BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: A very BAD report from Loreto!
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 6-24-2007 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley

Only here on Baja Nomad do I see this "keep your mouth shut" attitude.

I have heard this "attitude" verbalized in TS by gringo's and Mexicans alike. It is always
in the context that perhaps the locals would be more apt to get involved in solving their
problems if they did not know that sooner or later the gringo"s would step in and solve the problem(usually just a temporary solution!), usually by throwing money at it.
In TS we have a huge problem with the funding of our local bomberos. The gringo community have largely been funding them thru some fund raising programs. Many of the locals beleive that we should stay out of it and let La Paz take care of the funding....:?::?: maybe they are right.

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 10:12 AM

"Your accuser would have no trouble proving that your activities were political in nature. "
The accuser would have to be federal agents, they must take you to the migra office, present the evidence, and provide transportation out of the country. Simple fingerpointing and opinions would not be adequate proof. Attending a meeting about a boat marina, or even having a heated discussion about where to launch a boat is not a political activity warranting deportation. I knew a couple people who were set up in order to get them deported. A woman encountered a political rally and hung around out of curiosity, and someone asked her to hold her sign so she could use the toilet facilities. Later in the day, her truck had been broken into and some personal documents stolen. Later still, she was contacted by federal migra, taken to the migra office, and there, they showed her photos of herself holding political signs in a group of people. That was their "proof." She was deported with the clothes on her back, air flight to McAllan TX. This was during the time of Zapatista village raids and they were clearing out all foreigners one way or another. A lot of backlash occurred after those 15 or so deportations which occurred within about 6 weeks. After a year or so they were pardoned. And there was a lot of support of Amnesty Intl, the US Embassy, senators, etc. which aided in support.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 11:27 AM

Thanks, Amir, but I really don't need a lecture. I am capable of reading and interpreting law, and I never go off "half-c-cked". I always, or at least mostly (!!!!) consider the consequences of any of my actions. I have a long history of working with community based organizations both in the US and in Central America, and I think I know how and where to draw lines.

The comments made by Marie-Rose deserve some serious discussion. I have seen the dynamics of small towns in Central America seriously changed and damaged because of a few north americans or europeans who just wanted to help someone, and failed to leave their lady bountiful attitudes at home. If you don't work through local government, schools, clinics, churches, and grass roots organizations, you are interpreting need through your own lens and not the community.

This thread has done some serious morphing!!!!
wakemall
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 07:06 PM

OH BOY!!!!

I am not going to question anything with regards to how the people in Loreto repair the ramp, or the streets. Just going to work around all the issues with a smile on my face. I will find a way (with the help of Loreto people) to put the boat in the water and enjoy a good day fishing.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 07:59 PM

Monday night: They say at the marina 5-6 more days until the ramp opens.

wakemall
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2007 at 10:10 PM

Thank you everyone for the updates.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Monday night: They say at the marina 5-6 more days until the ramp opens.

why is it still closed? looks done to me
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-27-2007 at 04:51 PM

concrete isn't "hard" just because you can't carve your name in it....

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2007 at 09:05 PM

Thursday, 6/28...

Now they say five more days, maybe ten days for larger boats.

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 07:42 PM

The launch ramp at the Loreto Marina was re-opened today. YIPPEE!! Beach launghing was fun but it appears as though this will be a better option especially for larger boats. so far no charge to use it. back to business :yes:
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2007 at 10:02 PM

Saturday...

DSC_0030.jpg - 43kB

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2007 at 06:33 PM

The photo above is when the tide had come in looks like an early afternoon shot but unfortunately the ramps base just barely touches water on a really low tide like we've been having at launch time in the mornings lately (yesterday, today, manana..) and there's a big hole at the base so your trailer tires sink into it and your trailer frame bumps and gouges the cement at the waterline. Already the cement is damaged there and this is from putting boats IN the water, just wait until the low tide occurs at take-out time. Unfortunately the old ramp was better. A few trailers have already been damaged. On these low early morning tide days, we're launching at the beach N of La Pinta then taking boats out of the water in the afternoon with the ramp on the higher tides.

I can't upload reports to my site as my main PC died but I decided to switch to Macintosh so my shop and home will go with the new platform. Machines will be shipped this week fro Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico, then we'll be able to report again. I have video of some interesting launches upcoming.
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2007 at 06:37 AM

Say it ain't so!!!!! The whole time they were redoing the rampa, we were just hoping someone was in charge that knew what they they were doing. Sad to think it's not improved. What was the friggin point, to make it look good? Yikes!!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-4-2007 at 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and jane
Say it ain't so!!!!! The whole time they were redoing the rampa, we were just hoping someone was in charge that knew what they they were doing. Sad to think it's not improved. What was the friggin point, to make it look good? Yikes!!

that's mexico folks! too many indians and not enough chiefs!!!:?:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-4-2007 at 11:13 AM

A ramp that ends with a drop-off is tuff to deal with.:o Maybe they could sink some marker-posts, bouy's or something at the drop-off point so people could avoid dropping off the end with their trailers. If the boat needs too much water to launch, maybe it ought to be docked somewhere?:tumble:
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2007 at 03:30 PM

the early morning tides are higher now and this isn't a problem anymore for the pangas but then there's the larger boats. even the Baja Invader had a hard time yesterday and those guys launch every day, professionals at the technique. yeah they made it look better but the problem we had before they did this work remains. sorry all just tellin' it like it is.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.