BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Getting to San Francisquito: From Bola or via El Arco?
pescadorrr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 12:26 PM
Getting to San Francisquito: From Bola or via El Arco?

Hola nomads,

A buddy and I will be taking a 4x4 truck with a truck top camper to San Francisquito. We will first be in BOLA for a few days but can soembody tell me if the road is in decent condition south of BOLA to San Francisquito? Or would it be worth the detour to take the paved roads past Guerrero Negro to the dirt road that goes via El Arco to get to San Francisquito?

Gracias!

[Edited on 5-9-2024 by pescadorrr]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 12:30 PM

Go south from L A Bay by all means.
Email Beto but he seems like a fair man and his keeping the beach clean should be worth some kind of tip if free.

https://www.puertosf.com

[Edited on 5-6-2024 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 01:19 PM

Good timing, I drove both those roads last week. Neither is in good condition, but since you are already in B.O.L.A, I would probably just head south.

The last time I drove that route was right after Hurricane Kay, and there were some rugged detours around washed out areas. The temporary repairs have not been upgraded, and there are miles of washboard and long sections of the road are bedrock and cobbles that really can't be graded.

The steeper sections are the worst, and the closer to the junction with the El Arco road, the lack of maintenance is more pronounced.

I did not really need 4x4 with my Trooper, but the road has enough rough and soft areas that I strongly recommend airing down if your tires are large enough to carry the load at a reduced psi.

The road in from El Arco is a smoother ride, and showed signs of recent grading, but it is also still using the temporary repairs from post Kay damage.

The grading does not include pushing the shoulders back where they should be, so there are miles of soft, 1 1/2 lane wide roads. The closest I came to getting stuck was two occasions when I met oncoming pickups and we both had to jump up on huge, soft curbs!

The old repairs to the steep grade down to the junction held up, but it is still slow going. I did not drive the last section down to San Francisquito, but on past visits it always seemed to get better maintenance than either of the roads feeding it.

The last two years have been good for the vegetation which is starting to encroach on the roadways.

A bonus was two different sightings of deer along the road, probably because of the vegetation.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2024 at 02:18 PM

By all means, lower the tires' air pressure!!! At least to 20 psi for most.
Washboard roads don't have to be torture. Lower the air, and be able to drive faster, as if there wasn't the corrugation.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-7-2024 at 09:02 AM

A couple of weeks ago we took the dirt road south of BOLA. The road was in decent condition. In a 4X4, air down to about 12-15 PS! and you may be able to drive about 30 mph on the road. In a side by side, I would recommend no more than 8 PSI in front and 9-10 PSI in the rear. You will then be able to drive the road at 35-45 MPH. Watch your belt temperature and keep it at less than 215º f. Slow down to reduce the belt temps.

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Good timing, I drove both those roads last week. Neither is in good condition, but since you are already in B.O.L.A, I would probably just head south.

The last time I drove that route was right after Hurricane Kay, and there were some rugged detours around washed out areas. The temporary repairs have not been upgraded, and there are miles of washboard and long sections of the road are bedrock and cobbles that really can't be graded.

The steeper sections are the worst, and the closer to the junction with the El Arco road, the lack of maintenance is more pronounced.

I did not really need 4x4 with my Trooper, but the road has enough rough and soft areas that I strongly recommend airing down if your tires are large enough to carry the load at a reduced psi.

The road in from El Arco is a smoother ride, and showed signs of recent grading, but it is also still using the temporary repairs from post Kay damage.

The grading does not include pushing the shoulders back where they should be, so there are miles of soft, 1 1/2 lane wide roads. The closest I came to getting stuck was two occasions when I met oncoming pickups and we both had to jump up on huge, soft curbs!

The old repairs to the steep grade down to the junction held up, but it is still slow going. I did not drive the last section down to San Francisquito, but on past visits it always seemed to get better maintenance than either of the roads feeding it.

The last two years have been good for the vegetation which is starting to encroach on the roadways.

A bonus was two different sightings of deer along the road, probably because of the vegetation.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2024 at 07:36 PM
paying Beto

We were there a year ago and he wanted $20 per person, not vehicle. Ice - $10 dollars for a small block, firewood another ten dollars for a skimpy bundle.

John M
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2024 at 07:58 PM

There is a beautiful, isolated beach on the south shore of Bahía San Rafael... I would go back there in a heartbeat if I didn't need any facilities.

5 miles west of Beto's and 5.6 miles north of the graded road from El Arco (left fork).

GPS: 28.4586, -112.9607

pescadorrr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2024 at 08:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
We were there a year ago and he wanted $20 per person, not vehicle. Ice - $10 dollars for a small block, firewood another ten dollars for a skimpy bundle.

John M

Thanks for the info!

pescadorrr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2024 at 08:51 PM

John M

Gracias

pescadorrr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2024 at 09:21 PM

David K could you post the gps numbers for the road turnoff to get to that beach? It wasn’t clear on Google
Maps. Thanks!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-7-2024 at 09:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pescadorrr  

John M

I am all for paying people for their time, products and services. But $20 per person just to camp is not reasonable. Especially since the Mexican constitution states that all beaches are federal and public and need to have public access. 30 meters beyond median high tide line I believe is public space. He can charge for access to his bathrooms and showers but should not charge if people are just camped out on the beach.

It’s his land, his business. If you can access the beach w/o trespassing on his land, then go for it. Don't expect to win friends.
It aint cheap to buy land, maintain facilities in the boonies, get staff in the boonies,… he has costs, and needs to make a living.

If you cant afford to pay his fees, then perhaps you should go elsewhere.

If you camp on the beach, demanding free access, where are you going to poop? On the beach or on his land? Dont tell me you are going to poop on the beach…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2024 at 09:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

John M

I am all for paying people for their time, products and services. But $20 per person just to camp is not reasonable. Especially since the Mexican constitution states that all beaches are federal and public and need to have public access. 30 meters beyond median high tide line I believe is public space. He can charge for access to his bathrooms and showers but should not charge if people are just camped out on the beach.

It’s his land, his business. If you can access the beach w/o trespassing on his land, then go for it. Don't expect to win friends.
It aint cheap to buy land, maintain facilities in the boonies, get staff in the boonies,… he has costs, and needs to make a living.

If you cant afford to pay his fees, then perhaps you should go elsewhere.

If you camp on the beach, demanding free access, where are you going to poop? On the beach or on his land? Dont tell me you are going to poop on the beach…

And just like that, Goatchaser became a capitalist

Beto's beach is a great place

[Edited on 5-8-2024 by Tioloco]

[Edited on 5-8-2024 by Tioloco]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2024 at 09:43 AM

David K could you post the gps numbers for the road turnoff to get to that beach? It wasn’t clear on Google
Maps. Thanks!

Get the Benchmark Baja Atlas or digital app...
It is the only road going north in the area. Here is the GPS: 28.3913, -112.9238
Before nearing the coast is a fork. My photos are just off the left fork road. The right fork looks promising.

I wish I had more time to explore but I was on a tight schedule doing the Baja Bound mapping project.
See all of that first trip in January 2017: https://vivabaja.com/p117/

pescadorrr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2024 at 04:57 PM

Thanks David!

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2024 at 10:21 AM
Beto's Place

He lives at the left spur road at the cursor.
Other nearby roads are shown on the GPS screenshot.

Beto's Place.jpg - 41kB

B.jpg - 35kB

[Edited on 5-9-2024 by PaulW]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2024 at 04:14 PM

My beach (photos) and road to it are not in this area, but 5 miles west [if you were trying to show that, if not, never mind, lol].

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2024 at 04:31 PM

My Pictures at Beto's beach

IMG_4887.jpg - 146kB

IMG_4888.jpg - 134kB

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.