Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Sea of Cortez Side Trip with a Newbie
Ateo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-7-2024 at 10:16 AM
Sea of Cortez Side Trip with a Newbie

Taking a sea of Cortez first time down from SD for about four days in February. Not much time and I’ve set BOLA as the furthest destination I’m willing to travel in that amount of time.

The person I’m going with doesn’t like fishing or dirt biking or long hikes. She’s more into tasty seafood, beautiful scenery, kayaking, and maybe chartering a panga to go for a cruise.

We will be staying in hotels this trip.

I plan on crossing in Mexicali and checking Gonzaga and San Felipe, probably for a quick snack and gas but probably taking her to BOLA since she’s mentioned that as a place she’s wanted to go.

I also think that she would dig the Catavina area, cruising around the Cirios and Cardon fields so we may head back that way.

My question to you is:

Any other ideas? Any favorite hotels? I’ve stayed at costa del sol and Villa Bahia in the past.

Now’s your chance to tell us your favorite things to do in that area!

I was toying with the idea of staying at Gonzaga as well.
Have a blessed Sunday Nomads.

[Edited on 1-7-2024 by Ateo]
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 1-7-2024 at 10:49 AM

Jon,
It may be cold and windy during that month..plan accordingly, In BOLA try Los Vientos, great hotel, right on the water.

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-7-2024 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Taking a sea of Cortez first time down from SD for about four days in February. Not much time and I’ve set BOLA as the furthest destination I’m willing to travel in that amount of time.

The person I’m going with doesn’t like fishing or dirt biking or long hikes. She’s more into tasty seafood, beautiful scenery, kayaking, and maybe chartering a panga to go for a cruise.

I plan on crossing in Mexicali and checking Gonzaga and San Felipe, probably for a quick snack and gas but probably taking her to BOLA since she’s mentioned that as a place she’s wanted to go.

I also think that she would dig the Catavina area, cruising around the Cirios and Cardon fields so we may head back that way.

My question to you is:

Any other ideas? Any favorite hotels? I’ve stayed at costa del sol and Villa Bahia in the past.

Go see the whales at san ignacio lagoon. Overnight at catavina on way down or way back.

San felipe is ugly, avoid that area, best to see it from windshield, and never stop more than 30 minutes for lunch

Go southbound on hwy 1 to do catavina, and northbound on hwy 5 to save time and see different scene.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2024 at 01:32 PM

In BoLA, drive out to La Gringa just before the sun goes down, find a spot on the beach and setup a good sized fire (they have firewood at the market at the South end of town). Bring a table (or truck tailgate) and cook up some seafood. Bring tunes and wine or beer.

Also take a panga out to the local islands to sight see a beautiful cove, La Ventana, and the SS Minnow at the beautiful beach at Rincon. Panga can probably pick you up on the beach right at Los Vientos Hotel.

I'll drop some GPS points and pictures later.

[Edited on 1-7-2024 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2024 at 02:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The most dynamic cirio cactus

Not sure whether your last photo is referring to the super tall spiky plants as cireo cactus- if so, they are not- those are Pachypodium lamerei, which are succulents, not cacti.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2024 at 02:14 PM

The Valle de Cirios is not to missed and why I continue to choose to drive down Highway One and will very time.

For sure, I could save a couple of hours on the 5 when heading to GN.

At this stage of my life, I prefer the beauty of the Valle de Cirios and the Catavina desert region and will share that unique beauty with whoever rides with me.

The Valle de Cirios never gets old and when it blooms, it is as spectacular a scene as there tis anywhere with multi colored flowers to the horizon.

You better believe I always pull over for a walk around the house-sized boulders in the desert, whether it is blooming or not.

It is that special of a landscape that calls for some direct experience by stopping and walking around such a region like no other.

Peace love and fish tacos.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2024 at 02:58 PM

Yes, I am well aware that that species of pachypodium is also called Madagascar palm, although it isn't a palm at all, it's a succulent. I know what a cireo cactus is, which also is a succulent, not a cactus.

[Edited on 1-7-2024 by surabi]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-7-2024 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
The most dynamic cirio cactus

Not sure whether your last photo is referring to the super tall spiky plants as cireo cactus- if so, they are not- those are Pachypodium lamerei, which are succulents, not cacti.

Pachypodium lamerei is a Madagascar palm:

Pachypodium lamerei is a species of flowering plant in the family Apocynaceae. It is a stem succulent, photosynthesizing mainly through its trunk, and comes from the island of Madagascar, off the east coast of Africa. It has large thorns and leaves mostly just at the top of the plant, and large, fragrant flowers. Wikipedia
Scientific name: Pachypodium lamerei

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My photo is taken in Baja California, between Calamajué Canyon and El Crucero (north of the L.A. Bay junction)...

Cirio (aka boojum tree)

Consult this book if you like:

OR:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boojum_tree

Also:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fouquieria_columnaris

everyone is a little bit wrong.

dk: Fouquieria columnaris (boojum tree, cirio) is not a cactus

surabi: boojum tree is not a madagascar palm

cirio is related to the ocotillo, and cirio and ocotillo are both succulents (and not cacti)

fyi.... all cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2024 at 03:45 PM

I didn't say that Madagascar palm (I have a big clump of them in my garden) was a boojum tree. I know the difference. I just thought the photo David posted looked more like a pachypodium than a boojum, but was hard to tell without a closer-up photo.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2024 at 06:58 PM

As around about the whale sharks in BOLA. If it's reported they're around, find a panguero to go out on the water and find them for you. You can find a nice restaurant in San Felipe, at least some fish tacos on the beach to get into the Baja vibe.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Terry28  
Jon,
It may be cold and windy during that month..plan accordingly, In BOLA try Los Vientos, great hotel, right on the water.

Thanks Terry, that was my one concern, the weather. I may try to just delay it another month and a half to two months. Thank you for your input.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

My question to you is:

Go see the whales at san ignacio lagoon. Overnight at catavina on way down or way back.

San felipe is ugly, avoid that area, best to see it from windshield, and never stop more than 30 minutes for lunch

Go southbound on hwy 1 to do catavina, and northbound on hwy 5 to save time and see different scene.

I have to admit you had me cracking up laughing reading "San Felipe is ugly"...... Definitely think the whale trip would probably be better call that time of the year. I'll take that into account for sure. Thanks.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 10:28 AM

The most dynamic cirio cactus is on the roads to Bahía de los Angeles and down to Mission San Borja (a must see). No need to go to the cold-wet Pacific side unless you are surfing.

Four days is short but a trip to both L.A. Bay and San Borja, via Gonzaga Bay should be a good introduction for your friend...

San Borja photo album: https://vivabaja.com/san-borja/
Bahía de los Angeles info page: https://www.bahiadelosangeles.info/

Thanks David,

I also should've mentioned that we probably won't be doing this trip in a truck Sony far off crumbly roads would be out of the question. Not sure if that is an issue with the Borja mission. I think it may be doable in an SUV....
Ateo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
In BoLA, drive out to La Gringa just before the sun goes down, find a spot on the beach and setup a good sized fire (they have firewood at the market at the South end of town). Bring a table (or truck tailgate) and cook up some seafood. Bring tunes and wine or beer.

Also take a panga out to the local islands to sight see a beautiful cove, La Ventana, and the SS Minnow at the beautiful beach at Rincon. Panga can probably pick you up on the beach right at Los Vientos Hotel.

I'll drop some GPS points and pictures later.

Thanks for the laser guided advice! Direct hit on a great idea!
Will do.

[Edited on 1-7-2024 by JZ]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
The Valle de Cirios is not to missed and why I continue to choose to drive down Highway One and will very time.

For sure, I could save a couple of hours on the 5 when heading to GN.

At this stage of my life, I prefer the beauty of the Valle de Cirios and the Catavina desert region and will share that unique beauty with whoever rides with me.

The Valle de Cirios never gets old and when it blooms, it is as spectacular a scene as there tis anywhere with multi colored flowers to the horizon.

You better believe I always pull over for a walk around the house-sized boulders in the desert, whether it is blooming or not.

It is that special of a landscape that calls for some direct experience by stopping and walking around such a region like no other.

Peace love and fish tacos.

That area is very special. Ever since I've been telling her about Baja, the Cirios area is what I've been focusing on. So the plan is to definitely probably come back north that way and spend the night in Catavina!
Ateo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
As around about the whale sharks in BOLA. If it's reported they're around, find a panguero to go out on the water and find them for you. You can find a nice restaurant in San Felipe, at least some fish tacos on the beach to get into the Baja vibe.

Thanks Wilderone. Definitely going to stop in San Felipe for some fish tacos on the way south. Thank you.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 10:39 AM

After sleeping on it, I think it would be a better idea for me to delay the trip couple months till it starts to warm up a little more, if that's the area I end up traveling through. Maybe whales instead........then Cortez side in April/May or June. I wanna be in the water more without a wetsuit!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 11:12 AM

The cirios (boojum trees) are seen nearly all the way along the highway 5 and 1, from around Coco's Corner to the view of Bahía de los Angeles. [Goat, in this case a 'cactus' as a generic term for any plant, covered in thorns, native to the desert, but thank you.]

If you are not in a truck or SUV, then pass on the San Borja drive... the mostly easy-drive-road to the mission (22 miles) was damaged by last September's hurricane. I did think you had a Tundra 4x4, however.

Have a great time and try to have a day where you don't drive all day. Going to San Ignacio Lagoon is just not possible for a 4-day vacation unless driving 12 hours down there and 12 back is worth it to maybe see and touch the whales.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 11:33 AM

After sleeping on it, I think it would be a better idea for me to delay the trip couple months till it starts to warm up a little more, if that's the area I end up traveling through. Maybe whales instead........then Cortez side in April/May or June. I wanna be in the water more without a wetsuit!

xlnt plan Jon :coolup:

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Salsa
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2024 at 04:17 PM

"Not sure if that is an issue with the Borja mission."

When I went years ago, I couldn't get up a very slippery hill going in from the BOLA road. No problem getting in from Punta Prieta at that time.

Don
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.