Author: Subject: Cabo San Lucas Angler Licenses
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 08:30 AM

I think that's what I said!
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 08:36 AM

PS - Pam - we are required to have a valid license on board for every person - including the grandma whose only purpose is to take a photo of the 8 year old reeling in a fish .. And we have lots of youngsters below the age of 16 who are incredible anglers! The way I understand it, if a boat has any fishing equipment on board (and the only ones I know of that dont are the booze cruisers) then a license is required for each and every passenger since each has the ability to reel in a fish. I say for the $11 or so it costs per person it just in not worth the potential repercussion/s for not having it .. The youngest angler we had, and we have the photos too on our website, was 8 year old Fabian Sanz - who visited us this past November with his father Cesar who believes strongly in the Father and Son bond. Look at page (5) of our Client Photos to see young Fabian in action.
Yes indeed Pam, I gulp every time we have to hand over those large sums of dinero - but sometimes (and happily) we do need them for the coming weeks period - and also keep extra on hand (as we are permitted to do, for those guests that decide "Today at 6pm" they would like to fish "Tomorrow"
OK - bye for now! LG
bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 08:42 AM

Maybe this will clarify the debate on fishing licenses. Today there is an article in Western Outdoor News, it's about permits, licenses, and tourist cards. It states that according to the Mexican Dept. of Fisheries, the license to fish in Mexican waters does not apply on commercial boats. The laws applicable to commercial vessels is different than on private sportsfishing boats. These rules also apply to boats leaving from U.S. waters. Your sportsfishing license is basically null and void after you step on a charter boat.

Everyone on board where there is fishing equipment, must have a license.

No boat permits required on kayaks or small boats UNLESS there is fishing equipment on board. Then you must have a fishing license and boat permit.

All this info is in the latest Western Outdoor News in the Baja sportsman guide page 14.

If you want to have fun it's gonna cost you, just like everywhere else...hope this helps...Gary

[Edited on 5-5-2005 by bajaloco]

Carry an Organ Donor card. You could save someone\'s life... http://www.organdonor.gov
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 09:08 AM

while I enjoy and respect Western Outdoor News I will do what the Mexican Dept. of fisheries says. they are the ones you deal with down here.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 09:34 AM
Curioser and curioser

So, Pam. If I come by and want to go fishing, do I have to buy a special license besides my Mexican fishing license to go on one of your boats?
Lori ? I guess that's what you have been saying?:?::?::?:

Must be Mexico or something!!:lol:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
So, Pam. If I come by and want to go fishing, do I have to buy a special license besides my Mexican fishing license to go on one of your boats?
Lori ? I guess that's what you have been saying?:?::?::?:

Must be Mexico or something!!:lol:

I dont think so Jr..

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 10:03 AM

Just a quick clarification on what BajaLoco posted.

A Commercial vessel is defined as any vessel that catches fish to sell on the open market.

A charter vessel is NOT a commercial vessel, therefore your fishing license IS valid (not withstanding the opinoin of the local athorities that particular day, of course) on a charter vessel.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 10:14 AM

Before this thread runs out I'd like to make it clear that fishing licenses serve more than one purpose. They are a source of revenue that may or may not sustain the fisheries. In many places they are employed to set restrictions, lay out the rules of the road for the holder -- areas, times, methods, equipment, limits, sizes, specie, etc. In the almost 40 years I've been fishing the Sea of Cortez I've been asked to show my license many times but I have never seen the inspectors check my equipment or my catch. Now I INSIST they check my catch -- I want to remind them what the license SHOULD BE FOR.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 12:31 PM

Before this thread started I was sure I understood the who/what/where of licences - now I know nothin'.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 01:09 PM

In Loreto you will need to have a "day" wristband to be on the waters around the Loreto National Park. This has to be purchased here in Loreto from the office, or from a local charter operator as part of your package.
Only exemptions are for "local" residents or (ie FM-3 w/ local address).
We were checked on the water yesterday, as the park rangers went from boat to boat to see erveryone's papers.;)
This is in addition to your current fishing licenses talked about in the above thread.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-7-2005 at 09:13 AM
The wristband

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
In Loreto you will need to have a "day" wristband to be on the waters around the Loreto National Park. This has to be purchased here in Loreto from the office, or from a local charter operator as part of your package.
Only exemptions are for "local" residents or (ie FM-3 w/ local address).
We were checked on the water yesterday, as the park rangers went from boat to boat to see erveryone's papers.;)
This is in addition to your current fishing licenses talked about in the above thread.

Tijereta you were checked for the wristband because you were fishing inside the confines of the park. So far the park says that if you fish OUTSIDE the park then you do not need to buy one. Catch anything out there yesterday?
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2005 at 09:17 AM
Then call the Loreto PESCA office yourself

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Sheesh, I was just trying to help Pam. Didn't mean to ruffle you or your cohorts feathers. I would say that this is a crock and that you two obviously know more than the Mexican Fishing Dept.:lol::lol::lol:

So then, when I or someone is out fishing and get asked for the Mexican Fishing License, I show it to them and they say it isn't any good here, what happens then.:lol:

I wasn't tyring to be mean nor were my feather ruffled. You, above all others, should know that selective enforcement is the norm not the ordinary down here.

Loreto Pesca office, speak with Rosalia the secretary
011-52-613-135-1288
I trust that you speak Spanish. I can't guarantee what they'll say as they seem to change policy day to day.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2005 at 09:18 AM
Wow Lori, what words-

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
Good day greetings all ...
JR - I do think you enjoy stirring up a good pot-o-stuff .. not that I dont enjoy the banter you create once in a while - its an interesting break from the realities of my day ... and not that I dont think what you do isnt more often than not incredibly good hearted and deep rooted in the goodness done ...
Pam - I have always admired you and sent you private emails to that effect - Now the Nomad World knows too .. & heres why: Being a business owner/operator and a female and an american too requires nearly unimaginable tenacity, intelligence, diligence (both due and absolutely necessary and continuous followup) and larger than life patience. Keeping the business operating has its own set of 'issues' .. Keeping crews working has several perspectives to consider: Getting them work, and alos getting the TO work .. people whose soul history of tradition comes from generations and who are sometimes fine with a fish and a beer every once in a while .. vs the idea of getting up every day and working ... Now of course not every one falls within either category as that is the beauty of human-being-ness. Point being there are challenges beyond the obvious that we deal with regularly, and, for myself, until we began operating a business in Cabo in 1994 I did not consider, nor care about, any of 'these' issues.
I am going to try and address as many spoken as well as insinuated issues as I can.
As to who checks the licneses Durango: Every day we encounter something 'new'. At 6am, the Port Captain 'usually' has a manned aboat at the marina departure and every boat must hand in to that person a document (we call this a dispatch) and on this document is the name of every person aboard, including crew. Sometimes the PC Office shares this boat with someone from the PESCA office and one or both of them can, at their discretion, ask for Angler Licenses and/or any other document for that matter. Any boat not having any document asked for can be sent back to get it, or them. There are days this boat is not where it is supposed to be, and, sometimes it arrives later .. go figure ... There are also times when the Navy sets up 'shop' and randomly, or perhaps deliberately, selects boats to check. I am not privvy to know who gives them directives as to who or when to check boats - here again all I hear is WHEN it is happeneing in the marina, as news travels fast - However, because we at CABO MAGIC follos ALL the rules we are give to follow, we dont flinch or worry about these events - we do however, feel badly for guests and visitors, who are a oftentime understandably unnerved about a 'teenager with an AK47' standing in front of them while another teenager reviews paperwork. Sort of like that first experience at a Military Checkpoint - its certainly not something one would experience in the USA (I know there are even going to be arguments made here for cases where folks get pulled over by a control freak patrol officer in the boonies of some town who causes some heart palpitations) but it is something one eventually gets used to, especially those who travel the Baja Pensinsula with any regularity.
And now on to The Dept of Fisheries document - "Fishing licenses are issued for periods of one week, one month, and one year, effective at 12:01 am on the starting date specified on the license application." So how come we all get to sell DAILY licenses?
Peace y'all. Gotta get to work.
And, on behalf of our staff and all crews, we look forward to having you in our beautiful paradise of Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico where the sunshine, crystallline waters, and tropical beauty awaits you!

Cordially, Lori Garcia

Tommy & Lori Garcia's
CABO MAGIC Sportfishing Keeping it reel ?

This is a WOMAN in business in Mexico for sure. You're preaching to the choir on all this. I too don't worry when "they're out checking boats" because we have nothing to be worried about. All ducks the are in order.
pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 5-7-2005 at 09:54 AM

Lori said that she told me I could check with the Pesca office and let them decide only after numerous emails from her saying that I must buy a license to fish on her boats and using her favorite line ....."we do not make the rules, we only follow them", without giving a good explanation. When i persisted and posted something on the board to gain information, she said I could come down and ask the Pesca office. It's not the $11 dollars its the principle that im not gonna be screwed over like the thousands of other gringos in the past. I understand its mexico and anything goes, but Im gonna spend my money on a company that knows their chit, not one that does not have any idea about how fishing licenses work telling me "Ethan, if you have a California fishing license and you went to morro bay to fish, you would have to get a stamp there too". Im not some idiot and I know you only need a stamp for lobster and shellfish in California. Instead of finding out exactly why the pesca office does not honor a year long mexican fishing license bought in Loreto, she said that i could come and check it out myself. Great business ethic. I know Lori is probably peeed off that I posted something, but havent we all learned alot from this? And will things not change? Maybe, Maybe not
Best of luck to Pam because I enjoyed my time fishing on her pangas in Loreto, and best of Luck to Cabo Magic.
Cheers,
Ethan
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 03:15 PM

Latest in the ongoing Fishing/Angler License saga out of Cabo San Lucas: As every boat departs the marina all papers are checked - including boat license, dispatch, and angler licenses. Daily licenses get an "X" scrawled on them by whomever is checking them .. so far nothing done to weekly or annual licenses.

Lori
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-12-2005 at 09:23 AM
On the issue of licensing for commercial vessels....

.......enforcement officials in much of Mexico are treating the "long-range" sportfishing industry departing from US as commercial vessels, even though they do not sell their catch commercially.

All of the long-range operators will tell you that your personal Mexican fishing license is NOT valid in Mexican waters on their boats.

So the definition of a commercial fishing vessel as one that sells it's catch is being "interpreted" in yet another fashion by various Mexican officials.

Can any of you really blame Pam or Lori for simply stating that they will comply with the wishes (whims) of the local enforcement office? They have much to lose, while you only have a day or two of fishing inconvenienced. If I were in their situation, I'd send persons questioning the policies right to the source of the problem....the PESCA officials. Don't ask them to explain why Cabo officials have decided a federal license valid in all waters of Mexico have decided it's not good enough for them! They are not lawyers; they are women trying to conduct business in a country that has taken the concept of "good 'ol boys network" to amazing extremes, even by American standards. HOW EXASPERATING (AND TYPICALLY MEXICO) FOR THE PESCA OFFICIALS TO BE OUT OF THE LOOP IN TERMS OF COLLECTION AND ENFORCEMENT.

This is yet another example of how the poor organization of government continues to cost Mexico bigtime. Just this week, figures for tourism in Mexico in 2004 were released......and they showed a modest increase of about 3%. But compared to much of the rest of Latin American and other areas of the globe, it was considered a poor showing, especially when you consider the proximity to the US. The article I read pointed to the "unofficial" costs of doing business in Mexico making it much more expensive than it need be. Without the increases, Mexico should have experienced an increase of two or three times what it experienced.

IMO, that port captain's job in Cabo is about as crooked as a drug cartel's chief. What's next, a fee per fish returned to the harbor!:fire:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.