Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Last concert?
surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2024 at 10:45 AM

In the early 90's when I was flying back and forth from SD to Cabo on a monthly basis to pay rent, Sammy and his crew were in the first class cabin on Alaska Airlines. That two hour flight was entertaining with Sammy and his so hot women partying down behind the drawn, not sound-proofed, first class curtains.

Gawd, they were totally smoking, figuratively not literally, in a good way. Rock stars get the girls, as it has always been.

Oh, to see how hard they partied. Any passenger could hear them clearly though.

I recall stopping by his bar in Cabo at some point, more for the saying I had been there than for partaking in the festivities.

I was an East Cape inhabitant and thanked the stars that such had not invaded the East Cape at the time. I would like to imagine that East Cape magic remains. It is such a special place. Or was. haha

cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2024 at 03:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Joan Jet and the Blackhearts, Del Mar Fair a couple years ago.
My first concert was Lynyrd Skynyrd, San Diego in 1976.

I can't remember my last concert, it was a long time ago. But seeing David's post made me remember my first concert, which was Lynyrd Skynyrd at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino, March 1976 (possibly the same tour as when David saw them in San Diego). I didn't realize it until years and a number of concerts later, but because of the venue, that Skynyrd concert was possibly the best I ever saw (though I was more hyped for Zeppelin at the Forum in 1977). The Swing had a capacity of 10,000 and it felt much more intimate than anything else I can remember. Standing in front of Ronnie Van Zant like we were watching a local bar band. It was really something.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-28-2024 at 03:25 PM

Fats Domino- 1956, Tacoma

TRans Siberian Orchestra- 28 straight years, still going

Went to the Vegas NASCAR race every year and always did a show
15 straight

One year we saw Danny Gans...Mr Vegas, later that year Danny died
Next year Righteous Brothers, . later that year Bobby died
Following year Siegfried and Roy....later that year the tiger ate Roy

So I ask my racing buddy "Who do you want to see this year?"
Immediate answer "Barry Manilow"
(Barry lucked out, we passed)

Going to ELO in October here in Phoenix
digcolnagos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2024 at 08:16 AM

Remain In Light, with Adrian Belew and Jerry Harrison. In Cleveland. Last night.

My gosh.

Physical therapists, orthopedists, chiropractors and others engaged in like pursuits are getting rich today, for all the geriatric po-go'ing that went on.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-29-2024 at 11:51 AM

Of the concerts I was able to attend over the years, the one that stands out as being pitch perfect, error free, blow you away energy, was Chicago performing in Reno in the mid 70s.

I was also pleasantly surprised at the variety of styles presented by Steve Miller in a three-part concert in Berkley about the same time period. He did an acoustic set, another set with his studio back up musicians, and a third set with more of a big band back-up!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-29-2024 at 01:22 PM

The last concert was an aging Johnny Mathis at Humphey's By the Bay—it was her idea. OK, I'll go; he's excellent at what he does.

But the one early performance I'll always remember is Joe c-cker singing "With A Little Help From My Friends" in August 1969 at an outdoor venue in upstate New York. A few other performers were also there. Check it out, lots of soul and he plays a great air guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUVEFkjqiEE

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-29-2024 at 02:09 PM
Saw Johnny Mathis in 1962

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
The last concert was an aging Johnny Mathis at Humphey's By the Bay—it was her idea. OK, I'll go; he's excellent at what he does.

But the one early performance I'll always remember is Joe c-cker singing "With A Little Help From My Friends" in August 1969 at an outdoor venue in upstate New York. A few other performers were also there. Check it out, lots of soul and he plays a great air guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUVEFkjqiEE

It was in Seattle, part of the shows along with the World's Fair
It was a twin bill
Henry Mancini Orchestra was the other half
Mancini far out shined the young Mathis but it was all good
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2024 at 09:13 AM

Stray Cats August 3, 2024
Way fun. Iconic.

picture host
surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2024 at 12:06 PM

Anyone who survived the '60's music scene is to appreciated.

My first big music event, on a national basis, was Cream in Baltimore.MD in the fall of '68. My NC college girlfriend and I drove up to Baltimore on a Sunday afternoon.

The Moody Blues was the opening act. This concert was billed as the last Cream concert in the US. Whether that is the fact matters little to what my girlfriend and I were privileged to experience.

Train Time with Jack Bruce's hair flying off of his face blowing the harmonica, Ginger Baker had me looking for a second drummer with his double bass drums going off, and Eric, what can anyone say beyond, he was our guitar god.

The recent passing of John Mayall deserves every music lovers respect. He somehow brought artists together like few others. Providing a way forward in the world of music was and is a selfless act. Bravo.
surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2024 at 12:09 PM

Is to be or should be appreciated. My bad. Duh.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2024 at 05:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  

My first big music event, on a national basis, was Cream in Baltimore.MD in the fall of '68. My NC college girlfriend and I drove up to Baltimore on a Sunday afternoon.

The Moody Blues was the opening act. This concert was billed as the last Cream concert in the US. Whether that is the fact matters little to what my girlfriend and I were privileged to experience.

Train Time with Jack Bruce's hair flying off of his face blowing the harmonica, Ginger Baker had me looking for a second drummer with his double bass drums going off, and Eric, what can anyone say beyond, he was our guitar god.

The recent passing of John Mayall deserves every music lovers respect. He somehow brought artists together like few others. Providing a way forward in the world of music was and is a selfless act. Bravo.

I saw cream at the Fillmore west. The part i remember most was Ginger Baker vomiting while never missing a beat on the drums
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2024 at 08:04 AM
The Fillmore West.....

That was where I attended my first rock concert. It was Lee Michaels and his drummer Frosty performing and was quite an experience for me.

My brother was the one who talked me into the trip to S.F. He was in a wheelchair after a diving accident, and handicap access was not a thing in those days so getting him up the stairs and through a crowd was a challenge!

[Edited on 8-5-2024 by AKgringo]

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2024 at 12:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

I saw cream at the Fillmore west. The part i remember most was Ginger Baker vomiting while never missing a beat on the drums

You mean The Fillmore. They never played Fillmore West. 8 shows between The Fillmore and Winterland, 8/67, and 3/68. They were at their peak. By November, they were history.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
stillnbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2024 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

You mean The Fillmore. They never played Fillmore West. 8 shows between The Fillmore and Winterland, 8/67, and 3/68. They were at their peak. By November, they were history.

they've passed the torch...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/sons-of-cream-rises-to-...
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2024 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
That was where I attended my first rock concert. It was Lee Michaels and his drummer Frosty performing and was quite an experience for me.

[Edited on 8-5-2024 by AKgringo]

Frosty is long dead and Mr Michaels wouldn't hear a 12 gauge going off behind his head - stone deaf. I saw him 2 or 3 times and without a doubt, the loudest concert I was ever at. Frosty did a mean drum solo with just his hands.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2024 at 12:17 PM

By the Way - look who is still #1, here

Saw them at the Bakerfield Civic Auditorium in 1968. Seeing TF in two weeks. 2 seats in 1968 about $5; 2 seats now, about $1k:lol::lol:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2024 at 08:31 PM
Ever hear of RaeLynn?

Apparently, she is an up-and-coming country singer who is performing as I write this at the Nevada County Fairgrounds.

I am not at the concert, but my house is close enough to the fairgrounds that I can follow the beat and hear the crowd noise (it is outdoors).

She must not be too famous because VIP tickets are only $65, and general seating is $35.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2024 at 07:43 PM

David is son of John Raitt. His sister is Bonnie. He's in Pescadero in the Winter and plays locally, living down the road from me. Gavilan area. He's Paul's neighbor.

Peter Rivera (original Rare Earth drummer) rocks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2xwiksEVQ

[Edited on 8-21-2024 by Lee]

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2024 at 10:24 AM

How could I forget the Phreakers? They are a quartet of pre-teens out of Portland, Maine. The drummer is the son of friends of ours, and the showcase of nearly 40 bands back in May was our last concert.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.