Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: South Dakota domicile
msdmer

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 08:15 AM
South Dakota domicile

Hi Folks,

I am on my way to South Dakota to get my car and driver's license registered. Can anyone advise where in South Dakota is the best place to do this?

Thanks!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 08:36 AM

I don't have an answer for you, but to clarify your question, I presume you are looking for the best mail forwarding service to claim as your "domicile"?

I don't think it would matter which town you are going to claim as your home.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

[Edited on 8-8-2019 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 08:42 AM

For a good time, go to Sturgis right now!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
msdmer

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 09:16 AM

I don't have an answer for you, but to clarify your question, I presume you are looking for the best mail forwarding service to claim as your "domicile"?

****Thanks*****Yes, to domicile and mail forwarding service.

[Edited on 8-8-2019 by AKgringo]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 09:43 AM
South Dakota

Do a search here. Several years ago Udo Winkler posted detailed instructions
jedge42
Junior Nomad

Mood: Light and variable

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 09:54 AM

We use America's Mailbox https://americasmailbox.com/ right outside of Rapid City. Works great for us. They have a few motel-style rooms and an RV park where you can stay and they will provide a form showing that you stayed the one night you need to get a driver's license.

No connection to the company, just a satisfied customer ...

jake
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 10:11 AM

What Jake said.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
msdmer

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 10:45 AM

Thank all of you for the information. I spoke with America's Mailbox on the phone and they basically said that is was so complicated that it would be better to hire them!!
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 10:55 AM

It is very easy to do, anybody who can read and write and has driven a car before......

In order to get a SD Drivers License, very Important: you need to show your original Social Security Card, not a copy........I found out the hard way. They might still accept a current 1099 issued to you.

Address in SD:

Thank you for your payment! You regular scheduled mailing services have resumed. If you have any questions regarding your account or would like to update your forwarding address, please contact us at office@dakotapost.net or you can reach us at 800-477-2664 during regular business hours and a customer service representative will be happy to assist you.

DakotaPost greatly appreciates your business!

[Edited on 8-8-2019 by Fernweh]
msdmer

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 11:04 AM

It is very easy to do, anybody who can read and write and has driven a car before......

In order to get a SD Drivers License, very Important: you need to show your original Social Security Card, not a copy........I found out the hard way. They might still accept a current 1099 issued to you.

****************So, do you mean I have to get a mailing address service there first, or can I use hotel address?
Thanks
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 12:13 PM

Here's another business similar to America's Mailbox. Located in Sioux Falls.

https://dakotapost.net/

You get an address with a mailbox from one of these services and use that address to register your car and get a license.

[Edited on 8-8-2019 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
jedge42
Junior Nomad

Mood: Light and variable

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  

I agree that it is fairly easy to do, but America's Mailbox (and, I'm sure, plenty of other businesses) make it super simple.

One thing to note: I have not had my Social Security card for several decades and did not need to show it for my SD license. I had a valid CO license at the time (and, perhaps, a passport along for the ride, though I don't remember needing it), which perhaps helped.

An important piece of the puzzle is that you need some form filled out that shows you stayed a night in SD. I am not sure what the requirements are for that, but presumably that can be dealt with at other motels or whatever.

jake
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 01:15 PM

So for a fee, a motel will provide a document for the DMV that you were there, and another one for your wife that you were alone? :?:

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 06:23 PM

My stuff is registered in Pennington County, but I also use Americas mailbox.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 07:37 AM

What Jake said.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 07:54 AM

I'm a little curious why you are going through all these gyrations to register your vehicle?

I simply called them and explained that I lived in SoCal and had a vehicle I kept in Baja and that I wanted to register it in South Dakota. She asked the make, model and year so she could determine registration costs. Shed said to send that amount along with the pink slip and then asked where I wanted the plates sent.

In just over a week I received my new SD plates along with my new pink slip showing my CA address.

Why are you getting the drivers license? Mexico doesn't care if your Drivers License matches you license plate, only that they are current.

South Dakota knows a good deal when they see it. They are happy to take my money knowing I'm never going to drive on and wear out their roads just for about 50 cents worth of metal.

[Edited on 8-11-2019 by Alan]

In Memory of E-57
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 08:19 AM

I confess, I had the same questions as Alan above. Never had a problem in the States either with the fact that my driver's license is not from the same state as the plates on my car. This seems like a lot of time and money expended unnecessarily.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 08:39 AM

I agree that Mexico, and CBP don't care if the state drivers license matches the registration. I have vehicles, and residence addresses in both Alaska, and California, but you can't legally have a D.L. in both states.

Driving a S.D. plated car in CA with a CA address and license will probably get you a ticket if you are pulled over for any reason.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Driving a S.D. plated car in CA with a CA address and license will probably get you a ticket if you are pulled over for any reason.

Yes, if you are pulled over in California.

Same if you are pulled over (in Colorado) with a Colorado DL and out of state plated vehicle with your name on the registration. Big no no.

Citation will require a court appearance explaining why this is so.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
I'm a little curious why you are going through all these gyrations to register your vehicle?

I simply called them and explained that I lived in SoCal and had a vehicle I kept in Baja and that I wanted to register it in South Dakota. She asked the make, model and year so she could determine registration costs. Shed said to send that amount along with the pink slip and then asked where I wanted the plates sent.

In just over a week I received my new SD plates along with my new pink slip showing my CA address.

Why are you getting the drivers license? Mexico doesn't care if your Drivers License matches you license plate, only that they are current.

South Dakota knows a good deal when they see it. They are happy to take my money knowing I'm never going to drive on and wear out their roads just for about 50 cents worth of metal.

[Edited on 8-11-2019 by Alan]

metal? mine are made out of some kind of cardboard:coolup: so has anyone been cited driving in california for having ca. DL with SD plates, is it just a ticket or is a appearance necessary?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.