BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Meat and fish prices and beef quality in Baja.
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 05:12 AM
Meat and fish prices and beef quality in Baja.

Just wondering how much does beef cost in Baja, where is the best beef sold at?
What about prices of tuna, dorado, corvina fillets for ceviche. Trying to give me an idea of what a monthly food costs when living down the peninsula. Not planning on eating at restaurants all the time. I like to BBQ and eat fresh fish ceviche. Definitely eating fish tacos but not all the time.
Thanks.
cortezpirasea

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 05:23 AM

Ummm... You can fish for the fish?! Make some friends and they will just give you fish.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 07:04 AM

If you have to ask, then you can’t afford it!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

brucedog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 07:39 AM

It all depends on where you are in Baja and where you shop. Beef is cheaper that in US but quality is all over the place(depending on where you shop). I never buy fish because I have friends who fish. If I had to put a dollar figure on your question I would say fish and beef are cheaper by 25-50% compared to USA prices but I could be way off...
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 07:43 AM

Thanks brucedog. Trying to get a general idea.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 07:46 AM

For me, a lot of it depends on the exchange rate. We spent a lot of time at our place in Bahia Asuncion this past year. We'd make the drive into Vizcaino to stock up at Leys. We bought tequila, kahlua, carne asada, milk, lots of fruit and vegetables...basically a full cart of food. We'd always try and guess how much we spent. My mind works in dollars not pesos so when I would go online and see how much we spent, I'd laugh. I think our record was something like $80. Now if I were paid in pesos, I could probably give you a better answer. For the most part, prices are much lower than in the US from my experience.

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 09:23 AM

I hate to admit it but the best place to buy meat is at Costco or a major box store. I have never found the quality of meat that good in Baja. Once in a while I might get lucky but the consistency is just not there. I have heard about "Sonoran beef" but maybe the good stuff doesn't get to the peninsula.

Now chicken is a completely different story. I find the chicken much tastier than NOB. I buy legs and thighs, BBQ them up and eat it for lunch for days. Great out on the boat as well. They are much larger and more plump the NOB and seem to take a lot longer to cook. Having it pretty cheap is a bonus.

If you must buy fish, just follow the local commercial fisherman when they come in and see where they bring it and that is where you want to buy it. It's usually so cheap I don't even think about it. Just make some friends at the local marina and bring along some extra beers for some good old bartering.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 10:01 AM

100 pesos for a kilo of cochito is average

$5 for 2.2 lbs of triggerfish aka the best fish for ceviche

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 10:45 AM

Thanks for your replies.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 11:08 AM

Good topic, I fish but never have in Baja (trout and bass) or from the beach, Might have to buy some until I get the right gear and figure out what I'm doing!
Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 11:16 AM

for meat you can't go wrong with Walmart:P

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 11:25 AM

Some prices have gone down and up 4x recently, occasionally items are unavailable. I buy/sell a kilo of fish 30-200 pesos depending on type, 22-32 pesos kilo whole chicken, 30 pesos for dozen eggs, 50-60pesos kilo for chicken thighs or breasts, 50-300 kilo carne asada depending on cut.

Shop at Ley, Chedraui, Soriana, Aramburo, Walmart, Ranchos, and Tiendas

See Prices here listed under Super https://www.chedraui.com.mx/

It's important to have refrigeration to be able to buy food on sale and store to reduce costs, I use both Dometic and Whynter 12v systems with solar and have fresh fish filets, meats etc in sub zero coolers in my vehicle for transport. Pays for itself in one year and you always have ice, fresh fish and meats and cold beer, tequila, champagne, ice cream, in transit.

[Edited on 9-19-2020 by gnukid]
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 04:48 PM

Great information, thanks everyone for your responses.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 06:17 PM

We use to have a house in Sonora. The beef is outstanding there. Best in the very small groceries.

I heard some places in Baja sell Sonora beef.

https://themazatlanpost.com/2019/02/26/what-state-has-the-be...

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.