BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vehicle Temporary Importation Permit
SomebodyElse

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 05:53 AM
Vehicle Temporary Importation Permit

I have been looking at the various posts and information on sites about the need for a TIP.

We are coming to Baja in mid-January for a month or so. I believe we don't need a TIP for our truck with slide-in camper. True?

Since we don't plan long term, two questions come to mind for when we tire of Baja (and judging by the posts on this forum, that may never happen).

1. If we decide to drive (or ferry) over to the rest of Mexico where a TIP is required, can we get one, or do we need to drive back to a border and get one?

2. If we decide to store the truck and camper in Cabo and fly home for a while, is that possible at all (is the vehicle entered into our passport like in South America?) And if possible, is there a time limit?

I am sure there are some experts here who have tips on TIPS.

TIA,
Peter
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 07:01 AM

First, let's clarify the use of the term, TIP.

When you enter the mainland, there are TIPS for true RVs and boats that can last 10 years for around 50.00-75.00 US. A great bargain, but your truck and camper WILL NOT QUALIFY for one of these. Believe me, I know. I own this setup and they will not issue one for it.

So, that leaves the more temporary type of TIP for "standard" vehicles, when you leave the "free zones" (northern Sonora, all of Baja). In addition to paying around 50.00 for this type of TIP, you much also post a bond for 100, 200 or 400 US that is tied to the expiration of your immigration permit. The amount you pay for this is a sliding scale, based on the age of the vehicle.

In short, if you dont turn in the bond paperwork ON TIME at an approved station (always near the border), you lose the bond. And not all border crossings have one of these approved stations for the return.

Should you try and re-enter Mexico after losing the bond and attempt to re-apply for a new bond, you will be denied one. It is ostensibly Mexico's attempt at deterring the illegal selling of vehicles from outside the country.

I am not familiar with the process of getting one of these TIPS before boarding the ferry in La Paz. Others can answer that. With the ferry from Santa Rosalia to Guaymas, you are still in the free zone. There is a land station just south of Guaymas where you can secure a TIP if you decide to go south.

You usually can leave your vehicle in a free zone area and fly back, without any repercussions, IF you have not already gotten the standard vehicle TIP. But once you get one, the bond-clock starts ticking, just like your FMM (tourist permit).

One note of interest to owners of the RV/boat type TIP. That program is now about 15 years old. Some of the first ones that were issued were NOT 10 year TIPs (somewhere between 1-5 years, not sure). So, some had their original ones expire, renewed with a 10 year one, and that is now up for renewal. BIG PROBLEM, ESPECIALLY FOR BOAT OWNERS!!! Mexico is not allowing for any more than TWO CONSECUTIVE PERIODS of these TIPS on any vehicle. Imagine the consternation this is causing for owners of large vessels that cannot be simply towed back to the US/Canada! You cant keep your vessel in a marina, legally, without one and you cant get a new one. What are you going to do? Sail or cruise it all the way back to the US to sell it or begin paying US marina rates? Official importation into Mexico supposedly involves having to return to a border to begin this process, undergoing an inspection, and then the usual uncertainty of Mexican government paperwork. Not to mention the cost. Even importing US cars has gotten REALLY expensive in the last few years. What used to be <1000.00 US is now 2-3 times that.

Not sure how this is going to shake out, at this point.
SomebodyElse

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 12:48 PM

Thanks Hook. Surprisingly, the previous owner of this vehicle managed to score a 10 year TIP despite the fact that it is clearly not eligible, being both a slide in and over the weight limitation according to the Bancomex site.

But, back to my own situation, I infer from your answer that I can enter the Baja area from California with no need for any kind of TIP and that if we decide to drive around we can get what we need south of Guaymas at least.

With no TIP is there any vehicle paperwork that would prevent us leaving the truck in Cabo temporarily for some period? How long? Anyone know?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 06:38 PM

Hook, your post is one of the clearest and most accurate I have read over the years on this. However, I have made the trip many times between Puerto Vallarta and Nogales, and I have never seen anywhere to get a TIP south of Guaymas. The only place I know to get a tip on that route is about 20K south of Nogales.

The last time I did the drive was 3 years ago, so is this Aduana stop south of Guaymas something new?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-18-2016 at 10:31 PM

The place south of GYM is there. It is often referred to as K98, so maybe there is KM signage there. It is not new.

You could drive right by it, and not know. Poor signage ( there is something that states getting permits, but it is not as prominent as K21) and nothing out in the median to stop you. But it is there. Open 24/7, or so they say.

To Somebodyelse, there is typically no problem with leaving a vehicle in any free zone, indefinitely, but I am not in Cabo and would not suppose what is going on over there. I do know that many in Northern Sonora leave their vehicles here for YEARS at a time, with no repercussions.
SomebodyElse

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 04:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

To Somebodyelse, there is typically no problem with leaving a vehicle in any free zone, indefinitely, but I am not in Cabo and would not suppose what is going on over there. I do know that many in Northern Sonora leave their vehicles here for YEARS at a time, with no repercussions.

Thank you. I have also had U2U confirmation of others leaving vehicles in various places on the peninsula. That is good to know and adds flexibility to our lack of planning.

Peter
http://nomadness.benlo.com
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2016 at 10:39 AM

Maybe it's been stated above... so here it is again: You can purchase your TIP at the Ferry Terminal in La Paz (Pichelingue). I've done this 3 years in a row. I have always allowed 2 extra hours for the TIP process.... and was done in 20 minutes with hours left to sit and read. Super easy process, just remember to bring all required paperwork and 2 copies of all paperwork.

Looks like both destinations offered from La Paz will require a TIP as they are south of Sonora. Santa Rosalia to Guaymas... no TIP.

[Edited on 12-19-2016 by kiterkip]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.