winter 2019/2020 23 day baja trip planned(soliciting feedback ) for planning

Pages:  1  

chrishaynesusa - 8-24-2017 at 02:30 PM

This is a first pass at Itinerary.
comments welcome.

[Edited on 8-24-2017 by chrishaynesusa]

[Edited on 8-26-2017 by BajaNomad]

StuckSucks - 8-24-2017 at 03:08 PM

Do you have much experience driving in Baja? What will you be driving?

Ahhhh ... Boxing Day in BofLA!

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 8-24-2017 at 03:42 PM

Hola chrishaynesusa,

Welcome to Nomad !

just a thought..before Christmas and about two weeks after new years is one of worst times to be traveling in baja due to the immense amount of traveling the mexican people and other tourists will be doing including buying gas and groceries a couple of days before those holidays. expressly also buying gas on their way home.

some beaches can be overly crowded by the mexican people dry camping in tents and under tarps without bathroom facilities.

if you have any major business transactions, it can be very problematic due to so many various businesses being closed.

i was working on forming my corporation around Christmas and new years 2007with a notario during this time and nothing moved forward, PERIOD !

Easter is another major headache for traveling.

i hope it helps as you are planning well in advance of your trip.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

MMc - 8-24-2017 at 04:00 PM

Welcome to the board! It will be a fun trip. What are trying to achieve on this trip? It looks like a scouting mission.
I would skip Puerto Chale, If you have been there once you'll wonder why anybody would go there at all.
Consider, Campo Rene/Abreojos/ La Bocana area or Bahia Asuncion instead of Tortugas, nicer places to stay, Tortugas is a bit industrial for me.
If you want boojum trees, Catavina would be my call.
You need to spend the night in San Ignacio also. maybe Friday 3
You'll be driving a lot, and understand that things don't go as planned in Baja.
There will people here telling you you are driving too much, it's your trip do what you want. Don't let somebody you don't know plan their trip for you. GO and ENJOY BAJA!!!
Check you u2u

David K - 8-24-2017 at 04:36 PM

I suggest you look at the Baja Trip Reports forum here on Nomad to get a look at some places.

I will say you are zipping past a lot of stuff in the center.

Puertecitos is not a side trip but along the way to Gonzaga Bay and south... Really, it is well enough seen from the highway. The property owners collect 200 pesos just for entering their property to have a look at the hot springs or launch ramp.

One full day min. at Bahia de L.A.

Mulege to Puerto Chale makes no sense, too far, pass by so much to see in Mulege and Bahia Concepcion, and why Puerto Chale, which is close to La Paz by comparison???

Cabo is a city, mobs of traffic...

What is El Cajete?

Skip Bahia Tortugas and just enjoy Bahia Asuncion with the hospitality so many have enjoyed from Shari who runs the Bufadora Inn there.

I am happy to help, and these are just my off the cuff responses looking at your itinerary, briefly.

To help you better, we need to know:

1) What are you driving?
2) What are the activities you are interested in that Baja offers?
You already listed camping or motels, so we know you are okay with those. Campgrounds are often rustic, no showers or flush toilets, and there are many places you can camp if you don't need any services. Just please take out empty whatever you bring in full (ie. no trash left behind).
3) How many times have you been to Baja before?

mtgoat666 - 8-24-2017 at 04:54 PM

concerns me when people are planning their road trip in a spreadsheet. indicates uptight type A nervousness, such people aren't made for road tripping in a laid back way.

that said,...

skip san felipe, it is pretty dumpy place, poor quality beaches, not worth the time.

you mention going to el rosario for boojum trees. odd choice. scratch that and go to catavina area for boojums and boulders.

i would skip cabo, and spend time elsewhere.

given length of your trip, I would pick 3 or 4 destinations, and then let the rest of the schedule be what it becomes (i.e. just a couple reservations around holidays, rest by seat of the pants)

chrishaynesusa - 8-24-2017 at 05:03 PM

Greetings and thank you for the feedback so far.

I am leading a trip consisting of 10 Xterras(4x4's) with ample camping/offroading/ possibilities. We will be carrying jerrycans of gas to extend our range and gear contributing to self sufficiency.

I don't know any of the places I have outlined on my trip except San Felipe.

I like hot-springs , like lounging about but still wish to accomplish a trip down and back in the allotted time.

I have recently completed a trip to dead-horse Alaska and back to san jose ca(8K miles total) in 23 days. the driving was excruciating!!

I wanted to drive less , lounge more, drink more and have less time in the saddle. compared to the AK trip this looks like a short excursion. I am OK with skipping a destination in favor of another one but want to hold firm to the limit of 23 days, and the destination of Cabo at the tip and back.

Best regards to all and thank you for all of your suggestions

PS ....when I'm retired perhaps I'll get rid of the spreadsheet :)

[Edited on 8-25-2017 by chrishaynesusa]

David K - 8-24-2017 at 05:17 PM

See my trip reports from this year, last and the 2012, 2 week trip to Cabo will give you lots of ideas HERE: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=61576

SFandH - 8-24-2017 at 05:18 PM

The weather in the northern half will be considerably cooler and maybe rainy. I'd minimize time in the north.

IMHO the best area in Baja is Bahia Concepcion south of Mulege.

Also, add Todos Santos to the itinerary. Best to have hotel reservations that time of the year, especially Cabo.

TMW - 8-24-2017 at 05:45 PM

For me 23 days is a lot of time. I would prefer to do most of the trip off road instead of the highway. But to each his own. If you plan it right you can go from the border to Cabo with less than 100 miles of highway. If you want to see the tourist spots OK but the back country is much better.

ehall - 8-24-2017 at 05:53 PM

Lol. If I had 23 days I would just go and decide where on the fly.

chrishaynesusa - 8-24-2017 at 06:03 PM

thank you again for the feedback.
I want the participants to have the experience of "to the end and back"

and the best stops for an offroading group that is self sufficient.
with at least a stop in Cabo.

my daily drives/stops are not written in stone since I just looked for equitable distances for driving.

The format I hoped to achieve was drive,/stop 1/2 days,/drive,/drive,/stop,/drive,.....etc,........rinse repeat......

since this is during a holiday period, I wanted to be stationary over the Christmas holiday and stationary during the New years holiday.

shari - 8-24-2017 at 06:16 PM

Hi Chris and welcome to the sandbox!
Just seeing that spreadsheet gave me the jitters...Baja is not a great place if you are on a tight schedule as so many cool things come up to alter your travel plan. It might be wise to use that sheet as a rough outline and be open to changes that may come up due to accidents, breakdowns, screw ups etc.
Be aware that over the holidays especially at New Years there can be gas shortages that force you to wait a couple days in a place till the gas truck comes in so plan to always top up then and get gas when you can.
I agree that your drive time would be better spent maybe doing the coast loop on your way north (or south) that allows you to see some cool fishing villages Bahia Asuncion, Pta.Prieta, SAn Hipolito, La Bocana and Pta.Abreojos....all nicer than Bahia Tortugas. I can help organize a big lobster feast if you visit our village.
Have a blast and keep it loose!

ehall - 8-24-2017 at 07:22 PM

We can make you a list of offroad routes if that is what you are looking for.

I'll start
After camping at hot springs double back to the north, gas at rumorosa and south past laguna hanson to ojos. Gas and luck at valle de trinidad.
East on hwy to laguna diablo dry lake bed. Turn right and go to san felipe. Be sure and stop and see jose.

[Edited on 8-25-2017 by ehall]

willardguy - 8-24-2017 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

I'll start
After camping at hot springs double back to the north, gas at rumorosa and south past laguna hanson to ojos. Gas and luck at valle de trinidad.
East on hwy to laguna diablo dry lake bed. Turn right and go to san felipe. Be sure and stop and see jose.

and Ox! ;)

norte - 8-24-2017 at 08:03 PM

I agree, with 10 vehicles in caravan you have to stayu on a schedule...free wheeling it willl ahhh just cause problems. Nothing wrong with Tortugas.....some people just have something to sell. take the road along the coast as others have, from Punta ABreojos to Bahia Tortugas. And you can still drive through Asuncion.

The only thing I would change is stay in San Ignacio instead of Santa Rosalia (no where to camp in Santa Rosalia).

ehall - 8-24-2017 at 08:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

I'll start

and Ox! ;)

Yes Ox too. Enjoy the whoops on the powerline for a few miles.

ehall - 8-24-2017 at 08:14 PM

From San felipe hit puertocitos and check out the hot spring. Lunch at alfonsinas in gonzaga bay. Say hi to coco then hit Calamajue wash and go to bola.

BooJumMan - 8-24-2017 at 08:56 PM

10 rigs?!! Sounds like the blind leading the blind. Baja is about solitude... Maybe go someplace else.

chrishaynesusa - 8-24-2017 at 09:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
10 rigs?!! Sounds like the blind leading the blind. Baja is about solitude... Maybe go someplace else.

there is always one in every forum.

I appreciate the suggestions regarding off roading. I am specifically looking for a route from Canyon de Guadalupe south to San Felipe.

(maybe through the playa?)

other suggestions regarding substituting one village for another I will need to consult a map to see if they add significant mileage to the trip. and re-read to understand the attraction of the alternate destination.

This is an over-landing trip but I don't want to beat up everyone on the dirt roads and lengthen their daily driving mileage significantly and reduce their amount of evening / camp/ gathering/ dinner/ drinking/ gathering time.

south from Guadalupe to SF

John M - 8-25-2017 at 05:34 AM

Easy Peasy - South to Cohabuzzo Junction, then east to Highway 5, bypassing Tres Pozos which would be slightly south of the route.

I don't have my gps routes or directions easily available but the route is shown on most good Baja maps. I assume you'll be using a GPS for some routes?

Many on this forum have taken that way and surely someone has the directions ready to share. I'll watch, and dig through my files in the event no one comes up with the turns, etc.

A cool route off the pavement.

If you tell what map(s) you are using to layout and plan your trip it would help others to see what you can see and help with directions. You can do a lot more dirt roads to SF but sensing you have destinations and time frames then this dirt portion I've mentioned would fit nicely into your schedule, not to mention it would probably take more to by returning to Highway 2, Mexicali, then south.

I sent you a "private message" see the U2U on the very top of the Nomad site - next to where it shows your log in status. To reply to the U2U you will need to see the message, scroll down, to where it says reply, then write your reply there. Sometimes you may find it easier and more productive to communicate with specific Nomads this way.

John M

[Edited on 8-25-2017 by John M]

kevin_in_idaho - 8-25-2017 at 06:00 AM

We did something similar early this year and I like this idea and what we did. We found that at some places we thought we'd stay 1 night, we stayed a week.

Nothing really in San Felipe (IMHO) that warrants 1 night. Go a little further to Shell Beach, but everyone likes different things; we prefer less crowds.

Good luck!

TMW - 8-25-2017 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chrishaynesusa  

there is always one in every forum.

I appreciate the suggestions regarding off roading. I am specifically looking for a route from Canyon de Guadalupe south to San Felipe.

(maybe through the playa?)

other suggestions regarding substituting one village for another I will need to consult a map to see if they add significant mileage to the trip. and re-read to understand the attraction of the alternate destination.

This is an over-landing trip but I don't want to beat up everyone on the dirt roads and lengthen their daily driving mileage significantly and reduce their amount of evening / camp/ gathering/ dinner/ drinking/ gathering time.

Simple route is down to Cohabuso Jct and over to Tres Pozos and out to Hwy 5 at KM87.

The directions shown are from Hwy 5 to Cohabuso Jct. The green line would be coming from Guadalupe Canyon area.

[Edited on 8-25-2017 by TMW]

Alm - 8-25-2017 at 12:56 PM

x2. But he doesn't have this luxury, it's a caravan-type outing, 10 cars. A lot of stress on the trail boss. Probably some business or a club. Blind leading the blind - I like this one :)...

Agreed with SF - minimize the North part, this time of year.

Also, - skip Sta Rosalia. Nothing (almost) to look at, and no nice hotels or camps on the beach. Well, there is a camp in muddy laguna of "pokito San Lukito" 15 miles South of Sta Rosa, and you won't lose much if you don't get to see it. The town of Sta Rosa itself isn't really aesthetically pleasing and is always crowded since re-opening of the copper mine. If it's a must on your list, make 2 hours stop. Just don't drive deep into downtown, traffic sucks and parking is a nightmare. It's not even a big town, just over-crowded.
If you have to fill up on water and groceries, do it in Guerrero Negro, less stressful.

[Edited on 8-25-2017 by Alm]

Sr.vienes - 8-25-2017 at 02:08 PM

The loop from BOLA Hwy. 1 through the mission of San Borja to Rosarito back on Hwy 1 has always been a group pleaser. It makes a nice spot to Cook and camp and tour the Mission and surrounding area. The trip out can be quite pretty when things are blooming.

David K - 8-25-2017 at 03:34 PM

Mission San Borja and José and family with their palapas and showers at the mission is a win!

Chris, you are a year early but good to start forming ideas! I am happy to give you data but I share all my trips here, so just look at my trip reports here on Nomad, as well as others. 'geofff' has a 4x4 van and posts some great all-over-Baja reports on Nomad.

I invite you to enjoy this video, with speakers turned on of a 10-day tour I designed and led (except for the Concepcion Peninsula), last September (2016). A great group with 4 Toyota 4x4s and great talent:

Mexicali-San Felipe (camped 20 miles south on Shell Island)
Shell Island-Mission San Borja via Calamajué Canyon
San Borja-L.A. Bay via Montevideo pictographs
L.A. Bay-San Ignacio via Pancho's and the giant painted cave near El Arco
San Ignacio-Punta Concepcion
Punta Concepcion-La Perla, Bahia Concepcion
La Perla-Bahia Asuncion, at Shari's La Bufadora Inn, Mexican Independence day.
Bahia Asuncion-Las Pintas fossil and petroglyph grotto
Las Pintas to Ron's sea culture project, San Quintin
San Quintin-Tecate, home.

[Edited on 8-26-2017 by BajaNomad]

chrishaynesusa - 8-25-2017 at 04:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback, suggestions, alternate stops.

being a trail leader is a thankless job.(remember , no good deed goes unpunished) :)

I want all participants to have the experience of down and back.
right number of stops
right number of extended stays
right number of hot springs
right number of good camping
right number of travel days that can be accomplished in 23 days.
with bragging rights that : I went down and back" :) :)

If people want to go back down later to visit their "favorite spot" form the trip then I did my job.

YMMV

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 8-25-2017 at 05:43 PM

HOLA,

don't forget everyone needs passports ( check the expiration dates now ), stop at the border for visas ( fmm ), get auto and other vehicles if being towed insurance, easy from bajabound and possibly medical travel and evacuation insurance.

i hope this is a fantastic and safe trip for you and your fellow travelers.

if you do run into problems, there are people on this website all over baja that may be of assistance.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

BajaBlanca - 8-25-2017 at 05:47 PM

Be sure to take the coast road from Bahia Asuncion to La Bocana and stop by to say hi to me (Blanca) and husband Les!

I think La Bocana warrants a night - we are so remote and you can either stay at the cabins right on the entrance to the lagoon (more rustic) or with us in our B&B (www.labocanahotel.com) where Les will make you his famous Polish Eggs for breakfast!

23 days should be great fun. Do not miss San Ignacio - so much history with a beautiful town square in front of a mission built by Indians with massively thick walls. For reasonable accommodations there is LA HUERTA hotel - go past the mission church and it will be on the right, inset from the street. Plenty of parking. For more ritzy verrrrry cool accomodations, stay at the yurts (www.ignaciosprings.com)

I must admit, I do not envy you this journey with 10 vehicles !!

The beaches south of Mulege are some of the most spectacular

Alm - 8-25-2017 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

I must admit, I do not envy you this journey with 10 vehicles

Caravan bosses are not in it for pleasure - or for pleasure only. Keeping the group happy with minimum stress for leader is the goal.
Though it's not very often that they come here to ask for help with planning.

David K - 8-25-2017 at 08:02 PM

I was total pleasure for me. Baja has been a part of me most of my life. Maybe that's why it is different for me? I led my first group Baja trip in 1975, when I was 17!
I love introducing people to the wonders of Baja.

chrishaynesusa - 8-25-2017 at 08:11 PM

I only do it because its part of my character.
and there is safety in numbers. I usually lead off road adventures in Death valley, Black rock desert, the sierras, or in Moab occasionally.

not everyone is happy after a trail run but if the majority is then I'm happy.
I don't mind following either if someone is more knowledgeable(military training) :)

This is not a for profit adventure. only a group of off roaders who wish to visit Baja California. And I very much appreciate all the advice and even offers of accommodation or dining locations.

some times it's nice to eat at a restaurant or event planners location after a day of driving( I know this all to well after 8k miles to Alaska and back 2 weeks ago)

I think 2+ years from now is adequate time to plan a good event and to have all participants happy . I am in the process of revising the "spreadsheet" in favor of some suggestions and will re post it when adjusted.
thanks also for the short cut route across the playa to highway 5 on the way to San Felipe. that is exactly what I was looking for . :)

BajaNomad - 8-25-2017 at 09:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

What is El Cajete?

Why El Cajete?

How about Pichilingue peninsula (Saltito, Tecolote, Balandra) or Bahia Muertos (Punta Arena, La Ventana) areas?

Perhaps less time in Cabo and more time in La Paz area.

:)

wilderone - 8-26-2017 at 10:28 AM

So you have a group of XTerras with offroad and camping cabability - and yet you'll only be offroading to Guadalupe Hotsprings and Pto San Francisquito? Is your objective to drive the length of the peninsula or to have fun at the off-the beaten-path locales? To make the most of your effort, expenditure and capability, you should consider many of the suggestions on this forum. Personally, I'd skip Cabo, per se - maybe get as far as Cabo Pulmo. Check out the hotsprings at Santiago? Definitely get up to the San Javier mission west of Loreto - lots of good camping en route. The Bahia Asuncion-La Bocana route is perfect for your group. One night in San Felipe to wash off the dust would be OK. The road to Scammons Lagoon will be open for whale watching, though it will be a tad early in the season for arriving whales; nevertheless the camping there is wonderful if it fits in your day's schedule. Camping at San Fernando mission or El Marmol is free and interesting. What else besides driving from Point A to Point B would you want to include? Keep in mind that your days will be short - sunset around 5:30 pm. So start early to make the most of your day. Make a rough itinerary, but have more than one option in case your day-to-day destinations don't pan out.

Udo - 8-26-2017 at 11:35 AM

Hola, Chris

The Nomad membership has given superb suggestions.

As one who lives here and has spent bookoos of years driving North and South Baja, that is a fairly optimistic spread sheet. Sheet happens once down here, and to be stuck to a schedule would put a large burden on your travels.

Cabo is a tourist city, and the most you can see there are the marina and Cabo Wabo. Maybe do some shopping at the markets behind Cabo Wabo. If you want to spend the night there, the Hotel Mar De Cortez has Nomad friendly prices.

If on a tight schedule, the must see places in Baja Sur are: Bahia Asunción, San Ignacio, Santa Rosalia, Mulege, Todos Santos, La Paz (don't forget to drive to Tecolote Beach, where you can camp) and get a panga to take you to the East of the island for a snorkel trip with the local sea life plus they provide a beach picnic on the island.

shari - 8-26-2017 at 11:39 AM

like wilderone said....camping in the lagoon would be perfect for your group as it is a pretty drive in..only half an hour off the highway and there is a restaurant where you can all eat nice fresh seafood too...not to mention see baby whales and mating!

willardguy - 8-26-2017 at 12:08 PM

I'd add more time in cabo san lucas :P chalk it up to different strokes....

tiotomasbcs - 8-26-2017 at 02:12 PM

More than one! Someone who knows little about a big place, Baja, leading 10 rigs? Asking questions on a forum. A commercial venture? I 'm with BooJum ! During season a group of more than two rigs will be difficult to get a Welcome. Look at DK's travel advice.

TMW - 8-26-2017 at 02:59 PM

I think leading 10 vehicles is like herding cats, ask Ken Cooke.

Are you sure they will go to Baja. A couple of years ago I was asked to lead a group from San Diego on an off road trip to Baja and it turned out that only the leader would go. Everyone else was afraid.

willardguy - 8-26-2017 at 03:06 PM

sounds like a blast to me, salud! :coolup:

MMc - 8-27-2017 at 05:27 PM

I like his ideas, It would be a great trip for some. If i was going to spend 1 night in Cabo new years would be it. I hope they have a great time and get the "Baja Fever"

Hook - 8-27-2017 at 07:01 PM

I am thinking that it would be more practical to leave the vehicles somewhere outside of Cabo and bus in to Mar de Cortez.

Or, is there no Nomad in Cabo who can accommodate all these rigs for camping or crashing on the tile? And then get them to the bus route for a night in town?
Nomads is such an "earthy" group that we dont seem to have a good Cabo connection. Most avoid Cabo on this board. I like offroading and camping, but Cabo is fun for a night. Completely concur on spending NYE in Cabo.

And for those of you who are suggesting that he/she stop somewhere north of there, well, that isnt in keeping with the "to the tip and back" idea.

Interesting that a person with USA in their name would highlight Boxer Day. What's up with that? High % of Canucks in the group?

[Edited on 8-28-2017 by Hook]

[Edited on 8-28-2017 by Hook]

She?

AKgringo - 8-27-2017 at 07:18 PM

I am reading the user name as; Chris Haynes USA.

It could go either way!

Hook - 8-27-2017 at 08:02 PM

I have edited to include both pronouns. It just seemed like a woman to me. Maybe not.

David K - 8-27-2017 at 08:30 PM

You can see Cabo without sleeping there. Some super beaches just north or the tropical mountains, both offer camping choices. If they want to night party, I suggest Las Vegas... it is not much different for that kind of zoo atmosphere, is it? Maybe watch one of Cameron's tv tours that ended in Cabo and maybe figure what hotel safely parked 30 4x4 Raptors and other rigs or motorcycles and support vehicles? Budget that in if Cabo overnight is a must. One nice thing about Baja is the options are many.

MMc - 8-27-2017 at 09:44 PM

This isn't a nomad trip it is their trip, I would not let others plan my trip, It's my trip. They are just asking for some advice and ideas. Let's not get into the usual peeing contest. I think, I ask too much.

wilderone - 8-28-2017 at 08:11 AM

For Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, New Years, you'll need reservations depending on your plans (hotels), and many establishments may be closed (Christmas Day), and some hotels have 2 or 3 day minimums for these holidays. Too, that puts some pressure on the itinerary to make it all the way to Cabo in 9 days to make those reservations, bypassing so many wonderful sights. I spent a memorable New Years Eve at Laguna Manuela with a kayak group - camped at the top of the hill near the old lighthouse walls - fired up the stoves and cooked a wonderful spaghetti dinner. With 20+ people, you can bring your own music, dress up, dance - do it Baja style wherever you are.

chrishaynesusa - 9-1-2017 at 11:25 PM

To the tip and back is the overriding theme.
hot springs every couple of nights is wonderful.
seclusion for camping is attainable in 4x4's
rigs will have plenty of jerrycans for gas.

I will be posting the trip as a 23 leg pictoral and ask again at that time for suggestions where people who wish to suggest can point to a specific leg(picture) and offer a suggestion.

I have been on other forums where some tell me to stay home or offer some other negativity. I thank all of the people who have made suggestions so far and look forward to more.

This trip is still over 2 years away. It is NOT for profit. Just a bunch of offroaders who have wheeled together in the past and now want to overland to baja.

I just finished a trip to Prudhoe bay(dead horse AK) and back. it was 8k miles. Doing 2k miles in the same time seems easy to me, having just done 4x that amount.

thank you to all again.
ChrisHaynesUSA

[Edited on 9-2-2017 by chrishaynesusa]

basautter - 9-2-2017 at 05:52 AM

Nice planning! Looks like a great trip!:bounce:

BooJumMan - 9-2-2017 at 02:35 PM

Sorry if my post was negative, but the thought of being someplace alone and looking over my shoulder to see 10 rigs cruising up to camp nearby makes me shudder. It is becoming a lot more common these days though. Something about a convoy into Baja just bums me out.

TMW - 9-2-2017 at 02:54 PM

I'm sure you will have a great trip and see many wonderful things. Take your time and don't drive after dark. Do a Margarita tour. Compare Margaritas as you wander down Baja and back.

wilderone - 9-3-2017 at 08:33 AM

" ... the thought of being someplace alone and looking over my shoulder to see 10 rigs cruising up to camp...."
Ha! Got a big surprise couple years ago on my backpack to Mision Santa Maria. Was about 7 mi. down the road - just past the overlook point where you can see the Gulf - and I look up and see someone standing on the rim of the cliff. I wasn't very far away so I hiked back up, only to see 3 jeeps and about 9 people milling around. They told me 12 more jeeps were coming - an offroad jeep club from Ensenada - they were headed to Mision Santa Maria to camp! One guy told me they'd give me a ride, but there was just no room with people and gear crammed in each vehicle. After they all passed, I thought hard about continuing on - I definitely was not planning to share my camp space with 40+ people. And one guy told me they had done some recon a few days before and the little stream that I was counting on that runs near the ruins was dry, and you could only get water in the canyon. So that made me turn around - hiking into that canyon a couple times hauling water was not in the plans either. So I hiked back a couple miles to a wonderful camp site for another night in that pristine desert area before I hiked out; one of the guys had given me a beer that I enjoyed with dinner. In hindsight, perhaps divine intervention. On the hike out, about 2 miles from Rcho Sta Inez, there was a group of about a dozen young people in sneakers carrying quart water bottles - told me they were going to the mission! A guy offered me some water, and I declined - "you'll need it" I told him. He insisted, said "I have more" and so I took about 8 oz. Then the rest of his group came over the hill - young girls in shorts, sneakers, quart water bottles. I told them "it's far" - they just passed me and went on - wonder what happened to them.
I still want to try again though - an opportune time after there's been some rain. Sorry if this is considered a hijack.

David K - 9-3-2017 at 10:52 AM

When our small Nomad group was camping at the mission (2010) a huge Jeep club arrived over the next hour, just after dark. They camped in the palms east of the mission and were no problem or noisy at all. Maybe they even heard Baja Bucko sing her Baja Cowboy love song at our campfire that night? Baja is big enough to share and anyone who travels bad roads to see it, have always turned out to be good people, like us!

Alm - 9-4-2017 at 12:53 AM

...the thought of being someplace alone and looking over my shoulder to see 10 rigs cruising up to camp nearby makes me shudder. It is becoming a lot more common these days though. Something about a convoy into Baja just bums me out.

You can't do anything about this. I too don't understand a convoy in Baja, this is not Chiapas. Not a typical convoy though, a group of off-roaders. Have seen something like this a few times, - a dozen or so ATV traveling from somewhere to somewhere. It's better when they have a leader and some sort of discipline, - less obnoxious.

Tranquility in Baja these days is difficult. Some camps/beaches are more deserted, and then - wham! an ATV or two roars in, then back, then again. In some places you don't even want to camp alone, it's not safe anymore. The safest places I've seen that provided the most tranquility were those without road access, not even with ATV.

chrishaynesusa - 10-7-2017 at 10:55 AM

revised to include some suggestions.

Day Driving Mileage Lodging

Saturday 21 Drive to San Diego area/meet spot ??

Sunday 22 Drive To Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs 100 miles(38 miles off road) guadalupecanyonoasis

Monday 23 STAY IN Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs XX Guadalupe Canyon Oasis Hot Springs

Tuesday 24(Christmas Eve) Drive to San Felipe 90 miles(off road) San Felipe (10 miles north ) at http://petescamp.com/

Wednesday 25(Christmas) Stay San Felipe 54 miles San Felipe (10 miles north ) at http://petescamp.com/

Thursday 26(BoxerDay) Drive to Bahia de los angeles 205 miles CAMP/HOTEL

Friday 27 Drive to Punta San Francisquito 82 miles(off road) CAMP

Saturday 28 Drive to Mulege 199 miles(43 off road) CAMP/HOTEL

Sunday 29 Drive to Puerto Chale 222 miles CAMP/HOTEL

Monday 30 Drive to Cabo San Lucas Mexico 205 miles CAMP/HOTEL

Tuesday 31(NewYearsEve) Cabo San Lucas Mexico XX CAMP/HOTEL

Wednesday 1(New Years Day) Cabo San Lucas Mexico XX CAMP/HOTEL

Thursday 2 Drive to El Conejo 153 miles (on/off road) CAMP

Friday 3 Drive to Bahia Agua Verde 172 miles (37 miles offroad) CAMP

Saturday 4 Drive to Santa Rosalia 182 miles (25 offroad) CAMP/MOTEL

Sunday 5 Drive to Bahia Asuncion 190 miles (75 off road) CAMP/HOTEL

Monday 6 Stay in Bahia Asuncion XX CAMP/HOTEL

Tuesday 7 Drive to Guerrero Negro 117 miles CAMP/HOTEL

Wednesday 8 Drive to El Rosario (Boojum Trees) 224 miles CAMP/HOTEL

Thursday 9 Stay near El Rosario XX CAMP/HOTEL

Friday 10 Drive to Ensenada Mexico 155 Miles CAMP/HOTEL

Saturday 11 Drive to USA(tecate Border Crossing) 70 miles via MX3 CAMP/HOTEL

Sunday 12 Drive HOME ??

David K - 10-7-2017 at 11:10 AM

Pretty complete...
I might change the full day at Pete's Camp for a full day at Bahia de los Angeles, however. I guess that being Christmas Day, you may want to be non-mobile?
Have fun!!!

chrishaynesusa - 10-7-2017 at 11:16 AM

Thanks for everyone's help.

now to let the appropriate RV/campspot owners know we are coming in 2 years 74 days :):)

Disastrogirl - 11-29-2017 at 06:37 PM

I second David K's suggestion to spend the extra day in Bahia de los Angeles. It's a magical place.

yumawill - 11-29-2017 at 07:41 PM

Mileage isn't the problem. It's Mexican drunks per mile that is the problem. You should go hide in the desert till one week after New Years. Maybe then we won't find you having a yard sale on the side of hiway uno.

BajaBlanca - 11-29-2017 at 08:12 PM

Great that you are headed to Bahia Asuncion! stop by and say hi to Blanca and Les in La Bocana on the way. From santa rosalia visit SAN IGNACIO ( a must visit, even is just for 1/2 an hour), the take the exit west to punta abreojos and take Miguel domingues street and follow the salt flats to LA BOCANA. Eat at our wonderful beach Cabaña restaurant and then head to Bahia asuncion for fun fun fun!

Blanca

mtgoat666 - 11-29-2017 at 08:22 PM

Consider skipping Cabo and san Felipe, there are much better places to visit in Baja, Cabo and san Felipe are just yucky places. Add Catavina, la Paz, and san Ignacio and a day to see whales,

chrishaynesusa - 11-29-2017 at 08:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
...................................................................................................................................................... ...................................................................................................................................................... .......................................................................................

My Filter works!!!!!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 11-30-2017 by chrishaynesusa]

Franco - 12-4-2017 at 12:04 PM

Worked with former marine and army personnel in high stress jobs. No b-tching just the get it done attitude.

That was work.

This is a vacation though.

Good Luck with managing expectations.

A very helpful group of people reaching out to assist your convoy from Baja Nomad.

I toured people through Europe(The Dam,Deutsche Land, Swiss, Istria, Croatia, Italy and France several times, in ONE large Sedan or a Sports Coupe dependent upon the couple or two singles.

Best mode of travel was on the fly with no set destinations.

Crossed paths with British travelers on a tour bus through Morocco in 95 just outside of Fez.

All herded on a bus for the past four days and all hell was breaking out with another 10 days together in the near future.

Great Expectations!

At least you will have the solitude of your vehicle during the drive.

Bone up on your Spanish!

Cheers!

mtgoat666 - 12-4-2017 at 12:43 PM

...................................................................................................................................................... ...................................................................................................................................................... .......................................................................................

My Filter works!!!!!

Keep your head in the sand, ostrich boy!

bajatrailrider - 12-5-2017 at 06:24 PM

My Filter works!!!!!

Keep your head in the sand, ostrich boy!
LOOSER MT666 stupid tourist good thing no one listens to anything you say. You No nothing about Mexico or anything else.:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Ten Vehicle caravan

Aldervale - 12-5-2017 at 11:05 PM

Driving a caravan of Ten vehicles to Baha is utterly stupid.

Every aspect of your trip, from border crossing, to traffic safety, to restaurant, to finding fuel, will be compromised.

Why not just go to Moab where such groups are the norm ?

Aldervale

U2U

John M - 12-6-2017 at 06:33 AM

Chris - please check your u2u

John M

MulegeAL - 12-6-2017 at 08:46 AM

Chris,
Saturday 4,
Suggest you camp at one of the beaches south of Mulege on Bay of Conception and not stay in Santa Rosalia. There are beach bars/food easy to get.

Because after you drive by it on the way south vs the "views" at Santa Rosalia, guarantee your party will want to stop there on the way north!

chuckie - 12-6-2017 at 09:17 AM

Joke trip....Planning two years out for a 10 unit caravan? Stay home

Between Santa Rosalia and Mulegé...

David K - 12-6-2017 at 09:20 AM

There are a couple campgrounds just south of Santa Rosalia at San Lucas Cove (Km. 181.5 & 178). Then there are camping beaches at and near Punta Chivato, a few more miles south, before Mulegé (Km. 155.5 + 13 miles). Finally, Santa Ines is a beautiful sand beach (Km. 150 + 3 miles).

chuckie - 12-6-2017 at 09:26 AM

Santa Ines is a hotspot for thieves....

chrishaynesusa - 12-6-2017 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Aldervale  
Driving a caravan of Ten vehicles to Baha is utterly stupid.

Every aspect of your trip, from border crossing, to traffic safety, to restaurant, to finding fuel, will be compromised.

Why not just go to Moab where such groups are the norm ?

Aldervale

I expected some negative comments. Yours included. I have been to Moab many times. I have also driven 8K miles to Deadhorse and back. This is an overland trip with a very competent group.

Every-time my group goes out we almost always encounter someone who is broke down and was not prepared, we then proceed to help them with our existing supplies/tools/parts and get them on their way.

To be honest, what I was not prepared for on this forum is the level of vitriol of some of the members. From post calling me stupid to other post telling me not to come to Baja. What is it about a forum that seems to bring out the worst in people?

If you have nothing positive to contribute to my route planning then STFU.
This applies to MTgoat666 as well.

[Edited on 12-6-2017 by chrishaynesusa]

David K - 12-6-2017 at 09:40 AM

Chris, don't let the haters mess your plans. Please post a trip report when you return. Feel free to ask additional questions via u2u or email if I can help any: info at vivabaja.com.

David K - 12-6-2017 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Santa Ines is a hotspot for thieves....

A caravan of 10 should be safe. I drove in, saw the rancho next to the beach that had a large camping area then drove south 1/2 mile to a camping spot. Not a soul there. Crime can be anywhere so you need to decide if you let fear keep you from enjoying Baja. I camped alone dozens of times, all over Baja this year... in the boonies or unpopulated beaches and had 0 issues with banditos or bad cops.

Chris - check your email

John M - 12-10-2017 at 05:24 PM

Chris, I emailed you 5 or 6 days ago using the address you sent on a private message. Did you get it? Suppose it might have gone to spam or.....lost in space, still.

John M

JZ - 12-10-2017 at 05:37 PM

concerns me when people are planning their road trip in a spreadsheet. indicates uptight type A nervousness, such people aren't made for road tripping in a laid back way.

that said,...

skip san felipe, it is pretty dumpy place, poor quality beaches, not worth the time.

you mention going to el rosario for boojum trees. odd choice. scratch that and go to catavina area for boojums and boulders.

given length of your trip, I would pick 3 or 4 destinations, and then let the rest of the schedule be what it becomes (i.e. just a couple reservations around holidays, rest by seat of the pants)

Probably the best advice in this thread.

For sure skip San Felipe and Cabo. Neither are good. La Paz is way better than Cabo. Get out on the water in La Paz.

You definitely don't want to try to plan stuff out to the nth degree. One little thing will throw the whole plan off. And there's a 95% chance that happens. Much better to have a general idea what you want to do and allow for stuff to come up.

[Edited on 12-11-2017 by JZ]

JZ - 12-10-2017 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
LOOSER MT666 stupid tourist good thing no one listens to anything you say. You No nothing about Mexico or anything else.:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

He's an idiot 90% of the time, but he actual did say some stuff of value itt.

mtgoat666 - 12-10-2017 at 06:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

that said,...

Probably the best advice in this thread.

For sure skip San Felipe and Cabo. Neither are good. La Paz is way better than Cabo. Get out on the water in La Paz.

You definitely don't want to try to plan stuff out to the nth degree. One little thing will throw the whole plan off. And there's a 95% chance that happens. Much better to have a general idea what you want to do and allow for stuff to come up.

[Edited on 12-11-2017 by JZ]

Chris Haynes proved to be a whiny wanker. I now fully encourage him and his frat boys to stay in san Felipe and Cabo and not ruin the rest of baja for us.

chrishaynesusa - 8-21-2019 at 07:32 PM

4 months till departure.
I was surprised/not surprised that all the roads washed out.
the wife and i went to San Felipe after a hurricane came up the sea of Cortez in 96 or 97 and most of the roads had washed out.

attrition has taken the rig count down to 8 possibly 7.
which is entirely manageable, read David K latest trip report thorough as usual.

still need to call Shari and BajaBlanca and give and approximate date of arrival

Marc - 8-22-2019 at 10:06 AM

Good luck! A plan is good for a large group but stay flexible. It will be a great adventure for sure.
Ignore the negative haters on this forum. Take pictures and post
a trip report.

JZ - 8-22-2019 at 11:30 AM

What's your current itinerary? We'll probably be in BCS during that time.

[Edited on 8-22-2019 by JZ]

chrishaynesusa - 8-22-2019 at 12:22 PM

Will you be on motorcycles?
most of us carry tools/odds/ends/parts.....

[TABLE]Day [TABLE][B]Driving[/B] [B]Mileage[/B] [B]Gas[/B] [B]Lodging[/B]

Saturday 21 Drive to San Diego area/meet spot ?? yes

Sunday 22 Drive To Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs 100 miles(38 miles off road) No Guadalupe Canyon Oasis Hot Springs

Monday 23 STAY IN Guadalupe Canyon Hot Springs XX No Guadalupe Canyon Oasis Hot Springs

Tuesday 24(Christmas Eve) Drive to San Felipe 90 miles(off road) Yes San Felipe (10 miles north ) @ petescamp beach

Wednesday 25(Christmas) Stay San Felipe XX yes San Felipe (10 miles north ) @ petescamp beach

Thursday 26(BoxerDay) Drive to Bahia de los angeles 205 miles Yes CAMP/HOTEL @ archeloncamp

Friday 27 Drive to Punta San Francisquito 82 miles(off road) No CAMP @ Punta San Franciscquito

Saturday 28 Drive to Mulege(Playa Buenaventura) 199 miles(43 off road) Yes CAMP/HOTEL @ Playa Buenaventura

Sunday 29 Drive to Puerto Chale 222 miles Yes CAMP @ Beach

Monday 30 Drive to Cabo San Lucas Mexico 205 miles Yes HOTEL/Villa

Tuesday 31(NewYearsEve) Cabo San Lucas Mexico XX Yes HOTEL/Villa

Wednesday 1(New Years Day) Cabo San Lucas Mexico XX Yes HOTEL/Villa

Thursday 2 Drive to El Conejo 153 miles (on/off road) Yes CAMP @ Beach

Friday 3 Drive to Bahia Agua Verde 172 miles (37 miles offroad) Yes CAMP @ Beach

Saturday 4 Drive to Santa Rosalia 182 miles (25 offroad) Yes CAMP/HOTEL

Sunday 5 Drive to Bahia Asuncion 190 miles (75 off road) Yes CAMP/HOTEL
Monday 6 Stay in Bahia Asuncion XX Yes CAMP/HOTEL

Tuesday 7 Drive to Guerrero Negro 117 miles Yes CAMP/HOTEL

Wednesday 8 Drive to El Rosario (Boojum Trees) 224 miles Yes CAMP/HOTEL
Thursday 9 Stay near El Rosario XX Yes CAMP/HOTEL

Friday 10 Drive to Ensenada Mexico 155 Miles Yes CAMP/HOTEL

Saturday 11 Drive to USA(tecate Border Crossing) 70 miles via MX3 Yes CAMP/HOTEL
Sunday 12 Drive HOME ?? Yes

GPS track

John M - 8-22-2019 at 04:53 PM

Chris - some time ago I sent you a gps track from Mex 2 to Guadalupe Cyn, south on the dirt to Cohabuzzo, and then out on Highway 5 at KM 86.

Did you get it? do you have it, do you want it?

Might as well start off your adventure with 80 or so miles of dirt!

John M

JZ - 8-22-2019 at 05:13 PM

We'll be in a truck and have bikes.

You are hitting a lot of great spots. Biggest one you are missing is La Paz. Love that town.

Maybe too many folks for this trip. But if you come back again, there are a lot of epic trails going in from MX 1 to the coast around Constitution.

One of the bests is into San Evaristo (~60 miles) and then 60 miles down an easy dirt road into La Paz. Incredible drive/ride.

30 miles South of La Paz you can hit a coast run that goes down to Los Barriles. I'm gonna call that the best coastal drive in all of Baja. Just spectacular. The first 5 miles is pretty tough with straight switch backs, but after that it's easy, peasy. Hwy from there to Cabo.

chrishaynesusa - 8-22-2019 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
Chris - some time ago I sent you a gps track from Mex 2 to Guadalupe Cyn, south on the dirt to Cohabuzzo, and then out on Highway 5 at KM 86.

Did you get it? do you have it, do you want it?

Might as well start off your adventure with 80 or so miles of dirt!

John M

I remember talking with you about that and I seem to have misplaced the files you sent. could I humbly ask again?

same email?

John M - 8-22-2019 at 09:01 PM

You had sent me a comcast email address - still good?

Do you have an idea of what kind of gps you'll be looking at it on?

I'll also send it as a .kmz for googleearth.

John

chrishaynesusa - 8-22-2019 at 09:31 PM

I have three geocachers with me..
I can load an app that is the most popular and have Delorme 8, 9 and 10

email is still good

[Edited on 8-23-2019 by chrishaynesusa]

wilderone - 8-23-2019 at 06:40 PM

IMO, at the end, I think days could be better spent with more interesting places to stay. E.g., Santa Rosalia is good for a walk through town, check out the French hotel, get some bakery items, but find somewhere else to spend the night. Guerrero Negro is an Ok town, but not thrilling. Ask Shari about that ranch she knows about not too far from GN. Are you bringing toys? Kayaks, fishing poles, boogie boards? You can easily get from El Rosario to San Diego in a day. Possibly consider getting to Cielito Lindo RV park, hotel, campground, restaurant near San Quintin. I think a stop in La Paz, and sign up for a snorkel trip at Espiritu Islands should be on the list. And stay tuned for news of the whale watching season at Scammons Lagoon - it might be a little too early, but might be OK too - great campground there nevertheless, restaurant too. I believe the grounds will be open beginning of January.

chrishaynesusa - 8-23-2019 at 07:04 PM

Thank you for the suggestions.

Does anyone have a list of villages/roadside stops with tire repair capability?
(we do carry our own tire repair equipment,air compressors,plugs,patches,Spare tires, etc...)
it's just easier if there is a roadside repair facility close by.

From plugs, to patches, to sidewall repairs, to bead breaking and wheel/tire balancing?

Welders?

Engine repair points?

These would be nice to know items if something goes sideways :)

[Edited on 8-24-2019 by chrishaynesusa]

David K - 8-23-2019 at 07:29 PM

Most every village has a mechanic but I highly recommend you not take a vehicle that is questionable. If you are going into the boonies, get an inReach device and have a friend who can post here to get help for you.

JZ - 8-23-2019 at 07:58 PM

(we do carry our own tire repair equipment,air compressors,plugs,patches,Spare tires, etc...)

From plugs, to patches, to sidewall repairs, to bead breaking and wheel/tire balancing?

Welders?

Engine repair points?

There might be more tire shops in Baja than Taco places.

For GPS the best is either Gaia or Back Country Navigator apps running on your phone. Much better than standalone GPS. BCN is my go to, but Android only.

[Edited on 8-24-2019 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 8-23-2019 at 09:19 PM

Welders?

Engine repair points?

[Edited on 8-24-2019 by chrishaynesusa]

Just do it.. There is a tire repair and mechanic in every town, and even occasionally in the middle of nowhere.

Nobody is going to give you a list or map of mechanics and tire shops.

Just put on your big boy pants and drive on!

Lee - 8-24-2019 at 05:23 AM

Here's a thread for mechanics in Baja I started and not updated:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=57238

chrishaynesusa - 8-24-2019 at 08:32 AM

Thank you for the list.

bajaric - 8-24-2019 at 02:52 PM

Great thread. Almost a shame joe and fishsmut are gone, anyone else miss them?
I like the itinerary but have to say in Dec. the road to Guadalupe hot springs is either going to be muddy, or dusty. San Felipe is sometimes disparaged but a nice place also G Negro for a large group. I would skip Guadalupe hot springs, cross at Mexicali, stay in San Felipe, then motor down to Puertecitos to check out the hot springs. There are campgrounds there if you like what you see (bring your own poop bucket to empty later into the toilets provided) and then drive to G. Negro and points south. Catch San Francisquito and BOLA on the way back.

RocketJSquirrel - 8-25-2019 at 09:30 AM

Shari said: Just seeing that spreadsheet gave me the jitters

I agree! To me the whole point of being here is to relax, to slow down, to no longer stress over the details.

That said, I understand the need to plan ahead. Even I have to do it when friends visit (soon!).

Do try to slow down and smile at the local people, they are quite accepting of us - and most are very kind and gentle in dealing with us.

David K - 8-25-2019 at 09:36 AM

Having a wishlist is good... listed from north to south...
Just check them off as you see them... if you don't see them all, there is something for the next trip.

Jack Swords - 8-25-2019 at 09:40 AM

Sometimes getting lost in Baja can be the best part of the trip. Folks are welcoming and helpful and a great source of local info. Use your Spanish no matter how bad.

BajaRun - 8-25-2019 at 09:58 AM

10 Vehicles is 7 too many.

I just did 27 days solo in Baja in my Bronco. My itinerary was hour by hour. I went to every place I had driven by in the past when I was with a group in a Prerunner Buggy.

Solo trip was good but I think 2-3 vehicles is the perfect number.

This song by Johnnie Cash was on my playlist everyday as I explored new parts of Baja. I'll never accomplish everywhere in Baja but I'm trying..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoIfglXAbh0

[Edited on 8-25-2019 by BajaRun]

chrishaynesusa - 8-25-2019 at 01:11 PM

I am currently at 7 vehicles.
Possibly 6 by showtime.

Pages:  1