Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Update on the La Bocana Oaxacan family
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2024 at 11:06 PM
Update on the La Bocana Oaxacan family

Most of you probably remember the family with 7 kids that we helped move from the dump to a home. Here is a pic from this past June.

This week some of you helped them with school supplies for the upcoming 2024-25 school year, so here are some of the photos! It was so expensive. Wherever you live in Mexico, please consider taking crayons, copy paper, and backpacks etc. to donate.

Here they are in the store with the school supplies, with Mom.

Now, the deal is that all the kids have to keep their grades up in order to be helped. Mom and Dad understand that requirement.

Emmanuel, who just finished 7th grade, got the HIGHEST GPA in his class! This puts a knot in my throat since pre-COVID he was bullied in class. we had him tutored during COVID, which put him ahead of the game. Guess what? No one bullies him now!

Dad and Emmanuel

Saul got third highest GPA in his class!

Saul and his teacher

The other 4 kids did well according to their teachers. I have not seen their grades yet.

We also were able to get them uniforms thanks to Phil - as soon as those come in, I will share another post.

Thanks every single one of you!!!!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2024 at 11:14 PM

That is great! Thank you, Blanca! Those smiles are priceless
baja-chris
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2024 at 07:00 AM

Making the world a better place, one familia at a time. Good on ya.
pjpvi
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2024 at 08:39 AM

It's been great watching this family grow over the last few years. You make a real difference in peoples lives Blanca! I can't wait to see what the future holds for all of them.
BoenBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2024 at 09:06 AM

Hi Blanca & Les! Hope you’re both doing well across the big pond! Do you have the contact info on the folks who are managing your place in LB? I met a lady there who was taking care of your place when I dropped off school supplies a while back I can’t remember her name and don’t have her contact info. Shelley and I will go by our local dollar store (great place for cheap school supplies, btw) and pick up some stuff, but Shelley would like to know the gender and ages of the kids so we can buy appropriate supplies. Also I bought a case of paper from Costco so I can take down a couple of reams of printing paper if needed. I won’t be going down for a few months, so no hurry.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2024 at 10:56 PM

Hi all! It is thannks to ALL of you that this family no longer lives in the dump. When I think back to all the effort it took to get them this far, it is amazing.

Sidebar - one of the La Bocana locals who went above and beyond to help me get running water to Tidiana and the family was Cristian, the La Bocana SAPA guy. This past May he asked for $30 dollars to get his son a baseball uniform. One hand washes the other and I sent the money! Important to keep kids involved in sports.

I had no idea Niall was so good and actually wants to play professionally one day! Now the boy has a chance to go to the mainland and play nationally, representing the LA BOCANA MINERITOS. Not my focus (which is 100% education) but if anyone wants to help sponsor the US$1000 he needs to cover the flight, meals and hotel, I will Happily forward the money. His Name isNiall #11 on the list.

ARTICLE

Back to Paul and Shelley! The neighbors NACHO AND LINDA (615)
107-6954 are the managers of our hotel. Their daughter Sannia cleans it. They live in the house next door to the hotel.

You should go out and meet Tidiana, Abraham and the kids! It is easy to get to their house.

A couple of reams of paper would be truly helpful. My most urgent need is heavy duty backpacks. 4 for boys and 2 for girls - gender neutral would be best. I will post ages of each child later.

Thanks everyone, thanks thanks thanks.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2024 at 09:48 PM

Here are their ages

Emmanuel 14
Jireth 13
Isaac 11
Imail 10
Genesis 9
Saul 8
Adel Hasan 4

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.