BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Surfing Rules......
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 09:35 PM
Surfing Rules......

Awhile back, we Nomads had a sprited debate about secret spots, and how DavidK was always telling everybody about them!! Well, some of you had questions about "the rules", and others inquired about locating a rule book. For those interested, here are a few examples lifted from the SURFING web site. Perhaps we Nomads could start our own set of Baja rules?:?:

These are not in order becuase, frankly, surfers can't count (or read).

RULE NO. 241: A wave is 18 percent better if you arrive by boat.

Rule No. 789: Unless you’re seriously injured it is not OK to ask for help with your wetsuit.

Rule No. 678: Be extra cautious around anyone wearing any sort of hat in the lineup.

Rule No. 465: Never tell anyone you’re waking up early.

Rule No. 309: Wetsuits have gotten really good. Take a leak before you paddle out.

Rule No. 211: Even if you weren’t lucky enough to be part of Surf PE, you will be now when you paddle out before 8am.

Rule No. 121: Wetsuits or board shorts: pick only one.

Rule No. 317: If you haven’t surfed your new gun within one year of purchase, you must sell it to someone who will, (at half the purchase price).

Rule No. 867: More accessories; less respect.

RULE NO. 145: Rashguards haven’t made a comeback yet.

RULE NO. 146: Shortjohns have (unless you’re riding a 6’1” Thruster)

RULE NO. 578: Don’t trust a surf shop without any photos of their local break going off

RULE NO. 278: If you pull back on or miss a set wave, you’re barred from taking the next one (even if no one else is around)

RULE NO. 97: She’s not as impressed as you think.

RULE NO. 40: Getting sprayed is good luck (so get over it).

RULE NO. 68: Under NO circumstance may you harpoon, and if you do, make sure you .

RULE NO. 378: You’ll never fix a ding as good as your local ding guy

RULE NO. 698: If you fall while running into the water, go back and start over

RULE NO. 77: You can’t give advice to a beginner you don’t know (unless he’s in danger)

RULE NO. 95: Never tow with strangers

RULE NO. 523: You surf 50 percent better in a brand-new wetsuit.

RULE NO. 940: Gnarly locals never drink microbrew.

RULE NO. 948: Nothing's more embarrassing than putting your wetsuit on backwards.

RULE NO. 949: …Except maybe not being able to get a new pair of fins to fit in your board.

RULE NO. 298: Hanging on a nice patch of grass after a surf is better than hanging in the sand.

RULE NO. 498: Driving around in your wetsuit is bad luck.

RULE NO. 366: The car parked next to you is not into your pre-surf amp-up music.

RULE NO. 579: Vandalizing a non-local's car will ruin your next road trip.

RULE NO. 1,244: The coolness of your airbrush is in direct correlation to how well you surf.

RULE NO. 47: If you go back to the first spot you checked, you have to paddle out.

RULE NO. 312: You can never find a fin key when you really need one.

Rule NO. 310 – If you watch a webcast of an ASP event, don't comment on it as if you were there.

Rule No. 211 – A good rock jump is like your first good set when everyone’s watching: don’t blow it.

Rule No. 838 – It’s still not cool to call it a skeg.

Rule No. 491 – If you describe your last tube as an “in ‘n’ out,” it wasn’t any good.

Rule No. 660: Never say “one more” out loud.

Rule No. 389: Night surfing sounds cooler than it really is.

Rule No. 651: Surfing in a t-shirt looks better than it feels.

Rule No. 689: Building a board rack in your living room establishes that you are very single.

Rule No. 383: Never claim a tube at Backdoor, Off the Wall, or Pipeline. No matter how bad you want to.

Rule No. 430: Change your wax. Its definitely needs it.

Rule No. 311: Hype the post rain pollution, then go surfing.

Rule No. 241: Once you’ve exchanged pleasantries in the lineup, you can no longer burn them (and yes we said “pleasantries.)”

Rule No. 100: Don’t Stop Believin’

Rule No. 86: Never make a cell phone call from a surf spot; no matter who you’re calling.

Whoa there, Cowboy - pull back on those reins!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 10:39 PM

My dear friend Sculpin... You have been reading my posts as long as I have been online here on Nomad and Amigos de Baja, before... I don't tell secrets if one is given me so... It was no secret if I posted a report on it. In fact, only two people told me about places who also requested I not give exact driving details... and neither of them were surfers!

My last trip report was over an area already well published in guidebooks and maps... and not one mention of a surf break was given.

However, it is such a comedy at how excited some became as if it were somehow a secret and my road log would destroy the ideal surfing spots!!

IT ISN'T EVEN OUR COUNTRY! LOL

I got a nice email from a Mexican national who told me I was acting more like a Mexican than the others because Mexicans share with their friends any good places to have fun at... We Nomads should all be friends who share a common love for Baja and share our travels with each other, knowing we have respect for Baja and always leave a clean camp and take only photos (and a few fish maybe)!

The more Baja travelers that become Nomads and share a common respect for Baja and the back country, the better chance we have a preserving Baja and what we like to do there (camping, hiking, exploring, surfing, fishing, etc.)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 11:14 PM

Rule #1 - there are no rules to surfing
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 05:47 AM

rule 01: no matter how good or bad it is now, it was EPIC an hour ago........

The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 06:58 AM

Come on...lighten up, DK! The entire post is tongue in cheek. You're right - I have known you since the amigo days, and your zeal for baja borders on the evangelical. You take a ton of heat for it. On the flip side, you know me. I am a curmudgeon, but jeez louise - I do have a sense of humor!

Whoa there, Cowboy - pull back on those reins!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 08:54 AM

Guys... I was being a comic as well... No problema... Enjoy your surf and I will enjoy my dirt roads!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2007 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Guys... I was being a comic as well... No problema... Enjoy your surf and I will enjoy my dirt roads!

And I will enjoy my Pacificos (and Sierra Nevadas) listening to Sirius blues around the campfire under the stars.

Zac

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.