BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Diego to East Cape driving Advice
msimms92065

[*] posted on 9-15-2016 at 11:07 AM
San Diego to East Cape driving Advice

The wife wants to go on a two week adventure and we are planning on driving from San Diego down to Rancho Leonaro for a week stay and then heading back up. Looking for any advice for the trip down, places to check out, stay, good fishing spots ( there will be plenty of that), along with any helpful advice as far as the course to get down there, areas to be cautious of and any advice dealing with the checkpoints going down and coming back. I am not a stranger to Baja, but have never made such a long drive all the way down. I am fluent in Spanish so I'm sure that will help me. Thanks
msimms92065

[*] posted on 9-15-2016 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by msimms92065  
I am fluent in Spanish so I'm sure that will help me.
Out of curiosity, what does "fluent" mean to you?

For years I've been trying to figure out how people define language proficiency. In Mexico, for example, job announcements often say something like "inglés 80%" and I haven't the SLIGHTEST idea what that means. :?:

flu·ent
/ˈflo͞oənt/

adjective
adjective: fluent

(of a person) able to express oneself easily and articulately.
"a fluent speaker and writer on technical subjects"

synonyms: articulate, eloquent, expressive, communicative, coherent, cogent,

Hope that helps. :light:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-15-2016 at 01:59 PM

Well that was a non-standard welcome to the forum, but some of us here will try to help! Here is a link to a recent post about the same subject;

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83692

Come back for more info as you form specific questions. Again, welcome to the forum!

Edit; That wasn't the link I was looking for, I will try again later, there is a recent one with much more info!

[Edited on 9-15-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
msimms92065

[*] posted on 9-15-2016 at 02:16 PM

I have read through the forum and seen a lot of different questions and answers regarding travel down and through Baja. Just trying to gather as much info and insight as possible so we can enjoy the trip. Will bring an extra gas can, watch for the vados and obviously ensure we have time to enjoy the beautiful scenery and views.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2016 at 02:32 PM

Welcome to the peninsula. I'm sure you'll receive much advice here from seasoned travelers.

Knowing Spanish is a huge plus. Smiling is also a plus in getting along with these kind people who live here.

Be sure to stop at the border entry station into Mexico and get your Visitor Entry visas at about $25/per person. Make sure your car is in good mechanical order with good tires. Carry water with you to drink and foods to snack on - some areas of the highway are unpopulated. Drive carefully, be aware that the highway is two-lanes and narrow, there may be animals on the roadway or even people walking or bicycling. When you see a car with its hazard blinkers on it tells the oncoming drivers to be on the lookout for a road hazard. Drive slower than you would in the US, more defensively and don't drive at night. I run my headlights during the daylight (personal choice).

Gas up when you have the opportunity and are at or below half a tank. Be certain to top off your tank in El Rosario (a good overnight place). Between El Rosario and just north of Guerrero Negro there is no gas on the highway but that is sold in jerrycans on the roadside in Cataviña.

Do stop and enjoy the food and hospitality whereever you are. It's a lovely place, gentle culture. Please check your u2u, top-right of page.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2016 at 03:02 PM

Personally, for the trip he is planning I don't see the need for an "extra gas can." Am I missing something?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-15-2016 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by absinvestor  
Personally, for the trip he is planning I don't see the need for an "extra gas can." Am I missing something?

I concur, if the OP is driving a standard vehicle on main roads. Unless I am going off road, or on remote roads I leave mine behind. A large gas guzzler with a safe place to carry a can would be a different story though.

[Edited on 9-15-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2016 at 04:06 PM

Checkpoints: Smile and let them search your vehicle. I usually try to keep my wallet and expensive personal items like phones, on me.

South bound they rarely check but north bound you will be exiting the vehicle often.

The soldiers love energy drinks. I had 5 taken from my 10 pack in San Ignacio last month. He asked for 5, I said, "how about 3?" but he still took 5, sneaking the extra 2 while I wasn't looking.

This isn't common. I've never had anything stolen at a checkpoint but this guy was kinda joking around and being very loose with me.

BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 9-15-2016 at 05:07 PM

I have never had anything stolen at a checkpoint either. However after 10 years of heading to Mulege or Los Cabos I had a first. Heading North at the check point North of Guerro Negro the guy found a can of Bud Light. He held it up and said "For me.?" I said "como no" to impress him with my Spanish. (Of course) I wouldn't say any thing else to a teenager with a rifle. :-)
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2016 at 05:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
The soldiers love energy drinks. I had 5 taken from my 10 pack in San Ignacio last month. He asked for 5, I said, "how about 3?" but he still took 5, sneaking the extra 2 while I wasn't looking.

When we travel down there, the two things I hide are energy drinks and any branded race team clothing. Several years ago, a soldier at the southbound Vizcaino inspection station all but demanded that I give him this really cool, COPS Racing-branded cold-weather jacket. We went back and forth several times - finally, my screaming NO! ended the conversation. Branded hoodies get transported inside-out.

BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 9-15-2016 at 07:08 PM

I've had shiny tools stolen a couple time (guess i don't learn) from the door bins by the military--and they usually ask for my flashlight??
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2016 at 07:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  

When we travel down there, the two things I hide are energy drinks and any branded race team clothing. Several years ago, a soldier at the southbound Vizcaino inspection station all but demanded that I give him this really cool, COPS Racing-branded cold-weather jacket. We went back and forth several times - finally, my screaming NO! ended the conversation. Branded hoodies get transported inside-out.

Smart..........I didn't properly pack my drinks and had them sitting on the drivers side back window, then rolled the windows down to expose the prize. I had just drove 500 miles solo and just wanted to be waved thru to get to my hotel room in San Ignacio.

The 1000 is coming...........are you getting excited?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.