BajaNomad

bahia coyote or requeson

honda tom - 6-14-2016 at 09:19 AM

we have hung out a few times at requeson and the wife and kids love it. this trip thinking about going to coyote. we will have another family with us in a 2 wheel drive camper van. to get to the "palms" at coyote.... do we travel in soft sand? and is there a high tide exiting issue? thanks

David K - 6-14-2016 at 09:28 AM

Yes, the old Baja main road goes next to a cliff to reach El Coyote and during high lunar tides, it is underwater (and has been since the 1940s). The road bed is firm, so 2WD should not be an issue. Anytime you need to pass over sand in 2WD, just pick up the speed... momentum is your friend. If you get stuck, drop the air pressure in all 4 tires until you see a good bulge (10-15 psi) to drive out.

A 2WD van leaving El Coyote at high tide (full moon):

[Edited on 6-14-2016 by David K]

Mulegena - 6-14-2016 at 10:41 AM

The Sea of Cortez tides respond to the phase of the moon and are higher in summer than winter.

Bob and Susan - 6-14-2016 at 02:36 PM

that's true but I've always thought it was all that snow melting that fills the ocean...you know... global warming

the swing here is only 15 feet

AKgringo - 6-14-2016 at 03:10 PM

I suppose it depends on where you are, but the most extreme tides usually occur near the Summer, and Winter solstice.

That would be about right now by the way.

bajabuddha - 6-14-2016 at 03:11 PM

You didn't mention time of year of your trip; Coyote will give you more shade factor than Requeson will for sure...... but also maybe more snakes seeking same. Far's tide factoid, only lasts maybe 4 hours; there are several tide data sites on the web, you can print out tides for a whole month and know when the highest ones are, no big.

Also note: if your trip is 'off-season' the food vendors might not be going all the way out to Requeson due to fewer campers. That also means you'll be more secure on Coyote if you have a couple of neighbors. I wouldn't leave 'stuff' alone on Requeson (or any beach for that matter) camping without a neighbor or two.

[Edited on 6-14-2016 by bajabuddha]

KurtG - 6-14-2016 at 03:31 PM

I love Requeson but for me it has always been a place for day trips. For camping Coyote is wonderful, great beach with islands close by which also have a couple of great beaches on them. Also I have always considered Coyote's visual surroundings to be exceptional, great views in all directions. There are a number of good restaurants nearby. I've driven every type of vehicle you could imagine to Coyote with no problem.

[Edited on 6-14-2016 by KurtG]

David K - 6-14-2016 at 03:36 PM

Hot springs, too!

honda tom - 6-14-2016 at 09:59 PM

stopping by this week for an afternoon on the way to loreto... maybe 1 to 4 pm.

honda tom - 6-14-2016 at 10:04 PM

looks like high tide is closer to 7 to 8 pm, looks ok.

bajabuddha - 6-15-2016 at 04:03 AM

Tom, if you're just hanging for a few hours, have you ever checked out La Perla cove just south of Requeson about half a klik? There are a few palapas there still standing (I hope) that'd give you some shade, and is a great small swimming cove. Access is from Requeson south on the old dirt Camino Real.... and from the highway half a klik south of Req. before you get to Armenta.

Still, Coyote's probably your best bet, especially for scenery and a little company. I thought you were gonna be camping a few days; just an afternoon, no problemas. Have a good one.

chuckie - 6-15-2016 at 06:01 AM

Coyote used to have a Lovely Palm tree, but alas..Due to Global warming increased sea levels it is now under water....:(

David K - 6-15-2016 at 08:16 AM

Let's see it.

chuckie - 6-15-2016 at 02:27 PM

Cant..Its under water, like I said...fronds at the very top were visible last week, but covered now....Somebody could get you a map and you could go see for yourself...OH! That's right you don't go to Baja anymore, Dang....

bajabuddha - 6-15-2016 at 03:39 PM

:lol: :lol: ...Yup, humorectomies required... :lol: purty soon ol' Sunny Boy'll be able to whistle without pursing his lips....:lol: ....... who needs a funny bone after all..... :lol: :lol:

chuckie - 6-15-2016 at 03:57 PM

HEY! Buddha can confirm this...He and I over flew in my Lear last week on our way to a party in Cabo....

David K - 6-15-2016 at 04:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Cant..Its under water, like I said...fronds at the very top were visible last week, but covered now....Somebody could get you a map and you could go see for yourself...OH! That's right you don't go to Baja anymore, Dang....

Really? When did I stop going to Baja? Summer is almost here... I hate cold water.

The past two years of 2015 and 2014 we may have only had four trips, but they were pure Baja to the fullest!

April 2015: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=78437

July 2015: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=79730
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 2014: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=74324

Sept. 2014: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=75184

chuckie - 6-15-2016 at 04:03 PM

You said you weren't/couldn't go anymore because you were destitute...Economy being so bad and all ...

David K - 6-15-2016 at 04:06 PM

Prove it, show me where I said any such thing.
The economy is bad... the worst since the depression and it didn't have to be. It's all about getting votes and grabbing more power.

chuckie - 6-15-2016 at 04:15 PM

See Davidk's posts..Why do you need votes and power to go to Baja...????

bajabuddha - 6-15-2016 at 04:23 PM

Aw Chuck, his DOPPELGANGER wrote that in..... even though I read it myself (bad economy post) I knew it wasn't Sonny who wrote it........... it's that guy that looks just like him that travels around trying to make him look bad.... same guy I DIDN'T meet once, you know......

Gawd, fishin's good this week, eh? :lol:

chuckie - 6-15-2016 at 04:30 PM

Has been so far...62 nice Crappies on Monday....too hot now....

David K - 6-15-2016 at 04:39 PM

Your two should get a room, LOL!

chuckie - 6-15-2016 at 04:57 PM

I'd ask if you were going to pay but then I remembered you are broke,,,,(because of the bad economy)

BajaBlanca - 6-15-2016 at 05:06 PM

the conversation is about beaches:

requeson or coyote.

come on kids, stick to the topic. and I wonder why my 6th graders act up LOL

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

bajabuddha - 6-15-2016 at 06:58 PM

YEAH........ WHAT SHE SAID......... :P ...... :lol:

[Edited on 6-16-2016 by bajabuddha]