BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Has anyone done a claim on insurance from Discover Baja?
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2016 at 08:08 PM
Has anyone done a claim on insurance from Discover Baja?

I just bought another policy from them, the 6th or 7th, and this time I went all-out and got what sounds like very good coverage.

Has anyone here ever actually had to submit a claim against their policies? How did it all go?

akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2016 at 08:43 PM
Claim auto

I had a claim for an auto damage only claim with them.
All went very smoothly and I was very satisfied. Particulars follow.
I got hit in Mexicali, other driver did stop but then left. He did not speak English and I did not speak enough Spanish. A policeman came by and stopped but did not do an accident report.
I called the adjuster and he showed up and filled out the forms. Auto was ok to drive so I then proceeded to San Felipe.
I paid for a new shock which was broken and made arragements to have vehicle fixed when I returned to Alaska.
When back in Juneau I contacted the firm in Texas that was designated to handle claims for vehicles returned to the states for repair. They contacted an adjuster in Juneau to prepare another estimate.
Repair shop accepted the estimate with Alaska prices and I had the vehicle repaired. Cost was approximately $5000.00
I have no experience with an injury accident which might be different.
Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
I just bought another policy from them, the 6th or 7th, and this time I went all-out and got what sounds like very good coverage.

Has anyone here ever actually had to submit a claim against their policies? How did it all go?

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 08:58 AM

Over the years I've had several accident claims with the insurance polices sold thru DB. You don't deal with DB for the accident but the insurance company that the policy is with. If you have a problem with them then you get DB involved. I've not had a problem with any of the insurance companies I've purchased thru them.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 11:49 AM

akshadow, Was your Mex Ins Co. HDI or ACE? I believe those
are the carriers the 2 San Diego brokers represent
thanks for your time
akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 05:34 PM
claim insurance

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
akshadow, Was your Mex Ins Co. HDI or ACE? I believe those
are the carriers the 2 San Diego brokers represent
thanks for your time

I think it was GE (which is also one of the others you named) HDI maybe? I know that Lyndas insurance in San Felipe also represented the same insurance company. Sorry I do not remember which company but know the claim identified the company as GE my current insurance and 2015 year is also GE.

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 06:11 PM

From the Discover Baja web site just now:
At Discover Baja, our underwriters HDI and ACE Seguros are two of the most trustworthy companies in the industry.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 07:46 PM

I have been getting insurance through Discover Baja for 12 years. I've never had a claim. So, if you want to be accident free - use DB.

One year the company they were using went bad and they told all members to replace that company. This shows that DB is trustworthy, they could have just kept quiet.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 09:06 PM

Some/most Mex Ins Co's will state 'repairs are OK to be done
in the US', kinda of stating the obvious, as I don't imagine many of would want a vehicle of
any value to be repaired in Mex, there often is a cap on
the hourly rate ok'ed for repairs done in the US. This
amount can be woefully short given shop labor in the
US can be approx. $90 an hr, give or take. I was curious
as to akshadow's Mex Ins Co's, as they appeared to
readily pay the claim, I believe GE is in fact HDI
Lynda's Ins in San Felipe, next to the El Capitian Motel,
does use HDI, just happen to have bicycled around SF
a few weeks back and noticed that, I have bought day Ins
from Lynda's

[Edited on 11-23-2016 by sancho]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 10:36 AM

In 1995 I was in a wreck near La Rumorosa. Side swiped by a car. A lot of damage to left side from driver door back. It was their fault as the police report showed. Ins. co was helpful the adjuster met me in Tecate and took all the info. The insurance office was in TJ and about every other week I would call and they said they were working on it. Finally after 3 months I asked what is the problem and the lady said they could not find my truck. It was not at the impound yard in La Rumorosa. I told her no it never was it is at the tow truck driver's house along hwy 1 across from so & so cafe that I saw it just the other day. I had told the adjuster where it was when we met.

They were able to get it and it was taken to San Diego for repairs.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.