Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Punta Canoas
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 10:16 AM
Punta Canoas

I have been into Punta Catarina several times but only over to Punta Canoas on a bike. Anyone know if you take a turn off from the Catarina road or is there another way into Canoas? GPS would be really cool. Driving 4X4.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 10:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by hermosok123  
I have been into Punta Catarina several times but only over to Punta Canoas on a bike. Anyone know if you take a turn off from the Catarina road or is there another way into Canoas? GPS would be really cool. Driving 4X4.

Was there this year... last April: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86376

Back at the fork (20.3 miles from Hwy. 1) I head on the left branch towards Puerto Canoas, a small fish camp a few miles south (actually more east) of Punta Canoas.

0.0 Fork
4.4 Mina La Fortuna gated entrance.
8.9 Fork, lesser used graded road to the left. Go right. (Left fork goes to Evangelina Copper Mine, per Baja Almanac)
13.6 Junction with the shortcut road to Puerto Santa Catarina (10 mi).
18.4 Fork. Go left, south. Ahead (right) goes to the coast and the mesa of Punta Canoas.
23.6 A graded road coming from inland joins this road. Puerto Canoas fish camp is 1/2 mile ahead.
24.1 (44.4 mi from Hwy. 1) Puerto Canoas
It is 4:10 pm and very windy! Camping near here is out of the question, in a tent. I continue on...

You can use Google Earth to get GPS locations. If there are specific questions, just ask! There is the 10 mile direct cut across road from Catarina to Canoas. I took it in 2007, but this year, I drove back out to the main fork then into Canoas.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 11:00 AM

If you happen to go to Catarina first there is an old 4x4 trail over to to the road to Canoas. However if you take it beware of a 20 foot drop off into the wash shown on the map above. There is a detour about a 100 yards before the wash with an easy drive down into the wash. Look ahead and if you don't see the road stop and get out.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 04:27 PM

I got a u2u asking to show the additional maps I made south of Canoas...

[Edited on 9-29-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 06:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If you happen to go to Catarina first there is an old 4x4 trail over to to the road to Canoas. However if you take it beware of a 20 foot drop off into the wash shown on the map above. There is a detour about a 100 yards before the wash with an easy drive down into the wash. Look ahead and if you don't see the road stop and get out.

Whoa! How obvious is this 20 foot drop if you are going down the trail at a good speed?
JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2017 at 06:25 PM

We just did Catavina to San Jose (17 miles South of Canoas). I have that route if you want it.

[Edited on 9-30-2017 by BajaNomad]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2017 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Whoa! How obvious is this 20 foot drop if you are going down the trail at a good speed?

We were in my Tacoma and were right upon it. The road seemed to disappear so I stopped and got out and walked. I was maybe 10 feet from the drop off. The raod was pretty rough with ruts and bushes etc. Not used much. Even on a bike I doubt you could go fast except in short sections.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.