Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Banercito, Picheligue, and Baja Ferry to Mazatlan
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2017 at 08:32 AM
Banercito, Picheligue, and Baja Ferry to Mazatlan

Had a wonderful trip across the Sea of Cortez from La Paz to Mazatlan. I boarded the newer Cabo Star vessel and we embarked promptly at 8PM. Arriving 13 hours later at Mazatlan, back on the road at 10AM. My cabin was perfect, large, and quiet. The food served was actually better then the grub served on the Baja Star. The lounge chair & movie area is very nice, but I think the barco-loungers are not as comfortable for sleeping. Movies are high-def, in Spanish. The crew are very professional and friendly.

One note of caution: Do Not rely on the Banercito Office at Pichelingue (La Paz) for purchasing your Vehicle Temporary Importation Permit. Yes, it can be acquired there, but you better learn the office hours long beforehand. I made the mistake of assuming I could simply arrive at the dock 5 hours before my 8PM departure, and get my permit. Office closed at 3PM.
Was forced to cancel and re-schedule my La Paz-Mazatlan trip until the following day.

If one were to compare a mainland drive down 15D with it's tolls, subtract this expense from the ferry ticket.... a Car/Driver/First Class Cabin costs $188USD. Sweeter route to southern/central Mexico.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2017 at 08:55 AM

Thats great info! IŽll be doing that in March. What was the total cost in pesos?
Thanks
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2017 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Thats great info! IŽll be doing that in March. What was the total cost in pesos?
Thanks

Passenger: 1200.00
Auto: 1500.00
Cabin: 990.00
Dog: 0.00
Total: 3690.00

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2017 at 10:52 AM

Thanks Kip. Wow was it that flat all the way?
kiterkip
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2017 at 11:11 AM

This image is about an hour before our landing in Mazatlan. There were a few bumps just out of La Paz around 10PM, but then all calm. I understand that during a strong El Norte wind you will get shaken up while crossing near the middle of the sea. It's never happened in 4 January crossings for me.
Note: The beds are fairly hard foam. If you need an egg-crate topper, you might consider taking one. And, there is absolutely no access to your vehicle once you've left it down below.
surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2017 at 02:53 PM

I took the ferry boat ride from Cabo to Vallarta in '75 and couldn't stand to be below decks with the smell of puke below decks. I spent the night up in the fresh air purposely breathing deeply to overcome the rough seas.

The thought of having a cabin to ourselves would not have helped the roiling seas we experienced. I am not prone to seasickness, but anywhere but on deck would not have been advantageous.

I imagine this is why this route was discontinued not long after, with too much open ocean for the ferries to operate safely.

That I was able to experience it while it was operating has always been appreciated. I even got to shoot a few pictures of the Captains steering quarters at the time. One of these days, I will dig them out from wherever they are being stored and share them will all of you here.

For that matter, I have a number of 40 plus year old photos of Baja travels to share one of these days when I can devote the time to digging them up. Thanks to all here every day.

PS Yesterdays Crossing South featured the irrepressible Jorge Meraz traveling down to GN and going on a whale watching trip and the worlds number one saltworks producers.

I noticed one of the guides was an Arce who spoke english with hardly an accent. He has to be one of Juans' brothers or nephews.

I watch Jorge's shows every week, whether they are repeats or not and it is always a treat. Since I have a whale watching trip coming up in a month, this timely broadcast meant all the more to me. Bless you Shari. I can't wait, but will. I hope the current bumbling politics don't negatively affect this schedule.

Oops. Please, don't use this as an excuse to go off topic. I purposely refrain from commenting on politics , as that has nothing to do with why I log on daily.

In fact, I don't come here for politics. We all have more than enough of that to deal with elsewhere. Spare us please, here on Nomad, with wherever one stands in the political spectrum. Over and out. Peace, love and fish tacos. Thanks to all here.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.