Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mex 5, again Trip Report Added
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 08:58 AM
Mex 5, again Trip Report Added

Trying to decide how to get back to Loreto. Driving Subaru AWD but no particular off road skills and no tire changing experience. Am okay with two hours of slow dirt road if car and I can make it. Enough traffic if there's a problem? Anyone done this route in recent days to offer opinion? Ten years of driving Mex 1, so newbie only to this route

Also, suggestions as to where to stay to break up the trip? San Felipe? Have never been...hotel suggestions? Gonzaga bay? Need reservations there, if so, best contact number?

[Edited on 10-15-2016 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 09:05 AM

Piece of cake, 23 unpaved, but graded highway, construction crews, lots of commercial traffic now to cut 2 hours or more of their drive from Mexicali to La Paz. Just go slow, tires best is lowered by 1/3, not mandatory.

Any Baja traveler should have quality tires, a good electric air pump (deflating for dirt roads or crossing deep sand is just too common in Baja to not practice this), tire hole plug kit... fix on the spot most punctures and refill with your pump. If sand driving, lower by 1/2 or more if needed... don't let tires spin!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 12:49 PM

The Subaru will be just fine. As David said, have good quality tires and take it easy, no need to air down. Where to stay is a little bit of an issue. If you're trying to make it a two day trip, San Felipe to Loreto is a long day especially now that the sun sets earlier. Someone needs to build a good overnight motel near the 5 - 1 intersection, that would be a money maker. We have made it from San Juan Capistrano to GN via 5 but it's a long day.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 01:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
The Subaru will be just fine. As David said, have good quality tires and take it easy, no need to air down. Where to stay is a little bit of an issue. If you're trying to make it a two day trip, San Felipe to Loreto is a long day especially now that the sun sets earlier. Someone needs to build a good overnight motel near the 5 - 1 intersection, that would be a money maker. We have made it from San Juan Capistrano to GN via 5 but it's a long day.

Willing, and expecting two nights on the road. San Felipe or Gonzaga are the only choices, right?

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 01:25 PM

last month I had some guests go that way that live in Mexicali...

13 hours...Mexicali to mulege...Toyota suv...big tires

vehicle looked pretty beat up from the gravel and dust

they said it was slow but took that road back too

you'll make it...just keep pesos in you purse : )

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  

Willing, and expecting two nights on the road. San Felipe or Gonzaga are the only choices, right?

L.A. Bay is 40 paved miles off the main road and so beautiful you might kick yourself for not seeing it sooner. Many motels and camping cabins there.

San Felipe is 2.5 hours from the border, lots of motels. Gonzaga is 2 more hours south, one pricey motel at Alfonsina's, and sportsman cabins at El Sacrificio.

L.A. Bay is 105 more miles and 3-4 hours beyond.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 02:39 PM

you will be fine. nothing on this road requiring you lower your air pressure and take it easy so you will not get any rock punctures.

Common sense prevails.
ncampion
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 05:24 PM

Gonzaga would be a good stop point but Alfonsina's is the only game in town and if they're full you're outta luck unless you can camp. I've never had good luck getting a hold of them to make reservations and I've heard of people having reservations and not having a room when they get there.

fish101
Nomad

Mood: energized

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 06:21 PM

When I came down the last week of September with my motorhome, I stayed overnight in San Felipe and it was an easy drive the next day from there to Guerro Negro for an over nighter there, also.. Stop to say "HELLO" to Coco at Coco's Corner as it is a good stopping point for a little break after the first 11 miles of dirt road..You will be fine driving that way for the first time...

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Piece of cake, 23 unpaved, but graded highway, construction crews, lots of commercial traffic now to cut 2 hours or more of their drive from Mexicali to La Paz. Just go slow, tires best is lowered by 1/3, not mandatory.

Any Baja traveler should have quality tires, a good electric air pump (deflating for dirt roads or crossing deep sand is just too common in Baja to not practice this), tire hole plug kit... fix on the spot most punctures and refill with your pump. If sand driving, lower by 1/2 or more if needed... don't let tires spin!

DK, most Baja travelers are staying on pavement, doing little or no significant driving on unpaved roads. They don't need air pumps and patch kits. A spare is enough.
Also, you give bad advise to say people should travel on under inflated passenger tires like on stock Subaru. That's just asking for a pinch flat.
I drive regular P metric AT tires on a 4Runner and very rarely lower air pressure, the vast majority of unpaved roads are fine in tires at normal pressure, in fact 99.9% of the unpaved roads in Baja don't even require engaging 4wd.
I suppose if you run rock hard D or E tires you should deflate your tires, as those tires are like concrete and have no dampening effect, just transmit every bump to your kidneys.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 06:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

DK, most Baja travelers are staying on pavement, doing little or no significant driving on unpaved roads. They don't need air pumps and patch kits. A spare is enough.
Also, you give bad advise to say people should travel on under inflated passenger tires like on stock Subaru. That's just asking for a pinch flat.
I drive regular P metric AT tires on a 4Runner and very rarely lower air pressure, the vast majority of unpaved roads are fine in tires at normal pressure, in fact 99.9% of the unpaved roads in Baja don't even require engaging 4wd.
I suppose if you run rock hard D or E tires you should deflate your tires, as those tires are like concrete and have no dampening effect, just transmit every bump to your kidneys.

It's not every day....not even once a month but every now and then I agree with the goat.....don't worry, the sun will shine tomorrow....

Unless you are in soft sand, as in on the beach you shouldn't air down. Your chances of puncturing a sidewall goes up dramatically on underinflated tires. Your tread is reinforced and if in good condition and properly inflated will handle whatever the dreaded 23 miles can dish out.

Just drive down the road, that's all there is to it. If it is too rough slow down a bit, if you are bored speed up a bit, if you see a big sharp rock sticking up try to miss it. That's really all there is to it.....really....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 07:31 PM

Facts:
I use cheaper than most, P metric tires, not E rated truck tires. BFG Rugged Trail TAs (what came with new Tacoma Off Road TRDs) are P metric radial tires. I have run Pep Boys Dakota ATs and Hankook Dynapro ATM tires since.

When I ran at street pressure on these tires, I frequently got sharp rock punctures in Baja. Once I deflated on graded roads, only 1/3 or from 35psi to 25 psi, I have almost eliminated sharp rocks cuts. 25 psi is not under inflated for dirt roads. In fact, most hard core off roaders run much less, just ask 4x4abc or others. In sand, then I drop to 1/2 or 18-20 psi. Always refill to street pressure for paved roads.

Having a tire plug kit and air pump in Baja (or anywhere) is SMART!

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 08:17 PM

Thanks all. I now have no concerns about taking Mex 5. However, wish I'd decided the route before buying all the stuff and packing it. Too much work to pull it all out again and secure it for the two hours of rough road. So, one more time down Hwy 1. Will do 5 next time going north.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 08:24 PM

Thanks all. I now have no concerns about taking Mex 5. However, wish I'd decided the route before buying all the stuff and packing it. Too much work to pull it all out again and secure it for the two hours of rough road. So, one more time down Hwy 1. Will do 5 next time going north.

Too bad you have been scared off. It is not that rough. Last 2 trips down I pulled a flat bed trailer loaded with stuff without a problem. I just don't go real fast....also saves the tires from getting rock cuts.
ncampion
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 09:01 PM

Give it a try Roberta, so much less stressful than the northern part of the Mex 1 route. The dirt section is nothing.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 09:05 PM

Why would you pack a car differently for paved vs unpaved?
The un paved road is not very bad, it is frequently traveled (there is much traffic) and graded. It's just an unpaved road.

[Edited on 10-7-2016 by mtgoat666]
fish101
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2016 at 10:55 PM

If your coming from Phoenix, go to Yuma, take the 195 South to San Luis Rio Colorado , easy crossing. Get on Highway 2 for a few miles to Mexicali and get on 5 south to San Felipe. Less stress going that way and you can save approx. 200 miles. Beautiful scenery along the new highway through Gonzaga.. No need to repack, that road is not that bad.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2016 at 06:54 AM

2am decision...San Felipe it is! Thanks to all. Will post a "newbie" trip report from an old Nomad when I get home.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-7-2016 at 07:07 AM

No one mentioned it yet, but watch your speed and the vados south of the San Felipe airport. They will put your Subaru airborne and you won't have to worry about repacking :bounce::biggrin::bounce:
fish101
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2016 at 03:07 PM

When you get to Loreto, send a "smoke signal out" so we know you made it safely. I think you will enjoy the Gonzaga Highway after you leave San Felipe. Yes, bajaguy mentioned the Vados after you get past the Airport turn off and for 30 or 40 miles or so. They creep up on you, so when you see the signage warning you, SLOW DOWN.. Most of the potholes have been filled recently in that stretch of highway and I had no problem with the motorhome towing my JEEP.. Good luck.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.