Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: cabo dorado
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2016 at 07:37 PM
cabo dorado

my wife is down in cabo. she was talking to a couple about los barriles and la ribera. The couples parents had bought into the old marina site that fell thru in la ribera. They said that there was a new mega resort being build near la ribera is there anythng happening with this or is it just rumor mill?
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2016 at 11:02 PM

Here's a recent discussion (in April) of this. It's more of a continuation of the previous development by new owners: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=82743#pid1030...

[Edited on 8-31-2016 by imlost]

[Edited on 8-31-2016 by imlost]
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 12:12 AM

All that info is for projects shown on the google map right here on the beach at La Ribera. Bledito is asking about Cabo Dorado which is east of us and right next to Cabo Pulmo.

They were turned down by the regulators and a new (and smaller) plan has come forward as Los Pericues.

Cabo Dorado said they needed 4.5 million acre feet of water and there is only 2.7 in the 6 or 7 aquifers above and around the proposed site.

The Van Wormer project, west of us, Anhelo, says it needs just under 900,000 gallons a day for their project --- that's about what we use here in a year.

[Edited on 8-31-2016 by Osprey]

[Edited on 8-31-2016 by Osprey]
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 07:02 AM

So there is a new project n. nw. of the unfinished marina? isn't that right in or near the marshes ? if so won't it flood out? what is the driving force in putting a huge hotel in a marshy area with 30 mile an hour winter winds. I remember being sand blasted on that beach you can't sit out there in the winter winds.
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 11:22 AM

wife has updated me Chileno beach is over run with new condos being built, the ramps are all fixed and it looks nice, just a small parking area for beach goers. progress is taking over the areas that once were open. next will be Los Barriles, Santiago,Cabo Pulmo and the rest of the East Cape.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 12:23 PM

Bledito, you're still not getting the big picture. Be careful about using a word like "Progress". Ten years ago they began the marina project here with 800 acres of land to develop. So far, one single house. Even earlier 486 lots were sold at nearby Lighthouse Point and there are only about 30 houses out there. Not that easy or cheap to find clear title land in the other places you listed. You should know all that if you were initially interested in East Cape.

If you're lookin' to buy some cheap land right on the beach with city services, you're too late. But you already know that.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 02:30 PM

Sorry for the bad info in post #2. However, I'm going to leave it there, as it's good info for people who are concerned with development of the area. Osprey - Thanks for the correction.

The huge development on the south side of Punta Arena (north of Cabo Pulmo & south of La Ribera), which was originally introduced by a Spanish developer was originally called "Cabo Cortés", and when resistance was met due to environmental impact, it was then modified and re-branded as "Los Pericues". These projects have both been defeated.

The developers then reorganized and the project was renamed again, "Cabo Dorado". It appears this, too has been quashed because of impact/environmental concerns, as well as lack of a good water source. The latest info I could find on this, was an article written by Carolina Herrera; advocate for Cabo Pulmo: https://www.nrdc.org/experts/carolina-herrera/mexico-rejects... which was written a little over a year ago.

Since, another east cape development; "Cabo Pelicanos" surfaced, though it is located approximately 10 kilometers south of Cabo Pulmo - just to the immediate south of Boca del Salado (near Castillo de Arena). Though this project is not dead, it appears the developer is being met with the same resistance because of environmental impact. there's a pretty good write up on it here (it's in spanish): http://elinformantebcs.mx/semarnat-paso-negar-la-mia-del-pro...
It's likely this development will fail, too.

Also of interest, CEMDA has requested greater protection of Cabo Pulmo by the Mexican government environmental agency; SEMARNAT: http://eleconomista.com.mx/estados/quintana-roo/2016/07/24/c...

More info on the petition at the CEMDA website: http://www.cemda.org.mx/pide-sociedad-civil-a-semarnat-prote...

bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2016 at 05:59 AM

I think , and as you say I may not have the big picture, but I foresee that once that hotel is built in La Ribera it will cause others to build. Homes will be built around it and if popular more will come sooner than later. I have a spot in Los Barriles, not on the beach, as that is out of my price range but near enough. The marshes will get messed up in La Ribera, I was hoping to spend many more years there with the migratory birds. There aren't a lot of areas like that around the cape. The money is around again. 2016 is almost over and they project the hotel opening in 2018. that is only a year away. those 480 lots will start to pop up homes and the area around the hotel as well. If that happens, and it is on course to happen, the entire town of La Ribera will change Cabo style entertainment is coming then to La Ribera. no more quiet beaches and tranquil surrounding just traffic and noise. Cabo Pulmo with it's close proximity and Los Barrilles and Santiago will also be affected. ten years twenty perhaps but things are definately going to be different for the whole area.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.