Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: ATM issues
wlynch43

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 07:31 AM
ATM issues

hi all. Down here in Mulege. Darn ATM at banks very fussy about giving money to us. Many times says transaction not authorized, then all of a sudden will work. Mostly though we are denied. Do we have to go into a teller or??? Even when in South America never had ANY issues there, even in most remote areas. Even internet was better there....whats up here in baja anyway!!! Thxs
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 07:43 AM

you answered your own question...the ATM/internet...if bank can't connect to your bank, no dinero. surprised that it happens often?

[Edited on 10-23-2016 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 08:34 AM

yes it seems to be linked to our damaged and thus abysmal internet here in central baja. The connection drops in and out so you must try try and try again until you get lucky and have enough time to complete a transaction before the signal goes off.

It really is a huge problem especially for businesses who order and receive payments via internet banking and everyone is peeed about it. So it's a good idea to withdraw the maximum you can each time.

Seems it is less of a problem with local mexican bank cards so also wise to open a local bank account if possible. The internet seems to only partially work much of the time so if you need to go to a third party site say on international transactions...it just wont go there:fire:

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 08:50 AM

Try a different bank box.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
wlynch43

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:10 AM

thanks. just tried again, instantly denied, little icon didnt even spin around for a while before saying no. have been told three tries and machine will take your card, banks closed today so will head up to santa rosalia and try. if no money we must come home today, down to our last 400 American. Very very frustrating!!!! If we ever come back down this way even though I dont want to will bring all cash needed. thxs
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:19 AM

I don't use the ATM's but a friend recently had troubles both in Mulege and Santa Rosalia. 2nd try at the Lay store and she got a limited withdrawal.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:26 AM

Inside the Walmart in La Paz, there are ATM's from two different backs. I have been there a couple of times when one machine would work, but the other didn't!

I wish I had kept track of which bank was more reliable.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wlynch43  
thanks. just tried again, instantly denied, little icon didnt even spin around for a while before saying no. have been told three tries and machine will take your card, banks closed today so will head up to santa rosalia and try. if no money we must come home today, down to our last 400 American. Very very frustrating!!!! If we ever come back down this way even though I dont want to will bring all cash needed. thxs

Did you tell your bank you where going to Mexico? My bank (usaa) has a automatic block for Mexico built into the system. You must give them travel notice. Very annoying.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:34 AM

Last Wednesday I had the same problem exactly with the Bancomer box in Costco Ensenada. Went across the street to an HSBC box and hit a jackpot.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:41 AM

I have had USAA for over 40 years and have never had a problem with their service or practices. I do not find giving them my travel plans annoying, they are just protection your (and their) interests......and money

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Did you tell your bank you where going to Mexico? My bank (usaa) has a automatic block for Mexico built into the system. You must give them travel notice. Very annoying.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:41 AM

One of the vehicles in our group (last month) did not bring enough cash, they had thought the money exchange at the border could use their card to buy pesos, I didn't hear of their problem until the second or third day.

When we got to the first town with a bank after San Felipe (which was Vizcaino), the Bancomer ATM worked just fine for them.

So, as you are northbound, the next town after San Ignacio (about 45 miles I think) is Vizcaino... the bank with like three ATMs in front is just north of the Bahia Asuncion and Tortugas highway junction, on your right... You get into the parallel business access lane. It is next to the Pro One auto parts store and a mechanic shop.

EDIT: Just read the last replies, and if you did not let your bank know you may be using the card in Mexico, then try to contact them. I am with Chase, and they are alerted by me should I have an emergency and need to use my debit card. As a rule, I do not use plastic in Mexico.

[Edited on 10-23-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:42 AM

I wonder if where makes a difference, border towns maybe they don't block? never had a problem in rosarito/ensenada with CS or Cap1 cards?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

I wonder if where makes a difference, border towns maybe they don't block? never had a problem in rosarito/ensenada with CS or Cap1 cards?

Its the bank that does the block against foreign transactions...If you are down here all the time you can have the block lifted permanently (periodic updates) or at least my bank does.

[Edited on 10-23-2016 by rts551]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 11:16 AM

not only that - every single bank here has a different amount that they OK. when in doubt, Les changes the amount down to see if that works and sometimes it does. Even though his bank gives him a $500 limit.

but the absolute worst is when the machine tells you it has given out money and it hasn't. No fun at all and we have had to contact bank in US and wait for a refund.

Wish you luck and remember that you can pay supermarkets and gas with a cc. Won't that enable you to stay longer?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 11:25 AM

Blanca, that is why it is nice to go to the bank in Vizcaino during business hours. They have people right there to help if there is a problem. Machine did not dispense money one time and they corrected it on the spot.
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 01:47 PM

After almost two years with virtually no issues with getting cash at the Bancomer in Vizcaino, I have also been having problems in the last month and for me it appears to be specific to the Bancomer network. I have on two ocaisions now traveled on to GN when the Viz ATM failed me. The Bancomer ATM at the Pemex station failed the same way by not authorizing my transaction. Drove up the street to Banamex and had no problems. When I called my bank about the issue they indicated that they did not even see the attempts of the transactions on their network and would appear that Bancomer had a network issue. Traveling 150 miles round trip to get cash in Vizcaino was bad enough but now I added another 100 miles to the task. Hope it get fixed soon.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 02:22 PM

Ralph, Les only goes during business hours and the two times he has had issues, no one inside could help him sort it out, or so they said.

You have the magic touch!

I did not realize there is a bancomer at the Pemex in Viz.

Rossman - I feel for you and I feel for us. Bloody ridiculous.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 02:38 PM

a good reason to have multiple debit cards, when the ATM is working stockpile some cash! ;)
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 03:05 PM

blanca....the Bancomer ATM machine is at the GN Pemex not Vizcaino. Ya gotta go in expecting frustration and try different machines, different amounts etc and try a whack of times and ya might get lucky.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 03:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
blanca....the Bancomer ATM machine is at the GN Pemex not Vizcaino. Ya gotta go in expecting frustration and try different machines, different amounts etc and try a whack of times and ya might get lucky.

Yup, that's correct. Sorry my post was a little fuzzy on the location.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.