Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Mexicali East Driving
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2024 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ChrisLaPaz  
I’m riding my motorcycle down to la Paz (live there half time) and didn’t want to leave it unattended while I search around to get fmm.

At East crossing, immigration is right there. Ask one of the immigration officers to watch your bike. Offer to pay him.

When I shop Cabo Costco, and have a surfboard on top my car, I track down security (or guys hanging in front of the building wanting to help with a loaded cart), asking him to keep an eye on my board. I give him 100 pesos. No problem.

Get pesos in San Felipe. Lots of places.

PS -- good attitude about bike security. Keep an eye on it always.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-12-2024 at 10:03 AM

Not really committed to the east. I was going to use the west crossing but seeing the the immigration/fmm office is right at the east crossing I thought it might be easier. I’m riding my motorcycle down to la Paz (live there half time) and didn’t want to leave it unattended while I search around to get fmm. I’ve entered at every other crossing and returned to USA through Mexicali west (which was horrible with an rv pulling a trailer ). San Luis has been my favorite but it’s out of the way as I’m coming from Palm Springs area.
If the fmm office is right at the crossing with good parking at Mexicali west I’d probably go that way because of the proximity to getting on 5.
I’m not all that concerned about it, just wondering.

southbound via mexicali west, park on right just after the inspection islands. there is parking for about 10+(?) vehicles. sometimes when busy/full parking I have had to double-park, and leave a person with vehicle (take turns going in to get fmm). on a motorcyle you should have no problem parking.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

ChrisLaPaz

[*] posted on 3-12-2024 at 10:53 AM

Thanks for more info. I’m in La Paz now, flying up to Michigan to take my granddaughter home from spring break down here and to work for a week, then to Palm Springs to get my bike and get it down here. I’m not worried about pesos, I’ll just bring a bunch with me. Also, mostly worried about security of gear in Mexicali, not as much other places farther south.
towntaco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2024 at 06:11 PM

Not really committed to the east. I was going to use the west crossing but seeing the the immigration/fmm office is right at the east crossing I thought it might be easier. I’m riding my motorcycle down to la Paz (live there half time) and didn’t want to leave it unattended while I search around to get fmm. I’ve entered at every other crossing and returned to USA through Mexicali west (which was horrible with an rv pulling a trailer ). San Luis has been my favorite but it’s out of the way as I’m coming from Palm Springs area.
If the fmm office is right at the crossing with good parking at Mexicali west I’d probably go that way because of the proximity to getting on 5.
I’m not all that concerned about it, just wondering.
As others have said, immigration/fmm is also immediately before the crossing at Mexicali West. Having crossed in TJ, Tecate and Mexicali East & West, I find Mexicali West to be the easiest/quickest option to handle FMM then hit the MX5. The only time Tecate enters the picture these days is if I want to take El Compadre Trail when heading south.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2024 at 06:31 PM

Understand
The main reason for east crossing is avoiding those bad guys the hit you bumper and try to scam you into a payment. Multiple reports on facebook.
That is because of traffic and the concentration of several bad guys and bad cops along the normal route going south.
Sure the east crossing has traffic but no reports of the bad things going like the many report in the central city when using the west crossing.
To bad the construction is screwing up the east crossing main route.

BTW, there is not issue getting the FMM at any crossing. Just stop and ask the guard if you are uncertain as to where to park.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2024 at 06:50 AM

I was in Mexicali 2 weeks ago, my friends who live there said to just stay on Calle Novena all the way North to South and vice versa until you hit the San Felipe Road. Or just cut over west to Venustiano after the construction. Apparently they are building a bridge.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2024 at 02:00 PM

I guess I did something similar to Boojuman described above.
Here is a good way. I will try it next time.

Novena, 2, north a short way N on 2, left to Roble, Rt to Largo del Nte, left to Venusyiano, left on 5 south. Hope it works?

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2024 at 02:58 PM

Mexicali East northbound
Going North the Right lane is closed for new construction
If you are following my instructions you will come from the east and you will have to go straight and make a U turn and go back to the border and enter Ready lane.
At some point you will be directed into the right lane for the US entry for busses and oversize vehicles.
Do not stay in the ready lane after you cross the border because there are height restrictions and you wont fit. This applies for trailer width as well.
Good luck.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-13-2024 at 04:14 PM

Are there signs north and southbound for this or what they say is the best route?

Also, for us from San Diego who use Mexicali West, there was one (last) left turn that had no sign. Has that been fixed?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2024 at 05:37 PM

David
No signs for that newest East route shown above. None should be needed. I worry about the left turn from 2 to Roble because GE is not detailed to my satisfaction.

The West route has signs and there is so much traffic most folks miss the sign. That is where the Hwy 5 has a gentile right at the Y. Easy to be in the wrong lane for sure.
My last crossing south from west crossing I missed a sign and got totally lost and had to pull over and get orientated. It has been a while so maybe signs are better.

On the first post on this thread the green route for the east Mexicali crossing still functions as I described. Signs are still an issue.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2024 at 09:52 PM

I guess we just can trust the Waze or Google to talk us through town.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaroad

[*] posted on 3-13-2024 at 09:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
David
No signs for that newest East route shown above. None should be needed. I worry about the left turn from 2 to Roble because GE is not detailed to my satisfaction.

The West route has signs and there is so much traffic most folks miss the sign. That is where the Hwy 5 has a gentile right at the Y. Easy to be in the wrong lane for sure.
My last crossing south from west crossing I missed a sign and got totally lost and had to pull over and get orientated. It has been a while so maybe signs are better.

On the first post on this thread the green route for the east Mexicali crossing still functions as I described. Signs are still an issue.

Given the closure detours, would you say your Green route is now the preferred route going south? Just more congested?
I've only ever taken the Red route, except once from the West crossing.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2024 at 10:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaroad  
David

Given the closure detours, would you say your Green route is now the preferred route going south? Just more congested?
I've only ever taken the Red route, except once from the West crossing.

Use waze or google, stick to main roads, you will be fine..

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2024 at 07:57 AM

Google maps does not show closures
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2024 at 10:21 AM

Waze does have 'live' road reporting by users which is relayed. Not sure of how many Baja travelers provide feedback, however. In any case both services will reroute you to your destination should you deviate as in the case of a detour.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2024 at 10:32 AM

Mexicali is small city. Don't sweat it. Point south, drive on! :thumbup:

Woke!

Bajaroad

[*] posted on 3-14-2024 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Yep.....no sweat. Trying to get it straight tho because I'm on a moto leading another rider, which makes it more difficult to follow directions and communicate. I'm using a Garmin GPS, and it's offering these directions which differ only slightly from Google.
,.........Well I'd share the Garmin route but the file size limit is too small.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2024 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaroad  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Yep.....no sweat. Trying to get it straight tho because I'm on a moto leading another rider, which makes it more difficult to follow directions and communicate. I'm using a Garmin GPS, and it's offering these directions which differ only slightly from Google.
,.........Well I'd share the Garmin route but the file size limit is too small.

On the Nomad Photos forum, the top post explains a way to post 'large' images here. Or, you can send it to me and I will post it here for you!

floydo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2024 at 11:15 AM
East Crossing going north

Read a post from yesterday on facebook baja road conditions that the right entry lane(s) northbound/westbound off of Novena/Rodrequez is under construction. Somewhat confusing description, but sounds like the Sentri/Ready lane (open) would allow you to get in the normal lanes but the Sentri lane is a hard right (from the east) and difficult to make with a trailer. Advice seemed to be to avoid this entrance if you have a trailer.....
We intend to cross in about a week so will find out (no trailer)...
This seems to be consistent with earlier comments. Be curious if there are any that have experienced the crossing very recently...
FWIW..

[Edited on 3-16-2024 by floydo]
floydo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2024 at 11:42 AM

Floydo,
Is the fmm office in the building labeled “fmm park for customs” in the image or in the covered area labeled “inspectors”? I’m going there in a couple weeks and never entered at Mexicali before.

inspectors....
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.