BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Ever Total a Car Covered by Baja Bound?
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2020 at 04:01 PM
Ever Total a Car Covered by Baja Bound?

My local car insurance - through HDI Seguros - is expiring next month.

A friend and local business owner totaled their car (collision with boulder falling off the scenic road cliff) that was covered by HDI and have yet to be paid over two months since it happened. He was/is using a reputable, but ageing, agent - that I too use.

So... I am wondering about switching to a more active agent that vigorously supports their clients.

Thinking of Baja Bound.

BB costs about 80-100 USD more than my current policy.

Opinions?

[Edited on 5-14-2020 by RocketJSquirrel]
Ricky
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2020 at 11:22 PM

Being Baja Bound is a California licensed broker, one may have better luck getting a claim paid. I’ve paid them lots of $ over the years and never filed a claim. There was that time a taxi hit my car, cost me $100 US even though it was not my fault. Another time perhaps.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 5-15-2020 at 08:13 AM

Getting involved in an accident in Mexico is not an option. No matter who's the fault, you will lose. Insurance is great until you need it. Someone will jump in here with a story of how their insurance Co. stepped up to the plate but I have hundreds of horror stories to counter. Most of the time, even though you were not "at fault", you were still culpable. I recently had an incident and was not at fault but had put myself in an exposed situation. The result - my highly recommended insurance co., that I have had for years and paid many thousands of dollars to - was out to lunch. Buyer beware. When you are driving in Mexico you are in the wild frontier an unprotected.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-15-2020 at 11:15 PM

The primary reason to have Mexican Insurance is to keep from being locked up in a Mexican jail if you have an accident or with a driver’s license policy if you’re a passenger in a U.S. car that has an accident in Mexico.

Any money you are paid for your damaged or stolen vehicle is just gravy! It’s staying out of jail that’s priceless!
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 05:42 AM

I agree with RFC and Wee, but would still like to know if the 25% more I would pay to have BajaBound cover my car is worth it.

I am surprised no one is reporting their experience
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 08:25 AM

I have a Facebook friend who shared his tragedy when his VW van caught fire and was a total loss, including nearly all his personal possessions and trip money! He was on the road between Comondú and San Javier... smelled something odd and poof!

I have messaged him about this thread should he wish to tell his story. This was recent... and when he made it back to the boutique hotel in San Miguel Comondú, they refused to let him stay there due to Coronavirus panic!

He was insured through Baja Bound and the last I think I heard, he was compensated for the van loss (but not the value of its contents). It took a few weeks.

Paul Ingram 2020.jpg - 44kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 08:35 AM

WOW, I sure hope your friend reports back as I'm sure that is one Hell of a story !

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 09:25 AM

I drove that stretch of road on my way south in late January this year. There were signs of light traffic (probably ranchers) at both ends of the road, but nothing but animal tracks in the dusty center section of the drive!

You could be there a long time before any potential help arrived!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 10:20 AM

I know... but it is a graded road that gets some traffic. I have yet to hear his full story of how he got back to Comondú (~7 miles).

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 10:28 AM

Thanks, K;

I'm not concerned about contents, just the value of the vehicle. Comprehensive doesn't cost all that much more and just like to hedge the potential loss if it ever happened.

So... good to hear he got paid.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
Thanks, K;

I'm not concerned about contents, just the value of the vehicle. Comprehensive doesn't cost all that much more and just like to hedge the potential loss if it ever happened.

So... good to hear he got paid.

In the end, yes... but he made many many emails to the Mexican company.

I don't know for sure, but I do believe that using Baja Bound does give us an upper hand to go to bat for us being that they are in San Diego and on Baja Nomad, too. I do not know if this person (with the VW) asked Baja Bound to help him. He just said he had to email repeatedly to finally hear back from the company in Mexico... but, they did pay, just less than he hoped for.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 10:47 AM

"they did pay, just less than he hoped for."
Would be good to know what advice he could give as to valuation, proof, depreciation, policy limits, or otherwise (?) what were issues that came to bear on situation. And did he make a claim for contents through homeowners insurance?
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I know... but it is a graded road that gets some traffic. I have yet to hear his full story of how he got back to Comondú (~7 miles).

What a bummer....

It would be mostly a downhill walk back to Commondu.....

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

What a bummer....

It would be mostly a downhill walk back to Commondu.....

Seven miles in from the Comondu side I was still seeing ranch traffic. About two thirds of the way across, all human tracks had been erased. I did pass a guy on horse back though!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 11:07 AM

AK,
I wonder if the poor guy got to experience the handmade cots in the church rectory....

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 11:12 AM

When "There is no room at the Inn", sometimes a manger will have to do!

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 12:17 PM

I hit a cow, he lost. No police report, no pictures. Truck still ran and (surprisingly) nothing leaking on the ground so I continued on. I called a nice lady at Baja Bound when I got to La Paz, she had an insurance adjuster at my location in less than an hour. I wasn't asked for my immigration paperwork! Paperwork was filled out, I went to the Ford dealer and gave them the info from the adjuster, phone calls were made, genuine Ford parts were ordered. I came back in a week when the parts were in, truck was fixed in 2 days, looks perfect. Paid my deductible, that was it. Easy peasy. Your experience may vary, this was my only experience with MX insurance in 25 years of MX driving.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 12:34 PM

Good to know. Thank you. Sounds like a situation an insurance company could weasel their way out of. Well done!
Pete

[*] posted on 5-27-2020 at 01:38 PM
Oscar Padilla Insurance

I total'd my brand new 1996 Tacoma with Oscar Padilla insurance. It took some harassing, and a letter from my attorney (my room mate at the time), but they paid me out. Took about a month to get the check.
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2020 at 04:41 PM
Great support from BajaBound Insurance

I was in an accident just south of Ensenada several years ago. Both other drivers fled the scene. My truck was driveable but I remained at the scene until the HDI adjuster arrived and did his thing.
After I returned home I worked with Bajabound to get my truck fixed. HDI first wanted to “total” my truck, minus double the deductible since I had front and rear end damage. That’s when the battles began with HDI. Bajabound was with me all the way making calls to HDI in both Texas and Mexico.
End result - my truck was fixed as I wished, not totaled and I paid only a single deductible.
Without Bajabound’s backing I don’t think I would have gotten good results.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.