Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Traveling to Mulege Nov-18th... Baja 1000...??? Mex1 vs Mex5
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

puzzled.gif posted on 10-28-2016 at 03:55 PM
Traveling to Mulege Nov-18th... Baja 1000...??? Mex1 vs Mex5

Hi BajaNomads,

We're planning on traveling to Mulege on November the 18th but I just learned that the Baja 1000 is in full gear that day so I'm thinking that getting thru Ensenada to El Rosario is going to be more than crazy, we plan to leave Chula Vista around 1:00pm and stay overnight in El Rosario (already have reservation) but with the 1000 going on we just might drive down Mex 5 to Chapala and on to Mex 1, my biggest concern is that I'm towing a 16' boat with a Long Bed '06 2WD, 4dr Tacoma, the trailer has new springs and bearings (last year) and good tires:

_BN_20160329_151437.jpg - 48kB

I don't know how long the unpaved section of the road (Mex 5) is and what the conditions may be, on the other hand we can just wait until the 19th and start traveling in the wee hours (3-4am) of the morning when the 1000 dust is settled (?) but then again the 1000 return may be on full blast by the time we get thru or past Ensenada... PLEASE HELP any input is greatly appreciated...

Muchas Gracias Amigos...

[Edited on 10-29-2016 by carlosg]

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 04:38 PM

Do a search. There are tons of threads and posts on Mex 5, Chapala, Coco's and trailers and RVs over the dirt portion.

In short, it's 23 miles of dirt. The most recent posts indicated that it was better than in the past, and was fine for an RV or trailer. Take it easy, let some air out, and you will be fine.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 05:20 PM

On the dirt portion of Mex 5, you wil be driving slowly, and paying attention, so you should be ok.

Hitting some of the vados at highway speed on the older paved road between San Felipe and Puertecitos is a greater hazard! Even when they are marked, you won't always know how many, or how far apart they are.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 05:54 PM

I really dislike that dirt stretch of road but under your circumstances, I would definitely take that route. I would have an extra trailer tire just in case.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 06:00 PM

both friday and Saturday....1 thru San Quintin will be a zoo. Take 5. 23 miles of dirt road....go slow because of the boat...

between San Felipe and Puertecitos go slow 30 MPH as the dips though the Vados are murder.
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 08:18 PM

I pulled my 17ft Crestliner down Mex 5 end of Sept. and drove it north yesterday without the boat. With boat pavement to pavement 1hr and 45 minutes. Yesterday no boat 1hr 10 minutes.
Haven't aired down for about two years because of the improvement in the road. The time it takes to air down and re-inflate its faster to slow down and just drive. From your house to Gerrero Negro should be a easy day trip. Have fun
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 08:45 PM

If you go down on Hwy 5, you will come out quite a ways south of El Rosario....and should cancel that reservation....could stay in BoLA or G. Negro/Vizcaino.

Don't believe everything you think....
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 11:40 PM

the 18th is race day and you will be dealing with mucho traffic. the 17th you would not notice much difference. the 5 is probably the easier way this trip. take the 1 home, and bring a spare for the trailer.... no worries.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2016 at 11:52 PM

about an hour and a half after you hit the hwy (at Chapala)....the town of Rosarito.... decent basic motel 20 bucs..... with a great resterant next door. easy drive to Mulege the next day
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 04:47 AM

the people I talk to that a "non-off roaders" say the road is still pretty rough...
last people came from Mexicali in a pickup (no trailer) and said it took 2 hours to cross the bad part

semi truck driver in town told me he goes that way to save gallons and gallons of fuel to Mexicali

i'd play it safe and take hwy1 still...much smoother...later the cut-off will work

I've driven thru the Ensenada during a race...these guys are way overstating the traffic
you KNOW what traffic is...you live in southern california

you'll have your family with you...and why ruin your vacation fixing a broken part again when you can avoid it

if you cross at sun-up you can easily make guerrero negro before dark making the second day way easier...IF you don't have a flat

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 08:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
the people I talk to that a "non-off roaders" say the road is still pretty rough...
last people came from Mexicali in a pickup (no trailer) and said it took 2 hours to cross the bad part

semi truck driver in town told me he goes that way to save gallons and gallons of fuel to Mexicali

i'd play it safe and take hwy1 still...much smoother...later the cut-off will work

I've driven thru the Ensenada during a race...these guys are way overstating the traffic
you KNOW what traffic is...you live in southern california

you'll have your family with you...and why ruin your vacation fixing a broken part again when you can avoid it

if you cross at sun-up you can easily make guerrero negro before dark making the second day way easier...IF you don't have a flat

You should stick with what you know.. Not what someone tells you.

#1 the traffic problem is not just Ensenada..It is all of HWY1 loaded with chase vehicles and spectators between El Rosario and Ensenada (this year is worse than most).

#2 10 mph is not bad on a passenger car or pickup for 23 miles of dirt road. You are not going to break down and are not likely to get a flat tire at that speed. its going 40-50 mph that causes rock cuts and bruises.

Go slow, be patient and you will be fine. Watch how the boat and trailer are handling the road and you will be fine. Lots of trailers, motor homes, and semis taking that road.

[Edited on 10-29-2016 by rts551]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 08:57 AM

Ralph is exactly right... and I would add, that when you get back to the pavement you go over the trailer and tighten all the nuts and bolts and screws on it!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

carlosg
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 10:06 AM

Thanks BajaNomads for all you input, seems like its going to be Mex5 and NOT Mex1... and as suggested

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
Do a search. There are tons of threads and posts on Mex 5, Chapala, Coco's and trailers and RVs over the dirt portion....

I did some research and these seems to be the latest:

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  

am very glad I chose the adventure of the new road. Its not faster, at least from San Diego, and at least with my driving speed, but it's a heck of a lot more scenic, less stressful, and I got to see places I'd only heard of in all my years as a Nomad.

easy drive San Diego to San Felipe. only confusing time was getting thru Mexicali to Hwy 5. I didn't research it, silly me. perhaps someone used to the route will post easy directions thru this big city. stayed at El Capitan in town, clean, basic, walk to malecon, price was 45 US but cheaper at peso rate of 780. at last an overnight city with something interesting to do for the afternoon/evening.

up early for beautiful cruise down to Gonzaga Bay. yes, every warning about the topes south of the airport all the way to Puertocitos is correct. keep the speed down so you don't go airborne. the dips look small but...

quick peek at Puertocitas, not much to recommend it but the bathroom at the Pemex was one of the cleanest I've encountered. new road begins south of there, smooth, wide, wonderful, complete with lovely vistas of the sea. many good pull outs and picnic areas. stopped briefly at Gonzaga Bay, checked out Alfonsina's (it was full or we would have stayed there. in my correspondence with them they recommended at least a three week lead for reservations) the rooms are basic, expensive but the location is superb and the convenience of only one night on the road would have been worth it to me. plus the great location!

about 15 kms south, the 'bad section' started. actually I kept waiting for the "bad" section to begin, and at Hwy 1 decided, what bad section?
graded rock road that almost any passenger car with decent clearance could handle. I can't speak to trailers or RVs, not having driven them, but I think I'd avoid this route for them. watch for sharp rocks and take it easy in the harder sections. we kept the speed down, stopped at Coco's corner for a visit and still made it to Hwy 1 in 1 1/2 hrs. lots of construction, some areas not clearly marked as to which way to go, but figure-out-able. no washboard until a bit on the last long section just before Hwy 1 which parallels the roadbed they are working on.

back on Hwy 1, we found ourself kinda resentful of the few cars and trucks we saw there. in the entire Baja section, from Mexicali to Loreto, we passed less than five vehicles.

since it was too early to stop in Guerro Negro, we headed on thinking maybe San Ignacio but decided to check out Hotel Kadekaman in Vizcaino. great find...clean, well run, nicely decorated, pride of ownership obvious. rates 680-880 p, we chose the larger room, numbers 16, 17, 18, 19. large patios and pleasant outdoor spaces for relaxing. restaurant right next door.

so...pros...beautiful, stress free drive with little traffic (but enough I think if one had a problem). a chance to see a less traveled...for most of us...section of BC. cons...not particularly time saving, at least from San Diego, but from AZ and points east, yes. the limited opportunities for overnight stops is the main reason for this, with daylight hours dwindling hours on road will be more limited

okay, trying for photos. if they load, note Subaru...dust only, no rocks, no damage, piece of cake

Quote: Originally posted by amigobaja  
I pulled my 17ft Crestliner down Mex 5 end of Sept. and drove it north yesterday without the boat. With boat pavement to pavement 1hr and 45 minutes. Yesterday no boat 1hr 10 minutes.
Haven't aired down for about two years because of the improvement in the road. The time it takes to air down and re-inflate its faster to slow down and just drive. From your house to Gerrero Negro should be a easy day trip. Have fun

We driove Mex5 down to Coco's last spring while staying at "El Sacrificio", about 2-3 years ago we drove to "Papa Fernandez" for the first time and encountered the infamous "vados" of which I'll be EXTRA careful while driving that stretch of Hwy.

I'll certainly be calling (616-165-8999) today to cancel my reservation at "Turista Motel" ($480.00 pesos double occ.) in El Rosario.

We may leave Chula Vista around 1:00pm and cross thru Tecate, bypass Mexicali on the toll road and head south... I may adventure and drive after dark the unpaved section or could inquire within Coco and ask if we could spend the night there... driving at night not a biggy for me and that night there's a 78% visible moon (wanning gibbous) that may help in the driving...COMMENTS MOST WELCOME...

Muchas Gracias Nómadas...!!!! :bounce: :spingrin:

TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 11:16 AM

There is a good Llantera where the dirt section meets Hwy 1. They will air your tires back up for a few bucks. They can also repair flats,etc. Besides your spare I would bring an extra used tire (unmounted) for the trailer just in case. Enjoy the drive and the scenery.
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 11:19 AM

There is a good Llantera where the dirt section meets Hwy 1. They will air your tires back up for a few bucks. They can also repair flats,etc. Besides your spare I would bring an extra used tire (unmounted) for the trailer just in case. Enjoy the drive and the scenery.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

#1 the traffic problem is not just Ensenada..It is all of HWY1 loaded with chase vehicles and spectators between El Rosario and Ensenada (this year is worse than most).

#2 10 mph is not bad on a passenger car or pickup for 23 miles of dirt road. You are not going to break down and are not likely to get a flat tire at that speed. its going 40-50 mph that causes rock cuts and bruises.

Go slow, be patient and you will be fine. Watch how the boat and trailer are handling the road and you will be fine. Lots of trailers, motor homes, and semis taking that road.

you know ralph I do know what I'm talking about this time...
I live on a rocky road and even at 10mph tires fail
rocks are sharp and unforgiving...
tires are expensive...at least for me

I travel hwy1 all the time...ive logged miles and miles
race traffic wont be bad...they all like to drive fast too

carl can take that gravel road if he wants but
I think I remember last year when he hit a cow on the road and a car at santispac and the boat broke...

in fact it looks like the truck fender was never fixed

seems to me I would want to be way more careful this time so my family has a better vacation

breakdowns and accidents are always stressful

our website is:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 04:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

you know ralph I do know what I'm talking about this time...
I live on a rocky road and even at 10mph tires fail
rocks are sharp and unforgiving...
tires are expensive...at least for me

I travel hwy1 all the time...ive logged miles and miles
race traffic wont be bad...they all like to drive fast too

carl can take that gravel road if he wants but
I think I remember last year when he hit a cow on the road and a car at santispac and the boat broke...

in fact it looks like the truck fender was never fixed

seems to me I would want to be way more careful this time so my family has a better vacation

breakdowns and accidents are always stressful

We will just have to disagree. I travel both 1 and 5 depending on the mood and time of year quiet often. The potholes on 5 are no worse than the dirt on 5. We also race/chase/pit the SCORE races. Chase drivers are notoriously dangerous. This year the course runs on both the East and West side of 1 through the San QUintin Valley so its going to be twice as bad. Next week I will head south on 5 and then back up on 1 for the race. Safe travels for all!

carlosg
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 05:55 PM

Thanks for your advise Ralph I certainly agree with traffic on these days of the 1000 and certainly will consider the facts posted here about the Mex5 conditions.

As for Bob I'm certainly not going to get into what happened and why regarding my "experiences" on that trip: every occurrence is part of the Baja experience, me and my family will deal with any stressful situation as we've always done and have fun like crazy... as we've been doing all along... we stick together.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 06:17 PM

good luck...you are a true adventurer

our website is:
carlosg
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2016 at 06:47 PM

Just arrived in Guerrero Negro, drove Hwy 5 hauling boat (16') and took a couple of Tecates and 2hrs from pavement to pavement, we drove around 20 mph (most the time under 20) but everyone was passing us except semi trucks, but cars, pickups w/campers and motorcycles were doing a lot above our speed.

Road from beginning to end has continuous washboard but nothing to be alarmed of, some but not many ugly tire cutting rocks on road.

Staying overnight in GN since we started our trip at 4:00am in Chula Vista.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.