Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Alkimia development in Gonzaga
pescadorrr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2024 at 12:18 PM
Alkimia development in Gonzaga

Wondering if anyone has any more information on this proposed new development south of Gonzaga. It seems like it is going to happen, but there are many places around Baja that were porosed developments that never took off. I am wondering what kind of infrastructue improvements might come along with it.

Thanks!

https://baja-ecohomes.com/property/paraisoalkimia/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Proyecto+Alkimia+-+San+Lui...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-10-2024 at 12:38 PM

Odd to want such tiny lots in a very rural area…

That development is on an alluvial fan. Every few decades or so the community will see really big flood flow, flows that will not stay in confined channels, but will move around…

It wont be an official failed development until they put up a big entryway at the highway, and that entryway becomes weathered scrap, and they bulldoze the native vegetation off every scrap of land to provide that bare land look we all know and love :lol:

[Edited on 4-10-2024 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

pescadorrr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2024 at 06:36 PM

Wow. It seems like there would be better places to put this. I just don’t see how the surrounding infrastructure could support something like this.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-10-2024 at 07:26 PM

The business model is probably based on selling lots, not actually putting in the infrastructure to support a subdivision.

It doesn't appear to be in the potential flood zone like the place just to the northwest of it, but it is too flat and boring to attract me.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-11-2024 at 07:01 AM

Water? Fresh water is key. Will they drill wells to extract water from the underground flow of Arroyo Santa María (mislabeled Arroyo Las Arrastras on topo maps)?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pete69
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2024 at 07:05 AM

That arroyo was just wiped out from the last hurricane. There had been grading done,. sort of, but it's all gone. That area has flooded many times since I been in Punta Final.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-11-2024 at 08:03 AM

On the plus side, it appears to be at low risk of wild fires!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-11-2024 at 08:44 AM

size of the lots indicates that it is aimed at Mexicali and Ensenada residents. Same size lots are sold in La Paz to locals. About 200 sq meters.

Harald Pietschmann
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2024 at 08:54 AM

The Image from the developer is newer than the Google Earth. Developer 2024, GE 2019 when you zoom in and 2023 when zooming out.
I would place the development a short distance north of the arroyo?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2024 at 12:09 PM

There are so many opportunities to buy something already built, lots, or with utilities already available between San Felipe and Gonzaga Bay. I don't know what anyone would otherwise be wanting from this development.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 4-11-2024 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
There are so many opportunities to buy something already built, lots, or with utilities already available between San Felipe and Gonzaga Bay. I don't know what anyone would otherwise be wanting from this development.

the protected bay!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-11-2024 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

the protected bay!

Not much protection from a north wind, which there has been a whole lot of lately! I plan on driving by there on my way home in a couple of weeks.

I car camped in my Kia somewhere close to there a couple of years ago. Not much wind that time, but a pack of coyotes kept my dog a little nervous.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2024 at 03:25 PM

The true 'Gonzaga Bay' or Bahía San Luis Gonzaga, is a well-protected natural harbor, discovered by Padre Consag on his 1746 sea expedition along the coast to the Colorado Delta. It is the bay between Papa Fernandez' and Alfonsina's, fully sheltered.

A warehouse (from the Franciscan and Dominican periods) foundation outline is near the shore, midway between Papa's and Alfonsina's. Supplies for Mission San Fernando and those that followed were offloaded here and a cargo trail was made that went west and intersected El Camino Real, about 4 miles northbound of Mission Santa María... shown on the Benchmark Atlas and seen partially on Google Earth imagery.

The bigger bay, from Alfonsina's to Punta Final is technically named Ensenada de San Francisquito, after the gold ore port near Molino de Lacy (by Punta Final Resort), which was named Molino de San Francisquito prior to William Lacy's death.

Anyway, it is not a surprise that the bigger bay is also called Gonzaga. The Mexican topo maps switched bay names (not a surprise) adding confusion. Also, the H.O. nautical charts produced by the U.S. many years ago named the smaller Gonzaga Bay, 'Willard Bay', after the point (Punta Willard) next to Papa Fernandez' Resort.

Are we totally confused yet? LOL

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2024 at 11:49 AM

Agree with Wilderone that there are already plenty of underutilized campos along that stretch where one can lease a lot, especially south of Isla Huerfanito where undeveloped lots are available for less than $100 a month. Some of these campos have actually seen declining numbers of Americano renters since the paved highway was completed. At Campo Cinco Islas all the gringos packed up and left or aged out, just to the south the place up on the cliff is abandoned and in ruins.

In addition to lack of water the area around Cinco Islas can be really windy with a gusty nocturnal wind that blows offshore for days at a time. It can really get on your nerves after a while. And then there are the bugs, said to swarm in from the Islands offshore.

Perhaps the location of this development a little to the south will result in some improvement on the wind and the bugs. As far as drainage, it appears the development is located south of the alluvial fan of the big Arroyo Santa Maria (aka San Francisquito). The alluvial fan where this campo is located has a smaller watershed. Nonetheless there is always the chance that the next big hurricane will wash out anything built near an arroyo. Maybe the proximity of this development to Punta Final and the availability of titled lots (?) might make it more attractive. I have heard Punta Final is getting quite popular these days.

Buy my book: The Gold of Northern Baja, $24.99 on Amazon.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2024 at 12:35 PM

Isolation has an appeal. The highway ended that
Yes, get bajaric's book!!

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2024 at 12:15 PM

"gringos packed up and left or aged out," I think that's a big factor. Who is the demographic that would be interested in this? Remember Rancho Costa Verde? It's about 70 (?) miles north of Alkimia - closer to San Felipe - an actual town. In the 13 years that Rcho C Verde has been selling lots, there are reportedly 55 built, with 40 planned. To its credit, a smallish motel and clubhouse with a pool has been built. There ya go. In 2015 when I went there for a presentation, lots were selling for $17k. On their website today, lots are selling for $22k. The spiel back in 2015 was that prices of lots would skyrocket like Cabo - you could re-sell your lot for profit. Back then they were bringing busloads of people down for sales presentations - a lot of staff and expense to do that. But that's what it takes - big time marketing. And in all the time that Punta Final has been known to be available for development of lots, how big is it? I first went there in 1980 - a few houses then. In fact, there are two properties for sale right now! One house for $75k, and one nice 4 bdrm for $190k. And there's a run-down "garage" for $35k for the more ambitious with "vision". Certainly doesn't look like any big demand is taking place. Thousands of properties for sale all over Mexico.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-13-2024 at 01:30 PM

I am staying at Campestre Maranatha in Chametla for a couple of weeks, and have been driving quite a few of the back streets here, and in El Centenario and El Comitan.

There appear to be quite a few new lots being created to sell, and some new buildings are under construction. Despite that, there are many lots that appear to have been for sale for years with nothing happening.

I have no idea what land is selling for around here.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2024 at 03:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I am staying at Campestre Maranatha in Chametla for a couple of weeks, and have been driving quite a few of the back streets here, and in El Centenario and El Comitan.

There appear to be quite a few new lots being created to sell, and some new buildings are under construction. Despite that, there are many lots that appear to have been for sale for years with nothing happening.

I have no idea what land is selling for around here.

around $100 US along the "beach", around $50 in the village, around $70 in the Gringo hills, around $30 outside the grid.

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2024 at 03:54 PM

"gringos packed up and left or aged out," I think that's a big factor. Who is the demographic that would be interested in this? Remember Rancho Costa Verde? It's about 70 (?) miles north of Alkimia - closer to San Felipe - an actual town. In the 13 years that Rcho C Verde has been selling lots, there are reportedly 55 built, with 40 planned. To its credit, a smallish motel and clubhouse with a pool has been built. There ya go. In 2015 when I went there for a presentation, lots were selling for $17k. On their website today, lots are selling for $22k. The spiel back in 2015 was that prices of lots would skyrocket like Cabo - you could re-sell your lot for profit. Back then they were bringing busloads of people down for sales presentations - a lot of staff and expense to do that. But that's what it takes - big time marketing. And in all the time that Punta Final has been known to be available for development of lots, how big is it? I first went there in 1980 - a few houses then. In fact, there are two properties for sale right now! One house for $75k, and one nice 4 bdrm for $190k. And there's a run-down "garage" for $35k for the more ambitious with "vision". Certainly doesn't look like any big demand is taking place. Thousands of properties for sale all over Mexico.

if I am not mistaken - you can not own property in Punta Final (just like Alfonsina's). You can buy/build a house - but you don't own the land.

Harald Pietschmann
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2024 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Odd to want such tiny lots in a very rural area…

That development is on an alluvial fan. Every few decades or so the community will see really big flood flow, flows that will not stay in confined channels, but will move around…

It wont be an official failed development until they put up a big entryway at the highway, and that entryway becomes weathered scrap, and they bulldoze the native vegetation off every scrap of land to provide that bare land look we all know and love :lol:

[Edited on 4-10-2024 by mtgoat666]

On the other hand, some folks feel safer with other homes 10 feet away. I've sold residential properties that didn't have a view of neighbors and some buyers just don't.dig it. Fear is a component of wanting close neighbors
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.