BajaNomad

Memorial Day 2013: Shell Island (Between San Felipe and Puertecitos)

David K - 5-27-2013 at 11:37 PM

With only a couple exceptions, we typically go to Shell Island over Memorial Day weekend. The weather is great, the sea water is not as warm as we like best, but okay for short swims, and we mostly need to get away from civilization by the time late May rolls around.

We had not planned to go until Friday noon when Baja Angel (my wife and best friend) said she needs a Baja beach fix!

We left home at 5:30am Saturday, stopped for breakfast along the way and arrived in San Felipe a little after 11 am... topped the gas tank, bought a case of Tecate Light and a few sodas and headed first for Baja Rob's in Bahia Santa Maria. A lot of activities were happening and despite his strongest efforts to have us stay in his great guest room (which we have many times) and join in the fiestas, we had to decline as peace and quiet is what Baja Angel really needed, and camping on Shell Island nearly always provides that tranquility.

The highest tide of the month was that day (Saturday, May 25) at 2:40pm and a whopping 19.7 feet... Anything over 18.5 feet surrounds Shell Island with sea water (why I call it an 'Island' and not just a 'Beach'... as shown on many maps, too:

There is no 'Castañeda', but Rancho Percebu (formerly Laguna Percebu) is at the end of that road going to the beach opposite the north tip of Shell Island.

So, after visiting with Rob for a while, we headed back north to the access road to the island... and as we neared the beach, the tide already had flooded the access... This is where 4WD, good tires, and Toyota's Active Traction Control makes getting to tough places less stressful than otherwise!

One patch of gooey mud and the Tacoma goes sideways briefly, but counter-steering put us back on course and soon we were out of the mud and onto the sand. I got as far as the water's edge before I had to deflate the tires for floatation. Even super traction 4WD is no match for the bottomless sand/shell mix of this beach. Dropping the pressure to 18 psi is enough for the brand of tires I have on the truck (Hankook Dynapro ATM)... some other brands require less pressure to keep from digging into the sand.

While I let the air out, Baja Angel takes some photos...

There is a dead porpoise on the beach nearby... and later we would find 5 dead porpoises along the 4.5 mile long barrier island beach, evenly separated. It is a sad sight and had us wonder if it was an act of nature or commercial fishing that caused this. I have never seen more than one dead whale or porpoise in a single trip here, since 1978.

Well the tide was already so high, reaching the brush of the dunes, we could not get to our typical camp site. So, we just parked where we could get and waited for the tide to go back down... We went for a swim, had some cold beer, and just relaxed... for about 3 hours...

East Side of the island, looking south towards Bahia Santa Maria.

West Side of the island, looking north towards Percebu.

My truck just inches above sea level! (I have been in the same place over the past 35 years... and it still is 'above sea level' :light: )

The Baja Feeling! :cool:

Stay Tuned for more to come!

[Edited on 6-16-2013 by David K]

Part 2: Getting to our camp on the island

David K - 5-28-2013 at 08:42 AM

The tide turns around quickly and the steep beach is exposed after a couple of hours... We leave the point where the dunes and high tide had stopped us and head a bit further north.

We know that Graham, Desert Rat, and one other amigo is trying to reach the top of Diablo Mountain at this moment... Here it is just after sunset on Saturday:

The moon is next to make an appearance, and at one day after full, it is still big in the sky...

Sunday Morning...

I get up and take a walk out onto the sand bars being it is low tide....

A happily mixed-marriage couple?

Above: it isn't hard to walk a long ways into the ocean, when the tide is low!

Below: One gull has a fish, and he doesn't share!

It's a LONG ways the sea goes out... here's looking back to camp:

A few rocks are north of our camp and it makes a home for millions of small hermit crabs and snails...

Time to head back, make some coffee, and enjoy breakfast with my wife...

STAY TUNED for MORE! :cool:

[Edited on 5-28-2013 by David K]

Ateo - 5-28-2013 at 09:04 AM

Keep it coming DK......Thanks.

David K - 5-28-2013 at 09:06 AM

Hi Jon, thank you... I am off to Encinitas for an appointment but will continue later!

monoloco - 5-28-2013 at 09:17 AM

Looks just like your last trip there.:lol:

BajaBlanca - 5-28-2013 at 10:38 AM

The peace that is conveyed by your photos is just wonderful. Baja angel sure must be rested after that great escape!

sancho - 5-28-2013 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

My truck just inches above sea level! (I have been in the same place over the past 35 years... and it still is 'above sea level'
The Baja Feeling!

[Edited on 5-28-2013 by David K]

I've read your posts/positions long enough to know what
that refers to, looks like you have the newer Coleman
Instatent, how's that working out? The Baja Feeling.
reminds me of the B Hunter book of the same

mtgoat666 - 5-28-2013 at 11:53 AM

Quote:

My truck just inches above sea level! (I have been in the same place over the past 35 years... and it still is 'above sea level'
The Baja Feeling!

glad to hear!

fyi, in past 35 years the global average sea level rise has been about about 3 inches,... perhaps not very noticeable in northern SOC where tidal range is 15 to 20 feet,...

of course, the barrier island is dynamic geologic environment, with howling winds (typical for the area) and storm waves constantly eroding and depositing sediment,... so perhaps not easy to visually recognize SL rise w/o some detailed elevation survey data,... just saying!

glad you enjoyed your trip!

Bob H - 5-28-2013 at 12:04 PM

Wonderful, relaxing, trip report David!! Did you see any other people on the island while you were there?

David K - 5-28-2013 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Wonderful, relaxing, trip report David!! Did you see any other people on the island while you were there?

Nobody camping on the island... there is a fishing camp just south of that useless concrete bridge that has the same truck parked in front that pulled Art's 4WD motorhome out of the mud in July 2011.

On Sunday, Baja Nomad 'viabaja' (Chris) of http://viabaja.com walked down from Percebu at low tide to see if it was me... We chatted for a bit before he and his two silver labs had to beat the incoming high tide to get back across to Percebu. Later, someone kayaked across the Estero Percebu (Laguna Percebu) to get to Shell Island at high tide, and tried fishing for a few minutes.

As viabaja said, "David K is the only I know crazy enough to drive through the mud and sea water to go camp on the island!" :lol::lol::lol:

David K - 5-28-2013 at 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

The Baja Feeling!

glad to hear!

fyi, in past 35 years the global average sea level rise has been about about 3 inches,... perhaps not very noticeable in northern SOC where tidal range is 15 to 20 feet,...

of course, the barrier island is dynamic geologic environment, with howling winds (typical for the area) and storm waves constantly eroding and depositing sediment,... so perhaps not easy to visually recognize SL rise w/o some detailed elevation survey data,... just saying!

glad you enjoyed your trip!

Yes, indeed... 3" is possible, but the hard pan salt flats also don't stay under water any longer than before... but again, it's 3" and not the end of the world (just yet) :light:

We enjoyed it as always, and thank you!

David K - 5-28-2013 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:

The Baja Feeling!

I've read your posts/positions long enough to know what
that refers to, looks like you have the newer Coleman
Instatent, how's that working out? The Baja Feeling.
reminds me of the B Hunter book of the same

That is the best tent we have ever had... fast and easy one man operation and up in less than a minute (or close)! It is big, has close-able windows, you can stand up in it and it is light and compact.

The tent was first discussed after our first time out with it last July. I think Bob H found some You Tube links showing how easy it is to put up and take down.

Our new sun canopy also is put up for the first time and it is big, and easy to do as well... by myself. Our previous tent and sun canopy were both destroyed on Shell Island in the same hurricane force wind that sunk the Eric in July, 2011.

David K - 5-28-2013 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
The peace that is conveyed by your photos is just wonderful. Baja angel sure must be rested after that great escape!

It was worth the drive and cost to give my bride a quiet weekend on the beach.

I came home to a couple new job calls, so going to Baja has financial rewards!

Thanks Blanca!

Vince - 5-28-2013 at 04:55 PM

Loved your photos, thanks, David.

Part 3: Sunday is glorious

David K - 5-28-2013 at 05:20 PM

Before Baja Angel is out of the tent, I have most of the sun canopy set up... she does help however, and it really is easier with two.

At low tide, we take a drive to survey the island and see what changes can be noticed. Looking for some extra pretty shells is fun too...

I know how many of you love seeing my Tacoma, so in order to please everyone... (lol):

Happy Nomads in Baja:

Lot's of these Desert Iguanas (?) on Shell Island.

They curl their tail to mimic a scorpion... I took some photos of one in 2011...

As I mentioned earlier, along the 4.5 mile long island, we saw 5 dead porpoises, all about the same size except for one that was smaller.

Pelicans fly between 20-25 mph... I clocked them!

Rancho Percebu (Laguna Percebu) was the busiest I have seen in years!

Back to camp...

This tern kept a close watch on us.

Tide was nearly as high Sunday as it was on Saturday... 19.5 ft.

Diablo Mountain is in the distance.

Shell Island... the barrier island beach that separates the Gulf of California from Estero Percebu (Laguna Percebu).

Percebu in distance.

End of Saturday's report...

Udo - 5-28-2013 at 05:37 PM

Mil Gracias for the terrific photos, DK!

Really graphically displays the shell island.

The high tide is graphically well displayed, amigo!

Mexitron - 5-28-2013 at 05:50 PM

Looks like a fun time!

Part 4 of 4: Memorial Day Monday... going home!

David K - 5-28-2013 at 06:21 PM

We tear down camp and have the truck packed up before 8:30 (a record)... thanks to the easy up and down tent and Baja Angel's assistance!

There is more sea water and mud to cross than there was Saturday... but the Tacoma has no issues at all (using low range 4WD and A-TRAC)...

Once out of the mud, I park on a low, blow-sand dune at the edge of the salt/mud flats to air back up the tires... from 18 psi to 34 psi takes 5 minutes per tire...

View towards Shell Island, across the sea mud field that goes underwater at highest tides, making the beach a literal island:

View south towards Bahia Santa Maria (3 miles away):

View north towards Rancho Percebu (also 3 miles away):

View west towards Hwy. 5 (2 miles away):

Back in San Felipe we go to our usual car wash shop, along the main road north, before reaching the traffic circle... Good news is he can get to work on it right away. It is next door to a carnitas cafe, but we want healthy food and a fruit salad vendor is new and across the intersection! We each have a large fruit salad ($70 pesos) and it is great, with mango, papaya, strawberry, pineapple, orange and kiwi chunks.

The truck is clean of all the mud (150 pesos + 20 peso tip) and we top the fuel tank in town ($11.05 pesos/liter or $3.64 dollars/gallon) and are headed north from San Felipe at 10:30 Monday morning.

The big surprise is no inspection at the checkpoint, 31 miles north of town (at the Hwy. 3 junction to Ensenada). There are no detours or any construction on Hwy. 5 back to Mexicali.

110 miles north of San Felipe, we take the toll highway west to go to Tecate... As there is no direct ramp from northbound 5 to westbound 2-D, you must go under the toll road and make a U-Turn to head back south to get onto it. The U-Turn opening has been moved further north than it was previous...

The toll gate for the first section of Hwy. 2-D (also known as the Libramiento de Mexicali) is very near Hwy. 5 and costs 63 pesos. It is only a 2 lane road, but is fast and avoids all of Mexicali city traffic.

The military checkpoint at the base of the grade up to La Rumorosa also waved us through. The toll gate at the top of the grade was $21 pesos.

The final toll gate is at El Hongo and was $60 pesos or $5 dollars.

In Tecate about 2 pm (190 some miles from San Felipe), we topped the gas tank. Magna was $11.36 pesos/liter and the dollar exchange was 11.80 pesos/dollar making regular fuel $3.64 dollars per gallon.

We arrived in the border line at 2:18 pm Monday... very near the top of the hill and we were pleasantly surprised we beat a lot of the Memorial Day traffic (if there was any). We arrived at the gate in 1 hour and 7 minutes. The gaurd asked lots of questions about things we weren't supposed to have and then asked where we were... he didn't know where San Felipe was and then asked if that was where "all the gringos are"... I was never asked such a thing and then he asked if it was like Mulege or Loreto being mostly "gringos" there...!??

I told him while San Felipe may have a large retired American population neither it nor Loreto or Mulege were mostly "gringo" towns... Baja Angel and I were really startled at the bigoted-like questions he kept throwing at me. I assured him, all the towns in Baja were "mostly Mexican" and Loreto and Mulege have just small American populations with San Felipe perhaps more...

Then the guy with a dog came to the truck... and I was asked if I had any people, dogs, or drugs... the guy with the dog walked to the back of my truck, passenger side and the dog went ballistic, jumping up on the side of my truck and we would soon realize... was trying to get to some dogs in the back of a truck in the lane next to mine!

So, it was a poorly trained dog upset at other dogs that freaked me out wondering if some drugs were planted in my truck, at the car wash!! Guess what? The guy sent me to Secondary, anyway! LOL

I guess after so many easy crossings, it was my number... and we waited about 20 minutes for someone in Secondary to take a quick look in my ice chest and a couple of camping boxes before sending us on our way.

As with so many other Baja trips, the only bad part is coming home and the border crossing... the wait and weird questions, and dog scratching the side of my truck. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 6-16-2013 by David K]

ncampion - 5-28-2013 at 07:28 PM

Sounds like another great weekend to Baja. I remember how my wife and I used to look forward to our "Baja Fixes" before we were able to retire and live there. We travel back to the US 3 - 4 times a year and always enjoy the trip except for the border corssing. Hang in there

Ken Bondy - 5-28-2013 at 08:15 PM

Great, great stuff DK, thanks so much. ++Ken++

Bajaboy - 5-28-2013 at 08:40 PM

Good report David. We crossed at Mexicali today about 2pm with an hour wait. Funny, guy approaches our vehicle and asks if we have two kids inside...guess they have us pegged in the database.

Glad the economy is treating you well. I'm sure you're enjoying the Change.

DocRey - 5-28-2013 at 09:19 PM

Thanks David. Nice pictures & narrative. I spent my weekend out in the So-Cal High Desert with desert rats. I was planting "The Baja" seeds every chance I got. Decent time, but no ocean/sea in sight. Bunch of pathetic scare-ty-cats. They particularly didn't like the fact that they couldn't bring their guns & ammo down.:lol:

JohnK - 5-29-2013 at 07:17 AM

Great report, David. I've circled another spot on page 4 of the Baja Almanac map book. Thanks.

David K - 5-29-2013 at 07:39 AM

It's the closest thing to what camping in Baja has been for my family, going back almost 50 years... No services, you bring what you need, you have a vehicle that can get you there and back, and you enjoy nature, peace, relaxation, a real vacation away from civilization.

desertcpl - 5-29-2013 at 07:44 AM

David:
question , from the highway how to you get on shell island

David K - 5-29-2013 at 07:59 AM

Km. 26 is the direct access road. There is a short, cross cut road from Km. 25, but 26 is the one we use. When you reach the mud flats, a once elevated road causeway went across the flats to the beach, with a concrete bridge at the far end... made in 1984/5.

The road has since mostly melted back down, leaving the concrete bridge high and useless. You can either drive in along or on top of the remaining causeway or take the diagonal road that heads for the beach a bit south where the fishing camp is located (how we went in and out this trip).

While the fish camp access is lower and has more water on the road tracks, it is less deep mud holes I think. Once on the island, drop your air pressure for deep sand and you have 1.5 miles of island to the south or 3 miles of island to the north to explore, camp, or just go for the day.

Photos from July 2011:

The fisherman pulled Art's 4WD motorhome back out of the mud flats, stuck near the bridge... It was just too massive and tires not aggressive enough to pull through the slippery slime.

desertcpl - 5-29-2013 at 08:20 AM

thanks

hayb - 5-29-2013 at 10:08 AM

David your trip report makes it look like a paradise! I hope it stays that way. Thanks for the update of road conditions and places in town for healthy snacks. Any wind storms to deal with during your visit? Was it cold enough for campfire at night? After countless (ezup’s, quick shade’s and Coleman’s) casualties over the years, we have learned to just take the cover off during wind storms. We will be there in couple of weeks with our group for six days, our kids are talking about it every night at dinner. Last year’s trip did notice lots of plastic trash on the beach. We picked up three large trash bag full. We used DUMPO just west of Laguna Percebu Bar. If the restaurant is open it’s a good place to pump up tires and get some tacos and give some to local business. Thanks for a great trip report.

Bajaboy - 5-29-2013 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hayb
David your trip report makes it look like a paradise! I hope it stays that way. Thanks for the update of road conditions and places in town for healthy snacks. Any wind storms to deal with during your visit? Was it cold enough for campfire at night? After countless (ezup’s, quick shade’s and Coleman’s) casualties over the years, we have learned to just take the cover off during wind storms. We will be there in couple of weeks with our group for six days, our kids are talking about it every night at dinner. Last year’s trip did notice lots of plastic trash on the beach. We picked up three large trash bag full. We used DUMPO just west of Laguna Percebu Bar. If the restaurant is open it’s a good place to pump up tires and get some tacos and give some to local business. Thanks for a great trip report.

We camped at Papa Fernandez in Gonzaga on Monday. We arrived about 4 with temps in the mid 90s and mid 70s at night. It blew pretty hard from dusk until early evening. I'm sure the conditions were similar in SF.

David K - 5-29-2013 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hayb

No wind... it was ideal perfect weather... just the sea was too cold for us. The night was cool and a campfire was great (as always).

Glad you like the report... and hoping to indeed keep camping there the rest of my life!

A request and good ecology: Please do not dump in the desert or local dump. Bag out any trash that doesn't burn to at least a San Felipe trash can or back home. The dump west of Percebu (unless improved) simply gets 'flash flooded' into the gulf and ends up on the beaches to the south... There was a lot more trash on Shell Island than typical, and that comes down from Percebu or points north.

If you can bring full bottles south, isn't even easier to take them back empty?

Hope you forthcoming Baja vacation is awesome!

Jealous

Whale-ista - 5-29-2013 at 08:33 PM

What a great trip! Thanks for sharing the photos, it looks like a lot of fun And a beautiful beach.

And thanks for the reminder about hauling out trash And helping protect these beaches for future visitors.

Would love to go for a visit, but will need to wait till things cool off in the fall. I'll be overseas most of June and have a feeling July and August would be a bit warm down there.

Thanks again.

chuckie - 5-30-2013 at 06:06 AM

Lotsa bugs?

David K - 5-30-2013 at 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Lotsa bugs?

No, never 'lotsa bugs'... just saw a couple moths attracted to the campfire and Baja Angel brushed a hairy sand spider off the tent when we were taking it down. :o :lol:

viabaja - 6-9-2013 at 08:31 PM

Dave, get a Sentri pass!! Came back the same day as you, 2 minutes to cross at 9:30 am.

David K - 6-10-2013 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by viabaja
Dave, get a Sentri pass!! Came back the same day as you, 2 minutes to cross at 9:30 am.

Thanks Chris, but there is no special lane in Tecate for one, and we are not going to Baja more than a few times a year. Maybe the day will come when business is back to previous levels or I sell a lot more books ;) ?

grace59 - 6-15-2013 at 06:37 AM

Thanks for the "trip" to Shell Island. I really do want to get down there someday! Perhaps I'll see you there...I'll keep an eye out for your Toyota!

David K - 6-15-2013 at 07:41 AM

Sounds good... !

Ribbonslinger - 12-25-2013 at 06:26 PM

Hi David

Think a F350 with a camper can make it over to shell island at low tide?

Thanks

Ron

David K - 12-26-2013 at 11:07 AM

I think tires have a lot to do with it, as well as the tide... Art (edm1) could not get through the mud in is 4x4 motorhome with front and rear ARB lockers... The nearby fisherman's truck pulled him out and back to the dry side of the salt flat... My Tacomas never have an issue, but if the tide is super high, like all the way to the desert, I wait it out or camp at Nuevo Mazatlan, 4 miles south.

However, I know a fellow (and his brother) from Vista, CA who regularly drove their full size motorhomes onto the beach at Shall Island... 2WD motorhomes... just with the largest tires possible and deflated.

Instead of the road to the concrete bridge, they used the original diagonal route onto the island... more water, but if you stay right on the track, it is compacted. That's how I drove my little Subaru onto the island, as well. Get off the deep worn track, and the mud is like oatmeal! Ask me how I know! Neal Johns also experienced it!!

deanfootlong - 1-5-2014 at 10:09 AM

It really is the best camping spot. Ever. Here's my wife and I a few days before hanks giving 2013.

Neal Johns - 1-5-2014 at 10:35 AM

Yes, DK, I remember Shell Island....

Baja's Shell Island Adventure (1980)

I had discovered the remote Baja beach (now named Shell Island by David K) poking around the area the year before in my Land Cruiser. The two-track off the old road between San Felipe and Puertecitos had looked inviting, so I took it. My religion is simple, if you pass a desert side road without taking it, God will get you! After a few miles, we (my girlfriend and I) arrived on the edge of a muddy lagoon separating some sand dunes from the mainland. We had lunch while we tried to decide whether to drive through the mud or not. We could see that the two-track continued but my chicken blood was running into my brain. Just then a Jeep passed us with a smirk, and drove on through to the dunes. That was it! No darn Jeep can show up a Land Cruiser! We crossed with no problems even if our Tru-Traks (remember TruTraks? The BFG’s of yesteryear) clogged up.

Surprise! There was a pristine beach on the other side of the dunes with no one in sight except way down south. Hundreds of shells littered the beach and we had lots of time to look at them because for every revolution of the tires, we moved forward about two feet. Airing down the tire pressure helped but there was still a lot of slippage. After camping the night, we went on to other things.

Move the clock up a year and I am poking around Baja with two buddies, one with a Jeep CJ-5 and the other in another Land Cruiser. Nightfall approached and I declared "I know a great place to camp!". It took us a while to get there and it was dark with no moon. The lagoon was full and the two-track disappeared under the water. Said I: " No problem, I have been here before and if you stay on the track, there won't be any problem, just follow me". That's when things started to go terribly wrong.

I took off in low range with the two guys behind me and things went OK until the unseen underwater "road" bent right, and I didn't. I started to bog down and screamed the infamous words "Pass me on the right!" just before I got stuck. The Jeep did so and went two more car lengths before he got stuck. We heard on the CB the other Land Cruiser say he was stopping. There was a loud silence before they started cursing at me. The other Land Cruiser was stuck also. The Jeep had a winch on the front bumper which was of little use because we were behind him. I had a small portable winch which we hooked up to his trailer hitch on the Jeep to pull him backwards a ways. As the winch owner, they let me stand in the foot of brackish water and operate the controls. What could go wrong, it was only 12 volts? My screams told the others that the kickback voltage from the motor windings was more that 12 volts and that experiment quickly ended. Next, we broke out the Hi-Lift jacks and pushed some large jack boards down into the mud without moving the Land Cruiser upward. By that time it was midnight and we decided to sleep in the vehicles until daylight. They didn't sleep too well because they thought the rising tide would bury them alive. A few crabs in the water and mud did little to calm their fears.

The next day’s vista was very informative. If we had continued straight the way we were going, we would have been in the unseen mud flat on the edge of the dunes which was much worse that where we were. Guess we missed that right turn. We fooled around some more with the Hi-Lifts to no avail and then turned our efforts to the Land Cruiser closest to the mainland. By burying the spare tire in the mud and using a come-along puller, we got him out about noon. We drove back to San Felipe and tried to hire the large wheeled war-surplus boat launching vehicles to come and pull us out. No luck, they had to remain there to pull the boats out. We then had to decide which would be better, a 400 foot rope, or some planks to serve as railroad tracks. Eight foot long, two inch by twelve inch planks were decided upon and we went to the lumberyard on the main drag. They sawed them to length by hand and we loaded six of them on the Land Cruiser fenders/running boards.

Back at the lagoon in the late afternoon, we set to work getting the Jeep out. For some reason, they vetoed getting my vehicle out first. We pounded nails into the boards and bent them over to give more traction to the soon to be muddy "railroad tracks" and started to work. Using the boards as giant jack boards for the Hi-Lift, we managed to get the wheels started up on four "tracks" and laid two more boards behind them. The plan was to go like heck backwards until the Jeep ran out of track and then pray. We must not have prayed to the right Gods because as soon as the Jeep got off the boards it would go only about 50 feet, and had no steering control whatever. Oh well, only 350 feet to go. The boards that we could manhandle and lift so easily early on, took on a life of their own toward the second midnight. The suction from the mud on a heavy eight foot by 12 inch board was all we could overcome toward the end. We got the Jeep out at midnight and my former friends camped on the warm, dry, sand and informed me that "if" they were around the next morning, "maybe" they would help me out.

The next morning, the water had gone down a little and we started on my Land Cruiser. Around dark, we and our aching backs had it almost out so we quit and they again camped in tents on the sand while I spent another night in the Land Cruiser. The next day after a little more work, we all headed for San Felipe. We checked into Ruben's Camp where we proceeded to wash off the six inches of mud onto the gravel driveway. We got a few funny looks, but it was a rustic campo at that time so we got away with it. When queried as to where we got the mud, we just shook our head and said "south". A few months later, my former friends presented me with a tee shirt that said "Pass me on the right!"

Rumor has it that there is a causeway there now.
(Fact: The causeway bridge is high in the air and useless.)

David K - 1-8-2014 at 01:06 AM

Thank you Neal for reposting your Shell Island horror story. It was very similar to mine from around 1980 in my Subaru (13" tires and no room for error)... If you keep your tires in the deepest water (depressed terrain from vehicle weight) in the road, that was the firmest. Move a few inches off the compacted mud and you were in something as firm as wet oatmeal with no bottom.

We arrived well after dark to camp on the ISLAND (see I say island and not beach for a very good reason) and I zigged when I should have zagged, in the water covered road across the lagoon marsh. Long story short, we slept in the Subaru (viva reclining seats), and I found a large plank of wood by the dunes, jacked my Subaru up onto the plank and drove ahead, but over towards the firm ruts. Had to do that twice... and then we sloshed on the dry sand, drove the 2 miles to our camp spot... and collected another great Baja Stuck story!

The wood could have come from the Shrimp Boat that was blown behind Shell Island in the 1967 huricane. It was slowly dismantled after sitting locked up for a few years. Only the engine (Franklin) and tranny were left to rust in the salt flat.

My dad and I on the beach near Laguna Manuela (Variety Beach) just having the greatest surf fishing weekend... But, this is my 1980 Subaru and loaded the way it was the night we got stuck in the lunar high tide mud of Estero Percebu trying to get onto Shell Island!

To us, this beach is worth the trouble to get to... and we are usually the only campers out there!

deanfootlong - 1-8-2014 at 06:41 AM

I had a good time surf fishing there too. Caught a couple corbina and several sting ray. Actually I had better luck fishing there than the other surrounding fishing spots of the area between San Felipe and puertecitos.

David K - 1-8-2014 at 10:29 AM

Corbina (and croaker) are the reason for my folks many returned trips to the area south of San Felipe in the 60's and early 70's... We would camp at Nuevo Mazatlan (originally known as AGUA DE CHALE), witnessed camp owner Luis Castellanos Moreno plant cuttings of a nearby salt cedar tree to grow his forest of shade trees, drive the beach 2 miles north to the shallow bay we just called 'The Lagoon'... that later would become the vacation home site BAHIA SANTA MARIA..., cast into the lagoon/bay entrance on a rising high tide, and have double hookups (using mussel for bait).

Mom with a pair of corbina at 'the lagoon' (Bahia Santa Maria) about 1967.

Safe crossing tide level?

geoffff - 1-8-2014 at 12:26 PM

Hey David --

Do you have a feel for what is the maximum tide level for safe crossing, or time to let the mud dry after high tide?

When I last tried in May 2012, I was foiled by the tides (checking a historical Puertecitos tide chart, it looks like it was 10ft tide just after high tide). The road looked like this, and I didn't dare cross the mud. Yes, that's the ocean in my photo -- I was just feet from the beach.

I'm planning another trip in February, and the predicted tides look similar for my planned ETA.

-- Geoff

[Edited on 1-8-2014 by geoffff]

willardguy - 1-8-2014 at 12:36 PM

sometimes ya gotta just go for it geoff!:lol:

David K - 1-8-2014 at 02:26 PM

Hi Geoff,

The salt flats flood at an 18 ft. high tide (or above), which is typical around the New or Full moon phase, twice a day... around 2 am and 2 pm +/-. I use the San Felipe tide chart, as Shell Island is a bit closer to San Felipe than Puertecitos.

The photo you posted is about halfway across the salt flats (mud flats) or lagoon between the desert and the beach (island).

The mud is very slimy and you may go sideways a bit... but I have not ever got a Tacoma stuck in it (using low range and A-TRAC or a rear locker).

Now, instead of going straight in along the once well elevated causeway to the defunct bridge, I now go in on the lateral original road (goes off to the right from about where you took picture or just before) and meets the beach 1/4 mile south... next to fisherman's shack.

The elevated road and bridge were built about 1984, and I used it as an easy all tide on/off to the island. Whoever built it and thought they could develop a resort there never did anything more. The elevated causeway began to 'melt' down and by the early 2000's, the bridge could no longer be used... Here's a photo of Surfer Jim on it in Feb., 2004:

I will be honest and tell you if I come to see that much sea water, I might hesitate too, and have camped at Nuevo Mazatlan instead. But, if already on the island and it is that flooded when we leave, we have driven through a foot deep sea water to get off the island. Just stay (if you can figure out where) on the road route.

Here it was in July 2011 looking from the bridge towards where you took the above photo, at high tide:

A year earlier (July 2010), dry as a bone!:

Nov. 2008:

Feb. 2007, looking towards the island:

May, 2013, looking towards the island from the edge of the flats (Km. 26 road):

deanfootlong - 1-8-2014 at 02:43 PM

when I stayed there over thanksgiving 2013, we got there as the sun was going down. the tide was going out but there was still a few inches of water left and it was all mud. I just went for it. we got sideways and bounced around a bit but made it through. heres a pic after we were leaving. I stopped to air the tires back up and snapped this photo. ...I still have some of that mud on the jeep.

David K - 1-8-2014 at 02:54 PM

Did you put the Quadra Drive to work? :light:

It is so nice to see someone actually drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee off road!

deanfootlong - 1-8-2014 at 03:03 PM

sure did! Im pretty impressed with how quadradrive does in mud and sand. its not like having front and rear lockers, which would be nice, but it does well. 192k miles and the varilock axles and original transfer case are still working as they should.

David K - 1-8-2014 at 03:25 PM

Great... Like Jeep's Quadra Drive system, Toyota's A-TRAC system can pull you ahead if just one tire is on firm ground... amazing technology that provides traction like front and rear lockers do, without locking the differentials!

geoffff - 1-8-2014 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
It is so nice to see someone actually drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee off road!

Here's my Jeep Grand Cherokee at Malarrimo Beach back in January 2002. I concur that the Quadradrive works great!

geoffff - 1-8-2014 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Now, instead of going straight in along the once well elevated causeway to the defunct bridge, I now go in on the lateral original road (goes off to the right from about where you took picture or just before) and meets the beach 1/4 mile south... next to fisherman's shack.

Yeah, I guess I was still more than a few feet from the ocean. But it was frustrating to be able to *see* the ocean from there.

I did try driving around to the south a little bit, but the whole area was somewhat muddy, so I got freaked out. I didn't have access to satellite imagery to be sure I could get across further south. I'll give this a try next time!

The camper van I currently drive is 4x4, so I'm good with traction. Still, I drive alone, so getting stuck is a concern.

-- Geoff

David K - 1-8-2014 at 08:32 PM

You can easily see the original road onto the island in your sat image above. Reaches the beach near the word Google in the lower right corner.

David K - 5-14-2014 at 09:18 AM

Well... It's May, and hoping for a return to Shell Island... The Tacoma really wants to get into the sand again (and so do I)! :light:

Fiesta

El Vergel - 5-14-2014 at 12:10 PM

David,

The annual El Vergel Volunteer Fire Department Fundraising Event will take place May 25th, this coming Memorial Day weekend. Campo El Vergel is at Km35 on the San Felipe / Puertecitos Rd., across from Colonia Delicias. Look for the Lighthouse if you're coming from the Playas! Hope to see you and others there.

Best regards,
Vern

David K - 5-14-2014 at 03:03 PM

Hi Vern, maybe post that in the Baja news forum?
Glad to hear from you and that you still go south!

The Diaz Grave is still lost (I think)!!!

The Lost Mission Santa Isabel Adventure remains an epic example of Baja Nomads getting together for fun and adventure... and was Baja Lou's last expedition, I do believe...

http://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/lost_miss...

FULL NOMAD TRIP REPORT: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52696

CrisJk12 - 5-14-2014 at 04:53 PM

Hey Dave, I was down there a few weeks ago and I was trying to locate that road that leads to shell island, I found one dirt road right off the highway, I want to say it was after Rancho Percubu ( might be wrong). I drove about a mile and didnt dare to go any further due to a big patch of deep soft sand (I didnt deflate, since i didnt have anything to air back up with, dont think I would have gotten stuck but didnt want to risk it). The only thing I remember seeing was the green brush on top of the mounds. Any chance I was heading towards the correct direction?

geoffff - 5-14-2014 at 10:54 PM

The entrance to the main "road" into there is pretty distinctive, with these two cinder block pillars on either side:

-- Geoff

CrisJk12 - 5-17-2014 at 09:48 AM

Thanks Geoff, that is the road I took. I remeber trying to read what was on the block.

David K - 5-17-2014 at 10:19 AM

That's it and by km.26. You need an air pump before going off road in Baja.