Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: finally, I'm moving to Baja
Dianamo
Nomad

Mood: ...still in Baja

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 05:45 PM
finally, I'm moving to Baja

My time to move to Baja is rapidly approaching. I need guidance on moving household items into Baja. I will be bringing two large chairs and a king sized bed, clothing, personal items and other household items. The plan, right now, is to buy a box truck to bring my stuff down. In 15 years, I've never brought anything down that required declaration. How do I prepare to bring my stuff with as little problem as possible? Does anyone have a checklist of things I need to do before heading south? All input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Minds are like parachutes...they only function when open!

\"The price of apathy is to be ruled by evil men.\" - Plato
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 05:54 PM

Maybe this will be helpful:

https://www.mexperience.com/menaje-de-casa-importing-persona...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 05:55 PM

Do you have temporary or permanent resident status in Mexico?

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 05:57 PM

It's way easier to move a bit at a time, or get rid of stuff and buy new. Importing your items in a huge ruck is expensive and is quite a bit of work. Buying a box truck is very expensive, you could buy all new furniture with all that money. Also, life in Baja is different than where you come from and the the furniture may not be appropriate. Beds are different sizes, they don't sell USA size sheets there, etc. Consider lightening your load, sell or give away your stuff and move on to new things.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 06:26 PM

https://www.lineaships.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/moving...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 06:34 PM

I remember that we hired a gentleman from Ensenada to get some of our furniture etc. across the border officially. It went smoothly.

WE brought down so much stuff in our pickup too, do not remember any issues except with 3 new boogie boards I bought for the surf club competition very many years ago. I paid some small amount and was happy to pay.

Nowadays I heard from friends who recently moved from California to Punta Abreojos that if you are male, you cannnot bring down women's clothes - even if it is your spouse's and vice versa. Obviously, if you are together, this is a moot point.

Best of luck with all the moving!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 07:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I remember that we hired a gentleman from Ensenada to get some of our furniture etc. across the border officially. It went smoothly.

WE brought down so much stuff in our pickup too, do not remember any issues except with 3 new boogie boards I bought for the surf club competition very many years ago. I paid some small amount and was happy to pay.

Nowadays I heard from friends who recently moved from California to Punta Abreojos that if you are male, you cannnot bring down women's clothes - even if it is your spouse's and vice versa. Obviously, if you are together, this is a moot point.

Best of luck with all the moving!

They have never checked close enough to see what clothing I was bringing down. The last trip, last month at Tecate, they weren't even interested in my declarations. They were interested in the boat, trailer and very interested as to weather we were trying to bring beer into MX. He left me standing at the rear of the truck with receipts in hand and 8 boxes of lights and ceiling fans staring at him.
I guess you just never know who you're gonna get!:rolleyes:
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2020 at 08:17 PM

The smaller Mexican appliances for the kitchen are real ingenious. look hard @ the options.

Es Todo Bueno
tbnoble
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2020 at 07:34 AM

When we moved down several years ago, I had an enclosed 8x6 and my truck with a canopy and moved the household items down in several trips. I had lists of what I was carrying in English and Spanish but I still knew I was skating the actual law. Tecate had an abogado there at the time and he knew I knew but we came to an agreement and I paid a couple of hundred each trip.
But as had been mentioned I should have left most of it there and not bothered, everything I needed was pretty much here so in some respects it was wasted time and energy.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 06:44 PM

One time moving household goods is free of charge. Just fill out a declaration that you are moving your own stuff.
I moved my entire household carrying on a huge truck (16 tons truck) towing a flat bed with no problems at all.
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 07:15 PM

When they say "one time", is it one physical crossing or if you needed a couple trips would it be considered a one time move but your stuff came across over several days or a week or two?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2020 at 07:44 PM

Dianamo, I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS!

I was once stopped in TJ when driving south alone and of course I had lots of clothes for my scholarship students. The female customs agent balked at my men's clothes and I told her they belonged to my husband. She was not happy but did let me go thru. She saw my shock since I had no idea that this would ever be an issue.

Another time we were both in the car and we had a case of wine at my feet on the passenger side. The agent asked "why so much wine?" I thought about it for a couple seconds and answered "because I like it." Ok, she said Hahahahaa

If you are bringing obviously used items, it is most likely not going to be a problem and when they do give you a tax, it is usually quite reasonable.

Once they turned us around and made us go from TJ to Otay.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2020 at 01:19 PM

I agree with gnukid's response. If at all possible, get rid of your old stuff and buy new down here. There is so much available now that was not just 15 years ago. And one thing for sure at the border crossing is that nothing is for sure. Every passage is a new adventure. You are at the whim of the official of the day. You could go to all the trouble of doing everything according to Hoyle with lists and declarations and such or just drive through with not a care in the world and your outcome might be the same. I used both methods back in the day and hated every minute of it until I was safely past the border. Who needs that stress?

It was 4:30 in the morning 16 years ago as Paula and I pulled up to the border with our Callen camper shell loaded to the ceiling with household goods new and used. This was the moment I had been dreading. The sleepy official trundled up to my window and looked inside to see two anxious travelers in the loaded cab. With perceived reluctance he said that he would have to look in the back. Darn!

I got out and walked to the rear where I unlocked and opened the double doors. He visibly sagged as he looked in to see all that cargo, knowing he was in for a bunch of work at the end of his shift. But just at that moment I had an idea. Pointing to the porta pottie and ice chest that I always kept available near the door I asked him, "Have you ever gone camping with a woman? So much stuff you have to bring!" He looked at me with the biggest smile, pointed down the road and said "Andale!"

I immediately confessed to Paula that I had thrown her under the buss to get free of the border, but somehow she didn't mind. All part of the adventure.

Have a wonderful and successful move. You are going to love it down here!

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-6-2020 at 02:40 PM

Great story, Tom!
Cheers to you and Paula...

PS, is it possible to see the movie you guys made on any streaming platform?
Was it called 'The Healer's Son'? 19 years ago...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2020 at 03:39 PM

When we bought our place in Mulege, we brought down a lot of Canadian junk for our shack. Only new stuff was the mattress. Never had any questions at the Mexicali East crossing.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 07:59 AM

What a great photo of el jefe and la jefa!

I remembered today that a Mexican here said that his brother actually had his car confiscated when they didn't like what he was bringing back - it was just stuff he had bought for his own house, not over the limit money-wise but none of that made a difference.

The chances of being hassled, thank goodness, are slim.

Come visit La Bocana

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 10:34 AM

Thanks, that was at my Viva Baja #2 event in San Clemente, in 2001: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabaja2/index.html

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 01:30 PM

Bullwinkle and I would enjoy attending the next event.
CasaMaximus
Banned

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 01:42 PM

What El Jefe said. Welcome!

[Edited on 9-17-2020 by CasaMaximus]
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-20-2020 at 05:48 PM

That is the best one I have seen, Dough!
Thanks for the information!

There are so many people who wish to move here, now I have a great advice resource!

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
https://www.lineaships.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/moving...

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.