BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ESL classroom resources and teaching aids?
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2021 at 12:43 PM
ESL classroom resources and teaching aids?

I know there are some and perhaps many who read these forums and do or have conducted English learning classes for local Baja people. Blanca and Shari come to mind but I am sure others have or do so also.

Primarily classes would be for children of elementary school age.

Of course have been searching online concerning this but also know that first hand experiences are very helpful.

If anyone has any thoughts, ideas, insights, experiences on this, sharing your insights would be most appreciated. I have been asked about this and why not give it a shot. Hoping to start this fall when schools are back in session and not en linea.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2021 at 12:52 PM

They sell ESL school workbooks for kids 5-10 in stores that have assignments pre-made, to complete English words and drawings and exercises at Dax (la Paz) or other stores, you could print your own, the ones in stores are inexpensive, like 20-30 pesos
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2021 at 02:02 PM

Great ideas Lencho,

I found a great method to language is play conversations like "grocery store", or "clothes store" with items to point to and ask about, could be chicles, gum, etc, small items that don't expire, while learning to interact and learn to ask questions and use descriptions.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2021 at 07:20 PM

My focus had always been adults until I started teaching here in La Bocana. I sure wish I had been better trained in teaching kiddoes.
So. what I do is teach one verb per class, like EAT. So easy since I - you - we - they eat.
Then we add food items. I eat pizza. You eat tacos. We eat tamales.

Next day, everyone does Do you eat pizza? Do we eat tostadas?

Next day, we use the negative. Then on to DRINK or another verb.

Everything is 100% verbal with writing the verb maybe taking 5 minutes at the beginning of class with each kid creating a flashcard that they will use to memorize EAT ATE EATEN Some of you used to bring me index cards.

Kids do learn so fast! They just love to learn English.

Tons of material available online nowadays. Some are so creative! My goal was to get them talking. It is how I was trained way back in the day.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2021 at 07:30 AM

This site has a lot of free resources - https://www.englishbanana.com/

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2021 at 01:56 PM

I agree Lencho, I am a biggie when it comes to pronunciation. That is why I have students say a word before they ever see it written and I also create a meta language in their original language so in my rendition of

eat ate eaten they will write in parentheses its eits i'n
and they will all pronounce it perfectly.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2021 at 02:01 PM

Depending on the size of your group...

the card game "Uno" is fun - for colors and numbers and some other vocab

Simon says - for parts of the body

vocabulary word card "loteria"

I also worked mainly with adults back in the day, but have helped a small group here (meaning 3 or 4 kids) with their English. They all had fun with the above activities.

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2021 at 02:04 PM
Thank you

every poster for sharing. I appreciate your experience and knowledge.
Your willingness to share those experiences is very helpful.

How many minutes of "formal" class time would you all consider too little, too much or just right?
How many times per week to have classes? iI once is not enough what is best?

Thanks again

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2021 at 02:33 PM

Mother tongue issues can be funny, my father's Peruvian nuances when speaking Spanish always made the Baja MX. listener ask for clarification with a smile. Not sure what was so funny, but it happened a lot.
My Spanglish gets a different response.

Es Todo Bueno
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2021 at 05:39 PM

In my opinion, three times a week is ideal. One day to learn, the second to sink in, the third to learn something new.

That being said, I have had a two time a week class and the students learned quite well.

When I speak Spanish to someone who does not know me, I get the question "What part of Mexico are you from?" Makes me giggle every time!

Come visit La Bocana

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2021 at 09:13 AM
Student aids?

What if any items would be useful to the students as part of the classroom and take it home study aids?

Online links provided are a big help, thank you. I have time to figure this out but have already been asked about older children.

Are there age group recommendations to consider in separating say 16 year olds from 8 year olds?

In my limited experiences the older kids are more reluctant to practice speaking and it is my guess that overcoming this reluctance, their perceived possible embarrassment, will be an important step to success.

Thanks to all, again.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.