Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The first ever CROSSING SOUTH FESTIVAL AUG. 24, 2024
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-20-2024 at 09:14 AM
The first ever CROSSING SOUTH FESTIVAL AUG. 24, 2024

Jorge Meraz, host of KPBS TV's 'Crossing South' along with Baja Bound Insurance presents the 1st Annual Crossing South Food, Wine and Travel Festival to be held at Liberty Station in San Diego.

Get all the details: https://www.crossingsouthfestival.com/

The event will feature over 60 booths and include food and wine tasting terrace, live music, guest speakers, and giveaways!

Indulge in food and wine of Baja curated by a stellar ensemble of visionary chefs from the region. Enjoy the magic of Baja's famous Baja-Med cuisine amidst the ambiance of live music, insights from travel aficionados, and an unparalleled selection of Baja's finest wines and craft brews.

Featuring cuisine from the following confirmed chefs and restaurants:

Amores (Chef Marselo Hisaki)

Hacienda de Badu (Chef Josefina Sanchez)

Casa Tijuana (Chef Juan Cabrera)

Chef Martin Guerrero

Cerveceria Transpeninsular

Fuego Marino (Chef Jorge Fuentes)

La Justina (Chef Javier Caro)

Pastel de Crepas (Chef Martin San Roman)

Peregrino (Chef Danny Betancourt)

Seki (Chef Oliver Seki)

Xaroma (Chef Michelle Aiko)

Alma Verde (Chef Leobardo Valencia) )

Mariscos Cata

Fuego Mixto

Rosarito Beach Hotel

Sunio Beach Club

​Corona del Valle

Casa de Langosta

Brocha (Chef Rodolfo Luviano)

Fuego Santo (Chef David Alarcon)

Booths from the following Baja travel exhibitors:

Agave Expeditions

Amor Ministries

Baja Bliss BnB

Baja Fishing Convoys

Baja Surf Club

Barbers for Baja

Black Bass Lodge

Cobian

CVRD Canopies

David Kier - Land of Missions

Edie Littlefield Sundby - The Mission Walker

Horsepower Ranch

International Health Solutions

Lost In Baja

Rancho Cacachillas

Salsa Sinaloa

Sandy Vans

Scorpion Bay Hotel

Slow Baja

The Fish Ranch

Wildcoast

August 24, 2024
@Ingram Plaza in Liberty Station, San Diego CA

[Edited on 8-24-2024 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2024 at 10:19 AM

Top of my list would be to meet some guy by the name of David Kier, whoever he is.

Not sure at the moment if I will make it down next Sat. but my thoughts will be with all of those Baja lovers taking part.

I do watch Jorge's Crossing South, even the repeat broadcasts that never get old.

That man can eat! Actually closer to shoveling at times. Thank you Jorge.

Thank you David.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2024 at 06:50 PM

Big outdoor venue. Tons of people at the wine booths, not so great in the Baja Travel area. But, still enjoyed talking Baja with people and seeing past show friends. Ric Rust and I sold a few books, too. Saw Maderita, Wilderone, Mexico Ted, and other Nomads, too.

[Edited on 8-25-2024 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2024 at 10:36 AM

Now I can say I was at the FIRST Crossing South / Baja Bound festival. Whoo hooo It was fun to sit next to DK and listen as he dispensed his encyclopedic knowledge of the missions and general Baja lore to passersby. Saw Jorge Meraz making the rounds, a jovial energetic personality, remarkably light on his feet especially considering the quantities of Mexican cuisine he regularly ingests on the PBS show.

Took a quick stroll around the venue, the usual culprits were in attendance, off road conversions, Baja tour companies, etc. Wildcoast also had a booth. Spoke to them and they said that their organization has acquired land along the "seven sisters" coastline for the purposes of conservation, a worthy cause. It is a race to see who is going to buy up all the ejido land, conservation efforts are competing with giant mining conglomerates, electric utilities, etc. with some deep pockets. Hopefully Mexico will show a little backbone and keep the industrialists out of the large areas that have already been dedicated as "biosphere reserves".

The highlight of the event was definitely the food. Amazing display of some foodie delights; small plates of Ceviche, oysters, meats, wines spread out over about 20 booths. However, there was a dearth of seating and shade; the booths formed a U shaped area and the participants stood on the grass in the middle with the sun beating down on them. There was a little seating in front of the stage. However, the music was so loud that even at our booth way down on the opposite end of the venue normal conversation was difficult so anyone that was in front on the stage must have really liked loud techno / Mex music. Live band was pretty good, songs were in Spanish with some heavy metal-ish overtones. Overall a fun day.
bajaric aka Jens Tobias (aka Ric Rust on FB)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2024 at 11:34 AM

Nice review, bajaric!

Here are the 13 photos I took with a few links included: https://vivabaja.com/2024-crossing-south-festival/

My photos were taken mostly before the event was open or the booths were all set up... to read captions under most photos, see them on the linked page: https://vivabaja.com/2024-crossing-south-festival/

For those who don't go to links, photos without captions, except the final one:

The Cali-Baja Cuisine book author Mike Gardner and his wife, and Jens Tobias (aka Ric Rust or ‘bajaric’), author of The Gold of Northern Baja sat on either side of me.

[Edited on 8-25-2024 by David K]

surfhat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2024 at 12:45 PM

Seeing some of those 'mini-trucks' reminds me of the time I passed Pat Curren headed the opposite way north in the Valle de Cirios in his open aired VW Thing. !!!!!!!!

If there ever was a more tough character who thrived on adverse conditions to live the simple life, it was Mr. Curren.

He was a master craftsmen in whatever pursuit he sought.

I last saw him in an Encinitas parking lot while his other half shopped for groceries. I can only hope the respect I had always expressed came through from our shared surf times on the East Cape.

Maybe next year for the Crossing South celebration. In the meantime, thanks to Jorge and our own David.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.