Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FMM on-line?
By crout

[*] posted on 12-10-2019 at 09:13 PM
FMM on-line?

Looking for some help here.......
If I am crossing the border on a weekend or off hours when the banks are closed, how does one pay for the FMM? It seems one doesn't just pay the fee directly to the official de migracion.
So, I've seen that the Mex Gov. has a form on-line to obtain the FMM ahead of time via email. I assume you pay for it via credit card. Do I understand correctly that 1) this works well? 2) it is valid for land crossings as well as air? 3) that it cannot be done till 30 days before expected date of entry, and 4) obtaining it directly from the Mex. Gov. will cost just the price of the permit and not the extra fee that private companies add on?

Thanks for your advice!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-10-2019 at 09:31 PM

The last FMM I got was at Mexicali west, just before they changed the access. Not only was I able to pay for it (with pesos) right at the desk, the agent filled it out for me.

It couldn't have gone smoother, maybe ten minutes max!

[Edited on 12-11-2019 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2019 at 10:00 PM

I paid for one online in May and when it came time to print it, I received a message that it was not ready for printing yet. It was still being processed and try again later. After over a week, it was time to leave and I still had nothing more than a receipt.

When I cross next month I'll just get it at Mexicali West, where there is a bank rep within the building.

Good luck!
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 12-10-2019 at 11:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The last FMM I got was at Mexicali west, just before they changed the access. Not only was I able to pay for it (with pesos) right at the desk, the agent filled it out for me.

I couldn't have gone smoother, maybe ten minutes max!

Pretty much the same with the new west crossing except the bank window is about 20' away. Super simple parking on the left heading south right before you hit the gates.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 07:00 AM

Crossed a couple months ago (October) Mexicalli West at 4 AM. Agent at desk. paid in US dollars. 4 of us. Took 10 minutes.
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 07:21 AM

I got my FMM on line a few days ago, paid via credit card got the receipt and then printed the FMM real easy and I'm crossing at Mex. West also, the day after xmas.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 07:52 AM

Remember that you still must stop at the border INM to activate the online FMM. It takes no extra time just to do it all at the border... unless there is a lot of people there, but that's rare. When you get an FMM online, you must pick the day and which border you are using.

Paying is no longer a problem and hasn't been for many years, you don't need to go find a regular bank anymore. 4 am or Sunday is also no problem because if the bank payment window at the border is closed, the INM officer can accept payment. He has a cash box.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 11:25 AM

For the past two years I got an online FMM.

In 2017 stopped and had it properly processed very quickly at Mexicali West as David K said, and then last year couldn't find the dang office and gave up . . .

Things did change down there, correct? If anyone can help clue in the clueless and direct me to the office where they stamp those, please do :)

For the first few years I drove down from TJ, I had zero awareness of the FMM requirement, and was never checked, anywhere. But better safe than sorry on things like this no doubt.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 12:15 PM

The INM office seems to always be in the FIRST building across the border. Park as soon as you can in Mexico and ask anyone for "migra" but walk into the building and you will likely find it quickly.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 12:57 PM

with reports of some getting as little as 30 days, on-line fmm can't hurt.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The INM office seems to always be in the FIRST building across the border.

You're probably right, and that is what I tried at Mexicali east two years ago. The agents were searching a car when I pulled in, and one of them vigorously waved me off! Ok, I will try the next entrance.

The second entrance was barricaded, and the third was an exit only, and at that point there was no place to park and walk back to the INM office.

Getting in line to return to the US and start over was not reasonable, so it was one more "illegal" border crossing added to my ledger!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 02:07 PM

Hey, you tried!
I have heard of people going in through the exit way, as it was the only way to get to the parking area. The new Mexicali West is a breeze, lots of parking before the building/ gates... and after, we could parallel park, as well, and walk across to the building.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

The fill in area is blank for the # of days, and I write in 180. If the agent wants to fill the info in tell him at the very start 180 days, please. The price is the same 8 days or 180 days!

Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 05:44 PM

The fill in area is blank for the # of days, and I write in 180. If the agent wants to fill the info in tell him at the very start 180 days, please. The price is the same 8 days or 180 days!

there have been reports of agents actually crossing out 180 and writing in less days....this particularly true for folks with numerous crossings!

Questioning by IMN will cause delays in travel and possibly ending with less than 180 days on your new visitor card. If the IMN officer feels you are skirting the law by extending your stay in Mexico through this method, they have the authority to limit your visit. You can not assume you have the right to stay in Mexico for 180 days as the officer may only grant you 30 days.

(this from mexlaw website)

[Edited on 12-12-2019 by Don Pisto]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by By crout  

If I am crossing the border on a weekend or off hours when the banks are closed, how does one pay for the FMM? It seems one doesn't just pay the fee directly to the official de migracion.

On some crossings you may pay directly to INM official. San Ysidro comes to mind. I think this is a federal regulation and "should" apply to all crossings.

Quote: Originally posted by By crout  

a form on-line to obtain the FMM ahead of time via email. I assume you pay for it via credit card. Do I understand correctly that 1) this works well? 2) it is valid for land crossings as well as air? 3) that it cannot be done till 30 days before expected date of entry, and 4) obtaining it directly from the Mex. Gov. will cost just the price of the permit and not the extra fee that private companies add on?

1) Yes, credit card. Yes, works well.
2) On commercial airlines you're getting FMM for free, upon landing, and don't have to apply online. But you can use this online FMM if you enter Mexico by land and then leave Mexico by commercial airline - they won't let you board the plane until they collect your FMM.

3) Yes.
4) Yes, no extra fee.

I used to get FMM online (car or bus/pedestrian crossing), but am not going to do this anymore. 99 times out of 100 they don't ask for FMM on SY car crossing, and last the time on SY El Chap ped crossing the guy with FMM blanks on entry just waived me through after my answer "Canada" and "one month". I felt stupid with pre-paid FMM in my pocket, and to justify $25 expense I asked them to stamp my FMM. Remember, your online form needs to be stamped at the border. Though the last incident could've been explained by anti-Trump sentiments, with both Canada and Mexico for several months threatened to be excluded from the revised NAFTA.

Edit - PS: forgot to mention - print out not just online FMM but also a receipt of payment - VERY IMPORTANT.

[Edited on 12-12-2019 by Alm]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 01:44 PM

there have been reports of agents actually crossing out 180 and writing in less days....this particularly true for folks with numerous crossings!

Questioning by IMN will cause delays in travel and possibly ending with less than 180 days on your new visitor card. If the IMN officer feels you are skirting the law by extending your stay in Mexico through this method, they have the authority to limit your visit. You can not assume you have the right to stay in Mexico for 180 days as the officer may only grant you 30 days.

(this from mexlaw website)

[Edited on 12-12-2019 by Don Pisto]

My info is from personal interaction, the many times I have gotten an FMM, not some website. Once, the officer wrote in '90 days' before I knew to fill that in myself before handing the form back in.
I said, that I wanted 180 days, please change it.
He did! However, he said the altered days might void the FMM... lol! Nobody ever said a thing the rest of the 180 days I had that FMM.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.