Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Bahia Santa Maria?
baja829
Nomad

Mood: BAJA HAPPY

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 04:29 PM

Best fishing at Santa Maria even from the shore and also at KM 40, Cielito Lindo.
bbbait
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 04:40 PM

I too appreciate the input! Only enhances info on the subject. We were at Percebu last weekend and got to see that "junket" that is beached there. I had previously read about it on another post here on Nomads and it was interesting to drive down the beach and see it in person. Kids were coming into the bar with buckets of clams they had just dug up out on the bare beach while the water was draining out of the bay. Nice area around there and everyone was friendly.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja829
Best fishing at Santa Maria even from the shore and also at KM 40, Cielito Lindo.

That is a different Bahia Santa Maria... As I mentioned earlier, there are so many in Baja, alone!:biggrin:

But, no reason not to thank you for the good fishing report... even if from the other side of the peninsula!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 07:16 AM

Here's a "splinter" thread for ya.......Folks - my Gigante mapas de baja, referenced above via the "annointed one":smug:....(sorry DK, just too funny to resist!) are still very much available, just shipped one out yesterday.

you can find more info on older classifieds here, just do a search as the thread is deep in the past. But, alas - the mfgr has upped the price and i have had to raise correspondingly to $59.95 includes UPS ground anytown, USA. Ok, shameless plug over.....:light:

Also, this factoid just in off the Screaming Airlines hi-speed news wire:

One Mr. Seeum A. Cummin, a partner/owner co-developer of the Shell Beach residential lots development adjacent to Punta Chivato, north of Mulege, has purportedly begun a name and marketing change to "Shell Island" in an attempt to spur sagging lot sales.

According to his statement and press release, "Well, let's face it, an island has much more 'location' drama than does a beach. So, i figure we'll get more gringo $$ by promoting it as such".

It is not known at this time what the locals reaction will be, although several have lodged major protests and a few sit ins. stay tooned.....:yawn::yawn::yawn:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 08:55 AM

Oh jeeeze!:lol::lol::lol:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 11:38 AM

Capt. Mike - that was freek'n hilarious! :lol::lol::lol:
Bob H
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
-------and after seeing that long sandbar in David's aerial photo, I can say without reservation that what I am looking at is a "barrier island"------that is the technical geographical term. It does not have to be totally surrounded by water to be classified as a "barrier island". Many of the "barrier islands" along the SE USA coast are very similar to this Baja island.

When responding to the posts on the "todays posts" forum, it is impossible to tell what specialty forums they came from, or so it seems to me.

I welcome ANY posts that have to do with increasing our understanding of Baja, or the folks that visit it, or live there------I believe that David's post always meet this criteria--------I have never been annoyed by any of David's posts.

Interesting that you would base your decision as a GEOGRAPHER on seeing one photo of the SANDBAR (your term) and conclude that it qualifies as a barrier island. And this conclusion is reached without even knowing the state of the tides at the time of the photo.

It is NOT a barrier island. A barrier island is an ISLAND, by definition. The time that "Shell Island" is actually an island is probably a total of less than 100 hours a month and some months it NEVER becomes an island.

Of course there's still nothing preventing you and David from calling it Shell Island or attempting to turn this into common useage. Have at it. Even I use it, occasionally, for convenience.
People play fast and loose with definitions of islands all the time. Witness the proprietor of Shell Beach in Mike's post.

But don't justify it, "scientifically", based on seeing ONE AERIAL PHOTO.

I also welcome any posts that increase our understanding of Baja. Yours fall short of that mark, IMO. Your conclusion ignores the on-scene evidence.

It would be like calling the anvil-shaped peninsula with the lighthouse on Punta Santa Ines an island simply because, at certain tides and under certain wave heights, it becomes an island.

But it is not, geographically, a barrier island. It falls far short of the definition.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 01:54 PM
Hi, HOOK-----

Well---------as a Geographer, you sent me back to the books, which is good. (it's been a long time)

From what I can determine, we both are wrong, technically speaking, me more than you. In Lobeck's "Geomorphology" they don't even define "barrier Island", suggesting that the term is a mis-nomer. I then checked "Websters Unabridged Dictionary" and there is no mention of a "barrier island", so your point is well taken.

I spent two years on the "Outer Banks" of North Carolina, and they locally refer to these "banks" as "Barrier Islands", even tho several of them are never technically "islands". This is what led me to my knee-jerk comments, and for that I appologize.

As a pilot, I am totally satisfied in my ability to interpret aerial photos, especially since I have taken several college classes in "aerial photo interpretation", and also I spent 2 years landing my seaplane in and about the Outer Banks, all of which are very similar to this sandbar some call "Shell Island", but on a much grander scale------I also have camped many many times on the beaches below San Felipe, but you do not seem comfortable with that, and I can understand that as you don't know me from Adam.

I will try to be more careful with my knee-jerk reactions------they do get me in trouble, from time to time.

The real bottom line is that this particular sandbar (technically known as a "barrier bar") near Percebu is really a jewel, and we all should try and spend some time there, if for no other reason than to just "chill out". What do you think?:yes:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 03:41 PM
Yeah, I do need to get back there.....

....I now have a co-worker who is building a house at Bahia Santa Maria, just south. Probably will visit it in the next year.

The area is nice, no doubt. I wonder if the crude causeway is still there that allows direct access from the main road, without driving the beach from Percebu? Maybe David knows......
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 04:04 PM

The "crude causway" is still there as of a month or so ago. Eroding a little more each year. But I heard someone was going to do some development stuff there soon????

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 06:52 PM

El Dorado has bladed a new access road in... it leaves Hwy. 5 north of the Km. 26 'Shell Island' driveway, heads south-east, crossing the Shell Island road through the dunes and out twards the mud flats.

There is an El Dorado sign just past the northern most house at Bahia Santa Maria... The end is near amigos!:O:rolleyes::(:wow:

Hook, the causeway is melted down pretty bad... most of the way in across the mud flats is aparallel to the causeway with the east end by the concrete bridge splasing through water (except at the smallest moon phases, when the 'island' is not surrounded by water)...

By the way, here in San Diego we have a Harbor Island, Shelter Island, and Coronado Island... all of them are not surrounded by water... just mostly... :yes: Hey, it's just my pet name for a great place... and it is more romantic than 'Beach'.

Viva Shell Island!;D

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.