Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Resident Permanente Format Change
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2016 at 07:04 AM
Resident Permanente Format Change

heading back to La Paz and I flew through Guadalajara. When I was processing through Mexican Immigration at the GDL airport, the Immigration officer looked at my resident permanente card and said I needed a new one. I asked why and he said there was a new format for the cards. Mine is about 3 years old. It's the first I've heard and am looking for information on any format change to the RP card.

Life is too short to drink bad wine
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-2-2016 at 07:40 AM

To my knowledge, RP cards do not expire. I just looked at mine.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2016 at 07:45 AM

Redefining the word "forever" on Day of The Dead. Who could be surprised? :lol:

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2016 at 07:49 AM

The Immigration agent did not say my card was expired, as like UDO I did not think it expires. He said there was a format change - which could be change of colors, location of the photo, etc.--

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2016 at 08:15 AM

:light:

Udo

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
11-2-2016 at 10:05 AM
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2016 at 10:24 AM

A few years ago Imagration came around (at Christmas time) and told me I had to up grade from imigrado to the new perminate card at $4000 pesos for the change. A friends son works in La Paz and she checked with him. $1400 there. Santa Rosalia immigration needs to realize their job is suppose to be to help us and not rip us off at every opportunity.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2016 at 10:36 AM

In Sta Rosalia I saw cops around Christmas going door to door, trailer to trailer, asking for donations. They at least were honest as to their purpose. Immigration doing the same - this is a new. Federales are supposed to get paid a little better, no? :)
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2016 at 11:59 AM

Santa ROsalia told me I had to change my Immigrado card to RP and it would be 4000 pesos. I checked with Mexico City INM (You can ask a question on-line). They said no, but if I wanted to it would be just a card replacement, 1000 pesos. I did not change.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2016 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
In Sta Rosalia I saw cops around Christmas going door to door, trailer to trailer, asking for donations. They at least were honest as to their purpose. Immigration doing the same - this is a new. Federales are supposed to get paid a little better, no? :)

It's a cultural thing. Part of the system. You can't take Mexico out of the Mexican no matter how hard you try.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2016 at 12:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Yes, the format change is just considered a replacement, at the cost you quote. So why do you think they're charging $4000? It's to be paid at the bank, which I assume means the funds are not available to the local INM guys as some sort of graft... :?:

I always figured Mexico would regret the forever aspect of their Perm Res status....like killing a cash-cow....and it seems they are finding a a method to resurrect the cow.

capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2016 at 02:40 PM

While I appreciate the comments- I have a RP card that is about 3 years old and was told it did not expire. The question I raise is there a new format that requires me to get a replacement. I'll check when I get to La Paz in a few days but I was hoping someone might have gone through the new format question and could clarify. thanks- Norm

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2016 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by capitolkat  
While I appreciate the comments- I have a RP card that is about 3 years old and was told it did not expire. The question I raise is there a new format that requires me to get a replacement. I'll check when I get to La Paz in a few days but I was hoping someone might have gone through the new format question and could clarify. thanks- Norm

Given the regional...local...personal... interpretations of regs and laws in Mexico, I anticipate your reply from whichever source you choose to ask to be a big, "Yes. Of Course you must."
I mean, even in Mexico, how could they impose change on a demographic with which they have no conduit of communication?
Keep us posted....and thanks.

capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 07:19 AM

Because my wife had business in the states she stayed an extra two days and flew to Guadalajara yesterday, and also went through Mexican immigration at the airport. She has the RP issued at the same time as mine, and in the same format.

Nothing from the immigration officer about her needing a new card. of course she is prettier and nicer than me, but come on.

I'll check in La Paz with immigration there.

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 08:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Redefining the word "forever" on Day of The Dead. Who could be surprised? :lol:

that is quite funny!
fish101
Nomad

Mood: energized

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 09:08 AM

Your R.P. card must have a CURP number and if it doesn't you must go into INM and get it added, so probably another cost to have this done!!!
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 09:27 AM

We both have R/P cards issued in June 2013. Last week we flew into SJD and proceeded through IMN. Only thing the INM agent said to us was "welcome home."

Our curp # is on the front of our cards. I am not an expert but was under the impression the R/P card could not and would not be issued until you were issued a curp #. Since we had our curp # a couple of year before getting our R/P this was not a problem for us.

Still an interesting remark made by the GDL INM agent. Please post any updates.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 10:36 AM

This happened to us on two occasions when flying into SJD airport.

Quote: Originally posted by karenintx  
Only thing the INM agent said to us was "welcome home."

Still an interesting remark made by the GDL INM agent. Please post any updates.

Udo

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 12:57 PM

I'm not sure that RP is killing a cash cow.

Total cost of RP - albeit non-recurrent - is around $US 300. Not to mention those getting RP through RT.

People with tourist visas would generate max $50 a year, and many will only bring $25 because they don't come there in summer. It wold take 12 years to generate $300 then.
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 05:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

People with tourist visas would generate max $50 a year, and many will only bring $25 because they don't come there in summer. It wold take 12 years to generate $300 then.

This is a very good point for those who drive but maybe not for those that fly. If you want to board a departing airplane from Mexico (of any foreign country you are visiting) you are required by the law of that country to give up/surrender your tourist form that you filled out on the in-bound flight. When driving you can keep your FMM for up to 180 days.

R/P or R/T are not required to pay the FMM tax that is included in the airline ticket. If they have been charged they need to notify their airline the next time they purchase a fare.

As for me, I do fly out of SJD about five or six times a year so doing the math at $25...it took about two years for my R/P to pay for itself. Plus at SJD, the INM allows us to go through the same line as Mexican citizens. Some Mexican airports I have flown into require R/P to go through the line with tourist.

gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 07:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Yes, the format change is just considered a replacement, at the cost you quote. So why do you think they're charging $4000? It's to be paid at the bank, which I assume means the funds are not available to the local INM guys as some sort of graft... :?:

I always figured Mexico would regret the forever aspect of their Perm Res status....like killing a cash-cow....and it seems they are finding a a method to resurrect the cow.

I'm not sure about the cash-cow theory. I spent a lot of money through the years with the annual FM-3 and then five years with the FM-2. I have to add in the cost of using a public notary when doing it by myself got too complicated and time consuming. And there were multiple trips to the government offices.

At least in my case I must have spent $5000 or more over many years. I needed to do this because I was working in Mexico and not living there full time. I was able to deduct the cost as work expenses on my income tax returns. A six-month visa would have been cheaper, but I'm happy that I have my Residencia Permanente now.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.