Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: mange
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 03:10 PM
mange

Recently there was a question regarding mange. We all know that it is a problem in Mexico and many poor dogs suffer from it. It might be good for us all to review mange symptoms and how to treat. I found the following website helpful.http://www.canismajor.com/dog/mange1.html or simply go to google and type in Mange.

bacquito
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 04:58 PM

And remember, it can be transmitted to humans. It won't be fatal, but it sure itches like hell.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 05:29 PM

this sounds gross but really works...here they paint the dogs with old motor oil...very little mange here.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 05:46 PM

Yup... we got mange!!!! 4 dogs and $300. later (not to mention the vet bills so far trying
to diagnose the guy that came home itching 2 months ago!!)
Really imp. to read the info that bacquito referred to.
Several weeks after we got home the 10mth old pup we rescued was diagnosed with dermalitic mange and treated successfully. This is a common mange that is not contagious and often seen in younger dogs. Our old heeler was itching and panting and we did not think it was mange until last week when our other Mexican started itching and then knew for sure when our daughter's Mexican started itching a couple of days ago. They did the scrapings and BINGO. Treated all for of them with an injection that has to be repeated in 2 weeks. All bedding etc needs to be sanitized now and again in 10 to 14 days. Contagious to humans as well. (better known as scabies)
Wish I would have known this several months ago!!!!! Would have saved alot of trouble and angst... especially for our old heeler!!!
Did hear about the motor oil in re: to dermalitic mange... would be a disaster here as the dogs are in the house alot!!!

[Edited on 2007-8-26 by Marie-Rose]

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 07:00 AM

The motor oil and sulphur treatment works. Would cost less than $10 for 4 dogs, less if you use old motor oil.:biggrin:
Selkie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 08:33 AM
mange

Please-please-please!!!!
Don't EVER use motor oil as a mange treatment It is toxic and not effective. I have seen unfortunate dogs home treated in this manner, and it's ugly. Injectable ivermectin given at a dosage of 0.01 cc/10 lbs subcutaneously and repeated in 2 weeks will stop sarcoptic mange, but won't work on demodectic mange. Any competent veterinarian can diagnose these diseases with a skin scraping and a good history. By the way, ivermectin is never given to collies, shelties, or shetland sheepdogs-their livers can't handle it. If you have any regard for your pet, please get proper veterinary care.
Gail Todd, DVM:fire:
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 08:58 AM

Selkie
Is Revolution the medication used montly for the prevention of flea and tick infestations?
This is good news if it will also prevent the recurrence of this mange when we return with the perros in Oct!!!!!

maybe!
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 09:41 AM

WE WISH IT WASN’T NECESSARY TO ADD THIS

In older times, some 30 years ago, dipping dogs with demodectic mange in motor oil was a popular home remedy. Skin exposure to motor oil can cause rashes and skin destruction in severe cases. The hydrocarbons can be absorbed through the skin and cause a dangerous drop in blood pressure. If motor oil is licked off the coat, resultant vomiting can lead to aspiration of motor oil into the lungs and pneumonia. Kidney and liver damage can result from motor oil dipping.

PLEASE: DO NOT DIP YOUR DOG IN MOTOR OIL!

Quote from a respected veterinarian website.
Selkie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 05:36 AM
mange

Yes-Revolution is the monthly preventative for fleas and mosquitoes. It kills ear mites, and will stop sarcoptic mange if it is applied every 2 weeks for 3 treatments. It was successful in treating a group of cats with sarcoptes when injections of ivermectin wasn't practical.
Gail the DVM:)
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 06:38 AM

Sorry if I sound like I am beating a dead horse....BUT, I do not want to go thru this experience EVER again (night ...I've lost count, of sleeplessness)SO
IF we use Revolution monthly while in Baja, we should be also preventing this mange??
OR does it need to only be used monthly for fleas and ticks and then as a treatment for the mange once you have been so unfortunate to have your animals infected?????
Day 3 since first injection and there still seems to be a fair amount of itching going on:fire:

maybe!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 02:11 PM

Jeez,:biggrin: I'm itching just thinking about it.:)Give me another dose of that oil and sulphur.:lol::lol:
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 05:37 PM

Used motor oil for dogs? It's a bad idea, and if you'll do some research you'll find out why. (Gail, thanks for posting.)

Would YOU bathe in used motor oil if someone told you it was good? How about your children? I think not. It might work to kill bugs on dogs but at what price to the dog's health?

You might just as well spray them with RAID. That'll do it...:rolleyes:
Selkie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2007 at 06:24 AM
mange

Marie-Rose-
Yes, once you go through the 3 treatments with Revolution, the monthly treatment should keep away mites.
When I have given ivermectin injections, I tell the owners that the mites will slowly die in about a week. Antihistamine may be helpful for itching.
Gail

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.