BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: GRUNION in baja ...?????
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 06:20 PM
GRUNION in baja ...?????

Grunion run from March all the way into September. They are one of the only fish to come completely out of the water to lay their eggs. 90% of the GRUNION run on Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego county beaches.
The farthest South they get was thought to be ABREOJOS but they have been seen at SAN JUANICO.:wow::P
A few years ago POINT CONCEPTION was supposed to be the Northern most spot but someone checked MONTEREY BAY and found these little slippery guys. SAN FRANCISCO BAY and just beyond are the latest finds.:wow::wow::wow:
Dr. KAREN MARTIN is a professor at PEPPERDINE in MALIBU and she runs the sight at www.grunion.org She also gives workshops for grunion greeters in March and April up and down the coast from Imperial Beach, just north of the border, to San Francisco before the runs get started.:O:O:o:o

www.grunion.org

:lol::o:O:spingrin::smug::wow::bounce::P:P

[Edited on 8-10-2007 by cristobal]
Halboo
Nomad

Mood: Bohemian

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 06:41 PM

I love grunion!:D
Pretty, Interesting, Unique, Good to Eat, AND they bring the big flatties into the beach! ;)
Dr. Milton Love says from Southern Baja to San Francisco for our wiggly wee friends.
Go Go Grunion!:lol:
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 07:42 PM

In the Sea of Cortez, they even run in the daytime!!
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 07:45 PM
and....

In the late 60's we frequented San Felipe several times a year. One day, standing on the beach just North of town, we were enjoying the cool water on our toes. I felt something skitter across my feet. I looked down and a few Grunion had slipped up on the beach!! And it was Broad daylight! I've never seen grunion run in the daylight. Lots and lots of times after the sun sets, but never in daylight.

I really don't remember what time it was, but it was bright and sunny. A few more of the little guys came out of the water and pretty soon there were about 40 or 50 of them spawning. They dissapeared almost as quickly as they appeared. To this day, I have never seen annother run in the Sea of Cortez.

Anybody else ever see a Grunion in the daytime? OR in the S.O.C.?

Bedman
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbup.gif posted on 8-9-2007 at 09:11 PM

This came up a few years ago,and it turned out that yes San felipe does have daytime runs of grunion from time to time.
Mr Chuck has seen them on the east cape a number of times:biggrin:
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 09:20 PM

Oh ya, plenty of times, in fact this past spring and the one before that, broad daylight.

Quite a sight to see.

Although I remember a time about 25 years ago at Punta San Jacinto, just north of Camalu, at the shipwreck when there was much more sand on the beach, we saw grunion shimmering in the sunlight while we were climbing on the shipwreck(it was in good enough condition to climb on 25 years ago)

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-9-2007 at 09:36 PM

Cristobal, it is great seeing you here!

Have you been up to the mountain ranchos or out toward Tortugas lately?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bedman
In the late 60's we frequented San Felipe several times a year. One day, standing on the beach just North of town, we were enjoying the cool water on our toes. I felt something skitter across my feet. I looked down and a few Grunion had slipped up on the beach!! And it was Broad daylight! I've never seen grunion run in the daylight. Lots and lots of times after the sun sets, but never in daylight.

I really don't remember what time it was, but it was bright and sunny. A few more of the little guys came out of the water and pretty soon there were about 40 or 50 of them spawning. They dissapeared almost as quickly as they appeared. To this day, I have never seen annother run in the Sea of Cortez.

Anybody else ever see a Grunion in the daytime? OR in the S.O.C.?

Bedman

No.. I doubt if what you saw were grunion. As a marine biology major we studied their habits in depth but I can't say I've heard of them in the SOC before. They are programmed to mate during extreme high tides that occur at night. It's part of their inherent survival.
My guess is your particular encounter was a species of juvenile fish that looks like those slippery buggers.

I have heard of the namesake "bearded grunion" runs. A common problem in some locals on the peninsula.;D I have never targeted that animal..:lol:

The area where I grew up yielded bounties of the elusive, nocturnal fish. We could fill a trash can during peak runs if we wanted. I loved them flour-breaded and fried served with eggs. YUM! Thanks for the memories.

You know, come to think of it, I have seen grunion near the shore(5-10') while diving during the day . Never in large numbers though. But in San Felipe? Hmmmmm? Maybe so.:?:

[Edited on 8-10-2007 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 05:00 AM

Yep, San Felipe. They stand on end and everything just like the grunion, middle of the day. Can't tell ya if they come in at late night, zzzzzz...

BajaRob, you out there? I'm gonna need some extra verification please.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 05:10 AM

Gulf Grunion

Gulf Gunion L. sardina is cousin to the California Grunion L. tenuis.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 07:05 AM

Growing up in South Laguna I'd see grunion runs on any given night during the season...there were lots more running with the full moon tides though.
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 07:38 AM
Hey Chuck

Like you, we have observed the grunion ritual many times during the day at Bahia Santa Maria. Fair Winds, Rob
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 08:06 AM

Sharks, the San Felipe grunion do run in the daytime... I have also seen them... and they do the same behavior as the ones that run at night here in San Diego County.

I do believe the San Felipe web site has photos of them... or used to? www.sanfelipe.com.mx

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 09:00 AM
If you've seen one (or more), You've........

Seen it all.

As a young school-age kid, I went Grunion-Hunting a number of times in Redondo Beach and, later in life, a couple of times with a bunch of friends in the same area. The later trips were notable more for the Beach Parties than the actual Grunion grabbing.

While it was fun at the time, those trips weren't among the most notable of life experiences.

Taste ? OK, but nothing special. I've tasted a lot of fish that were better.

One of those things that you need to do once for the memory.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbup.gif posted on 8-10-2007 at 01:18 PM

One thing that is neat about a grunion run is that a day before that magic moment and they are staging right off the beach they attract lots of good guys,its like having your own chum line,fishing the beach can be great,before,during and after a run!!

Fishing the beach during a run is not to be missed.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 02:17 PM

Amaze your friends & family!

A day or two after the little guys have come up on shore and done their deed you can dig down in the sand and get a handful of the fertilized eggs and throw sand and all into a glass jar with sea water shake vigorously for 20-30 minutes and the eggs will be turn into little tiny fish right before your eyes.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 02:31 PM

http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx/news/grunion.html

[Edited on 8-10-2007 by bajadogs]

cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 04:47 PM
GRUNION ...??????????

DAVID K .....I have NOT been to TORTUGAS or the ranchos the last two years but I DO have a few hundreds packs of VEGE seeds packed and ready to cross the border and head south. I'm thinking that LOBSTER season would be a perfect chance for me to get down.

MEXITRON ... The grunion run the first four nights after the FULL or NEW moon with the 2nd and the 3rd being the best.

GATO ... The eggs need 10 days to mature. It just happens that the next high tide is in 14 days. PERFECT ... If the eggs are missed by the tide ... they could last 14 more days.( large yoke).
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2007 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx/news/grunion.html

PERFECT... what a great photo! Take a look at it Sharksbaja...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.