Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: First Timer - Looking for Guidance on the Way to La Ventana
Arcana

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 05:04 PM
First Timer - Looking for Guidance on the Way to La Ventana

Planning to drive my jeep to La Ventana to do some kite surfing and intend camp on or near the beach along the way.

Looking for general recommendations on must-see places along the route. My understanding is that it is fairly desolate between here and there but have also been warned that I could be robbed while I sleep.

Curious what to expect, whether or not those warnings are from people that don't know what they are talking about, or conversely if there are things I need to know/be aware of before taking this trip.

I'm planning on taking two weeks - 2-3 days down, 2-3 days back to San Diego, and about week of kiteboarding somewhere near or in La Ventana. Schedule is still fairly flexible. Planning on November or December, but hoping for early November as long as the KB season is in full swing.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

[Edited on 8-5-2019 by Arcana]

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 05:11 PM

Stops along the way depends on how much time you have.

Once you cross the border, how long would you like to take to get to La Ventana? One week would be great as there are numerous things to see along the way and camp safely.

Give us your time frame so we can make recommendations.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Arcana

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 05:21 PM

I should have mentioned, I'm planning on taking two weeks - 2-3 days down, 2-3 days back, and a week of kiteboarding.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 05:33 PM

Leaving from...…?

George Bernard Shaw

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 05:40 PM

better figure 4 days down - 4 days back.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 07:09 PM

2-3 days down?
You won't see a single beach for camping

November is not a wind month for La Ventana

Harald Pietschmann
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 07:25 PM

November is typically one of the best months for kiteboarding in La Ventana. You can use ikitesurf.com and see the year to year archives. Many kiters do take just 2-3 days to drive down since they want to be there as long as possible. So all totally doable but you'll have no time to see anything except hang out in La Ventana, you could also fly down, shuttle to La Ventana and save the 5 day drive time. In La Ventana the main campground is walking distance to everything.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 08:30 PM

With a late start, stop at Los Olivos and dine at Jardines, or for beach camping stop at Fidels El Pabellon.
Early start gets you to primitive camping at Santa Inez just south of Catavinia.
Next day to the beaches south of Mulege or push on to Loreto for beach camping.
3rd day gets you to La Ventana.

We'll be doing the trip down again this fall.

chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 08:50 PM

Great plan, if it happens to be a Monday at Los Olvios, try viejo Molino out at the San Quiten boat launch area, great spot as well. Time is always an issue, but if you could spend another day here or there, I would take a diversionary trip to a place you haven't been before, from what you are planning, it looks like a quick trip to Punta Chivato camping beach would be a nice diversionary tactic.
November is a tough month, to figure, a stellar month to hit Baja, and you may be able to absolutly cash in on some north winds ( during Santa Anas ) Thinking you should paln a full day in and a night of camping and then a day if you can squeeze it to enjoy the beach, you can be in La Ventana easy in one day from that area.
If you can stop at San Ignasio for a lunch time meal and walk the quaint downtown park area, that would be a nice walkabout as well, travel with patience and enjoy
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2019 at 09:08 PM

I have been going to LV for about 18 yeas and have sailing charts for each year. The first two weeks of November are almost always hot and lite winds. I would move your trip into December if possible and I think you will get much better wind. It is year dependent and there have been a few years where it has been windy the first part of November but not all that many.

I drive from Oregon and usually plan on at least a month including driving time.
Arcana

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 08:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wiltonh  
I have been going to LV for about 18 yeas and have sailing charts for each year. The first two weeks of November are almost always hot and lite winds. I would move your trip into December if possible and I think you will get much better wind. It is year dependent and there have been a few years where it has been windy the first part of November but not all that many.

I drive from Oregon and usually plan on at least a month including driving time.

Thanks for this. I'm flexible on when I go, so early December would work just as well. I'll move the trip.
Arcana

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
2-3 days down?

I have a ton of flexibility - can move the dates, amount of time I take, etc. Is early December any better? How many days would you allow for a few nights of beach camping on the way down with the expectation of 6-9 hours of driving each day? Figuring I'll stop along the way for food/drinks but for the most part, coastal scenic is what I'm going for.
Arcana

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chumlee57  
Great plan, if it happens to be a Monday at Los Olvios, try viejo Molino out at the San Quiten boat launch area, great spot as well. Time is always an issue, but if you could spend another day here or there, I would take a diversionary trip to a place you haven't been before, from what you are planning, it looks like a quick trip to Punta Chivato camping beach would be a nice diversionary tactic.
November is a tough month, to figure, a stellar month to hit Baja, and you may be able to absolutly cash in on some north winds ( during Santa Anas ) Thinking you should paln a full day in and a night of camping and then a day if you can squeeze it to enjoy the beach, you can be in La Ventana easy in one day from that area.
If you can stop at San Ignasio for a lunch time meal and walk the quaint downtown park area, that would be a nice walkabout as well, travel with patience and enjoy

I keep hearing that November is hit or miss, so might move to early December. Any better in your opinion?

Arcana

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Stops along the way depends on how much time you have.

Once you cross the border, how long would you like to take to get to La Ventana? One week would be great as there are numerous things to see along the way and camp safely.

Give us your time frame so we can make recommendations.

Thanks Howard. Super flexible on my end. Was thinking of 6-9 hours of driving each day and can go anytime November/December except around Thanksgiving/Christmas. Otherwise I have both months off. Figured 2 weeks was enough time to get from San Diego to La Ventana and get some decent camping and kiteboarding in at the same time. Any advice on safe places to camp (the more remote beaches the better), that'd be perfect.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 11:46 AM
I travel alone....with a dog!

I have spent a few nights in La Ventana, once in the campground, and a couple of times on beaches out toward the end of the road. The campground in town is a good one, but mainly because of a large rowdy dog I adopted, I stayed more remote the last trip. No bad vibes for me in that area!

I never got past the beach sessions for kite boarding, so I have no useful information about going to La Ventana vs Los Barriles, as a destination, but L.B. is one of my favorites!

Check out this thread posted by JZ; http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=92987&got...

If you spend any time down there and fail to check out that road, you will be missing out on a memorable part of your trip! The wind doesn't cooperate every day, so make a loop down the coast road, check out Los Barriles, then drive up Mex 1 to San Antonio, and cross back over to the La Ventana/Los Planes area.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
solosancarlos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
2-3 days down?

Wow, and you say you have been in La Paz for how many years?

Hilarious

Arcana, We will send you a U2U to save you time from having to wade thru all the ego bluster here.

[Edited on 8-5-2019 by solosancarlos]

apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 06:45 PM

This is how I'd do it I think:
Day 1 San Diego to Guerrero Negro , Camp at Laguna Ojo de Liebre
Day 2 Guerrero Negro to Bahia Concepcion, Camp at Playa Coyote specifically)
Day 3 Bahia to La Ventana, probably arrange a place to stay there. I don't remember any camping spots there, but I haven't been in like 5 years
Arcana

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 07:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by apple  
This is how I'd do it I think:
Day 1 San Diego to Guerrero Negro , Camp at Laguna Ojo de Liebre
Day 2 Guerrero Negro to Bahia Concepcion, Camp at Playa Coyote specifically)
Day 3 Bahia to La Ventana, probably arrange a place to stay there. I don't remember any camping spots there, but I haven't been in like 5 years

Exactly what I was looking for - thank you so much!
Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 07:38 PM

No disrespect to Apple but I disagree with that itinerary unless you leave at O dark thirty. It can be done and we have all done it but why if you have the time?

Keep in mind that it gets dark much earlier that time of year and in no way do you want to drive in the dark. Also, there is a time change as you pass GN and the rest of the way is one hour later. If you want to leave SD in the dark and hit the border around 0600 that would work you can make GN after a long day. Just do your homework as you are doing and play everything loosey goosey along the way.

As Paul says, "No hurry, no worry."

George Bernard Shaw

apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 08:32 PM

You're right, that first day is a long one, but there's got to be one long day if you're going to do it in 3. Bahia Concepcion is a must stop for me, but that's a personal thing.
I think Day 1 to San Quintin, Day 2 to Bahia Concepcion (or Mulege) would work well too
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.