Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rattlesnake Beach Boat Launch
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2023 at 03:58 PM
Rattlesnake Beach Boat Launch

I am planning another trip south from Mulege to Tembabichi in my Windrider 17 trimaran in early November.

Last time I doubled back north from Agua Verde and got picked up at the north end of Rattlesnake beach at the rustic boat launch area.

I know there is no overnight camping there anymore. I had heard the boat launch was blocked off now.

Anyone live nearby that can confirm that launch area is still closed? Hoping the locals removed the barriers by now.

I can use Puerto Escondido ramp if I have to but I would rather not. It is a bit of a process dismantling the boat.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-6-2023 at 08:07 AM

I don't have any answers for you, but I hope to be passing by that area a couple of weeks before your planned voyage. If there aren't any helpful replies by then I would be glad to check it out!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-6-2023 at 04:07 PM

Can you launch on the beach of Playa Ligüí? It is just a bit south of Rattlesnake or Puerto Escondido.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2023 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I don't have any answers for you, but I hope to be passing by that area a couple of weeks before your planned voyage. If there aren't any helpful replies by then I would be glad to check it out!

That would be much appreciated AK. Gracias
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2023 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Can you launch on the beach of Playa Ligüí? It is just a bit south of Rattlesnake or Puerto Escondido.

I have not checked that area out before. The north end of Rattlesnake beach is great because it is out of the northerly winds and I know a little spot close by where we can camp the night before.

I will have to go to Ligüi one day.

Thanks David
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-7-2023 at 09:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

I have not checked that area out before. The north end of Rattlesnake beach is great because it is out of the northerly winds and I know a little spot close by where we can camp the night before.

I will have to go to Ligüi one day.

Thanks David

The beach at Ligüí, in 2017 (north and south):

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2023 at 12:36 PM

The barriers to the north end of the beach at Rattlesnake were taken down a couple of years ago. The beach launch is fully accessible. There is a guard shortly after you turn off the Puerto Escondido road, but he is there only to enforce the current "no camping" rule. You should have no problem.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2023 at 07:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and jane  
The barriers to the north end of the beach at Rattlesnake were taken down a couple of years ago. The beach launch is fully accessible. There is a guard shortly after you turn off the Puerto Escondido road, but he is there only to enforce the current "no camping" rule. You should have no problem.

That’s great. Thank you for letting me know.

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2023 at 02:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
Quote: Originally posted by Bob and jane  

That’s great. Thank you for letting me know.

Just got back home from my sailing trip. Great time. I will post a trip report later.

The boat launch is open but only for kayaks. I got away with it by walking to the guard trailer and telling him I had “ a very large kayak” and my friend would come by soon with our trailer. The guard was not impressed when we rolled up with my Windrider 17 trimaran but he did not ask for a mordida.

The locals using Juncalito as a boat launch now. Next time I will probably go there if the northern winds are not too bad. Talked with a Canadian boat owner who is full time on a mooring buoy in Puerto Escondido. He said there is a lot of mordida rip offs going on there, so be aware.
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 11-19-2023 at 12:00 PM

I just returned from a week in Mexico. My family came down to celebrate my sister's 70 th birthday. We went to rattlesnake beach to spend the day out of the wind and enjoy the water

My friend Chino is the Guard for this beach. They are only keeping out the night campers and allowing daytime use .

Chino lives in ligui and I've known him for years. He is very friendly and has a wonderful family . He told me that that he will be losing his job in 2 months as the park is going to fence off the road.

I find it sad that if one is even asked to pay a day fee for using the beach they call it Mordida. I know Chino would never do this as I see he didn't ask you for anything. But you seem happy that you were able to take advantage of his good nature and break the rules.

My family was more than happy to each donate 100 pesos about 5 USD to Chino for the privilege to enjoy the beach in a Marine National park.

We didn't have to give him anything but gifted it because we feel that sharing a little goes a long way to a man with a family who is paid less than 20 dollars a day

They are fencing it off because they cannot afford to pay locals to clean up the trash and keep things in order.

:?:
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2023 at 01:35 PM

Your right. Chino seemed like a great person and I should have given him a donation. Next time I will go to Juncalito and avoid any problems.
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 11-19-2023 at 02:06 PM

No worries. Just wish they would keep the beach open. The north winds will be getting stronger and it's a good place to be when it's a blowing

Viva Baja !

:bounce::bounce:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.