Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Precautions While Travelling in Baja
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 11:05 PM
Precautions While Travelling in Baja

Since there have been several threads recently of thefts/robberies I was wondering what precautions all of us take while travelling in Baja. Maybe we can learn from each others tips and suggestions.
I will lead off with a few things I do...some of this may be obvious to everyone.
1. I run a cable lock around my spare tire underneath and up over a frame member to keep it from being stolen.
2. To slow down truck thieves I bolt a chain to the inside of the hood at the front and pass it down in front of the radiator but behind the grill and padlock it to the frame member. Keeps the hood from being raised for hot wiring.
3. Bought a "CAR BAR" that locks to steering column instead of to steering wheel.
4. I have a shell over my truck pickup bed with dark tinted windows and I cover my stuff in the back of my truck with a small tarp or moving blanket. Prevents "prying eyes" from checking out my goods.
5. I lock everything up - gas cap, rear shell tailgate window, truck doors, trailer doors, etc. while underway. If I am stopped I have to unlock it B4 anyone can access it.
6. My truck rear window is a slider. The shell front window is a slider. Right below the shell window at the front of the truck bed I put a plastic tub. I open up both slider windows from inside the truck cab and put valuables in this tub and close up the windows. If someone wants to inspect they won't bother to open up the sliders and the tub is too far forward of the rear of the truck to get to so it won't be looked at with all the stuff in front of it.
7. With the tub used in #6 I put inexpensive things in the door pockets and glove compartment (e.g. playing cards, dictionary, wisk broom, gloves, etc.) that I can stand to lose.
8. The last items I put in the back of my truck are my emergency gear / tools / lights. If I break down its all there at the tailgate ready to be deployed.
9. When I get to a campsite I don't vomit out all my gear / equipment to be seen by Mexicans and gringos alike. I prefer to go slow and take out only minimal items to relax and set up camp. Later when its dark I will get out more things after I get the lay of the area.
10. NEVER take $100 bills into Mexico nor give change to someone for a $100 bill. They are to damn hard to get rid of. At least the old ones!!
11. I keep a copy of this on my computer in my Baja folder and read it every time I get ready to head south.
Your thoughts...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 11:44 PM

you're nutz....but i'll bet you don't have many problems......:light:

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 11:51 PM

I carry traveler's checks. Any bank will cash them, but I usually use them for reserve funds. If a robber sees me with so much in traveler's checks, he just might think that I don't have any other money anywhere. Other than that, I try to not bring anything with me that I will miss too bad if it gets stolen.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 12:44 AM

Drive during the day.

Pay in Pesos when possible.

Don't be austentatious in display of wealth.

Don't wash our motor home.

Do not allow people to see inside of our motor home.

Park in well used, highly visable places.

Use small denominatin bills.

Keep valuables stashed in hidden places as much as possible.

Always be aware of surroundings.

Park with others. Isolation creates more vulnerability.

There is not absolute immunity to crime. Where there is poverty, there is crime.

These are thoughts off the top of my head.

Iflyfish
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 12:46 AM

To which I might add.

Don't get drunk in public.

Stay away from drugs and people who use them in Mexico.

Iflyfish
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 02:41 AM

D-O-G ...nuff said.

$ stashed in ingenious location(s), never more than $60 at the ready but also stashed.

Everything else I consider disposable.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 08:36 AM

A hidden kill switch might be a good idea :light:

Run it to the fuel pump, they will still be able to restart the car, but only travel a little distance down the road before it dies....in the middle of the road.

As soon as you are "pulled over" turn it off. Mount it under the carpet where you can easily reach it without it being seen, or without you being seen hitting it.

Of course they may get peeed and come back and shoot you; but being sneak thieves they will probably high tail it out of there in their buddies vehicles, leaving your vehicle where it died.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 02:16 PM

We wash our car very little-it does not look worth stealing:coolup: We do not carry alot of cash with us, we have an account at Banomex, if we run low on "lana". I like the idea of putting valuables between the camper cabin sliding window and the rear sliding window of the truck

bacquito
Jig

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 08:03 PM

Carry your ATM card and enough cash to get you by. Hide any extra cash in you freezer or ice chest in a white envelope under the ice cubes enclosed in a plastic freezer zip loc bag. My truck is wired so that the ignition will not complete the circuit to the starter with out having the cigar lighter pushed in, this works! Keeping in crowded areas is a must. Don't be brave and set up camp on isolated beach or some off road area. Don't drive at night. Carry a cell phone or a CB. A very important thing to do is to have an emergency number posted in your truck just in case some needs to make a call that could save your life.
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jig
Don't be brave and set up camp on isolated beach or some off road area.

UNderstand your intent and not trying to be a smart @ss at all, but if you can't camp on an isolated beach or remote area, what's the point of going to Baja?

Like your idea of an emergency number visible in your rig...note to self. I'll be traveling solo and in remote areas next week.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunman
Quote:
Originally posted by Jig
Don't be brave and set up camp on isolated beach or some off road area.

UNderstand your intent and not trying to be a smart @ss at all, but if you can't camp on an isolated beach or remote area, what's the point of going to Baja?

I agree.
What's the point of camping in Baja, if you are going to camp in a crowd? You can do that any place in the states....Unless you like the party atmosphere, of course. One of the joys of Baja is being able to see a place not many people have, and having it fairly pristine, with little to no trash, graffiti, loud music, etc.

I fully subscribe to the old saying: "Bad roads, good people; good roads, bad people." A thief is not going to drive for hours over a tough road on the off chance there is going to be someone at the end of it whom they can rob. They are going to stick close to a paved or nicely graded road with easy access in and out.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2007 at 12:33 PM

10-4 on that taco de baja!! kind of cool to be able to drive as far back into a canyon as possible, then leave vehicles,etc. there for a few days while ya backpack around the area...i don't think i'd take that chance here in alta california....
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
I agree.
What's the point of camping in Baja, if you are going to camp in a crowd? You can do that any place in the states....Unless you like the party atmosphere, of course. One of the joys of Baja is being able to see a place not many people have, and having it fairly pristine, with little to no trash, graffiti, loud music, etc.

I fully subscribe to the old saying: "Bad roads, good people; good roads, bad people." A thief is not going to drive for hours over a tough road on the off chance there is going to be someone at the end of it whom they can rob. They are going to stick close to a paved or nicely graded road with easy access in and out.

My only comment here ... I've been spooked off two very remote beaches, and the threat came in off the water. I was probably ok, but I didn't want to chance it.

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jig
My truck is wired so that the ignition will not complete the circuit to the starter with out having the cigar lighter pushed in, this works!

I've never read that here before! That sounds easy enough (well..at least for someone, not me) Does that prevent hotwiring under the dash? (Or have I been watching too much television?)

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 9-24-2007 at 08:35 PM

On the freezer thing......most thieves know to look in the fridge/freezer, bottom of the garbage pail, bottom of the dirty laundry, taped to the bottom of a drawer, inside the toilet tank, on top of cabinets, under the mattress, under the floor mats or carpets and inside the air filter. I think you have to be more creative.

On the fuel pump thing. A big V8 is gonna suck that line dry pretty fast, I would want them a little further away. The good kill switches give you about 2 min before they cut power. If you are handy with soldering and reading basic schematics it is very easy to wire a 555 IC chip with a relay, variable capacitor and variable resistor to do the job nicely for under $5. Hit a small momentary switch and the timer starts counting.

If you really are worried about loosing a valuable asset in TJ or other big border town invest in a GSM or CDMA GPS/Cell triangulation device. Easily concealed, you log into a secure website to view coordinates, direction,speed, heading and battery life. You can even export data to google earth. battery lasts about 5-6 days. You can get something like this for about $400 and monthly monitoring plans in 3,6,or 12 months run about $19 per month.

I just put one of these in for a buddy and it is slick and kinda spooky.

No I don't sell them but they are easy to find. Try www.supercircuits.com

Another trick is the exploding shoe box. Get yourself a small cardboard box like a shoe box or smaller put a blockbuster or ashcan fireworks device in it. Fill it with Styrofoam pellets and the device, rig an electric match to it and wire to the dome light with a hidden on off switch. Guaranteed to scare the pants off anyone and disorient them.

Our place in Mexico has a buried 3" titanium aerial salute that is quite a distance from the house. These are the nice chest thumpers you get at the end of a fireworks shoot. Walk into the wrong place in the house and it will fire up into the air about 500 ft before detonating. The neighbors know what this means.

Yeah I am extreme but you only live once. The shoe box trick only ever went off once and it was in my friends bar, The fore n' aft in White Plains. He kept getting broken into and having his booze stolen. Never happened again after that.

The one in my bus never went tested. I would have loved to see the face on those guys when the bar one went off.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 11:54 AM

There are alot of good ideas from seasoned Baja veterans on the board...keep them coming!!

Here are a few more things I do / practice while down in Baja

1. I don't pick up hitchikers unless we happen upon an accident or something where aid/transport is required to those in need. What if the hitchiker was carrying something illegal and was searched at a checkpoint and busted?...I would be implicated by association.

2. When I'm camped at a remote location, I prefer not to carry my keys around with me while kayaking, boating, surfing, or beachcombing. To solve this problem I bought a lock box padlock from Home Depot. It looks like a big fat padlock with a compartment that stores your keys. When I go out kayaking I lock up the trailer and put the trailer keys in the truck. I then lock up the truck and put the truck keys in the lock box that is locked to the trailer frame. The lock box is opened by a combination. If you drive your truck to a remote location you can use the lock box by locking it to your trailer hitch. Another option I'm looking into is a box that locks into your receiver hitch that stores your keys. It too opens by combination.

3. I DO NOT reveal my travel plans to anyone (Gringos especially) while in Baja. I have run into Gringos in Baja who are down there for questionable reasons. One time I was at a small village on the coast helping pull a Mexican truck out that was stuck in the sand on the beach. Afterwards an American came up to us and during the conversation he told us he was staying at a relatives house in the village because there were arrest warrants out for him in the Bay area and he went down there to let things cool down. I've run into Gringos travelling alone and now I ask myself 'is this person down here because they like Baja or are they down here for other reasons'?

4. While parked at my campsite, I use cablelocks on items I consider valuable and lock them to my trailer frame.

5. I keep a machete next to the bed just in case I need to put up a fight at night or anytime for that matter.

6. I try to get acquainted with the local Mexicans when I arrive at a town or camp and only do business with them. I speak very good spanish and it helps a great deal especially if I need help. The more you get to know the locals, the more they will go out of their way to help you.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.