Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: If you have Sirius Radio in Baja
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 06:50 PM
If you have Sirius Radio in Baja

or anywhere...just trying to keep it on Baja

If you have an antenna up for a unit in your house and you have another FM radio, tune it to 88.10 and you can receive the signal on any radio within range. You have to listen to whatever the box is set on but you dont need another unit.

My husband listens to Sirius on his single side band.

oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 07:31 PM

I need to stop by and talk to Jim about this. I have Sirius radio here in Los Cabos and cannot get a signal. I'll stop by and see you.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 07:47 PM

Judy

I don't think that will work with the home unit, if your using the auto modulator unit yes. My home unit needs a cable.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2007 at 07:55 PM

Comi
It is a home unit. It is on the stereo in the showroom of our office building. Jim's office is upstairs and the boombox is downstairs. The antenna is located outside a window to the office.

BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 07:38 AM

My guys turn on their FM portable radio at job sites to pick up the Siruis radio from inside the work truck. They love it. Their favorite station is Pulse and a couple of the Spanish music channels.

This only works with the Sirius units that have a built-in FM transmitter to send the signals wireless to your car radio. Not all do. We have three radios, and two of them use a cassette tape adaptor to get the audio into the car radio.

BTW, if you have a unit with the FM transmitter, the frequency may not be on 88.1 because this is user selectable. The FM radio will only pick up whatever channel the Sirius radio is tuned to and the range is usually not more than 100 yards from the unit.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BCSTech
My guys turn on their FM portable radio at job sites to pick up the Siruis radio from inside the work truck. They love it. Their favorite station is Pulse and a couple of the Spanish music channels.

This only works with the Sirius units that have a built-in FM transmitter to send the signals wireless to your car radio. Not all do. We have three radios, and two of them use a cassette tape adaptor to get the audio into the car radio.

BTW, if you have a unit with the FM transmitter, the frequency may not be on 88.1 because this is user selectable. The FM radio will only pick up whatever channel the Sirius radio is tuned to and the range is usually not more than 100 yards from the unit.

I have a Serius car kit and a boombox. While on the road throughout Baja, and while in my house in Mulege, I keep the frequency set on 90.3. Very clear! :bounce:

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 10:38 AM

Can you get Sirius on a single side band? How, what frequency?? Can I get it on a little "yacht boy SSB"? I'm really enjoying the Gypsies Sirius 71 Jazz Cafe...very nice with the champagne brunch!;)

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 11:04 AM

I think someone would have to take it on their own to retransmit Sirius on SSB, and then you're probably only talking about a few channels at best.

Sirius broadcasts are encrypted and delivered over S band satellite operating at 2.3 GHz. They also deliver a feed over Ku band satellite, and most of their channels are available thru Dish Network on all but the basic DN subscription level.

Sirius subscribers can also log on to http://www.sirius.com and listen through their computer. If you're not a subscriber, you can get a free 3-day trial.

My fovorite channel? Sirius Disorder on Ch 70.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 11:50 AM

Tech, you're a deadhead?

Shari, our single side band radio has FM channels...you know like short wave, medium..etc...AM and FM. We put it on FM and get sirius from our boom box.

I dont know about user selectable but we are using that frequency(88.1) on our first old unit(Sanyo, my friend who works for Sirius swore that there was no such animal) because the sirius brand, model starmate, that we bought a few months ago came with instructions to tune to that frequency. For reasons known only to the radio gods it also worked on our old unit, which is docked on a boom box,with our SSB.

I wish someone had been in the bushes with a video camera to have caught my husband and I in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn in Winston-Salem with the laptop in our rental car trying to get this thing initiated....we were using the wireless at the hotel and I would have to run up to the front doors, check the instructions and then run back to the rentacar to tell him what to do. There were several dirty words said during this process. BUT it sure was nice the next day to have it to listen to as we drove to Columbia. The only problem in the states is finding an empty spot on the FM tuner. Here in Baja there is nothing but empty frequencies.;D

BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Tech, you're a deadhead?
What? Hardly! Disorder was on 32 until a few days ago when Sirius moved the Grateful Dead Channel there. I had to pull over until I could find Disorder again ON 70. :O

Something about those extended GD "garage band" solos that's lost on me. Was hard enough to sit through them years ago, let alone hear them over and over again now... Same reason I can't stand Oldies stations (other than occasionally the Sinatra Channel, but much of the music there is from before I was born).
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 01:19 PM

Thanks, I wondered what happened to Disorder, one of my favs too!
70 is Planetjazz? but they are playing the Rolling Stones

Boy am I confused....:no:

[Edited on 9-16-2007 by bajajudy]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 02:43 PM

We transfer our Sirius unit from the boombox in the house to the car. We were very surprised one day when we had the unit in the house, left it on for the dogs --:lol::lol: and as we pulled out of our driveway, the radio in the truck was on, and we were really surprised to hear Sirius for several yards. So yes, it worked for us. :yes::yes:

BTW does anyone else have their Sirius fail on the mesa by the El Rosario Army Check? Not everytime, but most of the time the signal fails right there. It does not surprise us when it fails by Los Pinos with all the trees, but on the open mesa?

We think there may be UFOs lurking in the area and messing up the signal. :tumble:

Diane

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 02:57 PM
Diane, We have XM radio

We lost signal at the El Rosario check point also. Yep ufo's for sure.k:smug::O:rolleyes:

[Edited on 9-16-2007 by Keri]

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Thanks, I wondered what happened to Disorder, one of my favs too!
70 is Planetjazz? but they are playing the Rolling Stones

Boy am I confused....:no:
I think Sirius is having trouble with updating their listing guide. I just rechecked my car radio and Disorder is on 70, and the message crawler says Disorder. But when I browse by Category, channel 70 doesn't show up under the "Rock" category, which is the category where Disorder used to be located. Instead 32 is now incorrectly listed there as Disorder instead of The Dreadful Great Channel.

This is what caused me so much confusion the other day. I had to thumb up channel by channel until I found Disorder.

I'm listening right now over Internet and Disorder is listed as channel 70 there.

Maybe that's why they call this channel "Disorder?" :spingrin:

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 03:02 PM

Yes Keri it happens there I don't know why, some sort of interference. Personally think its tooo cold there for anything to work.

[Edited on 9-16-2007 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2007 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
We transfer our Sirius unit from the boombox in the house to the car. We were very surprised one day when we had the unit in the house, left it on for the dogs --:lol::lol: and as we pulled out of our driveway, the radio in the truck was on, and we were really surprised to hear Sirius for several yards. So yes, it worked for us. :yes::yes:

BTW does anyone else have their Sirius fail on the mesa by the El Rosario Army Check? Not everytime, but most of the time the signal fails right there. It does not surprise us when it fails by Los Pinos with all the trees, but on the open mesa?

We think there may be UFOs lurking in the area and messing up the signal. :tumble:

Diane

We usually lose it there as well...I always wondered if the Army had equipment that might interfere with the radio....

Zac

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.