Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Quad / Side by side : other options
caj13
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2018 at 07:54 PM
Quad / Side by side : other options

OK Nomads, i'm hoping for some insights and experience here.

looking at a vehicle to run up and down the beach chasing fish, running errands in town etc. (primarily the east cape area)

So of course the 2 current go tos are either 4WD quads, or the side by sides. and they are very popular - as all of you know.

but I have a really hard time paying 6-8K for a quad and used ones are rare as Hens teeth.

and side by sides - seriously - the cheapest mule I can find in 14 K , and 20K seems to be the current standard.

In the meantime I can pick up a suzuki samarii, or even an old toyota pickup, for less than 4K, have a licenceable vehicle,

so anyone have any input on how a samarii works up and down the beach, (I assume thats legal, but don't know for sure)

or am I dreaming, and need to start biting the bullet and looking to follow the crowd?

thanks in advance
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-31-2018 at 08:04 PM

The samurai would run the beach just fine. See quite a few running around San felipe.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2018 at 08:11 PM

I have a jeep and a SXS but for what you want to do I think a cheap 4x4 would work good. If you want to go fast out zoo road then the SXS would work better, IMO. The Suzuki would work good and you can find parts cheap still on CL.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-31-2018 at 09:51 PM

My dad had a Samuri that he towed behind his motorhome and they are great little rig for what you want. They have low enough gearing in low range to run fairly large tires, but woefully underpowered on the highway!

I drive a 2002 Kia Sportage two door that is very similar capability to the Samuri, but with a larger engine and more comfortable on long drives. The Suzuki would probably handle more abuse than my than my Kia does though.

I would trade it in a heartbeat for the Suzuki Vitara/Chevy Tracker 2dr model, which I believe was made through 2006. They have dealer parts and service in Baja. and old Kias don't!

I have never driven one, but the Geo Tracker, which became a Chevy tracker, is sort of a second generation Samuri.

[Edited on 2-1-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 02:43 AM

I been thinking the same thing. But my conclusion is to by a real Jeep.
I've been looking for a cheap one that I can build into what I want.
Not a super jeep rock crawler but more like a side × side for trail riding and beach stuff.
I would try to light it and cut some sheet metal of it. Kind of a buggy look.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 06:01 AM

Your cheapest option would probably be an old school VW powered buggy. I have seen them in good usable condition for less than $1000.00. Lot's of cheap parts and skilled mechanics around if needed.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 09:41 AM

The older the vehicle, the more you will have to fix it. If you are good with that you have many options. VW buggies seem to need tinkering a lot. Samurai possibly less. Either would be a fun option and have more versatility than a quad. However, a quad it the best thing on the beach for chasing fish etc. EZ to get on and off and lots of fun to just fly down the beach. And you do not need 4X4 at all unless you want to pull a boat up the beach or something like that. My quad is two wheel drive and it works great. It is 12 years old and getting rusty, but I have never had to do anything to it but change the oil. Yamaha 350 that I think I paid about 3,600 new.

Truth be told i also have a turn of the century Jeep Cherokee that is also pretty great for running errands and hauling surfboards and grand kids and beach chairs and cooler and umbrellas down onto the beach.

I think if I already had a vehicle for town errands I'd go for a 2wd quad. And yes, the side by sides are just too expensive. They are great though if you have the extra cash to throw around for a specialized vehicle like that.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 10:08 AM

Nice that people are driving on the beach
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 11:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Nice that people are driving on the beach

Yes, it is pretty wonderful. When in Rome..

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 02:14 PM

we have a Suzuki...probably one of the best cars we ever owned...

way underpowered with the 1.1 engine
you need the 1.6 engine and for sure 4x4

we launch the boat with it because it doesn't sink in the sand...too light
if I used the truck...it sinks...too much weight

most of the time we have to use the truck to yank out the Suzuki and boat with a chain

it is easy to drive and park

I vote you should get a road-worthy suzuki

suzi.jpg - 80kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 04:18 PM

Making Baja Rome is an interesting idea. Notwithstanding what has become of San Felipe corridor.

Though, chasing fish on the beach in dune buggy is more interesting yet. Do they run that fast, those fishes? :)
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 06:12 AM

I do everything you need doing with our quad.
we're in BA so the desert riding is an extra bonus.
We go a lot of places a small 4x4 wouldn't or if they did it would
take a lot longer time to pick its way through.
I chase fish up and down the miles of beaches and can usually stay
up from the high tide line.
Beachcombing is way better there.
I run 4-5 psi in the tires so the the imprint is minimal.
Another bonus is the smiles I get from the local kids when
I take them for a ride and sometimes even let them drive.
I'm so glad we brought ours down this year.

sold out and got out !!!
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Making Baja Rome is an interesting idea. Notwithstanding what has become of San Felipe corridor.

Though, chasing fish on the beach in dune buggy is more interesting yet. Do they run that fast, those fishes? :)

Nothing to do with making Baja Rome. Who would want to do such a thing? Only using the old saying you may not have heard. "sī fuerīs Rōmae, Rōmānō vīvitō mōre" or "when in Rome, do as the Romans." Perhaps I should have written the whole saying. Silly of me to expect that folks would understand the abbreviated version.

And as to chasing the fish on the beach. Yes, they are very fast. Since they cannot breath air they have to make their runs with great hurry. Only with the help of a motorized vehicle can one hope to catch them.

Hatchling turtles are much easier. You just round them up by doing donuts around them as they emerge from the sand. Scoop them up in a pan, add a little butter and chopped onions and fry 'em up. Delicious.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 09:58 AM

Oh man, Tom, you're killing me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 11:05 AM

I've never been a fan of quads. Too dangerous and, frankly, boring. They flip over way too easy. Can't take them to really fun places. Dirt bikes are way safer and infinitely more fun.

A 4x4 would do 10x what you could do with a quad.

Side by side would be nice, but yeah, expensive. Look on CL in the US.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 01:26 PM

Why not (re)build the sand rail, truck or whatever you want exactly how you want it? It's fun, parts are cheap and you know your getting reliable car because you built it.
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 05:04 PM

A Chevy Geo Tracker, built side by side, on some assembly lines, 1988 thru 1996,with the Suzuki Sidekick They both were built slightly wider than the Suzuki Samauri which was given, purely in spite, not in fact, the misplaced idea that they would tip over. I have the '92 Tracker with over i/2 a million Kilometers (+300,000 miles) both towed and driven. Have owned it for 12 years. These are almost entirely the 1.6 L. engine, although a more powerful engine was made for a short while. Pretty reliable, a good 4X ( knobby tires help) can be fitted with AC, removeable hard tops(2), or convertible. Some are automatic, but most are 5-speeds. Things do wear out, just keep after that, find out where you can get parts. Among the lightest of towed cars, no need for a buddy brake setup where I'm from, this car will stay with the hitch (and the motor home) as it is double chained to the frame. Engine is a bit too busy driving on Arizona's 70 MPH Interstates, where traffic is at 80 MPH. Around town I prefer it to the Mustang.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Timo1  
I do everything you need doing with our quad.
we're in BA so the desert riding is an extra bonus.
We go a lot of places a small 4x4 wouldn't or if they did it would
take a lot longer time to pick its way through.
I chase fish up and down the miles of beaches and can usually stay
up from the high tide line.
Beachcombing is way better there.
I run 4-5 psi in the tires so the the imprint is minimal.
Another bonus is the smiles I get from the local kids when
I take them for a ride and sometimes even let them drive.
I'm so glad we brought ours down this year.

totally agree. another vote for the quad.:yes:
caj13
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2018 at 07:26 AM

thanks for all the input guys. I get the quad stuff. I'm just not willing to pay 5 - 6 K for a descent 4wd used quad. If I find one that fills the bill for 2500 or so - then sure I'll go for it.

The beauty of the samurai, is that lets say I need to make a costco run, or pick up a buddy at the airport, or store a car near the airport so I can pick it up when I fly in - the suzuki does all that, plus tows the boat down for launching, and does 4 wheeling. pretty flexable unit, and for less than 5K - a bargain, considering most SxS are going for 25K new.

That being said, I had kind of discounted the tracker, but after what I see here, and getting input from several other trackerv owners - the bigger engine, air conditioning, etc are very appealing. Right now in negotiations for a 2 door soft top tracker with a mild lift kit, tow bar, hitch etc ,
thanks for all the input guys!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-4-2018 at 07:34 AM

here is your parts and repair place
they "do it all"
and
have ALL the parts available

located just north of san diego

http://www.petroworks.com/

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.