Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: "Talk Like a Pirate Day"
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-19-2007 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
When are they going to have a "Talk like a South-Central L.A. pimp" day?

I be knowin dat mu***a.

Personally, me myself tink dat be good.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2007 at 06:15 PM

From my land-locked home province ( a sea of grain):

"The Last Saskatchewan Pirate" - The Arrogant Worms
We stumbled upon this little ditty while doing research on the Net in regards to seminal pirate songs. While we're not terribly familiar with the work of The Arrogant Worms we couldn't help but smile at their chutzpah. I mean who would have thought there'd be pirates in Canada? Not us, that's for sure. Then again the pirate spirit has the uncanny ability of manifesting itself anywhere it damn well pleases, Canada included.

Based on the first verse and chorus, this song is about a chap who just couldn't take it anymore. Instead of telling his bosses to take their job and shove it, he decided he'd shove it to the man, pirate style.

"The Last Saskatchewan Pirate" excerpt:
Well, I used to be a farmer and I made a living fine/
I had a little stretch of land along the C. P. line/But times got tough, and though I tried, the money wasn't there/The bankers came and took my land and told me, "Fair is fair"/I looked for every kind of job, the answer always no/"Hire you now?" they'd always laugh, "We just let twenty go!" (Ha ha!)/The government, they promised me a measly little sum/But I've got too much pride to end up just another bum/Then I thought, who gives a damn if all the jobs are gone/I'm gonna be a pirate on the river Saskatchewan! (Arr!)

{Refrain:}
And it's a heave (ho!) hi (ho!), coming down the plains/
Stealing wheat and barley and all the other grains/And it's a ho (hey!) hi (hey!), farmers bar yer doors/When you see the Jolly Roger on Regina's mighty shores…

http://music.ign.com/articles/718/718259p1.html

The Arrogant Worms are quite a popular band!

It's the sailin' life fer me - Avast, thar she blows, we need all she's got, she's breakin apart at warp 10 cap'n (whoops that's a diferent ship). Where's me captains' log? It mus' be aboot here sumwhere's, eh? Perhaps aboard me prairie schooner...
:lol:

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2007 at 06:39 PM

Ay...... Ere' be a wee ditty.

Stormy the night and the waves roll high,
Bravely the ship doth ride,
Hark! while the lighthouse bell's solemn cry
Rings o'er the sullen tide.
There on the deck see two lovers stand,
Heart to heart beating, and hand to hand;
Tho' death be near, she knows no fear
While at her side is one of all most dear.

What of the storm when the night is o'er?
There is no trace or sign.
Save where the wreckage hath strewn the shore,
Peaceful the sun doth shine.
But when the wild, raging storm did cease,
Under the billows two hearts found peace,
No more to part, no more of pain,
The bell may now tell its warning in vain.

Loudly the bell in the old tower rings,
Bidding us list to the warning it brings:
Sailor, take care! Sailor, take care!
Danger is near thee, beware! Beware!
Beware! Beware!
Many brave hearts are asleep in the deep,
So beware! beware!

Arthur J. Lamb
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.