Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: South Dakota Plates for Cal car in Cabo
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2023 at 09:08 AM

Lee,
You are like many folks living in Baja. And you are an excellent candidate for SD plates and drivers License. If you do then you will have a lot of company.
== ==
You said:
Some here have heavy judgment about getting SD plates. They think it's a way to beat the system and save money. That might be true sometimes but I don't think about those people. Whatever the reasons, SD helped with the red tape of being an out of state resident dealing with a vehicle that's in Baja (most of the time).

Colorado gave me a waiver for emissions for my Class C one time.

Second time I asked for one, they refused and said they wouldn't allow me to renew my plates without an emissions test and when I said the RV was in Baja, they said I needed to drive it back for the test.

They also said if my RV was in Baja more than Colorado, I needed to register the vehicle there.

All because of an emissions test.

Clay County in SD is the way to go. Rhonda (if she's still there) was very helpful and always asked for her.
stillnbaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2023 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Lee,
You are like many folks living in Baja. And you are an excellent candidate for SD plates and drivers License. If you do then you will have a lot of company.
== ==
You said:
Some here have heavy judgment about getting SD plates. They think it's a way to beat the system and save money. That might be true sometimes but I don't think about those people. Whatever the reasons, SD helped with the red tape of being an out of state resident dealing with a vehicle that's in Baja (most of the time).

Second time I asked for one, they refused and said they wouldn't allow me to renew my plates without an emissions test and when I said the RV was in Baja, they said I needed to drive it back for the test.

They also said if my RV was in Baja more than Colorado, I needed to register the vehicle there.

Clay County in SD is the way to go. Rhonda (if she's still there) was very helpful and always asked for her.

well nothing can be easy, now instead of talking to the nice lady you get a recording directing you to a long online form to fill out...I mean loong. im just trying to transfer plates to a new car and it a struggle (for me anyway):no:
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2023 at 12:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stillnbaja  

well nothing can be easy, now instead of talking to the nice lady you get a recording directing you to a long online form to fill out...I mean loong. im just trying to transfer plates to a new car and it a struggle (for me anyway):no:

Can you post a link to the form?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-25-2023 at 12:38 PM

Originally posted by pauldavidmena

https://www.rvtravel.com/south-dakota-proposes-law-to-end-fu...

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-25-2023 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stillnbaja  
Lee,
== ==
You said:

https://americasmailbox.com/contact

These people will make your life easy I'm telling you.

[Edited on 8-25-2023 by Bajazly]

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-25-2023 at 02:02 PM
Options in Anchorage

Not only are there privately owned mail facilities, there are privately owned DMVs (UMV is the business name). They can do all of the functions of the state DMVs, with the exception of driving tests, and probably vehicle inspections if one is needed.

They charge a small fee over the state fees, but it is well worth it for speedy, no appointment service!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
stillnbaja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2023 at 02:26 PM

Lee,
== ==
You said:

I am getting some assistance from Rhonda, in email form....the spoken word is dead even in SD!:D
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-25-2023 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Not only are there privately owned mail facilities, there are privately owned DMVs (UMV is the business name). They can do all of the functions of the state DMVs, with the exception of driving tests, and probably vehicle inspections if one is needed.

They charge a small fee over the state fees, but it is well worth it for speedy, no appointment service!

If I register my car in AK, can I get on the dole (perm fund)?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2023 at 03:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

If I register my car in AK, can I get on the dole (perm fund)?

You can apply after twelve months of residency, but there are restrictions on how much time you can spend out of state.

I quit applying for it about 2007 when I started splitting my time between Anchorage and Nevada county, where most of my Baja trips launched from.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-25-2023 at 03:24 PM

I was just there this last month. There is a difference between the DMV and the vehicle registration in SD. The DMV only issues driver's licenses. The County treasurer's offices handle the vehicle registrations.

One CAN NOT obtain a driver's license without being a resident of the state. The exception being that one stays for the night at a hotel, and the hotels issues a TEMPORARY residence letter that the person then takes to the DMV. At that time, the DMV will issue the DL. However, the DMV requires 2 proofs of residence. The second proof of residence will be your mail box number at the designated mail facility (like americas-mailbox.com).

When I went to the UMV, they still required the two proofs of residency.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

digcolnagos

[*] posted on 9-4-2023 at 07:05 PM

I got SD plates a couple years ago in preparation for moving to Baja. Stuff got in the way. Always got a live person on phone at Clay County, did it in July. When I move, figure I'll keep U.S. driver's license and SD registration as long as I have temporary residency. Thought that was cool so long as vehicle stays in Baja. Not sure on insurance.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 9-4-2023 at 07:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by digcolnagos  
I got SD plates a couple years ago in preparation for moving to Baja. Stuff got in the way. Always got a live person on phone at Clay County, did it in July. When I move, figure I'll keep U.S. driver's license and SD registration as long as I have temporary residency. Thought that was cool so long as vehicle stays in Baja. Not sure on insurance.

mexico insurance or short term u.s. insurance?

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2023 at 07:36 PM

You have to have Mexican auto insurance on a vehicle that's in Mexico.
digcolnagos

[*] posted on 9-4-2023 at 07:57 PM

Expect to need three years--boils down to whether it's possible to insure a foreign-plated vehicle for more than a year with TR.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2023 at 08:44 PM

Of course you can. I don't think you can purchase 3 years worth of insurance at one time, but you can insure it for years consecutively as long as you have temporary residency.
I was a temporary resident for 9 years, back when it was known as an FM3, and just renewed my Lewis and Lewis Mexican insurance yearly.

[Edited on 9-5-2023 by surabi]

[Edited on 9-5-2023 by surabi]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 08:45 AM

I've had a Montana LLC, and an attorney to handle it, for 30 years. Started registering all my vehicles, registered in SD, through the LLC 20 years ago. Works for me. :lol:

Now if California and Colorado started following South Dakota's rule, they'd get my money. For now, it's their loss.:spingrin:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 08:59 AM
Another CA rip-off....

The owner of the Trooper I just bought put it officially in "non-op" status when the 2023 tags were due. Although the vehicle had not been on a public road during the storage period, I had to pay a full year's registration fee plus other transfer costs and only get seven months before I have to renew the tags!

When the title is transferred, why doesn't the new registration start in the month the new owner buys the vehicle?

digcolnagos

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
I've had a Montana LLC, and an attorney to handle it, for 30 years. Started registering all my vehicles, registered in SD, through the LLC 20 years ago. Works for me. :lol:

Now if California and Colorado started following South Dakota's rule, they'd get my money. For now, it's their loss.:spingrin:

insurance on a TR card was main concern. If I get PR after three years, figure I'll get a Mexican driver's license and vehicle bought in Mexico. Unless my Tacoma's still running strong and amnesty is available.

Thanks, all.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 09:54 AM

The owner of the Trooper I just bought put it officially in "non-op" status when the 2023 tags were due. Although the vehicle had not been on a public road during the storage period, I had to pay a full year's registration fee plus other transfer costs and only get seven months before I have to renew the tags!

When the title is transferred, why doesn't the new registration start in the month the new owner buys the vehicle?

Same thing with Mexican registration. When I bought a used Mexican-plated vehicle several years ago, my mechanic came with me to check out the vehicle and looked over all the papers to make sure everything was in order. But what he missed was that the registration had run out a year before. When I went to register it in my name, I had to pay what was owing.

Certainly not fair to the buyer, and if my mechanic or I had caught that, I would have negotiated the price to account for the extra I was going to have to pay.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Certainly not fair to the buyer, and if my mechanic or I had caught that, I would have negotiated the price to account for the extra I was going to have to pay.

How much was the rego for a year for that car?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.