Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Driving from El Cardonal to Bahia de los Muertos
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-5-2022 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by bajafreaks  

This is exactly right, did the drive in May this year. 4 people in a 4 seat SXS I didn't see any access to the beach once we started climbing out of El cardonal a lot of great views but not down at beach level all cliff side. The road is really rocky best with 4x4.

one beach access about midway
23.926066°, -109.836383°
good camping - beach is super rocky

another beach access north from there is blocked off as private property

there are quite a few other beaches accessible there. you just have to hike/scramble....
sometimes ya gotta get out of the car and use your feet!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-5-2022 at 11:41 AM

one beach access about midway
23.926066°, -109.836383°
good camping - beach is super rocky

another beach access north from there is blocked off as private property

Harald, I zoomed in on that co-ordinate using ariel view. I had no problem accessing the beach in my Isuzu Trooper in Nov 2020. The red roofed building looked like it was abandoned more than a couple of years ago.

I was going to camp there, but I was headed south and knew that my dog would be much happier on the beaches further down the road. Running and digging are two of her favorite things, right behind sniffing around everywhere!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 7-5-2022 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marty Mateo  

Great coast road all the way from Los Barriles. The only potentially rough area is where the road leaves the coast and heads towards Los Planes. Drove the road down through El Triunfo to Los Barriles on Saturday, very lush and green till just south of San Bartolo, always enjoy that drive through the mountains. A few arroyo areas north of El Cardinal that should make beach access possible for camping.

none of my maps know El Cardinal

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-5-2022 at 12:08 PM

Great coast road all the way from Los Barriles. The only potentially rough area is where the road leaves the coast and heads towards Los Planes. Drove the road down through El Triunfo to Los Barriles on Saturday, very lush and green till just south of San Bartolo, always enjoy that drive through the mountains. A few arroyo areas north of El Cardinal that should make beach access possible for camping.

Why the correct spelling of place names in Baja is important...
It is the small town where the paved and dirt roads meet, north of Los Barriles... My maps just missed including it, north of Punta Pescadero, on the coast.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Marty Mateo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2022 at 12:16 PM

👍 thanks for pointing out the miss spelling
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2022 at 08:14 PM

I live at both ends of the road on either side. Here is some info that is helpful without ruining the adventure, since there is so much to see, and many beach accesses and beach fishing spots.

As you are coming over the hill from La Paz, there is the dirt turn off to San Blas sort of around the peak. San Blas is a church and there are many ranchos, some of which sell plants, chachkas or treats. The road is generally excellent for a dirt road. Or you can take it on the return.

You can incorporate El Triunfo and San Bartolo into your trip at some point both are excellent towns but sometimes everything is closed.

At the entrance to La Ventana is a tow truck "Grua" service with large trucks, a short way off the 286 toward La Ventana is a tire shop. This is the major tow service if you need a tow back to La Paz due to catastrophic failure. Ask here or ask around for the number.

As you enter Los Planes there is a Chevron gas station which is the only option in the region, its short on liters, but gas is good.

There is one reliable mechanic shop, its white and called Pinos, they can fix a flat or valve, or do most service, friends have had motors rebuilt there but they need to go get parts so anything big is a multi day project. They are generally responsive to emergency issues on the spot.

I don't know of a good grocery store in Los Planes, but there are many small stores and fruit stands. If you continue past "La Curva" entrance to Boca del Alamo and instead continue to Agua Amrga, there are two good stores, one on the road called "Greens" with ice and drinks and meat and cheese, and beer and alcohol. Or inside the pueblo Agua Amarga is Luceros with staples.

Its close to continue toward Ensenada Muertos or to head toward "Turquesa" or Punta Arena. Turquesa has excellent quiet camping. Punta Arena is higher traffic. Muertos has access to Camp, sim and dive, and of course you can charter a fishing trip PM for contact. Restaurant 1535 is reliable.

Heading back to "La Curva" is the marked entrance to Boca Del Alamo up over the mountain dirt road there is usually no cars, except on the weekends there can be. The road going up is scary and has boulders going up but not impossible. There are spots with sharp boulders on steep sections that tear up tires, especially older or or street tires. Its only 15-20km to complete the pass as you arrive at Primeras Piedras, finally there is a run of 100 meters of very sharp rocks, but if you have 4x4 you can turn before to the beach and skip the rocks. There are three rustic cabanas there that are rentable with a solar light and simple cot and bathroom with some water. PM if you want to contact the person in charge who is family or ask at El Cangrejo store in Boca del Alamo.

The beach is a great place tp camp except for coyotes or foxes not sure which but there are many, snakes, cows, burros, goats, etc.

The large beach is created by a wide arroyo, see google maps, that cascade down from the highest mountain peak, and there can be a river in times of rain. In the mountains there are Yaqui cave paintings and you can get a guided hike if desired, ask at Crangrejo.

Its worth the short trip up the arroyo to the mountain range and explore a bit.

As you pass the arroyo the road rises and you enter the pueblo pf Boca del Alamo, at the second entrance is. store called el Cangrejo, where Regina sells fish, meat, cheese, veggies, eggs and drinks and you can ask there for anything you might want of you are camping, by request, or in relation to renting the rustic cabanas or guided hike, there is an emergency sat phone, and mechanic Remigio lives a few doors down for simple repairs.

You can camp right there in boca de Alamo on the protected beach walking distance to the stores or back on the long white sand beach or up the arroyo towards the mountain to get away from the wind.

In Cardonal there are two stores as you enter M.S. yellow and blue has beer, ice and drinks and across the street is a white and blue store that has fresh meats, like chicken, duck, turkey, goat, steak, bread and cheese and basics. There are a few taco stand restaurants in Cardonal.

As you hit the corner of the paved road that goes over the mountain, or continues straight to Punta Pescadero there is Restaurant Cielito Lindo which is excellent and reliable and has wifi and a pool. You can also rent rooms, they might be called Cabanas.

As you continue on the dirt road through Cardonal there are more beach access and protected spots for camping and diving, Sonadero is a nice little resort.

As you pass Punta Pescadero hotel you reach the beach proper and you can pull onto the beach and camp. With 4x4 you can pull down the way toward little protected spots. Punta Pescadero is excellent but more pricey.

Continue to Los Barriles, rinse, repeat.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-5-2022 at 08:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
I live at both ends of the road on either side.

Quite an accomplishment.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2022 at 08:54 PM

FYI, today they were catching Dorado and Cabilla and Snapper. There are some Turtles arriving to lay nests and periodically there are Orca and Dolphins jumping.

Here's a shot of the creek running above the big arroyo above Boca del Alamo after rain.

DSC_4674.jpeg - 252kB

Boca del Alamo

IMG_1812.jpeg - 142kB

Vista a Muertos

IMG_1808.jpeg - 139kB

Turquesa

IMG_2636 (1).jpeg - 180kB
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2022 at 08:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
I live at both ends of the road on either side.

Quite an accomplishment.

It's all about tire pressure... until you fall off the cliff.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-6-2022 at 08:45 AM

GREAT report gnukid !!!
Glad you also confirmed the San Blas road is still dirt.

The map from INEGI that Benchmark was using for the new Atlas showed it as a paved state highway! That was one of my edits, as I was pretty sure it was not paved... as I had seen it in 2017 on both ends. I figured Harald or another Nomad would have reported such a change.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2022 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
GREAT report gnukid !!!
Glad you also confirmed the San Blas road is still dirt.

The map from INEGI that Benchmark was using for the new Atlas showed it as a paved state highway! That was one of my edits, as I was pretty sure it was not paved... as I had seen it in 2017 on both ends. I figured Harald or another Nomad would have reported such a change.

I drove it a few days ago
steep climbs
radical turns
could not be paved the way it is

MEX1 to Los Divisaderos maybe
but there are no prep signs

Harald Pietschmann
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-6-2022 at 09:43 AM

Harald, I am glad you agree that it is a good road. Flat, straight and paved is sooo boring!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2022 at 09:52 AM

there is a second mining road crossing Sierra El Carrizalito
hiked it a while ago
cool old mining road
has been used by trucks some time ago
solid dozer work
not suitable for 4x4 any longer (washouts and rockslides)
perfect for mountain bike or dirt bike
no gates

dozens of mines and about 100 mining trails in the area

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 10.38.02 AM copy.jpg - 233kB

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2022 at 10:11 AM

my favorite is always the view of the shrine in the narrow arroyo part of the drive

capilla Guadalupe copy.jpg - 293kB

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2022 at 10:14 AM

the casita at the transition of rocky beach to sandy beach (Casa Chunique) is available on airbnb:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3485966?adults=1&children=0...

Harald Pietschmann
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2022 at 11:11 AM

Here is a hint... If you think this is inappropriate I'll delete. We've scheduled a Shaman to lead a psychedelic toad licking session for Goat here to reconnect and overcome inner anxiety, anger and reconnect the brain.

IMG_7312.jpeg - 280kB

[Edited on 7-6-2022 by gnukid]
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2022 at 10:00 AM

This is a great + very informative thread. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2022 at 07:03 AM

Late 80's -early 90's on a trip south, spent a few days at Punta Arena camping and fishing near the lighthouse, and continued south on that road. Had a Chevy 4x4 with a cabover camper. Rough road but do-able. As I remember, there were a few spots with a pretty high pucker factor. Boy--- we had fun.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 7-11-2022 at 11:58 AM

I drove this a few years ago, north to south, in a 4x4 F150. A couple observations. The road was steep, very narrow, mostly softball sized rocks, and no where to turn around. Once committed, there was no turning back. There were a number of places where I was rubbing on the high side and part of a tire hanging over on the low side. Exciting times! Never saw another vehicle the entire route except a four wheeler a hundred feet down the bank jammed against a tree, looked like it had been there a couple years. Beautiful views at times but I pondered what a jam I would be in if I reached an impassable spot.

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
Sandlefoot
Nomad

Mood: Home

[*] posted on 7-11-2022 at 06:08 PM

23°50'47.07"N
109°45'3.02"W

" Don't find fault, find a remedy; anyone can complain." Henry Ford

If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up to much space!

Just because it may not be a good idea does not mean it will not be fun!!!

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.