BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Mandatory return of FMM commencing?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-22-2019 at 03:56 PM
Mandatory return of FMM commencing?

Just got word that someone trying to re-enter Mexico at Nogales, AZ was denied a new FMM because they had not turned in their old one. This was on a San Carlos message board.

Heard about this in any other crossings?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-22-2019 at 04:03 PM

It would be good to know if their FMM was the free seven day one, or the purchased longer term version. I believe the requirements are different, and should be!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2019 at 04:25 PM

I, along with others, have had Mexicali West demand the free
7 day returned, so I do. I defy anyone to run the maze, it would
truly be a feat to return any fmm at TJ. These Imm offices
seem to operate independently of each other. One thing said
is 'The Mex Immigration laws are what the Mex Imm officer
says they are, at the time you are dealing with him'.
They never seem to act in concert with each other. I
don't see the logic of requiring the return on one over
the other, one can over stay either

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-22-2019 at 04:43 PM

Hook, could it be that his previous one was still valid (active) and he didn't know it was still good when he went for a new one?
I can see them not issuing one if they think he is trying to have two.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2019 at 06:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Hook, could it be that his previous one was still valid (active) and he didn't know it was still good when he went for a new one?
I can see them not issuing one if they think he is trying to have two.

I really cant say. But that could be possible. It would indicate a certain level of computerization, I suppose.

It was posted on a board that is notorious for the moderator altering information and deleting posts he feels are detrimental to the "image" of our town, even if it is legitimate information.

Oh, BTW, he's trying to sell his house.

So, I havent posted there in several years and dont visit it, because of this. This was not direct knowledge that I can follow up on.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2019 at 08:57 PM

People who frequent that board tell me that several have asked the original poster about the length of the FMM and the OP has not replied. The post does reference the denial occurring "Sunday morning", so presumably it's been up for at least 3-4 days with no response to the question of length.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 07:55 AM

Thanks...
Yes on the computerization... they scan your passport coming and going (if you turn the FMM back in).

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 09:08 AM

A few years back crossing into Sonora at Lukeville my Bud mentioned that he still had his expired FMM at home. A supervisor standing behind the gal (drop dead beautiful) who was processing us said "you are entering Mexico illegally" and just shrugged and walked off. She issued us both our FMM. I used to mail back my expired but was informed that is no longer necessary.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 12:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
I
don't see the logic of requiring the return on one over
the other,

I "guess" they worry less about paid FMM because it was paid, while 7-day freebie doesn't bring money into govt coffers.

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 02:12 PM

I always keep my FMM inside my passport along with my Sentri card. That way, if requested, I can just turn it in when applying for a new one.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 03:02 PM

You should turn it in when you leave the country, not when you apply for a new one.

But then, it is not clear whether one should turn paid FMM in at all. Or - turn it in at TJ crossing.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 03:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
You should turn it in when you leave the country, not when you apply for a new one.

But then, it is not clear whether one should turn paid FMM in at all. Or - turn it in at TJ crossing.

Yeah exactly, where would you turn it in?

I bet less that 1 percent of American tourist which are probably mostly Mexican-Americans, ever bother to return the FMM if they crosses the border by car or foot.

I know half the time I don't even bother to get a FMM for a short border trip and for damn sure I'm not going to waste my time trying to turn in a FMM when Mexico has no known procedures set up to turn in your FMM when traveling by car or foot. Now if Im on a commerical flight I will follow the instructions and procedures in place.

However if you're going to live in fear. I think boefun has a good idea, and if it ever becomes a problem, you can always pull out your old FMM.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 03:33 PM

couple weeks ago same agent thats been there for years, no bank, no computer, but the almighty stamp and thirty bucks in his pocket.....I sure the heck won't be returning that one! :D
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 06:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
I always keep my FMM inside my passport along with my Sentri card. That way, if requested, I can just turn it in when applying for a new one.

Was a guy crossing into Mex at a Texas POE, had his expired 6 mo.
fmm which fell out of his Passport, Mex Imm officer was
going to charge him $5 dlls. a day for 100 days of expiration,
talked him down to $100 but he did pay. A friend who flies
TJ to the Cape, buys a 6 mo. fmm at the TJ airport, Mex
apparently doesn't collect them coming back due to the
fact it is a domestic flight. So he has a few on file. Have wondered about Imm
just pocketing the $, but for the last few times they definitely
enter computer info. Was a humorous post a while back on
a San Felipe site, a car with 3 tourists claimed they were 'hassled'
attempting to return fmm's while going back to Calexico
the person they were trying to return their fmm's to, told
them they have to return to Mex to do that, I then realized
they were trying to hand them to US Custom officers. Was
easier back in the day free fmt's, get blank one's from AAA

[Edited on 3-24-2019 by sancho]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 07:31 PM

:!:
Ignorantia juris non excusat!
:light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 07:39 PM

Sure goat, but whose law? Seems different officers have different views of the law. Maybe if the law they were enforcing was standardized in a book or Internet so it was the same at each Mexican port of entry nobody would be ignorant of it?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-23-2019 at 07:49 PM

Sure goat, but whose law? Seems different officers have different views of the law. Maybe if the law they were enforcing was standardized in a book or Internet so it was the same at each Mexican port of entry nobody would be ignorant of it?

So, you excuse is “it’s too hard!”

Like I said, Ignorantia juris non excusat!

Quit making excuses! You claim to be a travel guide writer for baja, so do you job! Do the research, and point us to the law, and tell us the law! No more excuses!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2019 at 09:58 AM

Mex Immigration Law? Does such a definitive thing exist?
I don't think so. I've
been told on several occasions, the 6 mo.
does not need to be returned. Whatever suits them at
the time are the regs. Even the other Mex resident classifications for
Gringos are open to interruptation

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2019 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

So, you excuse is “it’s too hard!”

Like I said, Ignorantia juris non excusat!

Quit making excuses! You claim to be a travel guide writer for baja, so do you job! Do the research, and point us to the law, and tell us the law! No more excuses!

No, I had no excuse or said it was too hard.
Is this really to hard for you to understand?
If there are no written/published/online laws about tourist border crossing rules, how can anyone be ignorant? Every time we talk to an officer of the Mexican government (INM department) we might hear the same as before or we might hear something different.

I have taken the time to post each time I talked with INM as to what they say are the rules (on that day, lol). Have you ever posted a trip report goat or is all you do take from Nomad without giving anything of value back?

Posting what the INM officers tell us each is pretty valuable if you want to do your best to honor Mexico's rules in regards to border crossing.
That's about the closest we can be to the current Baja version of a federal law.

The last time I asked them questions (Tecate August 2018) when I bought a 6 month FMM Tourist card, it was good for multiple trips up to the expiration stamped date (or one trip up to 180 days)... It did NOT need to be returned on your final exit (Because who knows if you might return before the 180 days that you paid for?). The FREE 7 Day FMM "should be returned" (he said) but went on to add, if it isn't 'that is okay, too'.

caj13
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2019 at 10:48 AM

I can tell you that I have asked the issueing agent for a 7 day FMM where i should turn it in. In both cases, i was told not nessisary, one guy told me to just throw it in the trash. this would have been april 2017, and dec 2018.

That old 2017 FMM came in handy when I flew in to SJD. On the way back to the USA, I had misplaced the FMM for that trip - I just pulled out the old one from my last drive in trip - they took it, threw it in the stack, and I was free to go! later found the original FMM - keeping it as a backup!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
3-24-2019 at 11:45 AM
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.