Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Permanent resident status question
tmtuttle
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 09:22 AM
Permanent resident status question

Hello,

My wife and I bought property in Baja (Todo Santos area) and have a time frame of five to nine years before we move there mostly year round. I want to start my permanent resident status now. I've been communicating with the Mexican consulate here in my home city and state of Boise, ID and have a good idea of what I have to do north of the border. My question is, how difficult is it to exchange the visa I get from the consulate here in Boise to a permanent resident card? My Spanish is adequate for day to day living but once it gets deeper than that, I get left behind. I'm wondering if there are 'fixers' who offer their services to help the process along.

Any info is much appreciated.

Tim

Here's the info I received form my consulate contact here in Boise:

The visa is issued on the same day of the consular interview. However, it is possible that the process could extend from 2 to 10 business days.

The visa is valid for 6 months, is only for one entry to Mexico, you need to go to Mexico before the visa expires.

Once you enter to Mexico you will have up to 30 days to go to the nearest Migration Office of your address and exchange the Visa for the Permanent Resident Card, once you start the procedure for the Resident Card it takes around 2-4 weeks to receive the card.
tmtuttle
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 09:24 AM

One thing I forgot to ask, for those of you in the Todos Santos area, where is the nearest migration office? I'm assuming La Paz.
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 09:46 AM

The whole process was relatively painless. Go to the consulate for interview and get the visa. Cross the border in the time frame allowed and exchange the visa for the free 30 day FMM or whatever it is they give you. When you get to you hometown, go to the nearest office and do some paperwork. In a week or two go back for fingerprints and photos then wait a couple weeks for the card. There is a certain amount of time you "can't" leave the country but for me that was only maybe a week until some paperwork got to Mexicali.

I wouldn't stress about getting it done this far in advance because it really doesn't take that long to do. Actual time dealing with everything was maybe 3 to 4 hours over 5 weeks and Xmas and New Years was in the middle of that. They were closed for I believe 2 weeks for the holidays too.

[Edited on 1-28-2021 by Bajazly]

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 10:26 AM

we used the consulate in boise as well. a relaxed and enjoyable interview.
we used a service in CSL called Mexico paperwork...or maybe paperwork mexico.
the process was painless and expedient. it was interesting to see a room full of sweating gringos wait forever to speak with indifferent immigration personnel. we were in and out in under 10 minutes.
if citizenship is the ultimate goal, get this done in order to get the 5 year clock ticking.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 10:52 AM

Painless process compared to what it used to be. The green books, the stamps for exit and entry, FM2, FM3, extended time frame, etc....what a pain in the.

Overnight it became easy.

Note: If you address the Immigration official in Spanish, they will often respond in English. Not so if you try English first, a universal respect thing here SOB.
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 11:03 AM

Hi, I've got kids in Boise so I feel some connection. We live most of the year in La Paz and dealt with Bajalegals.com to get our RP. They charge a little more than doing it yourself but we found it worth it as they do all the interaction with the immigration office in La Paz. They complete the paperwork for your submission, keep in touch with the immigration office in La Paz (they know all the agents) , make sure your submissions are correct, brief you on when you need to return to the office and accompany you each time. If you send me a PM I'll give you the email address for Sara who handled my application. Norm

Life is too short to drink bad wine
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 11:05 AM

smart move to get it done now who knows what the future might hold, if you decide to use a "fixer" folks are very happy with this lady.....
https://www.facebook.com/bajaexpatservices/
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 11:17 AM

I'm sure bajaexpatservice are fine folks but it looks like they are mainly in the northern baja areas( Ensenda, Rosarito) and the request is for the La Paz area. You can look up baja legal services on facebook and you will see a large number of people that have been helped in the La Paz area with their RP.

Life is too short to drink bad wine
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 11:21 AM

Just make sure that when you enter Mexico you don't get a tourist FMM! Make sure to show them the visa in your passport!
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by joel  
Just make sure that when you enter Mexico you don't get a tourist FMM! Make sure to show them the visa in your passport!

Not quite correct. You do get the FMM flying in or at the border. You DO not check tourism in Tipo de Viaje. You check other. You can then use the Citizen line at the airport coming in. If you use the tourist line they get snappy and send you over to the citizen's line anyway.

FMM shown in this link -
https://movetomexicoguide.com/mexico-immigration-programs-pr...

Also, when flying out of Mexico you get the same FMM from Mexican Immigration at the Airport and again check "other". You give the bottom portion to the airlines and keep the upper portion for your return. Driving across no one at Immigration seems to care in either direction. I've tried to give my upper copy to immigration southbound at both Mexicali crossings and they look at me like I have 3 heads and just point down the road.

Of course, this is Mexico and my experiences having RT for 4 years and RP for 3 might have nothing to do with your experience.

Andy
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 01:25 PM

From our experience, use "a fixer" like the Paperworks. It is so worth the little bit extra you pay. Make sure you allow some time in country for the process to happen. Five weeks might be about right. Start the process in Mex as soon as you arrive. If you have to fly north before the process is finished you may have to get a "get out of town" letter from the immigration folks. Just more complication that you don't need.

And don't lose your card! Paula lost hers after having it a few years and had to go through the whole process all over again. Applying for a duplicate card is not a thing.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 01:26 PM
For the non bi lingual speakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKIE3IUkkp8

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

tmtuttle
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 03:31 PM

Thanks for all the great information. I think I'll use a fixer (gestor).

Question for the couples in the crowd, do you recommend that my wife and I apply as a couple or individually?
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 05:39 PM

both...the PR is issued to an individual. you get one ...the MRS gets one
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 07:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joel  

It can just confuse people when an FMM is used synonomously with "tourist visa".

An FMM is just a migratory form which everyone aside from citizens fill out when entering the country, regardless of whether you are entering as a tourist, a temporary resident, a permanent resident, or in process, as the OP will be.

It's how you fill out the form that's crucial, and that the immigration official is clear as to what your status is.
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

An FMM is just a migratory form which everyone aside from citizens fill out when entering the country, regardless of whether you are entering as a tourist, a temporary resident, a permanent resident, or in process, as the OP will be.

So a PR needs to have an FMM as well?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2021 at 11:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Yes, a PR has to have an FMM to LEAVE Mexico.

The top half is turned in when you leave and the bottom half is collected when you return to Mexico. (Or maybe it is the other way - it has been a couple of years since I flew in and out of Mex)

This is not enforced at land crossings but is definitely enforced when leaving by air.

SJD has an IMM office for just this purpose. Go to the IMM booth and get your FMM before going to the gate. Top half is collected by the gate attendant as you board the plane and the bottom half is collected by Aduana/IMM when you return.

Not sure what happens if you drive out without getting an FMM (which is standard practice) and then return by air without a prreviously stamped FMM ....??

[Edited on 1-29-2021 by RnR]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2021 at 12:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

It's not a matter of "having" one. It's something you fill out when you fly in and out of the country.

On the mainland most PRs also fill them out and hand them in when driving.If you ever want to become a citizen, it's crucial to do this, as you have to document your time inside the country over the past years.

Tourists are handed back the bottom half of the card when they enter Mexico, it says how long they are allowed to be in the country and they hand it back in to immigration when they leave.

Residents do the opposite. They fill out the form when they are leaving Mexico, and hand the other half back in when they return. But Mexican INM doesn't seem to care if you lose the other half while out of the country- you just fill out a new one. If a tourist loses the half they are supposed to retain while in Mexico, they get charged the tourist tax again before leaving.

So as a resident, no part of that form is something you'd ever be asked to produce while you're in Mexico, and you wouldn't even have it to produce, as the second half is taken from you when you return. It's your residency card that's your status document here.

[Edited on 1-29-2021 by surabi]
ch47pilot
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2021 at 01:37 PM
Permanent Residence Status

I do not believe that you can get a Residente Permanente without having a Residente Temporal for two years. I have had my RP for several years and my wife just got her Residente Temporal based on being permanent residents and my having the RP.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2021 at 02:53 PM

we never had a temp ,only PR
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.