Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A Nomad Challenge
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 12:21 PM
A Nomad Challenge

Most of you who have homes in Baja have adopted a project or two in your community and we all know one cannot adopt all of the deserving projects.

Anyone who viewed this thread The Youngest Lobos Marinos in action knows that we have decided to seek assistance for the Mountain Bike team, the Lobos Marinos of Bahia Asuncion.

We fully expected to seek this assistance through contacts we have who are involved in mountain biking and were surprised, but happy when Deb offered assistance with some springs. Then another bombshell fell out of the sky.

A Nomad who knows and loves the Bahia Asuncion area, but at this time requested he remain anonymous, sent us a U2U and offered the following.

He will match dollar for dollar any Nomad donation for the Lobos Marinos up to a total of $400.00. Yes, the money would go through us which involves a leap of faith, but we would ask Shari to verify what happens. We would not be asking for Nomad donations, but this matching offer is just too good to ignore.

The team needs everything used but better bikes, parts, helmets, tires, and a trailer for transport. It takes a long time to tie the bikes into the back of the truck. From the youngest to the oldest member, they share what they have with each other

Again, while we were surprised and welcomed Deb’s offer, we would not be asking for donations ---- but just can’t turn down the offer to match funds.

Diane and John

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Most of you who have homes in Baja have adopted a project or two in your community and we all know one cannot adopt all of the deserving projects.

Anyone who viewed this thread The Youngest Lobos Marinos in action knows that we have decided to seek assistance for the Mountain Bike team, the Lobos Marinos of Bahia Asuncion.

We fully expected to seek this assistance through contacts we have who are involved in mountain biking and were surprised, but happy when Deb offered assistance with some springs. Then another bombshell fell out of the sky.

A Nomad who knows and loves the Bahia Asuncion area, but at this time requested he remain anonymous, sent us a U2U and offered the following.

He will match dollar for dollar any Nomad donation for the Lobos Marinos up to a total of $400.00. Yes, the money would go through us which involves a leap of faith, but we would ask Shari to verify what happens. We would not be asking for Nomad donations, but this matching offer is just too good to ignore.

The team needs everything used but better bikes, parts, helmets, tires, and a trailer for transport. It takes a long time to tie the bikes into the back of the truck. From the youngest to the oldest member, they share what they have with each other

Again, while we were surprised and welcomed Deb’s offer, we would not be asking for donations ---- but just can’t turn down the offer to match funds.

Diane and John

I won't be there until Mid/end of Jan....but I will donate a:
TREK 7000 all aluminum frame
Motiv Gel seat
7 rear sprockets
3 pedal sprockets (don't know how many speeds)
Not new and has one scratch
needs off road tires
If you think it will help I will bring it or someone can pick it up sooner.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
jorgie
Nomad

Mood: on the road....again,again

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 02:50 PM

GREAT IDEA.........how does a person contribute from a distance ??????
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 03:28 PM

Al,

That is just terrific! We hope to be down there most of January, but never know for sure. We will keep in contact. It will be VERY appreciated. :yes:

In our search we even look for parts that can be put together. Right now they have a real need for a 24" double suspension bike for a new young rider.

Jorgie,
We are at our Imperial Beach home for a couple of weeks and a couple people are mailing us checks here. U2U if that is something you might be interested in doing. We will cash and either let them spend the money there, or shop for items here that they want. We will let them decide.

Thanks

Diane

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 03:57 PM

I'm with jorgie, I think this is a great idea.....so will you u2u your address in Southern California so we can get our checks to you?

Do you want others to u2u also?

I hope other Nomads pick up on this challenge too. There is an opportunity to bump this to $800 or more if we pitch in $400. That sounds like a good deal.

I noticed that the other teams had spiffy bikes, nice uniforms and classy helmets.

This is a nice community project that creates good will between the cultures and provides Nomads with a positive image in the community. Win/Win.

I hope you will keep us posted and thanks for picking up on this.

Iflyfish
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 04:05 PM

bump
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
I'm with jorgie, I think this is a great idea.....so will you u2u your address in Southern California so we can get our checks to you?

Do you want others to u2u also?

I hope other Nomads pick up on this challenge too. There is an opportunity to bump this to $800 or more if we pitch in $400. That sounds like a good deal.

I noticed that the other teams had spiffy bikes, nice uniforms and classy helmets.

This is a nice community project that creates good will between the cultures and provides Nomads with a positive image in the community. Win/Win.

I hope you will keep us posted and thanks for picking up on this.

Iflyfish

No problem sending the address now. Not only are the other teams better equiped, they all had nice sun shades---our team had an old tent with screened sides---not a good alternative in the heat. So with the end of season sale at REI, we have taken care of that problem. We were not going to mention that, but since this challenge came up, we want others to know that we are not just asking others to help.

In a U2U, one person is donating some children's helmets---this is all so unexpected, and so appreciated.

Diane and John

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 05:27 PM

Hi Diane and John .. can we paypal you our donation for you to spend as you deem appropriate? or a check can be sent too .. just need a USAddy ..
Hearts are a-smilin' everywhere .. Lori
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
Hi Diane and John .. can we paypal you our donation for you to spend as you deem appropriate? or a check can be sent too .. just need a USAddy ..
Hearts are a-smilin' everywhere .. Lori

Thanks Lori,
We will be here at our home here for a couple of weeks---don''t have paypal, but will U2U our address here in the states.

Then we will make sure our anonymous challenge person matches your donation. We will also let you know how the money is spent.

I think I should make a poster out of one of the pictures of our youngest member that I posted on the other thread---either the one of dad putting on his helmet, and or the one of him saluting with mom and dad along side----he is hard to resist.

Thanks again
Diane and John

[Edited on 10-11-2007 by jdtrotter]

Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 08:27 PM

Ok jdtrotter, since you were (if I remember correctly) from Imperial Valley when you actually had to go to work every day, I will U2U for address to send some money. Later----------------- bajafun777

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2007 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
Ok jdtrotter, since you were (if I remember correctly) from Imperial Valley when you actually had to go to work every day, I will U2U for address to send some money. Later----------------- bajafun777

Go to work every day??? Oh ya, I remember that. Yes, we taught high school in Calexico for a wonderful five years---

Thanks!!!

Diane and John

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 12:49 AM

bump
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 01:56 PM

bump
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 02:11 PM

Thank you to those who have responded here or through U2U---the money and equipment will be such a boost for the club.

Thank you Fernando for inviting me to be on you show. I need to buy a new cell phone so I can hear you better next time. We also appreciate you checking with some of your contracts regarding parts---any and all spare parts are needed.

Diane

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 04:28 PM

HoseA

That is PLENTY for the young members--more than we need right now, but they want to grow the club and will be able to do so with more resources. Also, they can and will share with other teams---we observed that happening at the last race.

What a generous gift---can't thank you enough. Look forward to meeting you----nice thing, we won't have to worry about customs wondering why we have so many helmets for children.

Thanks Again
Diane and John

debindesert
Nomad

Mood: Amused

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 07:27 PM

Hose A

You are sooo "KOOL"

DIRTBIKE.JPG - 37kB

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, \'What a ride!\' - Author Unknown
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2007 at 07:34 PM

Kudos Hose A, what a colorful collection! I'll bet those kids will be stoked!

Iflyfish
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 08:32 AM

In Ensenada on the way to Estero Beach I saw a secundo (sp?) with a ton of bikes. I don't know for nada about bikes, but I wouild imagine that they must have some good used ones down there?

The head of a State drug rehab program once said to me while fishing together "you know, the majority of people who I see simply do not know how to have fun". I think you are right on Shari. Sports offer a very positive alternative to drugs for kids. Thanks for sharing how it really is in your village.

Iflyfish

Iflyfish
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
In Ensenada on the way to Estero Beach I saw a secundo (sp?) with a ton of bikes. I don't know for nada about bikes, but I wouild imagine that they must have some good used ones down there?

Iflyfish

Always worth a look. Mountain bikes, especially ones good for racing, are very special bikes and very expensive new. The two Giant bikes that our team has and are shared between the teens and adults are still pretty good bikes---they were bought used and were still quite expensive. At best, they have been able to add one bike a year.

We are working on sources for good used equipment and any suggestions are welcomed. IMHO, while it is good to get the little kids hooked on the sport, decent equipment so they are more competitive is really important for the teens and young adults so they stay involved.

Thanks
Diane and John

[Edited on 10-12-2007 by jdtrotter]

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2007 at 01:39 PM

Exactly and hopefully one day some uniforms, kids love uniforms, do you see in the photos how the other towns have their kids outfitted in nice gear! It sounds like the bikes are a real high priority.

Iflyfish

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.