BajaNomad

Headed to South Dakota, insurance question...

rhintransit - 6-9-2016 at 08:01 PM

Time to get a new (state) drivers license and car registration/plates, so am putting a road trip to South Dakota on the summer road trip schedule. Only thing I haven't figured out is US car insurance. State Farm, my insurers for /0+ years says no street/home address in SD, no car insurance.
I need to drive there, gets plates and DL, and leave...driving my car with some sort of insurance. What companies will insure in this scenario?

SD Info

bajaguy - 6-9-2016 at 09:51 PM

Udo did this dance several years ago. Hopefully he will chime in

mtgoat666 - 6-9-2016 at 10:39 PM

Self insure!

Ricky - 6-9-2016 at 11:09 PM

Geico works, look up some of the mail forwarders on the old interwebs, some have names of brokers. It's odd place. Stay at a hotel for the night, bring the bill, it will prove you're a resident 😜

chuckie - 6-10-2016 at 03:53 AM

I use Liberty Mutual. I have SD plates, a Colorado DL with my Daughters address (she handles my mail), and a Kansas residence. Works fine with no running about creating phoney addresses or such..All real addresses....for real purposes...

bill erhardt - 6-10-2016 at 06:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
Time to get a new (state) drivers license and car registration/plates, so am putting a road trip to South Dakota on the summer road trip schedule. Only thing I haven't figured out is US car insurance......

You may have another problem with your plan in addition to insurance. I went through a similar drill last summer when I flew to SD, bought a new car, registered it there, and got a SD drivers license. I'm pretty sure that to get the SD drivers license requires a SD address. Armed with SD registration and license, I got U S insurance through Progressive, a six month policy with monthly payments that i cancelled after the first month when the new car was safely across the border in Mexico.
I have a South Dakota address through My Home Address, Inc. that I used to get a drivers license and insurance.

[Edited on 6-10-2016 by bill erhardt]

bajaguy - 6-10-2016 at 06:43 AM

Here is the link that Udo posted

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69509#pid8475...

As always, YMMV

Time to get a new (state) drivers license and car registration/plates, so am putting a road trip to South Dakota on the summer road trip schedule. Only thing I haven't figured out is US car insurance. State Farm, my insurers for /0+ years says no street/home address in SD, no car insurance.
I need to drive there, gets plates and DL, and leave...driving my car with some sort of insurance. What companies will insure in this scenario?

SFandH - 6-10-2016 at 06:56 AM

America's Mailbox has an insurance agent

South Dakota business

http://www.americas-mailbox.com/home/insurance

rhintransit - 6-10-2016 at 07:49 AM

thanks! I knew it had been covered but couldn't figure out the search thingie

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Here is the link that Udo posted

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69509#pid8475...

As always, YMMV

meme - 6-10-2016 at 08:05 AM

Geico Insurrance will cover you with South Dakota Registration & Plates and a Ca. mailing address. I have an Az, DL.

rogbag - 6-10-2016 at 08:51 AM

I used Coast Insurance out of Capitola, CA for a 1 month insurance policy 2 years ago when I went NOB. I have a CA drivers license, South Dakota plated car, and a South Dakota mailing address - which is a mail forwarding service which brings me my mail once a week here in Los Barriles. No problems at all.

Coast Auto Insurance
831-479-1990

willardguy - 6-10-2016 at 10:52 AM

can't you just buy a short term U.S. policy here in mexico? why do you need a SD DL?

rhintransit - 6-10-2016 at 03:50 PM

MY AZ license is expiring soon. according to the state tax board applying to renew a license implies residency. They were okay with my using the old one til it expires. I don't want to get into the 'why haven't you been paying income tax for x years" dance. Some other considerations I won't go into here. Bottom line, I want a US DL and US plates and SD is easy, cheap, and no state income tax. Am going to road trip it for the summer and want US insurance. Buying a policy here, withou the new plates and DL doesn't compute.

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
can't you just buy a short term U.S. policy here in mexico? why do you need a SD DL?

chuckie - 6-10-2016 at 04:07 PM

Go for it....

Ricky - 6-10-2016 at 10:39 PM

Look at these guys, seem to be one stop shopping for all your needs: http://www.mydakotaaddress.com/

Fernweh - 6-12-2016 at 11:23 AM

In order to get your SD drivers license, you need to show your original Social Security card - a copy is not accepted!

I did not have mine with me, just a beautiful copy.....did not work for me.

My accountant emailed me a filled out 1099 tax form, which was finally accepted by the SD DMV clerk.

I have my SD drivers license now, and insurance from Allied Ins

DaliDali - 6-12-2016 at 03:14 PM

What do other full time MX residents use for USA coverage when traveling NOB?...

Geico recently cancelled my full coverage policy after somehow sniffing out I was in MX.....
They said "fraud prevention"......
Even with proof that I had a valid and "in force" MX full coverage policy brokered by Lewis and Lewis.....
No yak yak.....we don't care......your cancelled.

Any clues on how an insurance company NOB can sniff out a policy holder is in MX?
The visa card reader at the ready lane zap an alert to them?
Monitor my bank account activity that shows ATM use in MX?
Spy on my TelCel phone use?

woody with a view - 6-13-2016 at 02:32 PM

When you cross south your license plate (and what else?) are photographed. I bet the insurance companies have access to this info. My "any 90 days in Mexico during a year" policy leads me to believe this. How would they know how many days you were SOB otherwise?

DaliDali - 6-13-2016 at 04:24 PM

Beats me Wood man.
I will let the great government conspiracy theorists figure that one out.

Do you happen to know if that seguros place just north of San Q still sells daily policies for NOB?.....It's just north of the Jersey cow sign on the east side.

woody with a view - 6-13-2016 at 04:28 PM

no clue.

SFandH - 6-13-2016 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

Any clues on how an insurance company NOB can sniff out a policy holder is in MX?

Are you accessing their website from Mexico and logging in? It's real easy for a webmaster to keep track of where people are when they log in. Your IP address, which is available on every page request, reveals your location.

[Edited on 6-14-2016 by SFandH]

Bob and Susan - 6-14-2016 at 02:32 PM

why would an insurance company care if the car is not NOB???

it seems to me that they would have a WAY better chance for you to NOT file a claim with them

as for canceling a policy after getting plates...well...California cancels the plates if you do that

there IS a "new industry"...cars driving around with "plate readers"...they sell info to companies telling them where cars are at certain times...Julie chen (big brother) is watching...

SFandH - 6-15-2016 at 09:09 AM

U.S. Customs Tracks Millions Of License Plates And Has Shared Data With Insurance Firms

"It may come as little surprise that every time you cross the border, cameras capture your license plate number to record your car’s location. More disturbing, perhaps, is the fact that the government seems to share that automobile surveillance data with an unexpected third party: insurance companies."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/08/21/documen...

More info here:

https://www.google.com.mx/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&...

[Edited on 6-15-2016 by SFandH]

BajaBlanca - 6-15-2016 at 11:39 AM

Our solution was to Mexican plate our vehicles and get insurance here that covers us north of the border.

J.P. - 6-15-2016 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
why would an insurance company care if the car is not NOB???

it seems to me that they would have a WAY better chance for you to NOT file a claim with them

as for canceling a policy after getting plates...well...California cancels the plates if you do that

there IS a "new industry"...cars driving around with "plate readers"...they sell info to companies telling them where cars are at certain times...Julie chen (big brother) is watching...

I let my passport expire,it had Ben expired for 3 mos. and I crossed the border several times and they looked at it and never said anything.
I applied for a new one and was hesitant to cross going north without a passport. So around the time the new one was supposed to arrive I armed myself with my Drivers lics. and Birth cert. and drove up to the booth prepared for the worst. The person at the booth said I don't need to see all that your new passport was mailed out (date) and should be in your box when you get there.
BIG BROTHER IS ALL KNOWING.

[Edited on 6-15-2016 by J.P.]

SFandH - 6-15-2016 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  

BIG BROTHER IS ALL KNOWING.
[Edited on 6-15-2016 by J.P.]

It is getting to the point where a tremendous amount of information is being gathered about each one of us by various organizations and then collected together and made available to the authorities and private organizations.

I've been reading about car insurance (the topic of this thread) and car insurance companies have available to them the license plate reader data collected by the law enforcement agencies so the companies can investigate stolen car and fraudulent claims. They also access your credit report and factor in your credit rating when determining premiums. They also keep a database of their own called CLUE that is available to all insurance companies. It contains prior claims data and even info about telephone conversations you may have had with an agent.

https://www.privacyrights.org/clue-and-you-how-insurers-size...

They come up with a number that is your insurance score to compute premiums, much like a credit score which is used to compute loan interest rates.

There are two main issues with all of this. Privacy and accuracy. The privacy issue is obvious. Data accuracy is less obvious. Inaccurate data may be causing you problems and you don't know it, but it's in your record following you around, available to more people than you think. And free form information on your record, such as a summary of a telephone conversation is scary.

And of course, public records that have always been available but a pain to access are becoming more and more accessible to everyone via their browser and a few clicks.

It's the information age and the information is about YOU.

P.S. Don't forget your cell phone when you go out so they know where you are and who you are talking to. :O

[Edited on 6-15-2016 by SFandH]

Udo - 6-15-2016 at 08:10 PM

You are right on the $, H!