BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Red Tide Abreojos/La Bocana ?
cbuzzetti
Nomad

Mood: Lookin for a vacation

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 02:27 PM
Red Tide Abreojos/La Bocana ?

Just got back from fishing San Quintin and ran into a surfer that was telling me about a nasty red tide in Abreojos area that had a large fish kill.
He said it lasted for two weeks.
There seemed to be many gaps in his story after I went through it in my head.
Like why was he there so long if the red tide was there? He is a surfer I figure he would go somewhere else if the red tide is there.
Can anyone local shed some light on this?
Did it affect the lagoons?
How bad was the fish kill if it happened?
Looking for current info.

Thanks,
BajaBuzz

BajaBuzz
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 03:03 PM

Just heard the same thing, but with a few more details.
Thousands of lobster killed, with the season opener right around the corner.
Grouper washed up, the whole nine yards.
Aquaculture near Campo Rene wiped out too.
Really sad news for that "company town."
The guy you mentioned might have hung around because he has a place there...or someone else told him the duration of the event.

Best wishes to the cooperitivo.

The only requirement for love or chorizo is confidence.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 03:04 PM

Buzz,

We just got back from Asuncion this past Sunday and had made a day trip to Abreojos. Drove onto the beach near Campo Rene, and saw nothing but dead fish, eels, lobster, crab, it goes on, yep, severe red tide. Although, living in San Diego all of my life and seeing Red Tide several times, I have never seen it kill marine life, it is just strongly recommended that you don't eat anything from the Sea while it is present.

My buddy was there over the 4th of July and he said the Red Tide was active then as well.

Ran into Capn' George and Deborah there at Abreojos, hey Capn'. Your house is looking sharp. Did you up the square footage on the garage yet?

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 03:21 PM

Yes there has been a red tide... Many of the surfers tried to stay as it started by Campo Rene and started moving up the coast. they tried to stay ahead of it.. but it exploded. Officials from La Paz came over to take a look. Shut down the coop and the desal plant. The desal plant is just now restarting.

Although they seem to happen every year at this time, this is the worst one I have ever seen... I had to leave for a couple of weeks because of the smell at night. Thousands of fish, lobster, etc dead on the beach.

If George decided to stay (brave soul) maybe he has more info.

[Edited on 8-30-2007 by rts551]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 03:47 PM

Is there any large-scale agricultural runoff that occurs in this region? Doesnt seem likely to me but there is speculation that the bad red tides in SoCal and northern Baja from last year might have been caused by ag nutrients in runoff.

If it's occurring down there with no ag runoff then it's probably............gulp,

GLOBAL WARMING !!!!!!!

Somebody get Al Gore or Michael Moore on the phone........PRONTO !!!!!

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 04:11 PM

This is freakin scary stuff especially in a "company town" . the local fishermen do not have any savings accounts and live hand to mouth anxiously awaiting the opening of lobster season to fill the larder...it is going to be a very lean winter for them if the lobster have died off...maybe disasterous. Luckily it didn't reach us up the coast a bit..not yet anway...the coop here is beginning a new aquaculture project to grow abalone seed to have on hand just in case of a disaster such as this so they can immediately re seed the abalone beds...but not possible with lobster.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
cbuzzetti
Nomad

Mood: Lookin for a vacation

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 09:35 PM

Thank you for the reports. Wish the info was false but I guess not.
I have enjoyed my trips there and have plans to go there again. Will have to wait to see how bad the final results are from the fish kill.
Thank you everyone for the current info.

BajaBuzz

BajaBuzz
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 10:01 PM

When we first read this, we hoped it was just another one of those rumors.

That is just awful news for the town of Abreojos especially with the opening of Lobster season coming soon. :(:( Surfers can move on, but not so easy for the townspeople. I do wonder why it was worse this year. Hope the final results are not REAL bad.

Did it go north at all---near La Bocana?

John and Diane

[Edited on 8-31-2007 by jdtrotter]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-30-2007 at 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowmad
Just heard the same thing, but with a few more details.
Thousands of lobster killed, with the season opener right around the corner.
Grouper washed up, the whole nine yards.
Aquaculture near Campo Rene wiped out too.
Really sad news for that "company town."
The guy you mentioned might have hung around because he has a place there...or someone else told him the duration of the event.

Best wishes to the cooperitivo.

WOW!!!! bad news in any language.... lo siento mucho.......

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2007 at 05:33 AM

water has cleaned up...lobster hopefully will make a quick come back..breed like c-ckroaches and rabbits...less preditors today also..similar as in the N/E lobster industry......

have not been to estero coyote since red tide...will take a peek this week. gotta go, Paco calling, go get some whitefish!

the smell was worse then my sneakers after a hard days work in mid-August!!

cap'n g

decided to build a 2,346,000 sq ft garage, bought a cruise ship....

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2007 at 10:32 AM

Glenn

Went fishing with Steve and the red tide extended out at least a mile in some spots (like in front of my house). Lots of different fish on the beach this year
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2007 at 10:58 AM

Right... they can use it to buy fly traps... they are going to be everywhere... and maybe there is a live bait market for them. Oh wait, you are the fly fisherman

[Edited on 8-31-2007 by rts551]
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2007 at 12:48 PM

flies not a problem, I leave my sneakers (tennies to you CA whiners!)outside our door, flies don't come near our casa.

fly fishermen? the worlds greatest conservationists.....they never catch anything!

with love and best wishes to all. Mr Nice Guy aka cap'n g

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 8-31-2007 at 01:02 PM

Sounds like some place you guys got down there. The residents talk in code, and all you have to do to catch a fish/lobster is walk down to the beach and pick one up.:lol:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2007 at 12:20 AM

A buddy of mine rolled up further south after spending a night or so in Abre. He described a disaster zone. He actually paddled out and described being regularly bumped by good size, red tide-crazed and dying fish in the water. He also said that he couldn't take a step without his foot finding a dead fish on the bottom.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.