BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Ysidro border, INM office opened?
GATO
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 09:02 AM
San Ysidro border, INM office opened?

Has anybody crossed the San Ysidro border lately and was able to get your FMM permit there (the building is on your right just as you go thru)? If so please state the day you crossed and the time. I'm leaving BOLA for next Wed.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 09:05 AM

It has been open for a couple of years. I almost always get the FMM there.

... and I think they are open 24/7. I've cross past midnight and gotten the FMM.

[Edited on 1-13-2017 by BigBearRider]
lineman bill

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
It has been open for a couple of years. I almost always get the FMM there.

... and I think they are open 24/7. I've cross past midnight and gotten the FMM.

[Edited on 1-13-2017 by BigBearRider]
lineman bill

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 10:10 AM

How about having to go to the bank and pay for the card and then go back and get it stamped? So it must be open 24/7 or has this procedure
changed?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 10:27 AM

I can't speak for the San Yisidro INM, but at Mexicalli (west) just before Thanksgiving, I presented my passport card and the agent filled out my FFM, I paid in pesos, he stamped it and I was on my way. Total border crossing time was about fifteen minutes!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lineman bill  
How about having to go to the bank and pay for the card and then go back and get it stamped? So it must be open 24/7 or has this procedure
changed?

The INM has been taking payment directly since 2012... no more bank to find open. They either have a separate teller in the building or the officer at the desk has their own cash box to accept the payment.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 11:01 AM

Why would it be closed? It's been always open since they put this facility in operation years ago. There INM guy may or may not be there, sitting in a back room watching TV or sleeping - hey, this is Mexico - but the office is open 24/7.

And, btw - you don't have to go to any bank. Pay to the Gobierno online, print your form, stamp it at the INM office - done
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 11:05 AM

Forgot to include the link for FMM online: https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/solicitud.html.

You pay by credit card and get the form and receipt from Banjercito.
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 11:14 AM

darn that link didn't work, would come in handy
I will try entering it another way
Alan
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 11:17 AM

You STILL need to stop at the border and get the thing stamped, and you can only use it at the border you pre-selected. So if you pick Otay when you buy it, but go to Tecate... no bueno.

It only takes a few minutes, just buy it there, and it is stamped then.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

GATO
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 11:38 AM

My bad, I was looking for the INM status this past week with all the protesting going on (reports of letting people go thru but no gov officials around).
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 12:05 PM

GATO: I understand your question and concern. There have been times when the agents at the border crossing at chapparal left the gates unattended during a protest and there was a report earlier that people were being advised to get their fmm stamped in Ensenada.

You can check talk Baja on Facebook for some current posts on the gas and border situation.

Good luck. Post what you want experience, please.

sbwontoo
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  
darn that link didn't work, would come in handy
I will try entering it another way
Alan

Yes, didn't work for me this time too. Then opened same link from Baja Bound (top of the page): https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/mexicoFMMonline.php - and it opened. BB says "in Spanish only", but they are wrong, it's in both languages.

David - yes, you still have to stop to stamp the FMM. Took me literally 2 minutes. You fill the form online. Yes, you specify where you are going to cross, and usually people know whether they will be going to Otay or SY. I didn't see anything out of norm at SY few days ago, though definitely increased police presence in TJ. A lot of talk on radio and TV though.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2017 at 02:08 PM

It is obvious, at least to me, the OP ? revolves around the gas protesters taking over the TJ border crossing, apparently Mex
Customs vacated the crossing, one MIGHT assume Imm did the
same, was a 2 day or so period where it was literally umanned,
a good time to get the building materials over, as well as the
Ensenada toll booths, which were free to drive through, reports it is
back to normal as of yesterday

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.