Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: Three Missing Surfers Found Dead
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2024 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Bajagringo wrote a piece worth reading…

To Mexico and the Rest of Us Who Love this Country…
An open letter to Mexico and all the rest of us who love Mexico. The very best of Baja is slowly becoming too dangerous to visit anymore

https://talkbaja.com/to-mexico-and-the-rest-of-us-who-love-t...

A very sobering note from someone who has experienced the best and worst of what Baja has to offer first-hand.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 5-5-2024 at 01:17 PM

Paddle out for the boys today at San Miguel at four after a peaceful demonstration in ensenada asking for authorities to keep us safe...it's a start.

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
digcolnagos

[*] posted on 5-5-2024 at 03:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Bajagringo wrote a piece worth reading…

To Mexico and the Rest of Us Who Love this Country…
An open letter to Mexico and all the rest of us who love Mexico. The very best of Baja is slowly becoming too dangerous to visit anymore

https://talkbaja.com/to-mexico-and-the-rest-of-us-who-love-t...

A very sobering note from someone who has experienced the best and worst of what Baja has to offer first-hand.

Great piece. Gotta say, these deaths are giving me pause.

Had plans to move to Bahia Asuncion for a year or so, maybe longer, maybe forever, if I really liked it. And I've really liked it during my two visits.

Now, I shudder about that solo drive I took for an afternoon north of Bahia Tortugas a year ago. Was that fellow who stopped and talked to me--he did not appear/sound friendly, and I don't speak Spanish (yet)--after I'd gotten out of my rental car to walk around a deserted fishing camp OK or would things have gone differently if I'd arrived at a different time? How far can I walk down the beach at BA before I should worry? If I move there, would I have to stay in town 24/7, in which case I wouldn't move there? Is it safe to go fishing alone?

Years ago, my father and I spent a week in Zihuatanejo. Had a great time. Watched the Super Bowl in a bar/restaurant on the beach. Not long after, the mayor was gunned down at the very same bar restaurant--the photos with blood-soaked sand, six feet from where we'd been sitting, were chilling. That seemed to be a turning point. Expats stopped the it-can-happen-anywhere responses when folks asked whether Z was safe.

I'll be in BA in July. I'd planned on scouting for places to live. Now, I'll be assessing whether to live there at all. What a horrible thing. Always, somehow, thought Baja was immune--normal precautions would keep me safe, I can walk around Loreto at any hour. Now, I think I was just naive.

[Edited on 5-5-2024 by digcolnagos]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-5-2024 at 07:41 PM

this last senseless tragedy has affected everyone and made me sooooo glad I live in Bahia Asuncion where it is still safe to remote camp or fish or beachcomb whatever. We dont lock our doors, leave our car keys in the car and windows down in town etc.

This area of central Baja has an excellent security patrol operated by the fishing cooperatives who do rounds 24/7 on all remote beach roads as they watch for poachers. This makes it very safe and the vigilancia guys usually stop and chat with people out in remote areas to see if they are OK or need anything from town etc. I feel extremely safe and are often by myself in remote areas.
Some people are frightened by the patrols thinking they are the bad guys coming to do harm so if you dont speak spanish you may have a hard time understanding what they are saying but they are there to protect you.

There are many places that are well know to be sketchy and dangerous and one need to know where these places are. When I have suggested to stay away from certain places people often discount the info and go there anyway. Bad things happen in known dangerous areas...especially between TJ & San Quintin.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
US 41
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2024 at 07:46 PM

I've driven into Mexico three times, all with my own vehicle, but I kind of doubt I'll ever take my own personal vehicle into Mexico again. I still plan on traveling to Mexico in the future including both BC states, but it will be in a rental car. I guess if someone wants the rental car they can have it, that's what the theft insurance is for. Not chancing losing my car though. Of course that means I'll have to fly to Mexico now, but at least I'll be able to avoid the border areas and the crooked border town cops looking to make a buck from American drivers.

I'm not against "camping" in the car at a truck stop or a rest area in a well lit area (away from the city) where there's plenty of people around, but I won't "camp" in any secluded areas anymore. Did that when I was 18 or 19 in the Big Bend Park in Texas and looking back that was probably pretty stupid. In Mexico there's so many cheap and clean hotels that are $40 USD or less that "camping" in the car doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me anymore anyways.
digcolnagos

[*] posted on 5-5-2024 at 09:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
this last senseless tragedy has affected everyone and made me sooooo glad I live in Bahia Asuncion where it is still safe to remote camp or fish or beachcomb whatever. We dont lock our doors, leave our car keys in the car and windows down in town etc.

This area of central Baja has an excellent security patrol operated by the fishing cooperatives who do rounds 24/7 on all remote beach roads as they watch for poachers. This makes it very safe and the vigilancia guys usually stop and chat with people out in remote areas to see if they are OK or need anything from town etc. I feel extremely safe and are often by myself in remote areas.
Some people are frightened by the patrols thinking they are the bad guys coming to do harm so if you dont speak spanish you may have a hard time understanding what they are saying but they are there to protect you.

There are many places that are well know to be sketchy and dangerous and one need to know where these places are. When I have suggested to stay away from certain places people often discount the info and go there anyway. Bad things happen in known dangerous areas...especially between TJ & San Quintin.

Thanks, Shari. This makes me feel a bit better.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2024 at 10:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by US 41  
I've driven into Mexico three times, all with my own vehicle, but I kind of doubt I'll ever take my own personal vehicle into Mexico again. I still plan on traveling to Mexico in the future including both BC states, but it will be in a rental car. I guess if someone wants the rental car they can have it, that's what the theft insurance is for. Not chancing losing my car though. Of course that means I'll have to fly to Mexico now, but at least I'll be able to avoid the border areas and the crooked border town cops looking to make a buck from American drivers.

I'm not against "camping" in the car at a truck stop or a rest area in a well lit area (away from the city) where there's plenty of people around, but I won't "camp" in any secluded areas anymore. Did that when I was 18 or 19 in the Big Bend Park in Texas and looking back that was probably pretty stupid. In Mexico there's so many cheap and clean hotels that are $40 USD or less that "camping" in the car doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me anymore anyways.

I've taken my trucks to Sonora and Baja 50+ times over the last 15 years.

The area where this happened has been well know for sketchy stuff for nearly 20 years. Get below the border and away from the population as quickly as you can.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2024 at 11:37 PM

I am still in shock over these senseless deaths. Even though we are now in Poland (far away), I feel the deaths and grieve for the families.

Camping remotely is not a good idea any more - drugs make monsters.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 05:52 AM

Does anyone believe justice will be done??
People....this is Mexico!

Exercise regularly. Eat sensibly. Die anyway.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 07:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

I've taken my trucks to Sonora and Baja 50+ times over the last 15 years.

The area where this happened has been well know for sketchy stuff for nearly 20 years. Get below the border and away from the population as quickly as you can.

Years and years ago, when you got thru Tijuana, you were 'safe'. Then, it was Rosarito. --Ahhhh, now I'm safe. Then, Ensenada.--- Boy, glad I'm safe now. Then----San Quintin----Now ---Gone are the days of the real freedom and relaxation felt when traveling in Baja. My heart goes out to the families of these boys. Read Ron Hoff's article, and take care.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 08:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by watizname  
Years and years ago, when you got thru Tijuana, you were 'safe'. Then, it was Rosarito. --Ahhhh, now I'm safe. Then, Ensenada.--- Boy, glad I'm safe now. Then----San Quintin----Now ---Gone are the days of the real freedom and relaxation felt when traveling in Baja. My heart goes out to the families of these boys. Read Ron Hoff's article, and take care.

Yup, lots of bad guys around these days all over the peninsula, and the bigger the population, the more bad guys.

I still feel safe almost anywhere on the peninsula during the day. However, you need to be somewhere safe at night. Spending the night at remote beaches anywhere on the peninsula is a bad idea unless there are groups of other campers nearby. If you're the only campsite, you're a sitting duck.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 08:58 AM

So very, very sad. Guys make a quick trip to Baja for some surf and tacos and then its done. This hits home.

Baja changed in the mid 80s and it has just gotten worse.
That's when Ruben Blades wrote the song "Desapariciones" later covered by Maná. Pretty much covers the hidden part of this story.

A Mexican landowner/rancher missing for two weeks and not much noise about that as usual in Mexico. Some tourists go missing and all hands on deck and quickly the case closed. Only reason they found the ranchers remains is because of response to the 3 tourists missing.

Asi es en Mexico. No hay ley. Ni modo.
Amor, vamos a Eastlake. Si mi vida, vamos a Eastlake.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 09:26 AM

Maybe the tide will start to turn for the better: "On Sunday [5/5/24], dozens of mourners, surfers and demonstrators gathered in a main plaza in Ensenada, the nearest city, to voice their anger and sadness at the deaths."
As to searching for the rancher - who would have thought to look THERE.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 11:22 AM

...Did that when I was 18 or 19 in the Big Bend Park in Texas and looking back that was probably pretty stupid...

Why pray tell is camping in a national park "pretty stupid"?

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

Why did they think to look there for the surfer boys? I'd suspect no one bothered to look very thoroughly for the rancher. And what's the back story on that? Why was he killed? Did they steal his truck, too? Same body disposal site, same perps?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 11:48 AM

Don't forget about Mary Ann Humfreville.
Her truck was stolen in the middle of the night, in a area of beach homes along Bahía de los Angeles. A harmless older lady, living alone, since her 'author and Nomad' husband Mike died. Her body was never found. Like the white Chevy of the surfers was, her red Ford was found burned almost beyond recognition to conceal the crime, under a Hwy. 1 bridge near El Crucero.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 12:00 PM

And there was that guy who was a veteran Baja traveler and camper who disappeared while camping near Todos Santos, as I recall. And the guy who disappeared while driving from his home on the east cape, to San Jose del Cabo (as I recall) during the day.
What happened with those cases? Were they or their vehicles ever found?
BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
And there was that guy who was a veteran Baja traveler and camper who disappeared while camping near Todos Santos, as I recall.

Wilmer Trivett went Missing Feb 11 2023, his camper was found burned Feb 23, and his body was found April 6. 2 suspects arrested. I guess Trivett backed his camper into the suspect's car some time before he went missing. He paid them some money for backing into them. Apparently it wasn't enough and they went back for more.

And the guy who disappeared while driving from his home on the east cape, to San Jose del Cabo (as I recall) during the day.
What happened with those cases? Were they or their vehicles ever found?

Craig Harrison? This is the last missing person I remember from that area. Had a home in Cabo. Body found in Cabo Pulmo in 2020.
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

Why did they think to look there for the surfer boys? I'd suspect no one bothered to look very thoroughly for the rancher. And what's the back story on that? Why was he killed? Did they steal his truck, too? Same body disposal site, same perps?

The authorities might have gotten the ´well location´ from interrogating the woman they apprehended, the woman they found via the victim´s phone that she was carrying.

[Edited on 5-6-2024 by cupcake]
BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 12:45 PM

This is an absolute tragedy that never should have happened. The deaths are absolutely senseless and very saddening. However, the response is like a broken record at this point. Anytime Americans are murdered in Baja, all the negative people like to point out how they were right about Mexico being unsafe and that no one should ever go there.

All the while, 2 people were shot yesterday about a mile from my house in San Diego and I didn't hear a peep about it. There's hardly a few paragraph news article about it online. https://fox5sandiego.com/news/local-news/police-search-for-s...

Last week, again about a mile from my house, a guy was shot and killed. Maybe it got a 3 seconds mention as they transitioned to the next story. https://fox5sandiego.com/news/local-news/arrest-made-in-fata...

Things happen. Criminals commit crimes. Drug addicts and bad people do bad things. Do the best you can to prevent being a victim, and never risk your life for physical possessions, especially insured ones. Fear isn't going to stop me from living my life.

[Edited on 5-6-2024 by BeachSeeker]
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.