BajaNomad

Baja Grande planning

Ken Cooke - 3-4-2011 at 12:05 AM

In 2007, the Baja Grande group tried to reach the La Turquesa to Hwy 1 route, but we could not locate this elusive path. So, after following the extensive research performed by David K and TW, we're going to give it another try - 3 1/2 yrs. later!

2011 Baja Grande Schedule-

23/24 de Abril - Rancho Punta Estrella
25/26 de Abril - Gonzaga Bay
27 de Abril - Bay of LA
28 de Abril - Mission Sta. Maria
29 de Abril - El Rosario
30 de Abril - Return to USA

April 24th will be a day to visit Shell Island and maybe a late afternoon trip into San Felipe for dinner and shopping.

April 26th will allow for a full day of 4 wheeling along the La Turquesa Mine Trail: http://vivabaja.com/207/

All in all, I am happy with this revamped schedule which will allow for us to concentrate on the good stuff! :bounce:

racheldarlin - 3-4-2011 at 07:52 AM

Ken,

It looks like a great trip. I will look forward to your trip report. Any new for your rig?

I am currently exploring for a new and shorter route into S. Maria but have found nothing yet for 4 wheels.

PS: I hope the weather is good for you. It has not been typical Baja this year.

David K - 3-4-2011 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by racheldarlin
Ken,

It looks like a great trip. I will look forward to your trip report. Any new for your rig?

I am currently exploring for a new and shorter route into S. Maria but have found nothing yet for 4 wheels.

PS: I hope the weather is good for you. It has not been typical Baja this year.

Only one way in or out with four wheels... 8 months ago:

http://community-2.webtv.net/vivabaja/msm2010/

By foot there is a trail over the mountain from Hwy. 1 near San Ignacito (Puerto La Mision trail) and then there is the EL CAMINO REAL that comes up the mountain from near Gonzaga: http://vivabaja.com/1103 (photos of the other end near Santa Maria on the 2010 trip page.

David K - 3-4-2011 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
In 2007, the Baja Grande group tried to reach the La Turquesa to Hwy 1 route, but we could not locate this elusive path. So, after following the extensive research performed by David K and TW, we're going to give it another try - 3 1/2 yrs. later!

2011 Baja Grande Schedule-

23/24 de Abril - Rancho Punta Estrella
25/26 de Abril - Gonzaga Bay
27 de Abril - Bay of LA
28 de Abril - Mission Sta. Maria
29 de Abril - El Rosario
30 de Abril - Return to USA

April 24th will be a day to visit Shell Island and maybe a late afternoon trip into San Felipe for dinner and shopping.

April 26th will allow for a full day of 4 wheeling along the La Turquesa Mine Trail: http://vivabaja.com/207/

All in all, I am happy with this revamped schedule which will allow for us to concentrate on the good stuff! :bounce:

Why Rancho Punta Estrella instead of Rancho Percebu? (I presume you are not camping on the island because you want toilets and shower facilities?)

Ken Cooke - 3-4-2011 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David KWhy Rancho Punta Estrella instead of Rancho Percebu? (I presume you are not camping on the island because you want toilets and shower facilities?)

25 mile Off-Road Racing Course
Minutes to Shell Island and across the street from Valley of the Giants
Percebu has an "unkept" look as well...

TMW - 3-5-2011 at 10:50 AM

David K you should come down for this event on the 26th. Either as a witness, scout, field hand, road builder, rock mover, Jeep fixer, supervisor or cheerleader. Or you and I can set back and watch with a cold one. Bring a tow strap in case one of the Jeeps needs pulled out, just kidding Ken. Ken's Jeep pulls Toyotas just fine.

BAJACAT - 3-6-2011 at 06:51 PM

kEN im still working on meeting the group on the 28th to follow you guys to SMM, site. I will let you know ahead of time.. TW are you comming?

Ken Cooke - 3-6-2011 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
kEN im still working on meeting the group on the 28th to follow you guys to SMM, site. I will let you know ahead of time.. TW are you comming?

That will be great, Jose! That morning, we will be driving north from L.A. Bay. We will eat lunch at the loncheria in Cataviña across the street from the La Pinta Hotel. From there, we will air down our tires and disconnect our front swaybars at Rancho Santa Ynez. We plan leaving for the Mission at 1 p.m. on the 28th.

TMW - 3-6-2011 at 08:44 PM

I'll be down on the 26th for the mine run. Jose if you are coming I'll do the SMM run too. Don't know if I'll go to LA Bay or run up to El Marmol and run back into La Olividada and explore the mine area.

BAJACAT - 3-7-2011 at 12:49 PM

Ok sounds good..and I only have plans to go to SMM and then back to San Diego..
@ this point I think I need new tires but don't know.the Run it's going to be on a thursday so I will have to take 2 days off, maybe I will stay a extra day in El Rosario.. maybe we can do a run to las PINTAS...

Ken if I go I will leave the SD area around 5:00 am..on thursday and have lunch with you guys in Catavinä..

ps TW what mine run???:?:

[Edited on 3-7-2011 by BAJACAT]

Ken Cooke - 3-7-2011 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Ken if I go I will leave the SD area around 5:00 am..on thursday and have lunch with you guys in Catavinä..

What is Las Pintas??? :?: Is it a 4WD Trail we could run??

David K - 3-7-2011 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:

What is Las Pintas??? :?: Is it a 4WD Trail we could run??

Just where are you when I do my trip reports Ken???

Here is a web page from a trip a few years ago: http://vivabaja.com/pintas

Here is our last trip to Baja (Sept. 2010) to LAS PINTAS: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47965

Make sure to see Part 2 as well!

This map of the area shows the main road (southern road via Malvar' in and the lesser road to the north. The lesser road, including the run to the top side of Las Pintas is a 4WD track... I used a little low range in there, too.

You can also read about Las Pintas in the BAJABOUND.COM newsletter!

[Edited on 3-8-2011 by David K]

Ken Cooke - 3-7-2011 at 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT maybe we can do a run to las PINTAS...[Edited on 3-7-2011 by BAJACAT]

Jose - Would you be willing to lead our group to Las Pintas??? I have photos from David K, but it would be great to visit with someone who has already been there.

-Ken

BAJACAT - 3-7-2011 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT maybe we can do a run to las PINTAS...[Edited on 3-7-2011 by BAJACAT]

Jose - Would you be willing to lead our group to Las Pintas??? I have photos from David K, but it would be great to visit with someone who has already been there.

-Ken
Ken I have never been inLas Pintas, thats why I wanted to go there, maybe TW knows the way.

Ken Cooke - 3-7-2011 at 10:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-Ken
Ken I have never been inLas Pintas, thats why I wanted to go there, maybe TW knows the way.

We can just study the maps and drive there from Hwy 1.

David K - 3-7-2011 at 11:09 PM

You have me as a guide, on paper... just print out the directions and note your mileages or use a GPS. Remember, all roads in Baja go somewhere... somewhere really cool!

mtgoat666 - 3-8-2011 at 12:18 AM

Quote:
We will eat lunch at the loncheria in Cataviña across the street from the La Pinta Hotel.

not very good food, and i got the runs after eating there.
suggest you pack a lunch or eat at la pinta.

Ken Cooke - 3-8-2011 at 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
We will eat lunch at the loncheria in Cataviña across the street from the La Pinta Hotel.

I don't eat Beef, Pork, Cheese products, and I avoid Chicken unless absolutely necessary. What did you order?

TMW - 3-8-2011 at 09:45 AM

He ate tin cans, probably rusty ones.

TMW - 3-8-2011 at 09:51 AM

I've never been to the site.

Here is Davids directions:

DIRECTIONS
Highway 1, southward from El Rosario 14.6 miles (between Km. 80-81), turn right at the left curve. GPS: 30°01.59', 115°32.05' (Map datum set to 'NAD27 Mexico')

Go 17.4 miles on the good graded dirt road to a single track road going left. If passed, just ahead is a ranch house on the right and there is a second left road that joins the first. Set odometer to '0.0'. GPS: 29°49.64', 115°28.42'.

Pass ranch houses ('Malvar') and make an 'S' turn right, into Arroyo San Fernando. You soon will be reach a (possibly) closed gate at Mile 3.5. Always re-close any gate after you pass through.

Mile 5.2, (GPS: 29°52.53', 115°25.22') turn LEFT off of Arroyo San Fernando road, and follow a small side arroyo. Brush may scratch your vehicle in here.

Mile 5.4, (GPS: 29°52.69', 115°25.26') turn RIGHT, out of small arroyo and cross low divide to small valley.

Mile 7.2 LAS PINTAS parking area. GPS: 29°53.90', 115°24.48', elev. 755'. You are 24.6 miles from Highway 1 and 39.2 miles from El Rosario's Baja Cactus Motel and Pemex gas station, per my odometer.

Trail to the right of the boulders is the best way to the top, then cross over to other side and try the more difficult trail to get back down. Straight into the boulders from the parking area are tunnels, passages, and boulder shelters. ENJOY!

TMW - 3-8-2011 at 09:57 AM

Jose the mine I was thinking of going to is La Olividada past the El Marmol Onxy mine. The road is washed out about a mile or so before it according to ELINVESTIG8R who was there in Oct 2008.

mtgoat666 - 3-8-2011 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

I don't eat Beef, Pork, Cheese products, and I avoid Chicken unless absolutely necessary. What did you order?

a breakfast - don't remember what in particular.

does it matter? i never give a restaurant a second chance to poison me.

i follow to the GWB approach to food poisoning in restaurants, "fool me once, shame on — [pauses] — shame on you. Fool me — [pauses] — You can't get fooled again."

David K - 3-8-2011 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I've never been to the site.

Here is Davids directions:

DIRECTIONS
Highway 1, southward from El Rosario 14.6 miles (between Km. 80-81), turn right at the left curve. GPS: 30°01.59', 115°32.05' (Map datum set to 'NAD27 Mexico')

Go 17.4 miles on the good graded dirt road to a single track road going left. If passed, just ahead is a ranch house on the right and there is a second left road that joins the first. Set odometer to '0.0'. GPS: 29°49.64', 115°28.42'.

Pass ranch houses ('Malvar') and make an 'S' turn right, into Arroyo San Fernando. You soon will be reach a (possibly) closed gate at Mile 3.5. Always re-close any gate after you pass through.

Mile 5.2, (GPS: 29°52.53', 115°25.22') turn LEFT off of Arroyo San Fernando road, and follow a small side arroyo. Brush may scratch your vehicle in here.

Mile 5.4, (GPS: 29°52.69', 115°25.26') turn RIGHT, out of small arroyo and cross low divide to small valley.

Mile 7.2 LAS PINTAS parking area. GPS: 29°53.90', 115°24.48', elev. 755'. You are 24.6 miles from Highway 1 and 39.2 miles from El Rosario's Baja Cactus Motel and Pemex gas station, per my odometer.

Trail to the right of the boulders is the best way to the top, then cross over to other side and try the more difficult trail to get back down. Straight into the boulders from the parking area are tunnels, passages, and boulder shelters. ENJOY!

Here is the larger part of the map with mileages from last Sept.:

Here is what I suggest... allow as much time as possible to explore both the lower and upper Las Pintas site. It is like Tom Sawyers Island at Disneyland with caves, narrow passages, lots of hidden stuff. It was an Indian playground for sure!

Go in the normal or easy way... that is the south road that goes up the wide Arroyo San Fernando valley past 'Malvar' (a couple of abandoned ranch houses and junk cars). The left turn at Mile 5.2 is faint and is the only place you will get some brush contact. 0.2 mile is the right fork to Las Pintas... You will return to this point to drive up to the top of Las Pintas.

When you arrive you will need to figure how to get into the boulder cave, which is right in front of you, but the flash flood of Jan. 2010 changed things and I found a new way in over the boulder on the left. You guys will figure it out. Once inside the big room cave, note all the petros on the walls and cielings... next crawl to one of the narrow passges and find your way up to the waterfall... Lots of fossils in the boulders...

After a hour or two of playing in the lower end (and you can hike up to the top, a trail is on the right side of the boulder field)... you can drive up to the top end where lots more petros await you. We were running out of daylight, so you will see more! The north road back out, from the top is more of a Jeep trail and the only fork (Mile 4.4) is a left... We went right and that goes over to the San Vicente river valley and the wrong way. It is muy dusty in here... as Baja is famous for! Once you are back on the graded Punta San Carlos road it is a fast trip back to El Rosario with many Taco stands, restaurants, and Baja Cactus or Motel Turista for comfortable beds!

David K - 3-8-2011 at 08:28 PM

Ken, I just made 12 satellite image maps of the road to Las Pintas from Hwy. 1 so you can SEE IT before you DRIVE IT! :light:

Do you want them in this thread or in a seperate thread?

Include them here!

Ken Cooke - 3-8-2011 at 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ken, I just made 12 satellite image maps of the road to Las Pintas from Hwy. 1 so you can SEE IT before you DRIVE IT! :light:

Do you want them in this thread or in a seperate thread?

I'd like to see them. This sounds interesting. :bounce: Fire away..

Map and images of road points to Las Pintas

David K - 3-9-2011 at 08:54 AM

Images facing direction of travel:

Leave Hwy. 1... north fork is near Km. 80 at wide clearing and south fork in near Km. 81, on the curve.

Older road coming 14 miles from El Rosario joins here (this offers an alternate route back and is not maintained or totally graded).

Rancho on hill next to road 'Emiliano Zapata' on map.

Just under 2 miles from Emiliano Zapata see road(s) go to the left... these are the alternate route to/ from Las Pintas you may be returning on.

After enterining a cardon cactus area, the Las Pintas road turns left off the main (Punta San Carlos) road. If passed, you will drive by ranch house on right and a second Las Pintas road can be taken... any further you will cross Arroyo San Fernando (turn back).

5.2 miles up Arroyo San Fernando, the Las Pintas road turns left into a side arroyo. Some brush may contact your Jeeps here.

Just 2/10 a mile more and take right fork out of small arroyo.

In 1.8 miles arrive bottom of Las Pintas. Explore! When ready, return to small arroyo and turn right (north) to drive to top of Las Pintas (fun Jeep trail). See pin 1.4 which is top parking area.

1.0 mile up the small arroyo is the fork (right) to Las Pintas top (1.4 miles). Return to this point to leave area... and if desired, take the less used, north road back.

Here is a high view (north at top) to orient yourself to the Las Pintas area. Compare to map.

On the north road heading west, stay straight/left at this fork. We took the right fork for a mile and ended up in Arroyo San Vicente valley heading northeast.

Approx. 3.1 miles from the last fork we turned right for the last 1.8 miles to the San Carlos road (at pin 1.9 or nearby). I don't see the exact road we used last September in these 4-7 year old images.

Enjoy one of Baja's great places!

wessongroup - 3-9-2011 at 09:47 AM

You're getting pretty good with the Google maps... DK.. about the only thing which would improve... a better feed from Google... thanks for all the work...

It gets to be fun using that Google earth.. an amazing feat of technology... that is for free... plus some of the add on stuff one can down load too..

David K - 3-9-2011 at 10:00 AM

Thanks... flying over is fun, but what really rocks is to get the GPS from your mouse pointer, then going in person to see what it looks (and feels) like!

wessongroup - 3-9-2011 at 10:03 AM

Ditto's...

Ken Cooke - 3-9-2011 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
You're getting pretty good with the Google maps... DK..

I love it. Thanks again, David!

David K - 3-9-2011 at 06:58 PM

Have fun Ken!

bajalou - 4-16-2011 at 01:38 PM

What's you're latest schedule Ken?

Wouldn't mind meeting up with you're group again.

Ken Cooke - 4-16-2011 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
What's you're latest schedule Ken?

Wouldn't mind meeting up with you're group again.

Thanks, Lou! I believe that we will drive into S.F. at approximately 6 p.m. on the 23rd. We would be happy to grab a bite to eat before heading south to Percebu.

bajalou - 4-16-2011 at 04:39 PM

Let me know where and I'll see you then----

BajaBlanca - 4-16-2011 at 05:55 PM

If I can convince Les, can we come too ????? Meet up at Catavina or across the street for lunch on the 28th April, right ??

Ken Cooke - 4-16-2011 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
If I can convince Les, can we come too ????? Meet up at Catavina or across the street for lunch on the 28th April, right ??

I'm having 2nd thoughts about the "Loncheria" in Cataviña.. Something Mtn. Goat said, and I remember there was no running water anywhere to be found. Yech!:o

David K - 4-17-2011 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I'm having 2nd thoughts about the "Loncheria" in Cataviña.. Something Mtn. Goat said, and I remember there was no running water anywhere to be found. Yech!:o

Get tacos at Rancho Santa Ynez!

BajaBlanca - 4-17-2011 at 11:30 AM

Let's eat at Catavina ...... meaning at the la pinta hotel. where is the rancho you guys mention as an alternative place to eat ??

[Edited on 4-18-2011 by BajaBlanca]

Ken Cooke - 4-17-2011 at 02:25 PM

Quote:

They make good food? :?:

David K - 4-17-2011 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:

They make good food? :?:

They have been feeding Baja travelers long before Highway One was even dreamed about!

I guess my numerous photos and posts of us eating there have escaped your eyes...?

Here's a few... also a nice camping area, running water for toilets and showers, nice bunk rooms for over nighting... Hosts are Oscar and Matilda...

Don't you check in with them before you do a run into Santa Maria? Burritos are yummy before that drive!

1982:

1999:

2001:

The Viva Baja Van and P.O.T. (Poor Old Truck) gang at Rancho Santa Ynez, for lunch. Seated: Sarah, Miguelito, Chris, Mary Ann, Travelpearl, Desert Rat. Standing: David Eidell, El Camote, Mike Humfreville. July 2, 2001

2003:

Oscar is showing us a trick he taught 'Rayo' ('Lightning').

2007:

Blanche and Elizabeth chat with ranch managers Matilda ad Oscar. Good tacos and cold drinks can be ordered here before the mission voyage begins.

Santa Ynez (Santa Ines) is a mile south of Cataviña and a mile off the highway. Here find meals, rooms, and camping.

2010:

(last photo from BajaTripper seems to be showing me telling the group about how steep the Widowmaker grade is! LOL )

[Edited on 4-18-2011 by David K]

Ken Cooke - 4-17-2011 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Don't you check in with them before you do a run into Santa Maria? Burritos are yummy before that drive!

I camped at Rancho Santa Inez once. :saint:

I will consider their restaurant this year. :yes:

In 2006 when I was first figuring out this whole Baja Grande event with the help of Chris (CG) Glass and Brad/Rhoda Green, we made friends with Ralph and Patty Shoemaker. He was such a big help with helping us find the route back into the hills. I don't get lost now (knock on wood).

But, I forget almost everything that I read, so I must review what I have read because details become foggy after 3+ years. I didn't know you visited Rancho Santa Inez in the past. Gotta read that VivaBaja page more often! :yes:

David K - 4-17-2011 at 10:49 PM

Well, sure... you pretty much stop at Santa Ynez before the 3 hour drive to Santa Maria... Ralph lives off the arroyo, but I have yet to meet him.

Marv Patchen's cabin is east of the runway... and he and wife Aletha came to my Viva Baja events and Elizabeth and I spent the weekend at their Canebrake home in the desert... http://vivabaja.com/patchen I learned that Marv has passed away... sad to see the greats of Baja leave us!

BajaBlanca - 4-18-2011 at 11:13 AM

entertaining reading about the Patchens. Does she still live there ?

Ken Cooke - 4-18-2011 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
http://vivabaja.com/patchen I learned that Marv has passed away... sad to see the greats of Baja leave us!

This is terrible news about Marv passing away. He signed my copy of Baja Adventures - I told him it was my favorite Baja book. :(

David K - 4-18-2011 at 05:29 PM

Yes, Marv and Aletha were great sports always enjoyed talking with me and attending my Viva Baja parties... We had a fun weekend at their Canebrake desert house... see the photos in the link.

Baja Blanca, I don't think Aletha is doing very well, from what I heard... I believe she is in an assisted living place... I imagine they have family members who will do something with the Santa Ynez cabin... not sure if it is still available to traveles as an overnight cabin anymore (the subject of the book, 'Baja Outpost')... If you look at the Baja Almanac, you will see 'Casa Patchen' shown!

Back on topic

Ken Cooke - 4-18-2011 at 09:23 PM

The 2nd Gerry Can mount I installed on this Garvin Wilderness Rack broke on this particular day in Joshua Tree last year. I had an offer today from a friend to help me repair it in his shop. This is great news, because otherwise, we would have to squeeze this inside of the Jeep which isn't always an easy thing to do.

KC Daylighter fuse work will occur later in the week (Thursday?). :bounce:

David K - 4-18-2011 at 09:35 PM

Very cool... but make sure the Coco's Corner sticker can still be seen!:light:;D:cool:

Ken Cooke - 4-19-2011 at 09:07 PM

I can't believe receiving 3 cancellations in the past 3 days. Regardless, Leidys is excited about the trip, and I'm 100% ready for the trip as well. Two other vehicles (and their drivers) reserved a motel room at Baja Cactus, so I know they're likely to attend.

This is getting interesting...

David K - 4-19-2011 at 09:32 PM

Those that don't go loose! Even if it is just you and Leidys, have a great time.. see you at El Volcan maybe!??

Ken Cooke - 4-19-2011 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
Those that don't go loose! Even if it is just you and Leidys, have a great time.. see you at El Volcan maybe!??

Nope. We're going to stick to our plans. I've never been to El Volcan, don't know what to expect, etc. Logistics...

David K - 4-19-2011 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Nope. We're going to stick to our plans. I've never been to El Volcan, don't know what to expect, etc. Logistics...

I have only described in infinite detail a million times, Ken. Even if you are going to the same place, things change since the last trip... LOOK HERE: http://vivabaja.com/marmol

Ken Cooke - 4-20-2011 at 05:54 AM

Cool!

wessongroup - 4-20-2011 at 06:33 AM

Have a great time, and gets some miles on that "vehicle" you have been working on... and have a safe trip

Will be looking forward for the "pic's"...

BajaBlanca - 4-20-2011 at 07:30 PM

Ken, the plan is still for you all to meet at Catavina on the 28th (Thurs) and eat a meal there or near there and then head to the paintings? From the paintings, would you head back to highway 1 or continue on to another location ??

Ken Cooke - 4-20-2011 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Ken, the plan is still for you all to meet at Catavina on the 28th (Thurs) and eat a meal there or near there and then head to the paintings? From the paintings, would you head back to highway 1 or continue on to another location ??

No se. I've had 80% of the participants cancel, and I don't know what the last two vehicles want to do. At this point, I am not sure of the guys will be up for the entire run. Sadly, it is looking like Baja Grande isn't going to happen.

bajalou - 4-20-2011 at 08:33 PM

Still hoping to see you along the way Ken.

David K - 4-20-2011 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:

No se. I've had 80% of the participants cancel, and I don't know what the last two vehicles want to do. At this point, I am not sure of the guys will be up for the entire run. Sadly, it is looking like Baja Grande isn't going to happen.

If it is just you and Leidys, it will still be your Baja Grande, Ken!

Ken Cooke - 4-20-2011 at 08:48 PM

Quote:

Lou,
Why don't we plan to meet up at 9 a.m. on Monday morning - Apr. 25th at the Glorieta with the new(er) Pemex station in downtown San Felipe. I'll be on CB Channel 8. If the guys bail, we will just visit San Felipe and Gonzaga Bay - maybe, LA Bay.

I can't see myself doing Mission Impossible alone. In 2008, I got stuck in the swamp and had to be pulled out since I was in 2WD and with manual transmission, I could not get friction to change gears.

Traveling a trail like Mission Impossible alone isn't a good plan. :!:

I can't make plans that far out with everything crumbling around me at this point.

[Edited on 4-21-2011 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke - 4-20-2011 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If it is just you and Leidys, it will still be your Baja Grande, Ken!

I agree, David. But, we won't be running any gnarly off-road trails, either. And, that's what I wanted to do on this trip.

Baja Blanca - I can't plan where we will be on Thursday - Apr. 28th. We don't have cell service in Mexico and I don't know what the other two drivers will want to do, or even if they will go. In San Quintin in 2008, I got stopped by some crooked Federales who wanted to check out my Jeep. So, I feel funny traveling alone up Hwy 1 (with Leidys).

bajalou - 4-20-2011 at 09:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Lou,
Why don't we plan to meet up at 9 a.m. on Monday morning - Apr. 25th at the Glorieta with the new(er) Pemex station in downtown San Felipe. I'll be on CB Channel 8. If the guys bail, we will just visit San Felipe and Gonzaga Bay - maybe, LA Bay.

Monday at 9a - got it. No CB - well, maybe I can find a old one.

See you then.

Ken Cooke - 4-20-2011 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lou,

Monday at 9a - got it. No CB - well, maybe I can find a old one.

See you then.

Don't worry about the CB. Just look for Leidys and I in the silver Jeep. We'll see you then!:bounce:

Ken Cooke - 4-21-2011 at 06:13 AM

Baja Grande will go on - 3 Jeeps strong!

I will have more details tomorrow...:bounce:

David K - 4-21-2011 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:

... we will just visit San Felipe and Gonzaga Bay - maybe, LA Bay.

I can't see myself doing Mission Impossible alone. In 2008, I got stuck in the swamp and had to be pulled out since I was in 2WD and with manual transmission, I could not get friction to change gears.

Traveling a trail like Mission Impossible alone isn't a good plan. :!: ...

It is a good idea to use 4WD HI whenever you are off pavement, or at least off graded roads... The 4WD parts get lubrictaed and the trail is less damaged (less spinning of tires). In fact, no spinning (limited slip/ lockers) is ideal for traction. On graded roads, the vehicle is more under control when in 4WD at speed... much the way AWD sports cars grip the road better.

It is 2WD vehicles on dirt roads that do so much damage... spinning tires that seek traction, making ruts, which increase erosion of roadbeds.

4WD, use it or lose it!!!:light::cool:

David K - 4-21-2011 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Baja Grande will go on - 3 Jeeps strong!

I will have more details tomorrow...:bounce:

GOOD NEWS! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Ken Cooke - 4-21-2011 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David KIt is 2WD vehicles on dirt roads that do so much damage... spinning tires that seek traction, making ruts, which increase erosion of roadbeds.

4WD, use it or lose it!!!:light::cool:

The Jeep Rubicon has 4:1 low-range which slows you way down if not in 4Hi. I like to drive in 2WD on flat/level sections of trail, but that first drop into pond scum water is what did me in. I have learned my lesson 110%!

Ken Cooke - 4-21-2011 at 07:13 PM

On Friday morning our group of 3 Jeeps will leave the Mission enroute to meeting Les and Blanca and then on to El Marmol and possibly El Volcan (time permitting).

I told Leidys that we would be off of the road before dark each day.:!:

David K - 4-22-2011 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
On Friday morning our group of 3 Jeeps will leave the Mission enroute to meeting Les and Blanca and then on to El Marmol and possibly El Volcan (time permitting).

I told Leidys that we would be off of the road before dark each day.:!:

Get an early start at the mission... 3 hours drive out to Santa Ynez/ Cataviña... then a 20 mile drive on Hwy. 1 and a 9 mile drive on a flat graded road to El Marmol should take you no more than an hour. It is only 4 miles from the El Marmol schoolhouse to Arroyo el Volcan (there is a fork in the road 2 miles from the schoolhouse, turn RIGHT).

The lowest point in the road is the arroyo crossing. To the right (upstream/ south) is the geyser... you may be able to drive half of the 0.4 mile distance to it... in the arroyo.

To the left is where we will be heading Saturday to hike to the Lost Mission site... maybe drive if we can? I am going to guess we will be camping down that way, in the arroyo... It is up to TW or whoever gets there first to find us a spot.

My passenger (you have met him at Viva Baja Cactus) and I might be getting there by 4 pm Friday... just a guess.
BajaCat (Jose) may be caravanning in his Dodge with us.

Ken Cooke - 4-22-2011 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Get an early start at the mission... 3 hours drive out to Santa Ynez/ Cataviña... then a 20 mile drive on Hwy. 1 and a 9 mile drive on a flat graded road to El Marmol should take you no more than an hour. It is only 4 miles from the El Marmol schoolhouse to Arroyo el Volcan (there is a fork in the road 2 miles from the schoolhouse, turn RIGHT).

The lowest point in the road is the arroyo crossing. To the right (upstream/ south) is the geyser... you may be able to drive half of the 0.4 mile distance to it... in the arroyo.

To the left is where we will be heading Saturday to hike to the Lost Mission site... maybe drive if we can? I am going to guess we will be camping down that way, in the arroyo... It is up to TW or whoever gets there first to find us a spot.

My passenger (you have met him at Viva Baja Cactus) and I might be getting there by 4 pm Friday... just a guess.
BajaCat (Jose) may be caravanning in his Dodge with us.

David,

I printed directions from your article on BajaBound.com regarding El Marmol/El Volcan. We will be there until late afternoon and continue onwards to Baja Cactus where we will stay Friday night. Hopefully, we will see you in the area!

-Ken

David K - 4-22-2011 at 10:56 AM

So far, you will... I got a text from my passenger saying he is looking forward to it. It is a beautiful drive from El Marmol down to El Volcan... lots of elephant trees... rock formations and pools of water towards the geyser from the road crossing of Arroyo el Volcan.

fatoldcapt - 4-22-2011 at 11:18 AM

Ken: Let me make this as clear as I can. Jerry and I are up for anything you have planned. Any changes you want to make. Any destinations you want to add. and we are set up to tent camp where ever we end up. So don't hold back. My little jeep might not keep up with your tricked out rig. But I've got a winch and plenty of straps. I had to re-build my rear end for this trip. The previous lunch box locker desentigrated. I now have a new Trac-Lok limitted slip in the rear. Sorry but I'm still open in the front. My buddy Jerry has locker in his Sahara. So.... We should have a great time. I hope we meet up with your old buddies on the trail.
See you Tomorrow!
Aaron

David K - 4-22-2011 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fatoldcapt
Ken: Let me make this as clear as I can. Jerry and I are up for anything you have planned. Any changes you want to make. Any destinations you want to add. and we are set up to tent camp where ever we end up. So don't hold back. My little jeep might not keep up with your tricked out rig. But I've got a winch and plenty of straps. I had to re-build my rear end for this trip. The previous lunch box locker desentigrated. I now have a new Trac-Lok limitted slip in the rear. Sorry but I'm still open in the front. My buddy Jerry has locker in his Sahara. So.... We should have a great time. I hope we meet up with your old buddies on the trail.
See you Tomorrow!
Aaron

Looking forward to meeting you Aaron! Anybody who is brave enough to follow Ken.... is Baja ready for anything!

See a Wrangler go to Santa Maria with 2 Tacomas in 2003, and he said he didn't need to use his locker: http://vivabaja.com/403

The Widowmaker!

[Edited on 4-22-2011 by David K]

fatoldcapt - 4-22-2011 at 02:52 PM

I've read all the posts at your web page. You look so young to have traveled so much. I'm a San Diego native. Grew up in El Cajon. Retired for 5 years now. Jerry got me going down to Bay of LA fishing. I Love Baja!!! I look forward to seeing more of it. You going to produce any more Baja Decals again?
Aaron

Ken Cooke - 4-22-2011 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fatoldcapt
I've read all the posts at your web page. You look so young to have traveled so much. I'm a San Diego native. Grew up in El Cajon. Retired for 5 years now. Jerry got me going down to Bay of LA fishing. I Love Baja!!! I look forward to seeing more of it. You going to produce any more Baja Decals again?
Aaron

Aaron,

I would give you my Viva Baja! sticker, but I don't know where the Mrs. moved them to. :?:

David is the most knowledgeable member of the Baja Nomad board, and is the most connected person I have seen in regards to people who have published writings about the Baja Peninsula...in my opinion.

bajalou - 4-22-2011 at 05:42 PM

I'll look and see if I have another sticker.

Ken Cooke - 4-22-2011 at 06:13 PM

My "Baja Time" Mexray sticker is now worn out. I have a nice, new BajaNomad.com sticker to go in its' place!

fatoldcapt - 4-22-2011 at 07:27 PM

I bought a "Got Baja?" decal and have it proudly displayed on my rear window. Also have one of the old style Mama Espenosa Baja 1000 decal. The new ones suck. Who wants a Lobster on their window?
Aaron:biggrin:

David K - 4-22-2011 at 10:14 PM

Wow sounds like you guys have more 'got baja?' stickers than me??!! (I am all out)

Lou... did I give you a bunch when we met at Parral Canyon in 2004? :cool:

...rummaging through my "classics"

Ken Cooke - 4-22-2011 at 10:49 PM

I have two "Viva Baja!" stickers (in new condition) AND a "Baja Expo" sticker! I'm saving one of each.

Also, I have some Rockodile stickers from the late 90s - also in brand-new condition. :bounce:

Ken Cooke - 4-23-2011 at 06:31 AM

Planning and coordinating accomplished. This is where the rubber hits the road, as they say.:light:

...now comes the fun part!:bounce:

TMW - 4-24-2011 at 11:02 AM

Ken just remember if your schedule changes I'll be at the El Volcan wash Thursday evening and will use Friday to explore the area along the road to the mine and see if we can fix the washout. I've never been to the mine. It would be interesting to see how far your Jeeps can get down the El Volcan wash crawling over rocks.

bajalou - 4-24-2011 at 12:07 PM

I think he's on the road, as we say. I'm having breakfast with him tomorrow (Mon) and will try to point him over that way.

BajaBlanca - 4-24-2011 at 03:08 PM

Baja Lou - PLEASE be sure to tell the group that Les and I will NOT be making it !!! we are busy busy busy ..... but we wish them all a grand trip !!

we were going to meet them at Catavina ... we will NOT be there :(

muchas gracias

bajalou - 4-24-2011 at 06:50 PM

Yes, I planned on passing the word about you also Blanca.

Next time!!!

TMW - 4-25-2011 at 09:37 AM

Is Ken now down to two Jeeps on this trip? He should forget LA Bay and come on up to El Volcan to be with us for a sing along around the campfire, I know Blue Moon (my version).

BajaBlanca - 4-25-2011 at 03:06 PM

thank you bajaLou !!! love how this board works so well :yes:

bajalou - 4-25-2011 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Is Ken now down to two Jeeps on this trip? He should forget LA Bay and come on up to El Volcan to be with us for a sing along around the campfire, I know Blue Moon (my version).

Total of 3 - Ken and two others.

Hard to get him to change to a unknown. :light:

Ken Cooke - 5-1-2011 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Ken just remember if your schedule changes I'll be at the El Volcan wash Thursday evening and will use Friday to explore the area along the road to the mine and see if we can fix the washout. I've never been to the mine. It would be interesting to see how far your Jeeps can get down the El Volcan wash crawling over rocks.

Sorry, TW - but we couldn't make it. On Thursday afternoon - roughly 3/4 of the way towards the Mission (Santa Maria de Los Angeles), one of the Jeeps developed a fuel pump problem and we had to turn back.

The remaining two Jeeps had to pull the Sahara Jeep back out of the trail - up the Widowmaker, and to level ground. From there, it took fast work to get this Jeep back to El Rosario before nightfall.

By the time Leidys and I had reached El Rosario, we had traveled 13 hours total - from BOLA to El Rosario with a side trip to the swamp outside of Mission Santa Maria. Everyone was exhausted - I couldn't see setting up camp in the backcountry after sweating through a tough day on the trail and wanting to seek accomodations for the night.

On a lighter note, I spotted David K and Baja Cat in Colonet at 1 p.m. on Hwy 1 as they led 20 motocross racers towards El Rosario. I believe they saw my Jeep, since I drove head-on into David K's lane causing him to swerve due to a roadkill dog that I tried to avoid in my lane!

I wish that I could have made the trip, but we rock crawled for 7 straight hours, and with my Jeep's bad Water Pump, I knew it would be a bad idea to seek more adventure.