Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Dry Ice
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 07:10 PM
Dry Ice

After struggling with the cost of a Yeti type cooler and possibly investing over a grand in a 12v Engel type fridge, I'm going to stick with my Coleman steel 54's and .. A: fabricate silver bubble insulation cozy's B: Fill the other one with cold beer and dry ice, then tape it shut till I need it about 5 days into the trip.(remote pacific side) How long will my dry ice last in the un opened cooler? I may even try to semi freeze the beer cans to help the cold process along. Hopefully I can find a place to buy the dry ice in Orange County the day we leave.

[Edited on 11-23-2016 by hombre66]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 07:17 PM

The beer will freeze!
Only put dry ice with wet ice, to preserve it... then add to your food/ beer ice chests when the wet ice in them has melted. Dry ice will carbonate and ruin any fresh food.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 07:23 PM

keep a small chunk of dry ice in a small cooler with frozen foods for 2-3 days. use your big cooler with block ice to keep your daily needs going. after 3ish days move your frozen stuff daily that you want tomorrow into the big cooler. by then your block ice is mostly gone unless you have a third cooler holding block ice. then you can go 7-10 days by moving a block into the big cooler daily to replace lost ice. worst case, 57 degree beer from the tide pools will work in a pinch!!!

wanna sell the Engel?

[Edited on 11-23-2016 by woody with a view]

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 07:25 PM

DO NOT PUT YOUR BEER IN DRY ICE, It will blow up when it freezes.
We take beer both chilled in ice chest and warm, we get ocean water to pre-cool the warm beer and then transfer it to the drink chest as we need. That way you are chilling 58 degree beer instead of 70 degree beer.
Use the dry ice to keep your ice blocks for the beer super cold You'll have plenty of ice and cold beer.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 07:41 PM

DK,Woody MMc...all great instant advice I never knew. (I have yet to do dry ice in all my 50 yrs going to Baja) Had no clue about mixing H2O ice with dry. Still a timing and logistics chore compared to the fridge aforementioned, but campchores are part of the daily fun anyway IMHO
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 08:15 PM

If you can't make a engel freezer and a yeti cooler work, you are doing something wrong. Do you have solar panels for the freezer?
You need them. The charging system on the truck will not keep up.

You never used dry ice before. Why do you need it now?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 08:44 PM

I'm not sure but I imagine that dry ice is illegal to bring across the border?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 08:47 PM

msteve,I slightly misworded my orig post making it appear that I indeed did buy an Engel and a Yeti, Which I did not, in favor of keeping my old coolers. I don't NEED dry ice, I want to TRY it for an extended remote trip. Solar panels were considered with running an Engel, but added even more to the steep cost. Maybe you have a good idea for me as well, as did DK et al. Thanks for your input.
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 08:49 PM

Blanca, If it is, then I wont attempt to do it. Do you know for sure?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 09:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hombre66  
After struggling with the cost of a Yeti type cooler and possibly investing over a grand in a 12v Engel type fridge, I'm going to stick with my Coleman steel 54's and .. A: fabricate silver bubble insulation cozy's B: Fill the other one with cold beer and dry ice, then tape it shut till I need it about 5 days into the trip.(remote pacific side) How long will my dry ice last in the un opened cooler? I may even try to semi freeze the beer cans to help the cold process along. Hopefully I can find a place to buy the dry ice in Orange County the day we leave.

[Edited on 11-23-2016 by hombre66]

If on remote PAC side, it is not very hot so you're challenge is easy.

First, get a good cooler (buck up and buy a yeti, Engel, etc)
Second, freeze food before packing cooler.
Third, open coolers only rarely
Fourth, don't try to add warm food to coolers during trip
Fifth, keep cooler in shade
Sixth, ice never lasts 4ever, so eat perishables early so they don't go to waste
Seventh, don't store veggies in cooler, they keep for a long time if you keep them out of sun/heat

I doubt dry ice will last longer than water ice.

If you want to try it, smart/final carries it, so easy to find in OC.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2016 at 09:25 PM

Used dry ice many times, that's why I know what not to do, lol.
Blanca, why would you think it is illegal? It is necessary if you need your regular ice to last longer for extended backcountry trips.
Have one chest only for reserve ice, and put dry ice in that one, and seal it up until you need to add ice to your food ice chest.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 06:38 AM

A Coleman steel 54 is not a very insulated ice chest, nor is it very big.

If it was me, the easiest, most economical setup would be two Coleman Xtreme ice chests; one a 100 qt and one a 70 qt. The wet/dry ice combo in the 100 qt. and the food and beer in the 70.

There is a screaming deal on a Coleman 120 qt. Marine Xtreme 5 ice chest on Amazon right now. Could be an early Black Friday thing, I dont know. Maybe a little big for cooler camping; maybe not.

This is the line with the metal hinges and possibly the metal lid strap. If you are a prime member, 59.00 including free, two day shipping. An ice chest like this usually has increased shipping charges because of it's size.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Quart-Xtreme-Marine-Cooler/dp...
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 07:31 AM

Yeti vs Coleman extreme

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5m4asFxo8s8
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 08:36 AM

Link not working.

Can I guess that the Yeti won? It better at 3-4 times the price.

Actually, based on the message I got, maybe youtube is down right now. Will check later.

[Edited on 11-23-2016 by Hook]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 10:32 AM

You know what they say about buying an expensive reel instead of a cheap one?

You only cry once.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 10:55 AM

for what it's worth, dry ice is a gas and isn't allowed on planes. crossing the border in a vehicle shouldn't be a problem.

also, a friend of mine was a big rig driver that delivered dry ice and told me if i were to put it in a regular plastic type of ice chest, i should wrap the dry ice with cardboard or newspaper as the coldness will crack the ice chest interior wall.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 11:00 AM

take two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m4asFxo8s8

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 11:15 AM

All the incoming advice is really good! Hook, I cant handle a 120 qt after back surgery and 45 years in the furniture moving biz. The old fashioned Coleman steel belts are somewhat better than the standard plastic jobs, so I've settled my purchase options. Spent many an hour in comps with rotomolded hi end boxes and decided to give the silver bubble wrap insul homemade cozy's an experimental go. Thanks everyone for the education.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 07:51 PM

I used to get bummed out with the regular ice I'd put in my cooler melting and then everything swimming in water. Now I use square-ish containers (think gallon milk jugs), fill with drinking water, freeze, then use in cooler. No more mess and you can drink the water as it melts.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-24-2016 at 10:03 AM

our system when we go remote camping is a 2 medium size cooler systel...those Exteme coolers rock but only if you always leave the plug open so water drips out...I put the coolers up on something and put bowels under to catch the drip and that is our rinse/shower water or dishes.

One cooler only has block or chipped ice with salt sprinkled on it to harden it up...that cooler stays closed and covered and we transfer ice to the daily use cooler as needed.

I cant stress enough how important it is to let that water out the bottom...your ice lasts twice as long especially with salt sprinkled on it.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.