Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sentri and Dropping Non Sentri People Off
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 06:32 PM
Sentri and Dropping Non Sentri People Off

A friend of mine has Sentri and and will be driving back in a few weeks. She has non Sentri people that will be in her vehicle and she'll be dropping the non Sentri's off to walk across prior to pulling up to the border.

Does anyone have a favorite crossing for doing this? I told her Otay would be best for convenience and closeness of Sentri lane and the walking lane.

Thoughts?

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 06:47 PM

I've dropped off walkers at both San Ysidro and Otay. They'll probably get across faster at Otay. Of course, you need to make a plan for pick-up in the US. I've found that easier at San Ysidro but I know it better than Otay.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 06:58 PM

Otay

Tell your friend to drop off her passengers at the beginning of the covered walkway.

As they exit the CBP building, they just follow everybody else along the sidewalk/roadway (Paseo Internacional). She can meet them at the corner of Roll Drive and Via De La Amistad. There is a strip mall there with a 7-11 and Eriks Deli & Grill (clean restrooms and Wi-Fi)

After she clears SENTRI, she takes the first exit to the right (Siempre Viva Rd)
then another right on Roll Drive
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 07:06 PM

San Ysidro crossing is easy as well, you can drop your passengers off while you’re in the Sentri line, it’s just to the right of the vehicle lines, there will be a CBP agent at the gate just before you enter the building. Just came through last Wednesday at about 5pm, 11 minute wait for us in the car and there was no line for walkers.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 07:34 PM

Otay is my preference.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 08:07 PM

Otay has the most food to pass the time if the pedestrian line is long. When your non-sentri friends see you sucking on a milk shake after they have walked up the hill to meet you is a great moment to treasure:bounce:

Es Todo Bueno
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 10:25 PM

hola,

we plan on crossing at tj as it's the most convenient for our needs. my son has sentri as well as his son but i don't. so, i'll get out and walk across going south.

however, i do have handicap and will take my paperwork and i.d. is there a preferential area for handicap people ? a few years ago when i walked back through going north at the tj crossing, i did notice handicap signs near the border patrol building.

i'm guessing they do have a handicap area for crossing north ?

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2017 at 10:31 PM

hola again,

i am in need of info on how to take the train or metro or even a bus from los angeles to the city of riverside and back again a couple of days later.

i'm having vision problems and can't drive at night so i thought i'd take a uber or lyft ( which i've never done ) to one of the above to go to my son's house in riverside...he will pick me up at a station.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

SORRY...i didn't mean to hijack the thread but don't know where else to post.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 06:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT  
hola,

we plan on crossing at tj as it's the most convenient for our needs. my son has sentri as well as his son but i don't. so, i'll get out and walk across going south.

however, i do have handicap and will take my paperwork and i.d. is there a preferential area for handicap people ? a few years ago when i walked back through going north at the tj crossing, i did notice handicap signs near the border patrol building.

i'm guessing they do have a handicap area for crossing north ?

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

There are two northbound pedestrian crossings at San Ysidro, the original on the east side and the new one on the west. I've never used the new, west side one.

I think the original on the east side requires less walking. If there is a line simply walk to the front of the line where it enters the building. There will be an official there to direct you to the handicapped line.

Maybe another Nomad knows more.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 07:50 AM

Perfect. Gracias amigos. She's gonna do Otay and just relax at the strip mall while she waits for the non Sentri people to clear customs.

Perfect. Thanks again all!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 07:55 AM

Have her try Erik's Deli while she waits

http://eriksdeliandgrill.com/

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Perfect. Gracias amigos. She's gonna do Otay and just relax at the strip mall while she waits for the non Sentri people to clear customs.

Perfect. Thanks again all!
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Otay has the most food to pass the time if the pedestrian line is long. When your non-sentri friends see you sucking on a milk shake after they have walked up the hill to meet you is a great moment to treasure:bounce:

Yes, unless you do what I did once and pull into secondary by mistake. Total brain fart on my part. I spent 20 minutes explaining to four different CBP officers why I pulled in there when I hadn't been flagged (long day of driving, it was dark, getting confused in my middle age, dog ate my homework, etc.). Finally got out when guy #4 turned out to have a sense of humor. Meanwhile, my drop off person walked through with zero wait, of course.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2017 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
A friend of mine has Sentri and and will be driving back in a few weeks. She has non Sentri people that will be in her vehicle and she'll be dropping the non Sentri's off to walk across prior to pulling up to the border.

Does anyone have a favorite crossing for doing this? I told her Otay would be best for convenience and closeness of Sentri lane and the walking lane.

Thoughts?

As others state Otay is best for this. To be clear CBP frowns on this and your amiga should not let on that they have dropped off people. When I have three buddies and their golf clubs are in the bed of truck I will have them take them so I'm not grilled on why one of me has so many bags. When its surfboards I can always brag about the size of my quiver. :saint:
If you know what I mean. :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 11:13 AM

What BajaGuy said. Otay.
Most of time the pedestrians get through faster than I do.
Make sure they carry their personal bag and at least one fishing rod or other personal item with them.
As driver do not mention that you dropped people off , of course unless asked , which I have never had happen

[Edited on 9-26-2017 by DawnPatrol]
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2017 at 01:26 PM
CBP viewpoint

Dealing with dropping off my daughter who does not have SENTRI, and preferring to use Calexico East, I thought I'd give a chance to actually talking to them at that POE. The phone rang at the SENTRI office and the woman I talked with passed me to her supervisor for an answer. The answer, at Calexico east at least, was to drop off my passenger at the street where I'd make my right turn to enter the SENTRI lane. She was unequivocal in telling me that once I am in a SENTRI lane I cannot drop off anyone or if I am observed doing that, I will loose my SENTRI - to be clear, I asked again "you mean way back at the highway turning into the various lanes?" YES! if you know Calexico east you know that is one heck of a long walk to the pedestrian gate! We've decided to come all the way across Highway 2 from Mexicali just to use Otay.

John M

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.